PDA

View Full Version : Hawkisms

kufram
05-10-2011, 02:35 PM
I try to watch the games on mlb.tv but listen to the radio play-by-play because I think it is better. But I just watched two games in a row and listen to the TV playby. I wonder how many Hawk cliche/catch phrases there are (and translations) that he is almost guaranteed to overuse in every game (along with some translations). I'm not counting "you can put it on the booaard, yes!" because it means Sox runs.

Cat bird seat = hitter's count
Can o' corn = easy catch
He just missed it = pop up
Cancel the post game show = EVERY first hit
Hang Wiffum
Dreaded lead-off walk
Right size, wrong shape = long foul
Mercy
Dadgummit = damn
Big swing no contact = swing and a miss
Lookin' for it, got it
In my 52 years of baseball = insert translation here

I reckon if you took those (and I'm sure a couple more) away from him, he would struggle to call a game.

doublem23
05-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Lately, every game he's bound to say "Don't stop now, boys," at which point I want to punch him through my TV

SephClone89
05-10-2011, 02:37 PM
http://www.heavethehawk.com/Hawkisms.html

#1swisher
05-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Stay fair

it will
it won't

Jim Shorts
05-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Lately, every game he's bound to say "Don't stop now, boys," at which point I want to punch him through my TV

What doub said....

Makes me want to punt puppies and set cats on fire.

miker
05-10-2011, 03:20 PM
"You've got to be bleeping me..."

Marqhead
05-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Big swing no contact = swing and a miss

Big hack, no contack.

SOXSINCE'70
05-10-2011, 05:37 PM
STRETCH! GET ON BACK THERE!
He Gawn.

Gavin
05-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Is "NINTENDO stuff" officially dead?

Noneck
05-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Some are original, most are not. His most original saying is amattabatacola which happens to be the most ridiculous baseball saying I have ever heard.

GlassSox
05-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Matt Abbatacola = broken bat

Noneck
05-10-2011, 06:19 PM

Which makes absolutely no sense.

Crestani
05-10-2011, 07:14 PM
your gonna win 60 games and your gonna lose 60 games, it's what you do in the other 42 that counts"!!

Jim Shorts
05-10-2011, 07:27 PM

Really, at this point, does it have to? This is one I actually don't mind. And I used to bust his Cub fan balls every chance I got. He's gotten pretty good over the years and it's a great "radio name"

delben91
05-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Duck Snort

Sit back, relax, and strap it down (as long as you don't strap it on!) -> Not a true Hawkism, but still the pinnacle of ridiculousness of the Hawk and DJ era.

mzh
05-10-2011, 07:43 PM

I had a chance to ask Matt about this last year. According to him, during a conversation with Hawk, he bet him he couldn't slip his name in during a broadcast. I guess it stuck.

Quentin08
05-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Didn't Hawk start a new one a few weeks ago: "It's all good" ?

Now that we're on a winning streak, we'll probably hear it again soon.

Brian26
05-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Didn't Hawk start a new one a few weeks ago: "It's all good" ?

LOL, yes, but I think that only lasted one game.

SI1020
05-10-2011, 08:02 PM
your gonna win 60 games and your gonna lose 60 games, it's what you do in the other 42 that counts"!! I hate that baseball cliche and wince every time I hear or read it.

Brian26
05-10-2011, 08:05 PM
I've got a couple of favorites, but they are more subtle Hawkisms...sometimes they get lost in the flow of conversation.

First one, he used to use this more often in the 80s. You don't hear it often now, but he'll pull it out of the trunk after a crazy play or something that happens that surprises him or is unexpected. Usually he'll wait a couple of seconds with dead air and then all of a sudden...

Imagine Adam Dunn steals third base.

:hawk
"Hell-o!"

My more recent favorite after a pitching change or managerial move he doesn't like, he always pauses for a few seconds and start his first sentence with...

"All-right....."

#1swisher
05-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Now that Peavy will be back in the rotation.

''the Jakemeister"

PalehosePlanet
05-10-2011, 09:04 PM
A Doc Edwards special, or shot = A weakly hit bloop off the end of the bat in the infield.

Chopper, two hopper.

He gets a _________(insert golf course name) bounce (Usually Bollingbrook) to describe an easy to field ground ball.

Big hat, no cattle = big swing, no contact.

Rack 'em up = a double play turned.

If a hitter has had bad luck he says that he's been "wearing it."

shingo10
05-10-2011, 09:19 PM
It's all good!

That's my favorite. Hope he uses it more.

DonnieDarko
05-10-2011, 10:00 PM
I really liked "Nintendo pitch". Really wish he'd bring it back.

Steelrod
05-10-2011, 11:22 PM
I feel EXACTLY the same way!

Bobby Thigpen
05-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Sacks packed with Sox.

LongLiveFisk
05-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Was Hawk the one who came up with "crooked number"? I don't think I ever heard that before I heard him say it.

LongLiveFisk
05-11-2011, 12:22 AM
"Come on, good two-strike hitter."

Carneyman14
05-11-2011, 12:36 AM
I love the hawk!!!!! :dtroll: I find myself yelling these things at all baseball games now love it!!!!

Foulke You
05-11-2011, 01:04 AM
"Ride him hard and put him away wet!"

"Big Hat, No Cattle"

"Like picking a bowl full of cherries"

"0-2 count so (insert Sox player here) will have to cinch it up, bristle up, and hunker down."

"He's a good looking young player"

"He got a cookie right there"

"The dreaded leadoff walk..."

"This could be trouble!"

"He hit a screamin' mee mee"

I love Hawk :cool:

Nellie_Fox
05-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Looked for it, got it, and missed it.

KMcMahon817
05-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Most of my favorites have been covered. I am a Hawk fan, but I guess I have been listening to him my whole life. There was one a noticed that hadn't been said.

"Come on (insert player name), ball four, base hit."

Shoeless_Jeff
05-11-2011, 04:08 AM
A lot of people hate Hawk. I am not one of those people. :booty:

Dan H
05-11-2011, 04:09 AM
He still talks about a team having two batting coaches and two pitching coaches. I wish he'd stop because that does nothing but take me back to 1986.

Kilroy
05-11-2011, 09:38 AM

I feel EXACTLY the same way!

A couple of weeks ago, I pointed out to my wife that I absolutely hate it when he says this. She asked why and I told her that its the biggest rally killer ever. I cannot think of a time where he said it that didn't immediately precede the end of the inning. The only thing I haven't seen yet is him dropping it and inducing a triple play... but it would! Last night he said it, third out on next batter (of course) , and then my wife says, "I think you're right about that.

A lot of people hate Hawk. I am not one of those people. :booty:

I can see people not liking Hawk... I mean, to each his own, right? What I can't understand is people who find it irritating that he's a homer. He's supposed to be.

Jerko
05-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I hate "dont stop now boys" because he even says it when the Sox are down 10 and a guy walks with two outs. I used to love "stretch", but now that it applies to 200 foot fly balls I'm sick of that one too.

Jim Shorts
05-11-2011, 10:34 AM
@shoeless jeff - this is the first time I noticed your sig quote. Good work.

miker
05-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Don't know how enamored Mr. Abbatacola is with it, but it is an fine example of onomatopoeia!

24thStFan
05-11-2011, 11:06 AM
One of my favorites is: "Ducks on the pond."

kittle42
05-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Hawks' overused crap sure is more palatable when they're winning!

kufram
05-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't hate Hawk, but then I try not to hate anybody because that does more harm to me than it does to them. I also do not mind one bit that he's a homey.... he is supposed to be that.

I don't actually think much of a any baseball commentators... I just don't think they are terribly good. Stoney's ok.

I do think Hawk could be a little more imaginative.

Vestigio
05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
If you missed _______'s (player's name) home run...poof! - said during replays

Good ol' Uncle Charlie - a 12 to 6 curveball

Frozen rope - hard hit line drive

I forget exactly how Hawk says it, but its something about not being able to pull a greased tee with pliers, from his rear end.

LongLiveFisk
05-11-2011, 12:06 PM
I forget exactly how Hawk says it, but its something about not being able to pull a greased tee with pliers, from his rear end.

"Your what hurts?"

Zisk77
05-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I love the Hawk but hate these 3 Hawkisms:

The aforementioned rally killing "don't stop now boys"

Big Hat no Cattle

Stretch (like fingernails on a blackboard)

Some other Hawkisms:

Whether you think you can or you think yo can't, ypur probabaly right.

Show me a guy who can't _________, and I'll show you a loser.

Cooperstown is full of guys who couldn't ______________.

Your what hurts?

You can hang all the clothes in Cook County on that rope.

The "Doyers" lead the _____ 2 to 1. :cool:

Carmine Derriere.

Foulke You
05-11-2011, 04:23 PM
One of the funniest Hawk quotes ever. I remember the first time he dropped that one on the air, I laughed for 5 min straight. Hawk uses it when describing being in a nervous situation. Like bases loaded 3-2 count with 2 outs:

"I tell you what, my sphincter was so tight...you couldn't pull a greased tee out of my behind with a pair of pliers!"

:D:

Crooked Number
05-11-2011, 04:37 PM
As my user name would suggest i have always enjoyed the Hawkeroo.

Here are a couple of my favorite Hawk moments (most of the Hawkisms have been mentioned):

Don't recall the year awhile back, but it was a road game in KC. Of course Hawk is gushing about George Brett. Then, somehow or other, the discussion of hemorrhoids came up. :scratch: Hawk mentioned that Brett suffered from a bad case of them. DJ then quips "uh, i don't know about all that" *long 10 second silence* Hawk: "Everybody gets hemorrhoids DJ."

The other was during Figgins rookie season.
Hawk: Now up is Chone (pronounced it Shown) Figgins.
*long 20 seconds of silence*
Hawk: My partner DJ informs me it's pronounced...Shawn.

You could hear people laughing in the background in the booth. :D:

I also loved his put it on the booaaarrrddd Swisher grandslam call vs Detroit in '08. WSCR plays it sometimes because his voice cracks and its just hilarious.

miker
05-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Duck Snort

Sit back, relax, and strap it down (as long as you don't strap it on!) -> Not a true Hawkism, but still the pinnacle of ridiculousness of the Hawk and DJ era.

I was thinking of this event too. Do you remember what Hawk's reaction was? Muted laughter or stunned silence?

BringHomeDaBacon
05-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Some of the hawkisms really make me wonder exactly what is going on in that booth:

"sit back, relax and strap it down"
"stretch"
"get on back there"
"right size wrong shape"
"ride him hard and put him away wet"
"don't stop now boys"

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Vestigio
05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
One of the funniest Hawk quotes ever. I remember the first time he dropped that one on the air, I laughed for 5 min straight. Hawk uses it when describing being in a nervous situation. Like bases loaded 3-2 count with 2 outs:

"I tell you what, my sphincter was so tight...you couldn't pull a greased tee out of my behind with a pair of pliers!"

Yeah thats it :D:

ChiSoxGirl
05-11-2011, 08:58 PM

The first time I ever heard Hawk say this was while I was watching a Spring Training game in 2006. He and DJ were talking about the El Duque inning against the Red Sox in the ALDS and he used that line to describe how he felt watching that half inning unfold. I swear, I was rolling on the ground for five minutes. I went downstairs and tried to tell my mom when I'd just heard, but was laughing so hard that I couldn't get the words out. :lol:

soxinem1
05-12-2011, 01:07 AM
"You've got to be bleeping me..."

In 30 years of 'Hawkism's' this is my all-time favorite, because of what I actually said many times to fill in the bleep, sometimes with two words that need bleeping.

miker
05-12-2011, 09:07 AM
I think we have enough material here to come up with a Hawkism drinking game, or perhaps a "Random Hawkism Generator" for those Saturday games on Fox.

bluedemon45
06-02-2011, 09:57 AM
I heard it this morning when I was watching Quickpitch on MLBTV where it did the the highlights with both teams annoucers.

When Konerko got the double yesterday, did Hawk say....

"How Do You Get a 16,000 Square Foot House in Scottsdale, Arizona?"

doublem23
06-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Yeah, that's his new little catchphrase whenever Paul does something good.

Time to put the old man out to pasture.

soltrain21
06-02-2011, 10:06 AM

Yes. His time is up as an announcer. Hasn't been good in a while, but he is completely dreadful this year.

asindc
06-02-2011, 10:15 AM
I wonder what size house Carl Yastremski lives in.:tongue:

asindc
06-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Some of the hawkisms really make me wonder exactly what is going on in that booth:

"sit back, relax and strap it down"
"stretch"
"get on back there"
"right size wrong shape"
"ride him hard and put him away wet"
"don't stop now boys"

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

:o:

Hitmen77
06-02-2011, 10:24 AM
I heard it this morning when I was watching Quickpitch on MLBTV where it did the the highlights with both teams annoucers.

I heard that. Ugh. It makes me cringe just hearing it.

bluedemon45
06-02-2011, 10:42 AM
The guy has completely lost it. If the Sox are losing its a miserable broadcast to listen too.

kittle42
06-02-2011, 11:08 AM
The guy has completely lost it. If the Sox are losing its a miserable broadcast to listen too.

He is almost....almost....our Ron Santo.

kaufsox
06-02-2011, 11:23 AM

well, no usually there is nothing to listen to :D:

tstrike2000
06-02-2011, 12:12 PM
I still haven't gotten used to "Stone Pony" for some reason.

TDog
06-02-2011, 12:26 PM
He is almost....almost....our Ron Santo.

I'm not a fan of Ken Harrelson, but there is no comparison. Santo was more mascot than announcer, as I recall from listening to Cubs games a decade ago in Wisconsin. Really, he was the bitter analyst (curse you, 1969) for a team that hadn't won the World Series in his lifetime. He didn't describe the action. Nationally, when things went wrong for the Cubs, the Santo reaction got a lot of play because people found his frustration amusing.

Harrelson is a homer, but he does play-by-play. He carries the broadcast. It's probably good that he is no longer on radio for all I hear of his dead air when things are going bad for the Sox, but he isn't the old guy in the booth who occasionally talks about baseball.

Harrelson wouldn't be content to be in the Santo position, the secondary voice. Not campaigning to correct the perceived injustice of being overlooked for the Hall of Fame, having never played for the White Sox and having broadcast the White Sox in a World Series championship season, he wouldn't be.

There are announcers I don't like. There are analysts who don't analyze. Harrelson is in the former column. Santo was in the latter.

sunofgold
06-02-2011, 02:55 PM
If you do, did you put Lillibeast on the back instead of Lillibridge. I think that would be cool.

This dude has a 1.048 OPS right now. That is really cool. You could start him or have as a pinch hitter/ pinch runner off the bench. He can hit, he can catch, he can run.

It is Lillibeast!

TommyGavinFloyd
06-02-2011, 03:07 PM

I cracked up when he said this. Hawk is awesome.

ode to veeck
06-02-2011, 03:14 PM
I've been waiting for Hawk to retire for close to 30 years

FielderJones
06-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I still haven't gotten used to "Stone Pony" for some reason.

The Two Steves

"Stone Pony" is actually a Dahlism that Hawk borrowed. When Stone was doing Cubs games, Dahl would often refer to him as the Stone Pony -- a bit of rock-n-roll trivia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Ronstadt#The_Stone_Poneys).

SOXSINCE'70
06-02-2011, 04:10 PM

You have lots of company in that department,counting myself as well.

sullythered
06-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I wonder if Pauly is even comfortable with that information being thrown out there at all, let alone every time he gets a hit.

BigKlu59
06-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Poor Hawk..... This is what happens when you take a few to the head in the box and your life consisted of pine tar and pumpkin seeds.. I gotta give him credit for not being a bland "insert corporate vanilla play by play announcer".. Sure some of the **** he opines, states brings out the what the ****?, in us... But it sure as hell beats Chris Berman and "Young" Buck by a landslide.. I'll take the "Homer" in Hawk..I'll take the "Diamondism's" as well.. His chirping may make you want to throw a bat at him at times, but hey, the Dude is authentic..

BK59

kittle42
06-02-2011, 04:17 PM
I wonder if Pauly is even comfortable with that information being thrown out there at all, let alone every time he gets a hit.

Haaaaai cannot tell you; it is confidential.

SOXSINCE'70
06-02-2011, 04:17 PM
One of my favorites is: "Ducks on the pond."

The one that makes me laugh occured during the 2004 campaign.
As Timo Perez rounded third and was about to score the winning run
(the game was at Comiskey Park), he just shouted, "C'mon,Timo!C'mon Timo! C'mon,Timo!" over and over,
literally willing the Sox to a win.

It was good for a laugh back then.

Hitmen77
06-02-2011, 04:19 PM

I really hate it when he says that. It's just too overused.

Personally, I would NOT be comfortable with someone making that kind of comment about me. But that's just me.

For all I know, Konerko has let Hawk know that it's okay with him. But even it that case, the comment just comes off as very tacky.

BigKlu59
06-02-2011, 04:24 PM

He should state that Pauly even has an indoor batting cage and he should invite Adam Dunn over to take a few swings... May get close to 377 long flies that way..

BK59

slavko
06-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Duck Snort

He said in an interview that "snort" is a substitute for a semi-vulgar term associated with flatulence.

Long ago, before Hawk, the objects were a corncob and a tractor.

I wonder what size house Carl Yastremski lives in.:tongue:

Good Old Yaz.

doublem23
06-02-2011, 04:28 PM
He should state that Pauly even has an indoor batting cage and he should invite Adam Dunn over to take a few swings... May get close to 377 long flies that way..

BK59

Just out of curiosity, you're aware that Dunn trails Konerk by 18 career HR despite playing in 400 fewer games, right?

BigKlu59
06-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Just out of curiosity, you're aware that Dunn trails Konerk by 18 career HR despite playing in 400 fewer games, right?

Yeah..at at the rate he's K'ing he may need those 400 to catch Walnuts at 400...

BK59

gobears1987
06-02-2011, 04:59 PM
I luuuuuv that duck

doublem23
06-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Yeah..at at the rate he's K'ing he may need those 400 to catch Walnuts at 400...

BK59

Totally. 50 poor games trumps 1,400+.

Steelrod
06-02-2011, 07:24 PM

Makes you wonder how big Jerry and Kenny's houses are in Paradise Valley. How about addresses Hawk, so we can gawk.

Dan H
06-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Yes. His time is up as an announcer. Hasn't been good in a while, but he is completely dreadful this year.

The Konerko statement isn't only dreadful; it is offensive. Yeah, the Hawkeroo really identifies with the average fan, doesn't he?

fram40
06-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Poor Hawk..... This is what happens when you take a few to the head in the box and your life consisted of pine tar and pumpkin seeds.. I gotta give him credit for not being a bland "insert corporate vanilla play by play announcer".. Sure some of the **** he opines, states brings out the what the ****?, in us... But it sure as hell beats Chris Berman and "Young" Buck by a landslide.. I'll take the "Homer" in Hawk..I'll take the "Diamondism's" as well.. His chirping may make you want to throw a bat at him at times, but hey, the Dude is authentic..

+1. and it beats almost every other play by play guy out there. For all the things I dislike about his broadcast, I cannot think of another announcer I would prefer to listen to on a (almost) daily basis.

Three hours a day, six days a week, six months a year - of course the guy is going to say more than a few things that irritate the hell out of you.

TommyGavinFloyd
06-02-2011, 08:34 PM
The Konerko statement isn't only dreadful; it is offensive. Yeah, the Hawkeroo really identifies with the average fan, doesn't he?

I thought that was the whole point. The average fan isn't going to hit a home run in the top of the 9th to extend the lead. If they could, they would have their own 16,000 sq. ft. house.

BigKlu59
06-02-2011, 09:18 PM
I thought that was the whole point. The average fan isn't going to hit a home run in the top of the 9th to extend the lead. If they could, they would have their own 16,000 sq. ft. house.

That would be a fact TGF... and maybe a few venture capital deals as well...

BK59

tstrike2000
06-02-2011, 11:44 PM
The Two Steves

"Stone Pony" is actually a Dahlism that Hawk borrowed. When Stone was doing Cubs games, Dahl would often refer to him as the Stone Pony -- a bit of rock-n-roll trivia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Ronstadt#The_Stone_Poneys).

Interesting, would've never guessed that since I haven't heard Steve Dahl in forever.

LongLiveFisk
06-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Had to laugh when I read a Yankees message board, after sweeping the Red Sox some of their fans were talking about how funny Hawk is and all that. I remember when we played well against the Yankees, they didn't seem to think he was so funny then.

TheVulture
06-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Cinch it up and hunker down.

Got/Time to bow that neck.

I love it when you analyze, DJ.

Fisk Fan
06-03-2011, 08:39 AM
"Yes! Hell Yes!"
"Pucker Factor"
"Mercy!"
"Look at the play by _____"

Anything with "Heinie" in it.....

tstrike2000
06-03-2011, 08:42 AM
I luuuuuuv _______.

Fenway
06-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Had to laugh when I read a Yankees message board, after sweeping the Red Sox some of their fans were talking about how funny Hawk is and all that. I remember when we played well against the Yankees, they didn't seem to think he was so funny then.

Try listening to John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman on WCBS - they make Hawk look objective - and Yankees TV is even worse.

SOXSINCE'70
06-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Try listening to John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman on WCBS - they make Hawk look objective - and Yankees TV is even worse.

You're right about Sterling.He's horrible.All his references (i.e. "an a-bomb for A-Rod" and "Swish-a-Liscious"
just to name a few) make me appreciate "Stretch!" and "Get on back there!" just a little.Very little.

doublem23
06-03-2011, 09:21 AM

Yeah, we wouldn't want the curtain to rise on the average fan and let them know how much money these pro athletes make, right?

It's just a stupid catchphrase.

asindc
06-03-2011, 10:01 AM

This is true, and Waldman's voice is annoying on top of that.

Fenway
06-03-2011, 10:09 AM
This is true, and Waldman's voice is annoying on top of that.

She is a Boston native and a Sawx fan :tongue::tongue:

She is a beautiful singer and starred on Broadway - but baseball was her passion

Gavin
06-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah, we wouldn't want the curtain to rise on the average fan and let them know how much money these pro athletes make, right?

Talking about how expensive someone's house is may not be offensive but it's pretty ****ing tacky in the middle of a baseball broadcast.

doublem23
06-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Talking about how expensive someone's house is may not be offensive but it's pretty ****ing tacky in the middle of a baseball broadcast.

Right, so we're on the same page.

Fenway
06-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Hawk is part Dizzy Dean ( yes he did announce the game of the week ) and Phil Rizzuto.

FielderJones
06-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Interesting, would've never guessed that since I haven't heard Steve Dahl in forever.

He's still on (http://www.dahl.com/podcasts) -- been listening for a couple months and he's very funny and entertaining.

spongyfungy
06-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Don't mind his catchphrases but when he uses them nonstop, it gets tiresome.

I still remember that Hell yes he dropped 2 years ago against the Brewers (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112706). I was pretty pumped after that.

Also liked it when Hawk used to read an ad, say the name of the sponsor and end with a yes at the end.

Something along the lines of : Preparation H, Prompt Relief from Hemorrhoid Symptoms, Preparation H..... YES

Dan H
06-03-2011, 06:55 PM

You're right. It is a stupid catchphrase. And I really don't want to hear athletes whine about contract negotiations when they already have millions.

The point is this: Players live in a much different world than fans and because of that it is harder to identify with them. I don't want to hear about Konerko's mansion when many people are struggling in this economy. Hawk should find a different catchphrase. This one stinks.

oldcomiskey
06-03-2011, 07:26 PM
the thing is about Hawk---he is a lot better than some around the league--Dwayne Staats is terrible for instance.... And he is better than some we have had--ala Frank Messer and Gary Thorne.. Jim Durham comes to mind and as some of the old timers like me remember Jack Drees was awful as well... That being said,while Im still a Hawk fan, he is well passed his salad days, which I consider to be his early days with the late Don Drysdale

oldcomiskey
06-03-2011, 11:32 PM
the guy I really miss is John Rooney---I cant bear to listen to the Sox games on the radio anymore

joshua1024
06-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Does anything compare to the monotony of "You can put it on the board . . . . Yes! Yes!" It's his trademark expression, true, but that doesn't make it entertainment. :mad:

SI1020
06-06-2011, 01:50 PM
the guy I really miss is John Rooney---I cant bear to listen to the Sox games on the radio anymore I still think he looked mad when he was on the podium after the victory parade. I enjoyed his radio broadcasts too and was unhappy that the Sox let him go.

miker
06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Does anything compare to the monotony of "You can put it on the board . . . . Yes! Yes!" It's his trademark expression, true, but that doesn't make it entertainment. :mad:

Well, it was fun the first 20 years. I'm sure "Holy Cow" and "Hey, Hey!" got old to some people too.

all*star quentin
06-06-2011, 05:33 PM
How many times have we heard "You can put it on the board, YES!" this season? :o:

oldcomiskey
06-06-2011, 07:37 PM
I still think he looked mad when he was on the podium after the victory parade. I enjoyed his radio broadcasts too and was unhappy that the Sox let him go.

I was under the impression the Six didnt let him go--but rather he wanted to go back home to St. Louis

sullythered
06-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Sterling makes Hawk look like Vin Scully.

SI1020
06-06-2011, 07:55 PM
I was under the impression the Six didnt let him go--but rather he wanted to go back home to St. Louis Well technically the Sox didn't let him go. He had a salary dispute with the Score. I have to believe that if the Sox really wanted him to stay they could have made that known. WMVP was let go by the Sox after the 05 championship season and to me it would have been good business for the Score to keep management happy, so I believe keeping Rooney was not that high a priority to them.