PDA

View Full Version : Expos Are Getting Ready For PostSeason, If There Is One...

kevingrt
07-07-2002, 09:48 PM
Yet another trade about to come for the Expos, who will get Cliff Floyd and Ryan Dempster from the Fish for Grame Lloyd, Matso Yoshii, and "prospect package headed by pitcher Josh Karp, who was Montreal's No. 1 pick in 2001."

Read the full story here: Floyd, Dempster headline proposed Expos-Marlins deal
(http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0707/1402995.html)

Mathew
07-07-2002, 09:58 PM
Go 'Spos Go! Dempster has a huge upside and Floyd is a killer.

doublem23
07-08-2002, 12:26 AM
Man, they're really clearing out their farm system.

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2002, 12:33 AM
Maybe Jerry and Kenny can take some notes about going for broke and getting a deal done.

:reinsy
Shut up!! You fans did not attend enough games so it's all your fault!!!

:KW
Hey, I make deals. Right now I am talking to the Rangers about Nolan Ryan, and they only want Edmin Almonte and Joe Crede. What a steal!! he he he Oh, and what he said.

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2002, 12:43 AM
BTW, maybe I am just a conspiracy theorist, but I would not be surprised if Jeff Loria traded all the studs from the Marlins to the Expos, sold the Marlins to a group of "local investors" for a large profit, and then bought the Expos back from MLB with some of the profits from his Marlins sale. Of course, he would have to split the profit with Bud so nothing was called into question.

:tool

Drats!!! That long haired hippie freaky and his goofy dog foiled my plans!!

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Man, they're really clearing out their farm system.

They've shown that they can rebuild it very quickly so why not?

After all the strike crap is over the 'Spos will be sold to Washington for a boat load of money.

34 Inch Stick
07-08-2002, 12:29 PM
The conspiracy theory going around is that since MLB now owns the Expos, they are attempting to make them as attractive of a club at the major league level as humanly possble. Then at the end of the year, instead of contracting the team, they will sell it to someone at an inflated price. The owners will divide the winfall amongst themselves. Unless the poor sucker is a baseball fan, he (or she or it) will not realize that the cupboard is bare.

My own little conspiracy spin. The GM (is that Frank Robinson) knows that they will be contracted. Therefore not only is he encouraged to play for today, it is mandated. Then, after the season is over the team meets its maker. The player draft for the carcass of the Expos would generate as much interest as the NFL draft, thus providing serious interest and exposure for baseball in the offseason.

voodoochile
07-08-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
The conspiracy theory going around is that since MLB now owns the Expos, they are attempting to make them as attractive of a club at the major league level as humanly possble. Then at the end of the year, instead of contracting the team, they will sell it to someone at an inflated price. The owners will divide the winfall amongst themselves. Unless the poor sucker is a baseball fan, he (or she or it) will not realize that the cupboard is bare.

My own little conspiracy spin. The GM (is that Frank Robinson) knows that they will be contracted. Therefore not only is he encouraged to play for today, it is mandated. Then, after the season is over the team meets its maker. The player draft for the carcass of the Expos would generate as much interest as the NFL draft, thus providing serious interest and exposure for baseball in the offseason.

No on one contracts an asset that if allowed to relocate is worth $200 million...

oldcomiskey
07-08-2002, 01:06 PM
at least NY didnt get them--who says a small market team cant deal

34 Inch Stick
07-08-2002, 05:21 PM
So do you think that there is going to be a series of city shifts in the next 2 years or is contraction a reality?

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
So do you think that there is going to be a series of city shifts in the next 2 years or is contraction a reality?

The Expos are headed to Washington, I'd say that's a lock.

There is just way to much legal crap to get past for contraction. Their best move is to try and move some teams. With that said, what other city could a major league team succeed in? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

There is just way to much legal crap to get past for contraction. Their best move is to try and move some teams. With that said, what other city could a major league team succeed in? I can't think of one off the top of my head. when they get to dc, they will have put together a strong team.

Soxheads
07-08-2002, 05:29 PM
If the Expos move to Washington, will they still be called the Expos? Isn't the name related to a World Expo that was held in Montreal?

Daver
07-08-2002, 05:29 PM

There is just way to much legal crap to get past for contraction. Their best move is to try and move some teams. With that said, what other city could a major league team succeed in? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

New York could easily support another team......

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by daver

What team outside of the 'Spos would they move there?

Daver
07-08-2002, 05:35 PM

What team outside of the 'Spos would they move there?

I'm sure Jeff Loria would move the Marlins if they built the team a new ball park.......

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 05:37 PM

I'm sure Jeff Loria would move the Marlins if they built the team a new ball park....... just imagine if the twins went there and the potential of that young team?

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 05:39 PM
I'm sure Jeff Loria would move the Marlins if they built the team a new ball park.......

Aren't they getting a new stadium? Or was that just talk?

Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
just imagine if the twins went there and the potential of that young team?

How is that coming anyway, Daver? Did that deal go through for the Twins new park?

ma-gaga
07-08-2002, 05:40 PM
If they go to DC, expect the "Senators" name to be resurrected.

The only other team that might move to NY. The Marlins. It just seems a little too conveinient that the same guy that sold the Expos, bought the Marlins... hmm conspiracy?

The other teams that Bud will threaten:

Oakland.
KC.
Minnesota.
Tampa Bay.

Daver
07-08-2002, 05:41 PM

Aren't they getting a new stadium? Or was that just talk?

How is that coming anyway, Daver? Did that deal go through for the Twins new park?

It was just talk.

The Stadium plan was approved by Jesse Ventura,the ball is in Carl Pohlad's court now,it is unlikely he will pay his share of the plan.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 05:42 PM
It was just talk.

The Stadium plan was approved by Jesse Ventura,the ball is in Carl Pohlad's court now,it is unlikely he will pay his share of the plan.

Thought so.

Pohlad is a pud.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 05:44 PM

Thought so.

Pohlad is a pud. he is trying to get the sweetheart deal that some of the other owners have gotten, but he forgets, that we are in a different economical situation.

ma-gaga
07-08-2002, 05:44 PM
jeeze, i'm slow. If i can beat Daver to this one.

The Twins stadium bill passed the legislature and govenor. They need a public referendum. I've heard that there is support for it in St. Paul, by an unbelievable 2-1 margin.

The referendum will be held this year. In September. Catch-22 for the Twins/MLB. If they strike and lose this post-season, they can kiss the public support goodbye.

ma-gaga
07-08-2002, 05:48 PM
Nope. Can't beat daver. (or ldf or jm)...

Daver
07-08-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

And I type slow Ma..........

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 05:49 PM

I just called Pohlad a pud. I didn't have any real insight.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 05:51 PM
Nope. Can't beat daver. (or ldf or jm)... me.... wow, i am getting up there in a different class.......... :D:

my aching 2 fingers are getting very sore... :gulp:

soxtalker
07-08-2002, 06:14 PM

Very interesting political battles all around...

The Yankees and Mets would fight to keep another team from moving onto their turf. Yet they are also under pressure from the rest of baseball for being able to outspend virtually everyone else.

Then back in Minneapolis or maybe Miami (??), there will be court battles to keep the teams there from leaving.

Paulwny
07-08-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker

Very interesting political battles all around...

The Yankees and Mets would fight to keep another team from moving onto their turf.

So will the Orioles who consider DC as their turf.

FarmerAndy
07-08-2002, 06:51 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think that the Floyd/Dempster trade will happen. It will have to be approved by Bud's office. This trade would increase Montreal's payroll, so all of the owners would have to approve it, since MLB owns the team. Why would owners of all the other teams want to pay a small chunk to increase the Expos payroll?

Also, the Twins are in 1st place. If the Expos made a run, it might make Bud look bad. He was trying to contract both the Twins and the Expos before this season. Imagine how bad he would look if they both made the playoffs. I think he'll make sure that this deal doesn't happen.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I could be wrong, but I don't think that the Floyd/Dempster trade will happen. It will have to be approved by Bud's office. This trade would increase Montreal's payroll, so all of the owners would have to approve it, since MLB owns the team. Why would owners of all the other teams want to pay a small chunk to increase the Expos payroll?

Also, the Twins are in 1st place. If the Expos made a run, it might make Bud look bad. He was trying to contract both the Twins and the Expos before this season. Imagine how bad he would look if they both made the playoffs. I think he'll make sure that this deal doesn't happen.

So it cost the owners an extra million big deal. Every owner is going to get a nice cut of the money baseball gets from when they sell the 'Spos. If they can add a player like Floyd and a pitcher like Dempster, all that does is increase their value.

Don't worry about the playoffs, a players strike will wipe that out.

Paulwny
07-08-2002, 07:09 PM
All Star's views of yankmee and expos dealings

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/wire/stories/0,1169,5505115_52,00.html

Interesting statement by Buehrle at the end of the article.

soxtalker
07-08-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
All Star's views of yankmee and expos dealings

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/wire/stories/0,1169,5505115_52,00.html

Interesting statement by Buehrle at the end of the article.

Yes, very interesting comment by Buehrle. And it is probably correct. Most of the players would probably like to play for a team that contends. It doesn't sound like Buerhle is complaining, and I don't recall him doing so. And he is one of the few players on the Sox that avoids any finger-pointing by media, fans, or other players (for obvious reasons). Nevertheless, it probably isn't a lot of fun to be playing on the Sox right now, even if you are earning a pretty good salary compared to almost anything else you could be doing.

I, like most fans, am not very impressed with multi-million dollar ball players complaining about their working conditions. However, it is also hard to have much sympathy for owners who have local molopolies (well, here the Cubs and Sox compete to a limited extent) but can't compete nationally. Should we change the system as Sandy Alderson suggests. Sure. But it would be nice to do it in such a way that owners that are bad managers do have to get out of baseball.

As I've said in other posts, the thing that I find scary about competing against Steinbrenner is not so much his money (though that is scary). Rather, he hires very good people to run his team, and he holds them accountable. And he himself is accountable. If he had a GM who had made the mistakes of KW, he and that GM would be crucified by the NY media and fans. And the Mets would be right there to pick up the pieces...

Sorry, just got a bit carried away with my rant ....

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker

However, it is also hard to have much sympathy for owners who have local molopolies (well, here the Cubs and Sox compete to a limited extent) but can't compete nationally. Should we change the system as Sandy Alderson suggests. Sure. But it would be nice to do it in such a way that owners that are bad managers do have to get out of baseball.

As I've said in other posts, the thing that I find scary about competing against Steinbrenner is not so much his money (though that is scary). Rather, he hires very good people to run his team, and he holds them accountable. And he himself is accountable. If he had a GM who had made the mistakes of KW, he and that GM would be crucified by the NY media and fans. And the Mets would be right there to pick up the pieces...

Sorry, just got a bit carried away with my rant .... you have a good point, however i think that both clubs in chi can compete national, as for the sox and yeah even the northsiders, the blame goes to the poor management. come on, we could've gone after some fa's and hell with this yr draft, b/c of compensation. you put the product on the field and start winning, fans will come to the park, bring in the trophy and even the players will want and play for you.

the mistakes the kw have done and almost done, is totally inexcusable.