PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Willie Mays

LITTLE NELL
05-06-2011, 01:42 PM
The Say Hey Kid turns 80 years old today. Saw him play many times at that Northside ballpark.
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/29104244

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2011, 01:45 PM
I only saw him play on television, but he was as good as it gets. Happy Birthday to the Say Hey Kid!

LITTLE NELL
05-06-2011, 01:54 PM
I only saw him play on television, but he was as good as it gets. Happy Birthday to the Say Hey Kid!

He probably played a couple of years too long. 1973 was embarrassing for him and his fans.

SI1020
05-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Just us oldtimers here so far. Willie truly was the total package and I'm grateful I got a chance to see him live, on the tube, and in the highlight reels. Happy Birthday Willie and thanks for the memories.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Wish I could have seen him play live. He was one of the most talented players in history, and I envy those who got to witness his impeccable play firsthand.

Happy birthday, Willie!

TDog
05-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately, my most vivid memory of Willie Mays from live TV was watching the 1973 World Series where he flipped the ball to another outfielder with a better arm.

Fortunately, the legend looms large enough that I can easily forget that I saw him struggle at the end of his career. There is no baseball statue the equal of the Willie Mays statue in the plaza with the 24 palm trees outside of AT&T, which has probably become one of the most photographed San Francisco landmarks. I believe that tonight at the Giants game they are giving away statue replicas. If that was in the original poster's link that I didn't click on, I apologize for being redundant.

My favorite line about Willie Mays is from a story former White Sox catcher and bullpen coach Art Kusnyer tells. He says Mays was so quick that when he was standing at the plate, a pitcher could throw a fistful of BBs at him and not hit him.

LITTLE NELL
05-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Just us oldtimers here so far. Willie truly was the total package and I'm grateful I got a chance to see him live, on the tube, and in the highlight reels. Happy Birthday Willie and thanks for the memories.

When you looked up "5 tool player" in Webster's, there would be a picture of Willie.

Paulwny
05-06-2011, 02:25 PM
At the time NYC had the best 3 centerfielders in the game, Mays, Mantle and Snider.
Happy birthday Willie.

white sox bill
05-06-2011, 02:39 PM
He probably played a couple of years too long. 1973 was embarrassing for him and his fans.
I'm pretty sure I have his 1970 Topps card, I wonder how much its worth....

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2011, 04:44 PM
When you're talking about the greatest players to ever play, Willie Mays is on the short list.

BainesHOF
05-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Best player ever?

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Best player ever?

I was thinking about this today and there are only two guys that I could think of that might be better and they are Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth and even then Willie might have been better than them at the game in every aspect of it

SI1020
05-06-2011, 07:47 PM
I was thinking about this today and there are only two guys that I could think of that might be better and they are Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth and even then Willie might have been better than them at the game in every aspect of it Including pitching?

TDog
05-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Including pitching?

That was a point a heard made on the Giants flagship radio station when I was on the road this afternoon. Another was the fact that Ruth was hitting more home runs relative to the rest of baseball than any other player in major league history. In 1927 when Ruth hit 60, Gehrig hit 47 and the rest of the Yankees hit 51. The A's as a team had the second most team homers at 56. The Red Sox hit only 28. The average team home run total among the eight NL teams was about 60.4.

On the other hand, you suspect there would have been home runs hit in major league baseball in 1927 if Josh Gibson was catching for a major league team.

Comparing Willie Mays to Babe Ruth is pointless.

Lon Simmons said before tonight's Giants game that if there were a Nobel Prize for baseball, Willie Mays would have won it. What Babe Ruth and Henry Aaron did are irrelevant to the fact that Willie Mays is a national treasure.

WSox597
05-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I saw him twice back in the '60s. It was my only two times at the Urinal in my life.

It was great, there were more Giants fans there than Cubs fans. LOL

People had bed sheets with "Say Hey" spray painted on them, carrying them around the park.

He was easily the most popular player in the park those days. The Giants had one hell of a team back then.

The park was a dump back then, too.

SephClone89
05-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Willie's been my all-time favourite baseball player for at least a decade now. He's a big part of why the Giants are my National League team, too.

I wish I could have seen him play.