PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Gavin Us A Big Lift" White Sox vs SEA 5/7 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
05-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Last night was Lifeless In Seattle, can't complain about 17 hits and a sharp Floyd.

Let's start a good winning stretch now.

WhiteSox5187
05-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Nice win, let's keep it up.

vinny
05-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Floyd was a beast. So was Rios.

And thank you Milton Bradley for showing us what someone who REALLY doesn't give a **** plays like.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-07-2011, 11:52 PM
That felt good. :bliss:Can we please build on it.
And what does Ozzie have against complete games? It's not like our bullpen is stellar.

ChiSoxGal85
:clap: Wow...kinda forgot what a win feels like. Hopefully this is the beginning of a turnaround.

LongLiveFisk
Let's see if hitting is indeed contagious.

Nice win tonight. :smile:

doublem23
And thank you Milton Bradley for showing us what someone who REALLY doesn't give a **** plays like.

Yeah, the Sox are just bad. But thank god none of them play as lazily as Milton.

What a wasted talent he is.

JorgeFabregas
05-07-2011, 11:55 PM
I am a big Ozzie critic, but he generally does a great job in not abusing his starting pitchers. I agree with him not putting Floyd in the 9th. The Sox have a good philosophy that keeps most of their starting pitchers healthy.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-07-2011, 11:57 PM
I am a big Ozzie critic, but he generally does a great job in not abusing his starting pitchers. I agree with him not putting Floyd in the 9th. The Sox have a good philosophy that keeps most of their starting pitchers healthy.

Good point. I'm too much of an old-timer I guess.:wink:

Brian26
05-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Someone tell John Danks to take some notes from Floyd on how to pitch with a lead and not run up a pitch count to 100 thru five innings.

doublem23
05-07-2011, 11:59 PM

FWIW, over the last few years, the Sox are generally among the top 2-3 teams in terms of IP by starting pitchers.

sox1970
05-07-2011, 11:59 PM

Pretty obvious not to use him in the 9th, seeing he was at 100 pitches, and the Sox had a 6-run lead.

17 hits and they only score 6 runs? Sheesh...

thechico
05-08-2011, 12:02 AM
'Bout time! 'Nuff sed.

MikeW
05-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Nice win. Three struggling hitters, Rios,Beckham and Morel broke out and Gavin was fine. I didn't even worry when Pena came in the ninth. Maybe this will be the jump start we have been praying for.

soxlady8
05-08-2011, 12:08 AM
:clap: Wow...kinda forgot what a win feels like. Hopefully this is the beginning of a turnaround.

feel the same way --

DrCrawdad
05-08-2011, 12:10 AM
A Sox win? Man, that feels great!

Funny, all silent on the northern front. Not a single TM from my Cubbie fan friends tonight.

OmahaSoxFan
05-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Either way, its a White Sox winner... we'll take it! Rios 4 for 4 tonight, maybe, just maybe he is going to break out of his one month plus long funk now. Good to see him, Beckham and Morel gets some hits tonight!

Let's make it 2 tomorrow boys!

Frankfan4life
05-08-2011, 12:13 AM
These days I'm actually surprised when the Sox win. I just don't expect it anymore. Today was a very pleasant surprise. The Sox put together a decent offense along with some excellent pitching. I just wish games like this were the norm.

doublem23
05-08-2011, 12:15 AM
These days I'm actually surprised when the Sox win. I just don't expect it anymore. Today was a very pleasant surprise. The Sox put together a decent offense along with some excellent pitching. I just wish games like this were the norm.

Well they were still pretty inefficient today just lucky that Fister was so god awful.

Gavin pitched a helluva game, too.

MountainCur
05-08-2011, 12:17 AM
good game.

string a few together and all of the sudden everyone has a new mindset.

Big Hurt so good
05-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Good win, but now I wonder something...

tonight a lot of the guys took the less is more approach... dunn, beckham, morel... content to hit balls up the middle or the other way...

now i want to know:

a) what took so long?
b) are our hitters very stubborn?
c) did walker FINALLY tell guys to do this?
d) are guys tuning walker out and doing this on their own?

just strikes me as odd that it took over 20 games for guys to start doing this...

on a side note, great game by mr. floyd

miker
05-08-2011, 12:20 AM
All right, where did the real White Sox go?

Just kidding -- great game. Let's do it again tomorrow.

doublem23
05-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Good win, but now I wonder something...
tonight a lot of the guys took the less is more approach... dunn, beckham, morel... content to hit balls up the middle or the other way...

now i want to know:

a) what took so long?
b) are our hitters very stubborn?
c) did walker FINALLY tell guys to do this?
d) are guys tuning walker out and doing this on their own?

just strikes me as odd that it took over 20 games for guys to start doing this...

on a side note, great game by mr. floyd

Never played baseball, I'm guessing?

SBSoxFan
05-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Yeah, the Sox are just bad. But thank god none of them play as lazily as Milton.

What a wasted talent he is.

I didn't even realize he was still playing ball after being sent home last year. After watching him dog it in the field and at the plate tonight, I thought "How can this guy still be in baseball and Jermaine Dye was forced to retire?"

The best part of the game tonight after a Sox winner was seeing the 2 little girls so excited about catching Smoak's foul ball in the top of the ninth. :bandance:

doublem23
05-08-2011, 12:25 AM
I didn't even realize he was still playing ball after being sent home last year. After watching him dog it in the field and at the plate tonight, I thought "How can this guy still be in baseball and Jermaine Dye was forced to retire?"

I'm not sure you have to worry about seeing too much Milton any more after his deal ends after this season and he's not owed an eight-figure salary.

goon
05-08-2011, 12:26 AM
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt117/kingsouth2/7033.gif

Big Hurt so good
05-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Never played baseball, I'm guessing?

I am not understanding your point.... sure I played baseball, through high school... not going to act like a big shot and claim anything more...

I was taught to stay short and sweet... this team has been trying to hit everything for homers for a long time...

I am just curious how the sudden change in their approach came about, that's all...

SBSoxFan
05-08-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm not sure you have to worry about seeing too much Milton any more after his deal ends after this season and he's not owed an eight-figure salary.

I know. And that's what it's all about isn't it --- the money? A shame really.

LongLiveFisk
05-08-2011, 12:27 AM

I never could figure out how he kept finding teams to take him.

doublem23
05-08-2011, 12:30 AM
I am not understanding your point.... sure I played baseball, through high school... not going to act like a big shot and claim anything more...

I was taught to stay short and sweet... this team has been trying to hit everything for homers for a long time...

I am just curious how the sudden change in their approach came about, that's all...

I don't know if they suddenly changed their approach, they just got some results. There's an ocean between saying "hey, try to hit the ball up the middle" and actually being able to accomplish it.

Seattle's SP today sucked hard and the Sox were still pretty awful offensively, so it's hard for me to see this as a 1-game thing, but string together a few more nice games and that's cool.

doublem23
05-08-2011, 12:31 AM
I never could figure out how he kept finding teams to take him.

He's a pretty good player when he gives a ****.

Soxman219
05-08-2011, 12:34 AM
:)

Frankfan4life
05-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Well they were still pretty inefficient today just lucky that Fister was so god awful.

Gavin pitched a helluva game, too.You know that the Sox have lost games in every conceivable frustrating and maddening way possible. So, today's win (with the help of Seattle's bad pitching, fielding and hitting) felt kind of like the Sox were playing themselves. I really don't care how they win as long as they get it done. I wouldn't mind something like a 15 to 14 win. Because at least I know the Sox are still capable of scoring runs.

Nelfox02
05-08-2011, 12:43 AM
heard they are x raying PK---hope that hand is okay....

doublem23
05-08-2011, 12:48 AM
BTW, major props to Gordon for tracking that ball down that Floyd threw away and getting Ichiro at 2nd. That was smart, head's up baseball.

Big Hurt so good
05-08-2011, 12:51 AM
heard they are x raying PK---hope that hand is okay....

Ozzie said after the game that he'll play tomorrow... we will have video up on Mod Edit in the next 20 minutes or so

thomas35forever
05-08-2011, 12:53 AM
We won? And convincingly too? Pinch me.

tstrike2000
05-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Rios-Beckham-Morel, our 7-8-9 hitters go 10-12? Amazing, thought it was some cruel joke at first. And GoGoCrede is so happy that she'll sleep like a baby after watching Gavin pitch like an absolute stud.

Foulke You
05-08-2011, 01:53 AM
It was nice to see some honest to goodness extra base hits tonight. Good God does this team hit into a ton of DPs though. Lots of stranded runners but I'll take the 6 runs. Great night for Rios (4 for 4) and the entire bottom of the order did a great job.

Poor AJ is snake bit out there...he clubbed the ball tonight and had nothing to show for it. That HR he was robbed of was a tremendous catch. Is it me, or can you put together an entire defensive web gem DVD based on the catches that have been made against the Sox in 2011 this season?

Take tomorrow's game and win a damn series Sox!!! It's been forever.

delben91
05-08-2011, 02:09 AM

I've given up hoping for that, too many times nice wins have proven to be indicative of nothing more than that blind squirrels occasionally stumble across nuts.

IronFisk
05-08-2011, 03:05 AM
they WON?

:party:

kufram
05-08-2011, 04:05 AM
I don't care how many runs we got. At least 17 batted balls didn't end up as outs and that HAS to be good for morale. A win is a win. Baby steps in the right directions will do for now.

Can we win a baseball game today?

soxinem1
05-08-2011, 07:19 AM

Very simple. Someone is on the hook to pay a lot of money to his sorry ass, and JD was demanding money and a position like he came off of some stellar season. JD had the most bizarre in-season splits I ever saw: stellar in the first half, looked washed-up in the second half.

Sad thing is with Bradley, when the contract expires, some dissolusioned team will give him the opportunity to play again thinking they can 'reach' him.

soxfanatlanta
05-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Two wins in one week?

Break them up. :wink:

The Dude
05-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Someone tell John Danks to take some notes from Floyd on how to pitch with a lead and not run up a pitch count to 100 thru five innings.

Umm someone tell the Sox offense to start scoring him some damn runs! He rarely gets run support from the offense and routinely gets screwed.

October26
05-08-2011, 08:44 AM
I don't care how many runs we got. At least 17 batted balls didn't end up as outs and that HAS to be good for morale. A win is a win. Baby steps in the right directions will do for now.

This. I kept thinking the same thing while watching the game last night. THESE are the White Sox players that we've been waiting for since the freefall started in the 2nd week of the season. Where have you been, boys? Nice to see the bats come alive with 17 hits. And Gavin pitched great. Hopefully they can get another win today.

I hope Paulie is okay.

Scots-Sox
05-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Very simple. Someone is on the hook to pay a lot of money to his sorry ass, and JD was demanding money and a position like he came off of some stellar season. JD had the most bizarre in-season splits I ever saw: stellar in the first half, looked washed-up in the second half.

Sad thing is with Bradley, when the contract expires, some dissolusioned team will give him the opportunity to play again thinking they can 'reach' him.

OMG. I really wish you hadn't said that. With our recent habit of picking up reclaimation projects ......................

But on the theme of this thread - Well done Sox and to echo Hawk "Don't stop there boys."

doublem23
05-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Umm someone tell the Sox offense to start scoring him some damn runs! He rarely gets run support from the offense and routinely gets screwed.

It's a little bit of both, yeah, the Sox don't score him a lot of runs, but there are plenty of times he pitches like **** with a lead a la his last home start against Baltimore last Friday. Sox stake him to a 3-0 lead and he proceeds to just give it away over the next 2 innings.

ChiSoxGal85
05-08-2011, 10:03 AM

and it damn well better NOT be the Sox, with Juan's contract up this year.

SOXSINCE'70
05-08-2011, 11:47 AM
That felt good. :bliss:

:walnuts
"It feels good to feel good."

SI1020
05-08-2011, 11:57 AM
When it's working Gavin Floyd has one of the best curveballs you're ever going to see. Last night it was sharp and biting. You keep waiting and hoping for Floyd and Danks to be all they can be.

guillensdisciple
05-08-2011, 12:15 PM
I still think that an infusion of Viciedo will go a long way with this team, but what do I know.

hula
05-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Whoever those boys were who showed up in Sox uniforms last night, keep up the good work! :smile:

Tragg
05-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Even this game offered insight into the Sox weakness; 17 hits but only 6 runs.

ShooterMcGavin
05-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I liked the production from the bottom of the order.

Gavin pitched well.

A hit parade was nice to see.

doublem23
05-08-2011, 01:05 PM
I still think that an infusion of Viciedo will go a long way with this team, but what do I know.

Exactly what every team needs is a .292/.325/.469 hitter with a K/BB ratio over 4:1 in AAA. THAT'S what will turn this team around. :rolleyes:

Viciedo should be in Chicago only because it's time to see what $10 M has bought us. 2011 is over. Let's see what this kid can do.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Exactly what every team needs is a .292/.325/.469 hitter with a K/BB ratio over 4:1 in AAA. THAT'S what will turn this team around. :rolleyes:

Viciedo should be in Chicago only because it's time to see what $10 M has bought us. 2011 is over. Let's see what this kid can do.

You said the same thing as the guy you rolled your eyes at in the process of contradicting your own sarcastic remark.

rcescato
05-08-2011, 01:26 PM
That felt good. :bliss:Can we please build on it.
And what does Ozzie have against complete games? It's not like our bullpen is stellar.

I got pretty upset last night when Gavin was not on the mound in the 9th. I dont know what Ozzies problem is with letting starters finish games.

delben91
05-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Win again today and THAT will be a baby step. Another loss and last night was just the occasional win that even the worst teams get.

kufram
05-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Win again today and THAT will be a baby step. Another loss and last night was just the occasional win that even the worst teams get.

uhh, yes a win again today would be TWO baby steps which equal a step. Take one step and then maybe we can take two. It is May and I'm not thinking about anything but today.

Still... if bad thoughts make you feel good

delben91
05-08-2011, 02:28 PM
uhh, yes a win again today would be TWO baby steps which equal a step. Take one step and then maybe we can take two. It is May and I'm not thinking about anything but today.

Still... if bad thoughts make you feel good

Bad thoughts don't make me feel good. Winning last night doesn't make me feel good either. I can't make myself feel good that they're 2-8 in their last 10 instead of 1-9. Whoop-dee-****ing-do!

These guys are done, the only thing to hope for at this point is to get back to .500 by the end of the year, but I have a feeling a massive sell-off at the trade deadline will torpedo that chance as well.

So you go ahead and feel good about the "big win" last night.

kufram
05-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Bad thoughts don't make me feel good. Winning last night doesn't make me feel good either. I can't make myself feel good that they're 2-8 in their last 10 instead of 1-9. Whoop-dee-****ing-do!

These guys are done, the only thing to hope for at this point is to get back to .500 by the end of the year, but I have a feeling a massive sell-off at the trade deadline will torpedo that chance as well.

So you go ahead and feel good about the "big win" last night.

Well, good for you. Only, you called it a "big win", not me. I called it a baby step. I guess you need me to be miserable with you? No thanks. Not today.