PDA

View Full Version : Very fair (and good) review of US Cellular

kaufsox
05-10-2011, 03:08 PM
http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/us-cellular-field-s6/#official

I can't argue with very much of this.

doublem23
05-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Excellent find. All I'd say he is selling the Upper Deck short on the experience of watching the game. Yes, it's not like the Lower Concourse for strolling or fooding, but the first few rows of the UD are some of my favorite to sit back and just watch the game from.

Still, shockingly accurate and fair from someone who doesn't seem to be a Sox fan or Chicagoan.

Moses_Scurry
05-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Excellent find. All I'd say he is selling the Upper Deck short on the experience of watching the game. Yes, it's not like the Lower Concourse for strolling or fooding, but the first few rows of the UD are some of my favorite to sit back and just watch the game from.

Still, shockingly accurate and fair from someone who doesn't seem to be a Sox fan or Chicagoan.

If I'm going to 25+ games in a season like I did when I was single and living in Chicago, then the upper deck is fine for most of them. But, now I take my kids and make a day of it for 1-2 games a season. I need lower deck seats. Actually if I can get cheap club level seats on stubhub then that is the way to go.

The upper deck just doesn't have much. It is fine for watching the games, and I don't mind the view even from the higher up seats. The upper deck concourse isn't very good compared to the lower deck. In the old days when you could still go in the lower deck with an upper deck ticket, it was fine. I would arrive an hour before game time and roam the concourse with a beer or four before finding my seat when the game starts. I would never take my 3 and 5 year olds to the upper deck unless it is row 1.

kaufsox
05-10-2011, 04:15 PM

Yep, that's my take too, I actually prefer the upper deck, especially with my kids. I get nervous in good seats with them. Also, I've gotten to know some of the vendors up there and my fellow seat mates, and I don't know, it's just fun. :smile:

russ99
05-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Since they enclosed the 500 level concourse, the food options IMO are pretty much in line with what's available on the main concourse.

I also think that the first 15 rows of the upper deck between the dugouts are some of the best seats in the park. I much prefer lower level tickets, but the upper deck isn't the throwaway it seems. Plus the restrictions don't include the bullpen bar and now Bacardi at the Park, you can hang out there for a few innings.

GlassSox
05-10-2011, 05:28 PM

I agree with you, I like lower rows in upper deck and the view is actually blocked less. Our season tickets allow lower deck access if we want to wander around.

Jpgr91
05-10-2011, 05:30 PM
The article lost all credibility when it rated the neighborhood as 3/5.

kobo
05-10-2011, 05:43 PM
What would you rate it?

doublem23
05-10-2011, 06:24 PM

I think that's a pretty fair rating for Bridgeport, assuming the article is catering to tourists and non-locals. Bridgeport is a great place to live, work, raise your family, ALL THAT JAZZ, but for someone just visiting, eh, it's a little on the lighter side. The park's surrounded by parking lots and there's just not much to do within walking distance. Sure, it's getting better, but it's got a ways to go.

Above average, but still not great.

chisoxfanatic
05-10-2011, 06:27 PM
I think that's a pretty fair rating for Bridgeport, assuming the article is catering to tourists and non-locals. Bridgeport is a great place to live, work, raise your family, ALL THAT JAZZ, but for someone just visiting, eh, it's a little on the lighter side. The park's surrounded by parking lots and there's just not much to do within walking distance. Sure, it's getting better, but it's got a ways to go.

I agree...And that's how all of us who live in this neighborhood like it.

That's my favorite write-up on our ballpark that I've ever read. I like how the writer appreciates Sox fans for being courteous, serious fans.

Foulke You
05-10-2011, 06:36 PM
That is really one of the more fair write ups I've seen on our ballpark. Nicely done. I agree about the parking prices though. $23 is like buying another ticket.

Jpgr91
05-10-2011, 06:40 PM
What would you rate it?

Only one of the examples the author used is located less than 1 Mile from the park. I agree that Bridgeport is catered to families and not the outsider, for that reason I would tend to give it a 1/5 or 2/5.

doublem23
05-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Only one of the examples the author used is located less than 1 Mile from the park. I agree that Bridgeport is catered to families and not the outsider, for that reason I would tend to give it a 1/5 or 2/5.

I think 1/5 is a little harsh. I think we're spoiled in Chicago because we have Wrigleyville which is the quintessential urban ballpark setting, but plenty of teams play in way worse surroundings where there is absolutely nothing to do but drive in and drive home.

3/5 seems good.

kittle42
05-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I think 1/5 is a little harsh. I think we're spoiled in Chicago because we have Wrigleyville which is the quintessential urban ballpark setting, but plenty of teams play in way worse surroundings where there is absolutely nothing to do but drive in and drive home.

3/5 seems good.

Agreed. I'd say 1 or 2/5 compared to parks like Wrigley, Busch, and the like, but 3/5 is certainly realistic when taking into account the number of stadiums that are, by comparison, in the middle of nowhere.

kobo
05-10-2011, 07:13 PM
A 1/5 is what I would have given the area about 25 years ago. It's not just what's around the park, take the neighborhood into consideration as well. I think a 3/5 is the right score.

skobabe8
05-10-2011, 08:25 PM

Doesn't mean there's only 1.

Procol Harum
05-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Great website--a new bookmark for me. Pretty accurate review, methinks--although I believe the neighborhood rating was a bit generous: 2/5 would have been more accurate in terms of attractions, walkability, etc., etc. And his comments about the parking prices are spot-on.

ewokpelts
05-11-2011, 10:37 AM
That is really one of the more fair write ups I've seen on our ballpark. Nicely done. I agree about the parking prices though. $23 is like buying another ticket.the $23 pays for the increased security/cleaning costs associated with tailgating. bears parking isnt cheap either.

Bruizer
05-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Since they enclosed the 500 level concourse, the food options IMO are pretty much in line with what's available on the main concourse.

I also think that the first 15 rows of the upper deck between the dugouts are some of the best seats in the park. I much prefer lower level tickets, but the upper deck isn't the throwaway it seems. Plus the restrictions don't include the bullpen bar and now Bacardi at the Park, you can hang out there for a few innings.

Us season ticket holders in the upper deck have the best of both worlds. Reasonably priced tickets and access to the lower deck, although I end up sitting in my own seats 90% of the time since they're front row seats with a great view of the field. The only time we left them so far this year is when we were surrounded by a pack of kids on a field trip sitting in the wrong seats.

The only good seats in the lower deck in my opinion are the infield seats. Nevertheless, I would rather go to 10 games in the upper deck than 3 or 4 games in the lower deck for the same amount of money. The beer is the same and there is a great selection of food. :cool:

I don't get the "quality of the restrooms" comment. It's not like the urinal at least.

ewokpelts
05-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Us season ticket holders in the upper deck have the best of both worlds. Reasonably priced tickets and access to the lower deck, although I end up sitting in my own seats 90% of the time since they're front row seats with a great view of the field. The only time we left them so far this year is when we were surrounded by a pack of kids on a field trip sitting in the wrong seats.

The only good seats in the lower deck in my opinion are the infield seats. Nevertheless, I would rather go to 10 games in the upper deck than 3 or 4 games in the lower deck for the same amount of money. The beer is the same and there is a great selection of food. :cool:

I don't get the "quality of the restrooms" comment. It's not like the urinal at least.
agree. the lower level men's rooms can turn bad real fast.

kaufsox
05-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Us season ticket holders in the upper deck have the best of both worlds. Reasonably priced tickets and access to the lower deck, although I end up sitting in my own seats 90% of the time since they're front row seats with a great view of the field.

Truly? I love the upper deck too, but I find the first and second row to be blocked by the railings. I feel like I'm doing the bob and weave to watch the game in the gaps of the rails. Of course, maybe I'm just short :D:

Hitmen77
05-11-2011, 11:57 AM
If I'm going to 25+ games in a season like I did when I was single and living in Chicago, then the upper deck is fine for most of them. But, now I take my kids and make a day of it for 1-2 games a season. I need lower deck seats. Actually if I can get cheap club level seats on stubhub then that is the way to go.

The upper deck just doesn't have much. It is fine for watching the games, and I don't mind the view even from the higher up seats. The upper deck concourse isn't very good compared to the lower deck. In the old days when you could still go in the lower deck with an upper deck ticket, it was fine. I would arrive an hour before game time and roam the concourse with a beer or four before finding my seat when the game starts. I would never take my 3 and 5 year olds to the upper deck unless it is row 1.

I agree with this. I think some of the UD seats (lower rows between 1st and 3rd) are great - better than many LD seats, but the upper concourse just doesn't compare with the lower concourse.

Since I go to maybe a half dozen games a year and get a fair mix of lower deck and upper deck games. I don't personally feel the need to access the LD all the time and I'm perfectly fine with my UD-only experience at those games. But, for someone who attends game infrequently, I agree that they're really missing out on experiencing all the great things about the Cell if they can't get to the lower deck.

I guess it depends on what people want in a game experience. If someone is a total diehard fan and just wants a great view of the game and isn't interested in anything but the standard concession amenities, then the UD is perfectly fine. But, like it or not, not every fan has that opinion of what they want to experience at the Cell.

I do agree that the UD concourse offerings has been improved in recent years. It's not only standard fare stands anymore. But still, it's not the same selection as the lower concourse and it doesn't have the same atmosphere of the lower concourse. In fact, on lightly attended games, the upper concourse can feel very barren.

By the way, I used to like getting upper deck tickets from Stub Hub and being able to access the LD because I had a season ticket in my hand. But now, that StubHub has gone to electronic tickets, those tickets no longer get you into the lower deck. I'd imagine that's knocked down the resale value of UD season tickets by some amount.

DSpivack
05-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Great website--a new bookmark for me. Pretty accurate review, methinks--although I believe the neighborhood rating was a bit generous: 2/5 would have been more accurate in terms of attractions, walkability, etc., etc. And his comments about the parking prices are spot-on.

I think it's about right, in comparison to where most ballparks are around the league. Having lived in Atlanta and DC, there's more around USCF than there is Turner Field or Nats Park. Overall, I'd rate it as about in the middle.

Just thinking of the parks I've been to, these don't seem any more 'happening' than USCF and Bridgeport:
-Miller Park is basically just an exit off a highway
-Dodger Stadium is accessible only by car at the top of a hill, despite being close to downtown LA
-Camden Yards may be in downtown Baltimore, but there's nothing within walking distance of the park
-Don't know much about Yankee Stadium and the South Bronx, but it didn't seem there was much 'nightlife' or ballpark eats around there
-Comerica Park may be in downtown Detroit, but that's completely dead

Stadiums/Neighborhoods I'd rate higher:
-Wrigley, as annoying as the neighborhood is
-Coors Field, as LoDo grew up around it
-AT&T Park, which probably has the best 'setting' in all of baseball, right in downtown SF
-The Rogers Centre may be ugly and outdated, but it's right in downtown Toronto

kittle42
05-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Of places I've been, I'll add to this:

Better areas than Cell:
Target Field, Progressive Field, Fenway, Safeco, Busch, Wrigley, Great American Ballpark

Worse/Same:
Miller, Yankee, LAAAAA, Citi, Tropicana

Marqhead
05-11-2011, 01:34 PM
PNC has a nice little ballpark area with bars and stores and such even though it's on the other side of the river from "downtown" Pittsburgh.

goon
05-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Of places I've been, I'll add to this:

Better areas than Cell:
Target Field, Progressive Field, Fenway, Safeco, Busch, Wrigley, Great American Ballpark

Worse/Same:
Miller, Yankee, LAAAAA, Citi, Tropicana

I hate looking at Angel Stadium. Having never been there, but watching it on TV, it looks ugly and sort of cheap (a bunch of rocks that looks like they are plastered to a green tarp, not a pleasant aesthetic).

I thumbed through the ratings, seems like there were only a few lower or on par with the Sox: Progressive Field, Kauffman Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Overstock.blah blah and the Rogers Centre.

Marqhead
05-11-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm glad he mentioned the Cuban sandwich, it just might be the best thing in the park. If you have no had one yet, I highly highly recommend it.

Streets
05-11-2011, 10:07 PM
I hate looking at Angel Stadium. Having never been there, but watching it on TV, it looks ugly and sort of cheap (a bunch of rocks that looks like they are plastered to a green tarp, not a pleasant aesthetic).

I caught a Sox game there three years ago. Found it weird they don't tailgate at all. Wasn't that impressed with the inside, and experience some very rude fans in multiple areas of the park. I mean who treats four nice females, who obviously didn't know much about the park, like crap? LAAAAA fans do.