PDA

View Full Version : Konerko: The New General of this Team

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2002, 12:53 AM
Anyone see Konerko post game comments on ESPN's website? The clip is in the Audio/Vidio portion.

Quote: Guys that are out here that are supportive of him [Frank] when when he is in there, ya know, and so I think it is just kind of common sense that you would think the days you don't play, to go out and support a Jeff Liefer or a Tony Graffanino or one of those guys that are (not) out there everyday. But you know, I don't know. I am not one to jump on an older guy because I have not been around that long but this is a team concept, so...Sometimes there is no question he [Frank] probably fails in that area.

With this comment, Konerko has officially taken this over as HIS team. A leader is born.

The clip is also listed here with the story:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0707/1402935.html

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-08-2002, 01:02 AM
i totally agree, about time he stepped up and said something like that, like ESPN said tonight, frank is acting like a crybaby lately :\

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2002, 01:07 AM
I loved that comment by Steve Lyons on Baseball Tonight. He was right on. I am not saying that Frank should be traded, cut through the diminshed skills clause, whatever, I am only saying that it is nice to see a guy like Konerko stand up and call Frank on his actions. It's obvious JM has lost this team, but perhaps Paully can get through to Thomas. Maybe, Frank will wake up due to the comments and be better player and teammate.

Bisco Stu
07-08-2002, 01:08 AM
Great. Now Paul needs to tell HIS team to stop playing like lifeless junkies.

bc2k
07-08-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
i totally agree, about time he stepped up and said something like that, like ESPN said tonight, frank is acting like a crybaby lately :\

Lately? Ha! The man has done nothing but cry for the past five years. He and Danny Ainge are the biggest crybabies in sports history.

ma-gaga
07-08-2002, 01:57 AM
Is this going to make it worse or better? This is going to get bad very quickly. The media is going to have a lot of fun with this. I hope Konerko can handle the heat.

I hope the Sox are taking the next 3 days OFF. They really need the time and space to cool down and get their heads on straight.

:)

Garrison
07-08-2002, 02:39 AM
I am glad that Paulie has stepped up and said something. As far as I, and a lot of sox fans, am concerned it is his team. Frank is crying because he is sucking. It's great for Paul to say look buddy just because you're a veteran don't mean you get your way on MY TEAM. Put Thomax is his place. Damn right Paulie. We got your back. With the exception of Maggs and Rowand/Graffanino, Paulie is the only other player who goes out there and works hard every day. He doesn't always play awesome, but he plays for the team and he brings 100% every night. All these other underachieving slackers can't say the same and that's sad. You get paid ass loads of money to PLAY. So do it.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Is this going to make it worse or better? This is going to get bad very quickly. The media is going to have a lot of fun with this. I hope Konerko can handle the heat.

I hope the Sox are taking the next 3 days OFF. They really need the time and space to cool down and get their heads on straight.

No doubt, the media loves to get their shots in at Thomas. I'm sure Mariotti will have something new for us.

I'm reminded of a scene from Major League 2: (edited to include the Sox)

My God! Good news, fans! The White Sox are showing signs of life for the first time in weeks! As a matter of fact, they appear to be beating the crap out of each other! . . . It looks like Paul Konerko is trying to hit Todd Ritchie. And why not? Everybody else in the league does. Konerko swings and misses! I don't know, DJ, it looks like Ritchie's carrying his left a little low...this could hurt him in the later rounds.

:)