PDA

View Full Version : Sox catchers - Flowers and Fisk

Lamp81
05-08-2011, 10:02 PM
This link from MLB Trade Rumors state Flowers has been scouted by a few teams including the Red Sox.

It also says that Carlton Fisk wants to be a catching instructor for either pair of Sox, but hasn't been asked.

If Ozzie is as close to Fisk, as he says he is, why can't Fisk ask Ozzie or just volunteer to go down to Glendale. I think he still lives in the Chicago suburbs, so surely he could be an important part of the White Sox, if he really wanted to be. Is he really just waiting to be asked?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/05/cafardo-on-rays-mathis-flowers-red-sox.html

Fenway
05-08-2011, 10:05 PM
This link from MLB Trade Rumors state Flowers has been scouted by a few teams including the Red Sox.

It also says that Carlton Fisk wants to be a catching instructor for either pair of Sox, but hasn't been asked.

If Ozzie is as close to Fisk, as he says he is, why can't Fisk ask Ozzie or just volunteer to go down to Glendale. I think he still lives in the Chicago suburbs, so surely he could be an important part of the White Sox, if he really wanted to be. Is he really just waiting to be asked?

That is the way he is

Globe story

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2011/05/08/those_reports_of_rays_demise_were_premature/

near bottom of notes

Noneck
05-08-2011, 10:34 PM

I have always heard that Fisk is not the volunteer type of guy.

DumpJerry
05-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Fisk is already on the Sox payroll as an ambassador.

Fenway
05-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Fisk is already on the Sox payroll as an ambassador.

with Boston as well....... he really belongs to both teams

LongLiveFisk
05-08-2011, 10:58 PM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/05/cafardo-on-rays-mathis-flowers-red-sox.html

Pretty sure he lives in Florida now.

VMSNS
05-08-2011, 11:16 PM
I thought he lives in New Lenox? A co-worker of mine who lives in New Lenox said that she used to live few houses down from him. I'm not sure how long ago that was, though.

I know the Sawks are in pretty desperate need of catching help right now, so maybe we can get a decent return for Flowers.

doublem23
05-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Pretty sure he lives in Florida now.

I'm pretty sure the Fisks own more than one place, but I thought, at least until recently, that they still lived in Lockport.

Lamp81
05-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Like many people, who can afford it, they are probably snowbirds. Who would want to stay in Chicago from December to April, if they could afford to go somewhere warm?

If he is in Florida, it is more likely he would want to help out the Red Sox at Spring Training. Maybe he could help them in ST and us during the season.

He is just waiting for that phone call. AJ, please give him a call, and get a few tips on how to age at the catcher position, and continue to field well.

ewokpelts
05-09-2011, 08:42 AM
ozzie asked him years ago.

Noneck
05-09-2011, 11:09 AM
He is just waiting for that phone call. AJ, please give him a call, and get a few tips on how to age at the catcher position, and continue to field well.

As I mentioned before, Fisk is not a gratis kind of guy.

Daver
05-09-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm pretty sure the Fisks own more than one place, but I thought, at least until recently, that they still lived in Lockport.

The Fisk's no longer live in Lockport.

LongLiveFisk
05-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I thought he lives in New Lenox? A co-worker of mine who lives in New Lenox said that she used to live few houses down from him. I'm not sure how long ago that was, though.

Admittedly, they may still have a residence in New Lenox. That I do not know, but I do know they sold their home in Homer Glen (the "Lockport" home) a few years ago. Them having a residence in Florida was something I came across a while back; I think I was just surfing the internet and saw it mentioned in an article about him.

A. Cavatica
05-09-2011, 09:31 PM

I know the Sawks are in pretty desperate need of catching help right now, so maybe we can get a decent return for Flowers.

Or maybe we can dump Pierzynski's salary on them.

Daver
05-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Admittedly, they may still have a residence in New Lenox. That I do not know, but I do know they sold their home in Homer Glen (the "Lockport" home) a few years ago. Them having a residence in Florida was something I came across a while back; I think I was just surfing the internet and saw it mentioned in an article about him.

I don't think they owned the home in Lockport (the house was built 25 years before Homer Glen existed, hence the Lockport) it belonged to John Bays and was leased out, the Bays family still owns it, and recently did a rather large addition to it.

Tragg
05-09-2011, 10:20 PM
We're not exactly replete with young catchers (or young anything) ourselves.

LongLiveFisk
05-09-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't think they owned the home in Lockport (the house was built 25 years before Homer Glen existed, hence the Lockport) it belonged to John Bays and was leased out, the Bays family still owns it, and recently did a rather large addition to it.

Interesting because there's a website where you can look up home sales in various cities and I saw that house, which had listed the Fisks as the owners who sold it. It showed that it was bank-owned last I looked it up. Evidently the buyers after them had a hard time selling it and the price kept dropping until a bank bought it.

white sox bill
05-10-2011, 06:26 AM
I'm guessing approx 5 yrs ago I was in the New Lenox area and a business assocaite of mine told me that Fisk no longer lived in the area. She also said that he would go to her sons Little League game and try to manage from the bleachers. According to her, he was a bit of a jerk.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Fisk is 63 years old, and has been out of the game for almost 20 years. I think if he was interested in coaching, he would have stayed involved in the game in that capacity shortly after retiring.

My sister-in-law grew up on property that was adjacent to the Fisk property. I believe their houses were pretty far apart. Anyway, Fisk was just another neighbor in farm country, according to her and her friends. He kept to himself, preferred not to be bothered, and tried not to bother anyone else.

Fisk wouldn't be the first parent to be a jerk at Little League games. Ask anyone who's ever umped a few games.

LongLiveFisk
05-10-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm guessing approx 5 yrs ago I was in the New Lenox area and a business assocaite of mine told me that Fisk no longer lived in the area. She also said that he would go to her sons Little League game and try to manage from the bleachers. According to her, he was a bit of a jerk.

Fisk wouldn't be the first parent to be a jerk at Little League games. Ask anyone who's ever umped a few games.

Well it's one thing if it's your own kid. But his kids are grown with kids of their own.

When I was in high school, his son's school came to play my school in baseball and he showed up at the game because he was on the DL at the time (broken hand - this was May, 1988). I figured he'd be there so I showed up and sure enough, he was sitting there. Nobody else had the guts to go up to him and start talking to him but I did. He was nice to me, though.

Bobby Thigpen
05-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Well it's one thing if it's your own kid. But his kids are grown with kids of their own.

When I was in high school, his son's school came to play my school in baseball and he showed up at the game because he was on the DL at the time (broken hand - this was May, 1988). I figured he'd be there so I showed up and sure enough, he was sitting there. Nobody else had the guts to go up to him and start talking to him but I did. He was nice to me, though.
Maybe they were being respectful of him.

LongLiveFisk
05-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Maybe they were being respectful of him.

Some may have been, but a few within earshot of me said they'd like to go up to him but felt a little intimidated.

It's a good point though. I was only 17 at the time so my perspective was probably different than it would be now that I am 40. Now I would probably not be as inclined to "bother" someone famous if I saw them out in public.

Soxfest
05-10-2011, 03:13 PM
No brainer to me let Pudge work with young catchers in Sox system.