PDA

View Full Version : What Do The Sox Do When Peavy Returns?

cards press box
05-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Peavy is currently scheduled (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110508&content_id=18817086&notebook_id=18817402&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws) to start on Wednesday. I wonder what corresponding roster move the Sox will make? The obvious choice would be to send Jeff Gray to AAA or perhaps place someone like Tony Pena on the disabled list. Here is a more far out thought -- anyone think they might try to deal Edwin Jackson in an effort to fill some other hole on the roster?

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-09-2011, 02:12 AM
I think Gray has got a ticket already waiting for him back to Charlotte. Not that he really did anything good or bad to deserve it. I'd much rather see Tony Pena go, but I bet the Sox keep him around.

Frater Perdurabo
05-09-2011, 06:18 AM
DL Pena. With Peavy returning, Humber can be the long man.

ewokpelts
05-09-2011, 08:37 AM
keep losing?

Moses_Scurry
05-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Put Humber in the bullpen for a week or so until Peavy goes back on the DL.

05-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Is Pena even hurt? Why isn't he on the DL now then?

khan
05-09-2011, 09:45 AM
If money really has no bearing on the decision, Jackson [who is again having a predictably-inconsistent season] would be demoted to the 'pen, or traded. At the same time, Gray has done "well enough" to keep his spot, IMO.

Unfortunately, money does play a huge role here, and Jackson appears to be untradeable. Gray can be demoted to Charlotte. The oddly-effective Phil Humber will be demoted to the 'pen, even though in many ways, he's been the most effective SP for the team hereto fore.

Peavy will probably again get injured, as he has difficulty telling the team the truth about his health. Jackson will continue to be up-and-down all season long, as he has his entire career. [As fans, we can only hope that Jackson is "good enough" to be signed elsewhere at the end of the season.]

balke
05-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Remove gray. Hope this Jake Peavy is a healthy good Jake Peavy. Send either Humber, Peavy or Jackson to long relief for a while to see how healthy Jake is. Meanwhile Thornton gets a little time/less pressure to figure it out in the bullpen.

Be a nice change from worrying about a 4 man rotation possibility. Sox might have 7 guys who could be starting pitchers (talking about Sale). This would open the door to a trade though. Danks might be the more likely candidate. High value pitcher. High value return.

Or they could just go on a win streak and be insulated this season from pitching injuries.

Noneck
05-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I say have a 6 man rotation, ride every starter and dont worry about pitch counts. But I wouldn't worry about pitch counts in a 5 man rotation or maybe even a 4. This would take advantage of the currently strongest aspect of the pitching staff.

Demote Gray.

DumpJerry
05-09-2011, 10:52 AM
[As fans, we can only hope that Jackson is "good enough" to be signed elsewhere at the end of the season.]
Why? He's a free agent at the end of this season. The only reason why Sox fans who don't want him back hope he is "good enough" to be signed with someone else is if the Sox offered arbitration which gets rejected.

kufram
05-09-2011, 11:09 AM
We have one guy on the pitching staff that has done his job consistently from the beginning. I think Humber should stay in the rotation until he doesn't do his job. Peavy is the man that needs to prove he can do the job.

sunofgold
05-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Humber goes to the bullpen. We could need another good arm there. He is great insurance to have since Peavy is very injury prone.

There is a good chance that Humber will get a chance to start again this year. And next year there might be an opening in the rotation for him since Jackson and Buehrle are free agents.

This is not a problem. If Peavy can somehow stay healthy, we have another good arm in the bullpen. If Peavy cannot stay healthy, we move a deserving Humber back into the rotation.

Irishsox1
05-09-2011, 11:49 AM
The Sox should wait until his arm fly's off into the stands, then go back to the current rotation.

khan
05-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Why? He's a free agent at the end of this season. The only reason why Sox fans who don't want him back hope he is "good enough" to be signed with someone else is if the Sox offered arbitration which gets rejected.
You're exactly right with this. I've tried to imagine a scenario where the SOX will be able to spend freely after this season, and I'm unable to do so.

The disasterous start to the season all but assures that the SOX will lose boatloads of money. Couple that with the avarice of Jackson's agent/thief, and it means that there is little-to-no chance that Jackson returns here. [In Boras' world, if EJ's sub-100 ERA+ over a career is worth $8.35M for 2011, isn't EJ therefore worth $12M+/yr over 5 yrs for 2012 and beyond?]

Hence, the only way to salvage any value from Jackson is if he pitches well enough to convince some other team's moron of a GM to [over] pay for him in FA. [Paging Jim Hendry....]

The SOX need some help in rebuilding, and earning a compensatory pick or two may help with that. [Unless KW drafts another Phegley-type with the picks.]

IMO, the worst-case scenario is one where Jackson gets injured, or in some other way ends up with little-to-no value in FA. [Another bad scenario is where Jackson ends up with arb being his best offer on the table...]

russ99
05-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I say have a 6 man rotation, ride every starter and dont worry about pitch counts. But I wouldn't worry about pitch counts in a 5 man rotation or maybe even a 4. This would take advantage of the currently strongest aspect of the pitching staff.

Demote Gray.

I agree with this idea, but while not holding to a hard and fast pitch count, take guys out when they're tired. Pushing the starting staff to their limit everytime out is a recipe for disaster.

Also, I'd DFA Pena and look for a trade. He's our worst pitcher this year, regardless of his salary. I 'd think Infante and Bruney can do as well.

kittle42
05-09-2011, 01:23 PM
The Sox should wait until his arm fly's off into the stands

He has an arm fly? I once had a leg fly.

Noneck
05-09-2011, 02:04 PM
I agree with this idea, but while not holding to a hard and fast pitch count, take guys out when they're tired. Pushing the starting staff to their limit everytime out is a recipe for disaster.

Also, I'd DFA Pena and look for a trade. He's our worst pitcher this year, regardless of his salary. I 'd think Infante and Bruney can do as well.

Ride the starters till they are not producing or when they are tired, not based on pitch count. Regarding Pena, I agree but I know the Sox wont salt and pepper his salary so Gray it is.

JermaineDye05
05-09-2011, 04:40 PM
The lack of confidence that some people have in this team and its players is quite astounding. I can't remember the last time it was this bad. Maybe 2007? I wouldn't know though since I was simply nonexistent that year because of what a joke our team was.

This team isn't a joke, but they sure as hell have been playing like one. Now that I have time to watch them, I sincerely hope that they turn this crapfest around.

doublem23
05-09-2011, 05:40 PM
The lack of confidence that some people have in this team and its players is quite astounding.

They're the worst team in baseball

delben91
05-09-2011, 05:44 PM

But with a chance to be 29th (28th?) after tonight!!!!

Watch your ass Minnesota and Houston!!!! Sox are a'coming!!! :thumbsup:

soltrain21
05-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Moving Humber out of the rotation would be an awful move. So, it's obviously the move this team will make.

JermaineDye05
05-09-2011, 06:37 PM

I guess when Kenny said "all in," he meant that we're all in for rebuilding this farm system. This team keeps up this play and we're looking at a top five pick next year. Oh, boy!

Tragg
05-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Humber's pitched well..he should stay in the rotation.

Put Peavy in the pen.

ShooterMcGavin
05-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Results matter. Humber should stay in the rotation.

I vote for a 6-man rotation. With Peavy returning from an injury, and with Buehrle having logged a ton of innings over his career, why not use a 6-man rotation to improve the chances that all 6 pitchers will be more rested for the playoffs.

Also, I'm curious to see the effects of a 6-man rotation over 4+ months. Due to the Sox's record and situation of having 6 legit starters, why not try it out in a nearly lost season.