PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question

Lorenzo Barcelo
05-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Daver has mentioned in the past that the Twins would not promote a player to another level until they learned the fundamentals and "got it." Lets say Sale and Beckham were in the Twins system. What do you think the eta would have been to be called up to the majors, and where would they be presently if in the Twins system?

LITTLE NELL
05-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Since both had some college baseball and had to know some fundamentals, Beckham should have spent a year and a half in the minors, so he would be ready at the start of this year.
Same with Sale except he would not be ready until 2012, since we drafted him a year after Beckham.

DumpJerry
05-11-2011, 10:58 AM
The scouting services rated Sale as the only "MLB ready" player when the draft took place. He might have been with The Show this year if the Twinks had gotten him.

khan
05-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't think we can say for sure with either player. With Sale, would they have drafted a guy with questionable mechanics? [They didn't draft Prior, although perhaps some of that decision was due to signability, too.]

That said, I'm pretty sure that the Twins wouldn't let a guy like Beckham spin his wheels for half of 2010 and most of this season before sending him down.

With Sale, I also don't think they'd let him humiliate himself with a >6.5 ERA, or hold the rest of the team hostage with his inconsistent performances. For that matter, given that they're a smaller market club, they probably wouldn't start his arb clock while he struggles in MLB.

To be fair, I'm guessing that the Twins have more MLB-ready depth to replace Beckham and Sale as well. So sending these two down probably wouldn't be as big a deal to them.

KMcMahon817
05-11-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't think we can say for sure with either player. With Sale, would they have drafted a guy with questionable mechanics? [They didn't draft Prior, although perhaps some of that decision was due to signability, too.]

That said, I'm pretty sure that the Twins wouldn't let a guy like Beckham spin his wheels for half of 2010 and most of this season before sending him down.

With Sale, I also don't think they'd let him humiliate himself with a >6.5 ERA, or hold the rest of the team hostage with his inconsistent performances. For that matter, given that they're a smaller market club, they probably wouldn't start his arb clock while he struggles in MLB.

To be fair, I'm guessing that the Twins have more MLB-ready depth to replace Beckham and Sale as well. So sending these two down probably wouldn't be as big a deal to them.

You really think sale has "embarassed" himself?