PDA

View Full Version : White Sox comments in Sports Illustrated


Garrison
07-08-2002, 03:16 AM
I was reading my July 8, 2002 edition of Sports Illustrated and found some interesting references to the White Sox. The MLB midseason report profiled six "young arms" that are doing well so far. Number one was our man Kip Wells. In the scouting report it says "Somebody with the White Sox [who traded Wells last December] is going to lose his job because this kid can really pitch." Don't we all wish this was true!? Boy they are spot on over there. The next section titled "All the Answers" was basically predicted answers to baseball's FAQ like steroids, Bonds HR race, strike, etc. Number 4 was titled "By season's end will there be any managers left named Manuel?" Stephen Cannella answers: "My sources say no. The likely firing of Charlie Manuel by Cleaveland and Jerry Manuel by the White Sox would complete one of the bloodiest seasons ever for skippers." His sources? Does he have an inside scoop that would know about this? I sure hope so. Jerry has got to go. I dunno if this is his ramblings or if there is real truth behind any of it. But they sure share most everyone on this boards opinions on these issues. Also, I just loved the Sosa article by Rick Reilly. I loooooove Rick Reilly.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 05:59 AM
I believe Manuel has 2 years left on his new deal. If they fire him, it won't be till next season. However, Williams did say that he and Manuel don't see eye to eye on the lineups all the time. So, who knows? Maybe he'll get frustrated and fire Manuel.

The thing we have to worry about then is who does Williams bring in?

MarqSox
07-08-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Garrison
Number 4 was titled "By season's end will there be any managers left named Manuel?" Stephen Cannella answers: "My sources say no. The likely firing of Charlie Manuel by Cleaveland and Jerry Manuel by the White Sox would complete one of the bloodiest seasons ever for skippers." His sources? Does he have an inside scoop that would know about this? I sure hope so. Jerry has got to go. I dunno if this is his ramblings or if there is real truth behind any of it.

Interesting, since Baseball Weekly reports in the latest issue that "White Sox sources are saying privately that manager Jerry Manuel's job is secure with two years remaining on his contract."

soxtalker
07-08-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I believe Manuel has 2 years left on his new deal. If they fire him, it won't be till next season. However, Williams did say that he and Manuel don't see eye to eye on the lineups all the time. So, who knows? Maybe he'll get frustrated and fire Manuel.

The thing we have to worry about then is who does Williams bring in?

Can they move him to another part of the organization -- e.g., scouting or working somewhere in the minor league system?

Related questions:
What about KW -- how many years left on his contract? Can they also move him to another part of the organization for the remaining part of his contract?

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Can they move him to another part of the organization -- e.g., scouting or working somewhere in the minor league system?

Related questions:
What about KW -- how many years left on his contract? Can they also move him to another part of the organization for the remaining part of his contract?

I don't see why they couldn't, but we know that won't happen.

RKMeibalane
07-08-2002, 05:02 PM
The Sox organization is messed up right now. No one wants to play for this team because of Reisdorf. No one who currently is playing for the team is happy because every day is a disaster waiting to happen, especially when Todd Ritchie is on the mound.

This crap has to stop. I don't what it's going to take. Perhaps it is time for Reinsdorf to sell the team and get out of baseball- for good. He's caused more trouble than any owner in recent memory, with the possible exception of Marge Schott.