PDA

View Full Version : Immaterial, Trivial Things That Annoy You About the 2011 Sox

Brian26
05-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Other than the obvious bad play on the field, what bugs you that really has no consequence on anything else. Here are two things that come to mind:

1.) Whenever there's a flyball out to Pierre or Rios to end the inning, they do that little schtick where they stop in their tracks and have to throw the ball to each other instead of just putting their head down and running to the dugout. Usually annoying when Pierre does it because he looks like a Little Leaguer because he forgets to do it and then stops, turns to Rios, double pumps, hat tilted off to the side, and then finally throws it.

2.) Bill Melton's goatee.

Brian26
05-07-2011, 10:06 AM
One more-

Still amazed that the percentage of people that correctly pronounce Humber with the "h" silent is about the same as the number of people who pronounce the "h"....and that includes the Sox broadcast teams. :D:

Scottiehaswheels
05-07-2011, 10:13 AM
DJ's "We've got some work tooo dooo..." Makes me want to punch him in the neck (as Sox fans are wont to do according to that old thread on teams you should root for chart).

PatK
05-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Beckham not being in Charlotte

tstrike2000
05-07-2011, 10:19 AM
The way Quentin throws the bat up in the air after he hits the ball.

Streets
05-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Overuse of the black jersey for the second year in a row.

shingo10
05-07-2011, 11:03 AM
This could apply to many previous years too but the amount of people who said, "Oh just wait until Dunn plays at the Cell...his home runs will increase by 15"

You could insert Swisher, Teahen, and many others into there too. The ballpark really doesn't make that big of difference people.

jamokes
05-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Greg Walker still being a coach for the White Sox, this guy has got to go!!

SoxSpeed22
05-07-2011, 01:10 PM
The way we all feel like the game is over if we're down 1-0 after 2 or 3 innings.
Pulling an away pitch that turns into a weak grounder.

sullythered
05-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Mark Teahen's weird, tall butt. And his Ray Liotta face.

And Brent Morel looks like a baseball video game create-a-player template.

Lip Man 1
05-07-2011, 01:19 PM
That it looks like the "pattern" is going to hold again for this year.

To wit:

2006 - winning season
2007 - losing season
2008 - winning season
2009 - losing season
2010 - winning season

You see what 2011 is delivering.

Lip

Chicken Dinner
05-07-2011, 01:24 PM
"All in" commercials by the worst team in baseball!

BringHomeDaBacon
05-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Mark Teahen's weird, tall butt. And his Ray Liotta face.

And Brent Morel looks like a baseball video game create-a-player template.

this is the type of shizzle that makes the internet so damn fun

KMcMahon817
05-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Alex Rios. He looks like he doesn't give a **** both in the batters box and in the field. It really pisses me off.

ChiSoxGal85
05-07-2011, 02:05 PM
- The way any decent opposing team baserunners have their way with the Sox battery. (Except for Buehrle.)
- The way I hold my breath every time a ball is hit to left field. Juan looks supremely un-confident out there.

Big Hurt so good
05-07-2011, 02:30 PM
The fact that this is a team full of guys that seem like fun and guys I, and any Sox fan, would find easy to root for if they were winning.... heck, if they were even around .500 right now.

There's a lot of good personalities and fun guys on this team, which when you're winning is awesome and would be cool but when they are playing like dog feces it doesn't show

We're being robbed of a very awesome summer by a historically bad 33-game stretch of baseball

Carneyman14
05-07-2011, 02:52 PM
not giving a crap about the rest of MLB because the Sox are so far out, who cares?

The fact that I'm about to make a trip to Chicago and not bringing a Sox Jersey. (we aren't gonna be in town + i'm too embarrassed anyways)

LITTLE NELL
05-07-2011, 03:16 PM
The batting stance employed by Alex Rios drives me nuts.
No fire in the belly of Teahen and Morel.
Ozzie always looking up in the stands, what's he looking at?

kufram
05-07-2011, 03:21 PM
This isn't just at White Sox games. Does it still count? The number of people sitting behind home plate talking on their phone and waving because they're on TV! If I could go to a game at the Cell I'd leave my phone turned off during the game.

This moan can be expanded to include the number of people not really watching the game... this year gets a pass because there just isn't enough decent baseball to watch. Yet.

gogosox675
05-07-2011, 03:42 PM
DJ's "We've got some work tooo dooo..." Makes me want to punch him in the neck (as Sox fans are wont to do according to that old thread on teams you should root for chart).
+1. This is exacerbated because the Sox have played so terribly and always have "work to do".

kaufsox
05-07-2011, 03:45 PM
"All in" commercials by the worst team in baseball!

+1 I didn't care much for it before the season, now it's sheer mockery.

grv1974
05-07-2011, 04:00 PM
The way they felt the need to replace the Sock/diamond on the left sleeve of the grey away jerseys with the Sox primary logo. As if the Sox logo wasn't already prominent enough on the hat.......

WhiteSox5187
05-07-2011, 04:13 PM
The use of the black jerseys, the new Sox logo on the gray ones. The fact that only Pierre wears stirrups.

Foulke You
05-07-2011, 04:13 PM
People who feel the need to post "at least I still have <insert other team that is doing well here>" into every postgame thread on WSI after yet another loss. It doesn't change that the Sox are doing poorly and I really don't care if you like the Bulls, Phillies, Knights or whoever.

JB98
05-07-2011, 04:35 PM
The fact that Gordon Beckham has turned into another soulless Walkerballing zombie.

I remember the day he said he wanted to lead this organization in the same way Derek Jeter leads the Yankees.

All that confidence has been destroyed now. Now, there's just a blank stare on his face most of the time. Sigh.

I don't know. Does that qualify as immaterial and trivial?

MeteorsSox4367
05-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Ozzie looking into the stands while the game is going on. I'm watching this bleeping team, so should he.

GlassSox
05-07-2011, 05:26 PM
This isn't just at White Sox games. Does it still count? The number of people sitting behind home plate talking on their phone and waving because they're on TV! If I could go to a game at the Cell I'd leave my phone turned off during the game.

This moan can be expanded to include the number of people not really watching the game... this year gets a pass because there just isn't enough decent baseball to watch. Yet.

The last Saturday home game, sitting right in front of me was a guy in a Cubs jersey who was sound asleep through most of the game. I kept hoping for a foul ball!

Lip Man 1
05-07-2011, 05:48 PM
JB:

You remember there were some rumors going around that after he made those comments some of his teammates got pissed off at him.

Apparently they didn't like someone with a pulse who you know, actually gave a damn about things like performance. You wonder if that hasn't played into his struggles.

Lip

soltrain21
05-07-2011, 05:54 PM
JB:

You remember there were some rumors going around that after he made those comments some of his teammates got pissed off at him.

Apparently they didn't like someone with a pulse who you know, actually gave a damn about things like performance. You wonder if that hasn't played into his struggles.

Lip

They got pissed off at Chris Getz when he said something about the youth of the team helping build an edge in the clubhouse.

It's a joke, really.

JB98
05-07-2011, 05:56 PM
JB:

Lip

I think Gordon would be an established big-leaguer by now if he had been drafted by a different organization.

Instead, he's teetering on the brink of a demotion to AAA.

I've posted my feelings about this previously when we had the Beckham thread.

sox1970
05-07-2011, 06:07 PM
I think Gordon would be an established big-leaguer by now if he had been drafted by a different organization.

Instead, he's teetering on the brink of a demotion to AAA.

I've posted my feelings about this previously when we had the Beckham thread.

I agree about Beckham being a better player if he were on a different team, but I think he deserves some of the blame.

It may have been a better idea to hold off on having a radio show twice a week his first full year. Having a charity that receives donations based on his own home runs. Taking on other endorsements and personal appearances.

Maybe it would have been better for him to be 100% focused on the game and acting like a young major league player, rather than try to act like an established veteran player.

JB98
05-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I agree about Beckham being a better player if he were on a different team, but I think he deserves some of the blame.

It may have been a better idea to hold off on having a radio show twice a week his first full year. Having a charity that receives donations based on his own home runs. Taking on other endorsements and personal appearances.

Maybe it would have been better for him to be 100% focused on the game and acting like a young major league player, rather than try to act like an established veteran player.

No question. A player ultimately is responsible for his own career. But the folks surrounding Mr. Beckham have been of no help to him as he attempts to establish himself as a big-leaguer.

TaylorStSox
05-07-2011, 06:21 PM
No question. A player ultimately is responsible for his own career. But the folks surrounding Mr. Beckham have been of no help to him as he attempts to establish himself as a big-leaguer.

I really have to disagree. Beckham was handed the keys and was completely empowered. He was given the job from day one with confidence. He's the one that hasn't lived up to his end of the bargain. I would agree that moving him around the diamond wasn't in his best interest, but he's been at 2nd for a long time now. Maybe, he just isn't that good. While his floor is high, maybe his ceiling is limited. I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look promising.

vinny
05-07-2011, 06:34 PM

This^10. And the fact that so few games are shown on WGN/WCIU.

JB98
05-07-2011, 06:35 PM
I really have to disagree. Beckham was handed the keys and was completely empowered. He was given the job from day one with confidence. He's the one that hasn't lived up to his end of the bargain. I would agree that moving him around the diamond wasn't in his best interest, but he's been at 2nd for a long time now. Maybe, he just isn't that good. While his floor is high, maybe his ceiling is limited. I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look promising.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Beckham was rushed to the major leagues before he was ready in order to fill a need at 3B, because a certain GM miscalculated and thought the combination of Josh Fields and Wilson Betemit could handle the position. Wrong. There's no doubt Beckham could have used another few hundred ABs in the minors. He should have been a September callup in 2009.

He was asked to change positions twice in two years. There is no veteran leadership to speak of on the team, because the veterans are all too trapped inside their own heads to ever help a young player out. The hitting coach here is completely useless. In fact, he ruins young hitters. Tyler Flowers was a good hitting prospect until he took Walk's advice last year. The manager here benches young players for every mistake they make, while brain-dead veterans are allowed to get away with gaffe after gaffe after gaffe. It's ridiculous. Young players who play for Ozzie Guillen have to be looking over their shoulder at all times.

The White Sox are probably the worst organization in baseball for a young player trying to cut his teeth. Worst of all, the organization allowed the hype surrounding this kid to get out of control before he had ever accomplished a damn thing in the big leagues.

I was at a game in August, 2009 where Beckham got three hits in four ABs off C.C. Sabathia. The first hit was a bullet down the right-field line for a double. The second hit was a bullet down the left-field line for a double. The third hit was a double into the right-center gap.

This kid used to have a swing where he could hit the ball hard from foul line to foul line. Not anymore. He's been RUINED by this organization. It absolutely makes me ****ing sick every time I see Gordon pull his head off the ball and fly open too quick. In other words, I'm sick nearly every time he comes to the plate.

dickallen15
05-07-2011, 07:49 PM
As bad as Beckham has hit, he's doing better than Hanley Ramirez so far this year. He'll be OK.

soxlady8
05-07-2011, 08:20 PM
The way they felt the need to replace the Sock/diamond on the left sleeve of the grey away jerseys with the Sox primary logo. As if the Sox logo wasn't already prominent enough on the hat.......

This really really really annoys me too !!!
What was wrong with the sock . It looked great !!!

WhiteSox5187
05-07-2011, 09:14 PM
They also have to stop running these "All In" commercials right now. Come up with a new slogan and film them.

Brian26
05-07-2011, 10:17 PM
I'll add one more that really bugs me every time I go in the kitchen. The 2011 Sox magnet schedule reads:

20II White Sox Schedule.

Instead of 2011, it's 20-Roman Numeral I-Roman Numeral I

SoxSpeed22
05-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I really have to disagree. Beckham was handed the keys and was completely empowered. He was given the job from day one with confidence. He's the one that hasn't lived up to his end of the bargain. I would agree that moving him around the diamond wasn't in his best interest, but he's been at 2nd for a long time now. Maybe, he just isn't that good. While his floor is high, maybe his ceiling is limited. I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look promising.I don't expect him to win any MVPs in his career, but he's way too talented to be playing like this. What I would like from him is a steady presence both on and off the field, with several All-star selections thrown in there. A little bit ahead of Michael Cuddyer. I was impressed with how quickly he picked up 3rd base in 2009, despite never playing it before and he looked like he picked up playing 2nd base pretty well too.
It's possible that the same thing that happened to Lastings Milledge happened to him. After the whole 'know your place, rook' thing that happened with Lastings, he didn't turn to his teammates for any help, even when he needed it.
I really hope that neither myself or Lip is right about this clubhouse having a problem with him wanting to be the leader and face of the franchise. Beckham turning into a bust would be the worst thing to happen going forward.

MountainCur
05-07-2011, 11:15 PM
"This team is too talented to be . . . "

doublem23
05-07-2011, 11:22 PM
I'll add one more that really bugs me every time I go in the kitchen. The 2011 Sox magnet schedule reads:

20II White Sox Schedule.

In fairness to the Sox, I believe that's just the font they used. I don't know the name off the top of my head, but that's just the way "1" is stylized in that font, it always looks like an "I".

ChiSoxGirl
05-07-2011, 11:58 PM

:gah: That annoys the hell outta me!!!

20II White Sox Schedule.

*ChiSoxGirl goes to her fridge to check out the magnetic schedule...*

I'll be damed... those are two Roman Numeral number ones! I never noticed that before.

Nellie_Fox
05-08-2011, 12:12 AM

The use of the black jerseys, the new Sox logo on the gray ones. The fact that only Pierre wears stirrups.

This really really really annoys me too !!!
What was wrong with the sock . It looked great !!!Really? I'm surprised no one noticed this before!

soxnut1018
05-08-2011, 12:47 AM
The way the new organist plays "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye".

The Sox logo on the sleeves of the Road Grays.

The pronunciation of Humber.

They no longer play "Sweet Home Chicago" after wins.

Foulke You
05-08-2011, 12:47 AM
He was asked to change positions twice in two years. There is no veteran leadership to speak of on the team, because the veterans are all too trapped inside their own heads to ever help a young player out.
I was with you on some of your points but this one I had to disagree with. It was reported in the Sun Times last year more than once that Paul Konerko took Beckham under his wing and taught him how to handle media questions and also tried to help him not beat himself up during his slump in the early part of 2010. It was also Konerko who suggested that perhaps Beckham had taken on too much off the field stuff for his first full season as a big league player. I would qualify what Paul did for Gordon last year as veteran leadership. However, I don't disagree with many of your other points.