PDA

View Full Version : Paciorek and Hawk Reunite Next Weekend

Brian26
05-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but it was a tidbit in the paper this week...

Next weekend in Oakland, Paciorek is supposed to fill in for Stone on televsion. Last year, Paciorek filled in for DJ on the radio for a few games, and I believe he may have called a game with Huff on television when both Hawk and Stone were out.

Unless I'm mistaken, this will be the first time Hawk and Wimpy are back together since 1999.

Should be fun to watch.

LongLiveFisk
05-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I agree; it will be fun to watch. :D:

I know there was some rift between them for a while, but evidently they did make up, otherwise I doubt this would happen.

Noneck
05-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Too bad Blackjack fell out of graces, I would love to hear his comments about this team.

tstrike2000
05-07-2011, 01:18 PM
I miss the days of Hawk and Wimpy. Although when I heard Paciorek last year, not only did it not really sound like him, his broadcasting was rusty after not doing it everyday. Still fun nonetheless.

DumpJerry
05-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Should be fun to watch.

I agree; it will be fun to watch. :D:
They will be calling a 2011 White Sox game. How much fun can that be to watch?:redneck

Lip Man 1
05-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Having them in the booth together will probably be a hell of a lot more interesting than watching the team go through the motions on the field.

Lip

downstairs
05-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Too bad Blackjack fell out of graces, I would love to hear his comments about this team.

What happened?

Noneck
05-07-2011, 01:41 PM
What happened?

I have heard his former blog didnt sit too well with the organization.

VMSNS
05-07-2011, 01:43 PM
What happened?

I think he made a few comments about Beckham last summer. Basically said that the Sox shouldn't put too much pressure on the kid and that they shouldn't be jerking him around the field so much, referring to his change from SS, to 3B, and then 2B. As expected, Hawk took offense to it and said so on the air, if I remember correctly.

DumpJerry
05-07-2011, 01:45 PM
I think he made a few comments about Beckham last summer. Basically said that the Sox shouldn't put too much pressure on the kid and that they shouldn't be jerking him around the field so much, referring to his change from SS, to 3B, and then 2B. As expected, Hawk took offense to it and said so on the air, if I remember correctly.
Darn that Jack McDowell. Wrong again!

LongLiveFisk
05-07-2011, 02:46 PM
They will be calling a 2011 White Sox game. How much fun can that be to watch?:redneck

I'm hoping their commentary will be entertaining enough that it will be a distraction from the game. :D:

Dibbs
05-07-2011, 02:53 PM
That's awesome. I will be at the Friday game, and maybe Saturday too. I used to bring signs to the games when I was younger. Maybe I will break out my 'Hawk and Wimpy Fan Club' sign since there won't be many people in the stands.

Soxfest
05-07-2011, 02:58 PM
I never had a issue with Wimpy, I listened to him on the radio last year should be a good time.

Noneck
05-07-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm hoping their commentary will be entertaining enough that it will be a distraction from the game. :D:

Only Harry and Jimmy were able to do that with a team like this.

thomas35forever
05-07-2011, 03:25 PM
It'd be nice to hear. I remember when they were together, but that was before I watched the Sox on a full-time basis, so I never really appreciated the aspect.

soltrain21
05-07-2011, 05:52 PM

They really showed Black Jack! Once again this team makes another flawless decision.

chisoxfanatic
05-07-2011, 07:33 PM
This hasn't been an enjoyable season at all, but this excites me. I loved listening to those two together.

34 Inch Stick
05-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Maybe Hawk wanted the chance to pull the knife out of Whimpy's back and stick it in his stomach.

Nellie_Fox
05-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Maybe Hawk wanted the chance to pull the knife out of Whimpy's back and stick it in his stomach.Yeah, because you know what really happened. Internet rumors must be true, because it was on the internet!

kaufsox
05-10-2011, 11:08 AM
:wooty:

LongLiveFisk
05-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Maybe Hawk wanted the chance to pull the knife out of Whimpy's back and stick it in his stomach.

Honestly, if they made up and everything is cool between them, it shouldn't really matter to anyone else anymore. :dunno:

soxinem1
05-10-2011, 01:37 PM
My favorite Hawk/Wimpy exchange ever:

Hawk: Why do you suppose they call him Stump, Wimpy? (referring to NYY Manager Stump Merrill).

Wimpy: I don't know, Hawk, I never saw him in the shower before!

doublem23
05-10-2011, 02:23 PM

Hawk: Why do you suppose they call him Stump, Wimpy? (referring to NYY Manager Stump Merrill).

I don't care who you are, that's just funny.

johnnyg83
05-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Hawk: (doing scoreboard updates) And in Texas, Brad Palmer's just hit his 15th against the Halos.

Wimpy: *giggle* *giggle* Brad Palmer? *snort*

34 Inch Stick
05-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Yeah, because you know what really happened. Internet rumors must be true, because it was on the internet!

I suppose you do. Enlighten me.

Foulke You
05-11-2011, 04:34 PM
I suppose you do. Enlighten me.
When Wimpy was doing part time broadcasting work for the Tigers several years back, he was interviewed on The Score. The host (I forget who it was) asked him to elaborate about his break up from the Sox and asked him point blank if it was regarding any friction with Hawk. Wimpy replied that Hawk had nothing to do with it and it was "someone within the organization's marketing department" (I assume Rob Gallas) who wanted him to change his broadcasting style drastically for the upcoming 2000 season. Paciorek was pretty miffed about the whole thing and pretty much told them that he broadcasted the same way for years and he wasn't about to change his style now. He told them that if they weren't happy with his style then they should make a change which is what they ended up doing and adding DJ to replace Wimpy for the 2000 season. This is what Paciorek said in an interview I heard. Take it however you want it.

Think about it logically though, if Hawk truly got Wimpy fired and the two of them had this supposed "friction", why would Wimpy agree to work with Hawk again? Why would Wimpy agree to participate in Hawk's appreciation night last season with a goodwill recorded message? Why would Hawk constantly put him over as one of the best guys he ever worked with and talk about how great his family is? Does this sound like a broken work relationship?

BringHomeDaBacon
05-11-2011, 07:41 PM

Apparently "loyalty" is only extended to crappy former players.

forrestg
05-11-2011, 08:00 PM
I liked wimpy a lot if someone should have left and not heard of for 12 years I would have preferred the absense of the Hawkeroo and all of his unoriginal dialogue.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Having interviewed Tom on and off the record I can tell you there was some friction between the two at times, it was heightened because of some personal issues that Tom was going through which Hawk at times was a little irreverent towards.

I also know that Tom himself told me the chemistry between them had gone south on air after working all those years together. Things were strained.

Finally yes the Sox claimed that Tom wasn't "preparing" enough for his broadcasts which at the time I considered very odd since if he wasn't doing his job properly how come he was allowed to stay on the air for a decade? It didn't (and still doesn't) pass the smell test.

Lip

BainesHOF
05-12-2011, 12:42 AM
I liked Paciorek a lot as a player and announcer. However, it was clear on many occasions as an announcer that he didn't even bother to read the morning's newspaper. He really didn't prepare, even to a minimum degree. As a listener, that got old to me after awhile.

Noneck
05-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Thinking back, I probably have seen Paciorek play more than I have heard him announce. Back then there wasnt a lag betwwen radio and tv so in order to avoid the carnival barker, Rooney was always my choice.

Nellie_Fox
05-12-2011, 01:12 AM
I suppose you do. Enlighten me.No, I don't, so I don't pretend I do. Which was my point. I don't go around repeating internet rumors when I have no idea whether they're true or not.

34 Inch Stick
05-12-2011, 10:16 AM
That's why you have the respect and admiration of a few members of this site. Congratulations.

LongLiveFisk
05-12-2011, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the reminder because I was watching that game and I remember not believing he actually said that. Too funny! :lol:

Nellie_Fox
05-12-2011, 02:50 PM
That's why you have the respect and admiration of a few members of this site. Congratulations.Very few, I'm guessing.

thechico
05-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Although I got bit by optimistically signing up for MLB TV without realizing blackouts affect the Sox broadcasts in Chicagoland :angry:, I will be out of town this weekend, so I hope to be able to watch. Then again, it's Oakland so it may be blacked out anyway. :(: Sigh.

Sto lat Wimpy!

Foulke You
05-13-2011, 02:02 PM
New Chuck Garfien interview with Hawk and Wimpy up on CSN:

http://www.csnchicago.com/05/12/11/Sox-Drawer-The-Hawk-and-Wimpy-reunion/landing_soxdrawer_v3.html?blockID=521511&feedID=621

Brian26
05-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Best lines of the game so far....

Hawk: "...So call the Sox to book Southpaw for a birthday party or bar mitzvah".

Wimpy: "Southpaw? Whatever happened to Ribbie and Roobarb?"

Hawk: "They gone."

Wimpy: "Good! One of them ran me over once in the outfield."

DSpivack
05-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Very few, I'm guessing.

We had a WSI get-to-together here in the Chicago area last year. Someone mentioned that I seemed like a professor [still have no idea why]. I was offended because you're the professor around these parts.

Nelfox02
05-14-2011, 12:11 AM
digging them on the broadcast tonight

tacosalbarojas
05-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Best lines of the game so far....

Hawk: "...So call the Sox to book Southpaw for a birthday party or bar mitzvah".

Wimpy: "Southpaw? Whatever happened to Ribbie and Roobarb?"

Hawk: "They gone."

Wimpy: "Good! One of them ran me over once in the outfield."That was awesome. So refreshing to hear the guys together again.

Nellie_Fox
05-14-2011, 12:41 AM
We had a WSI get-to-together here in the Chicago area last year. Someone mentioned that I seemed like a professor [still have no idea why]. I was offended because you're the professor around these parts.Thanks.

Well, that was fun. Hawk and Wimpy worked just fine after all this time.

doublem23
05-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Thanks.

And I had good intel there would be a stabbing tonight! :angry:

Nellie_Fox
05-14-2011, 12:43 AM
And I had good intel there would be a stabbing tonight! :angry:
:thumbsup:

DSpivack
05-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Thanks.

That they did. I grew up with them, so it was nice hearing them tonight.

chisoxfanatic
05-14-2011, 01:20 AM
That they did. I grew up with them, so it was nice hearing them tonight.
As did I...It was very soothing to hear the two of them. It was like Wimpy never left the broadcast booth!

Nellie_Fox
05-14-2011, 01:35 AM
I loved hearing Hawk & Wimpy together again.

But, is the whole priest thing a taboo subject here?

If so, delete this post mods.I don't see any reason to be discussing it on here. If it's just about the incident, there's nothing to be gained by discussing it. If you're wanting to tie it to the rumored rift between Hawk and Wimpy, that's all it is, a rumor, and again there's nothing to be gained by it.

HaroMaster87
05-14-2011, 01:57 AM
Absolutely loved it! I had forgotten it was this weekend so when i got home and turned on the DVR I was pleasantly surprised. These are the 2 guys that made me love white sox baseball. They always made me even stick with the blowout games just to hear wimpy giggling...its just like me and my buddies sitting around b.s.ing.
I dont care what happened...i wish they were still a team.

TommyGavinFloyd
05-14-2011, 02:28 AM
No complaints here!!! :D: (though I will say I enjoy Stone. and DJ for that matter).

TomBradley72
05-14-2011, 09:34 AM
They were awesome- I'd say that's the least channel changing I've done while watching a WSox game in a long time- I just put the remote down and listened to these two guys- laughed outloud at least 6-7 times by the 6th inning.

Good baseball knowledge + self effacing + good sense of humor = great announcing team. Stoney is great, but this is even better.

SI1020
05-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Hawk and Wimpy together were great. I wish circumstances had never broken up that team.

AZChiSoxFan
05-14-2011, 01:49 PM
my favorite hawk/wimpy exchange ever:

Hawk: Why do you suppose they call him stump, wimpy? (referring to nyy manager stump merrill).

Wimpy: I don't know, hawk, i never saw him in the shower before!

rofl!!!!

Madvora
05-14-2011, 11:25 PM
I have been loving this. I really miss these guys together.

StillMissOzzie
05-15-2011, 01:33 AM
Well, I for one enjoyed the reunion of Hawk & the Wimperoo today. It brought me back to a simpler time. But, I think I'd have enjoyed it more if the Sox weren't so far under water already.

SMO
:angry:

Big Hurt so good
05-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Chuck Garfien wrote a good blog about the 2 of them on a web site I am not allowed to mention because mods who have nothing better to do with their life will ban me

chisoxfanatic
05-15-2011, 02:16 AM
Chuck Garfien wrote a good blog about the 2 of them on a web site I am not allowed to mention because mods who have nothing better to do with their life will ban me
I don't know what site you're talking about, so would you please PM me the link. I'd love to read that blog entry. Thanks in advance.

I'd love for more Hawk and Wimpy!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-15-2011, 04:01 AM

Yeah, I see this ending well.

doublem23
05-15-2011, 05:43 AM
I don't know what site you're talking about, so would you please PM me the link. I'd love to read that blog entry. Thanks in advance.

I'd love for more Hawk and Wimpy!

It's Chuck Garfein's blog at CSN Chicago:

http://www.csnchicago.com/05/12/11/Sox-Drawer-The-Hawk-and-Wimpy-reunion/landing_soxdrawer_v3.html?blockID=521511&feedID=621

Lamp81
05-15-2011, 07:35 PM
I really enjoy the Stone Pony, but this has been a great weekend. I'd love to see, and hear, Wimpy and Hawk paired together again.

Maybe Stoney would only want home games and Wimpy could travel, or vice versa.

Maybe Stoney could be moved back to radio and replace either DJ or Farmio, or better yet, pair him with someone entirely new.

soxfanreggie
05-15-2011, 07:38 PM
No complaints here!!! :D: (though I will say I enjoy Stone. and DJ for that matter).

I'm not really a DJ fan, but I do really enjoy Steve Stone. He is one of the best in the game, IMO.