PDA

View Full Version : Has it gotten to where you are watching the CUBS more these days??

captain54
05-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Let's admit it... it's too difficult to watch the Sox these days.... if this continues into the summer, I'll watch the scores, but I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time getting aggravated.

I will miss summer and baseball and the Sox....that being said, would you
consider sort of "adopting" the Cubs for your summer baseball fix?

Boondock Saint
05-06-2011, 12:18 AM
That's stupid. When the Bears suck, I don't watch the Packers, I just don't watch football. When the Hawks suck, I don't watch the Red Wings, I just don't watch hockey. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point.

SI1020
05-06-2011, 12:19 AM
No.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2011, 12:27 AM
I have absolutely no use for Chicago fans who jump back and forth between the Sox and the Cubs.

ChiSoxGal85
05-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Absolutely not. I'll just watch my son play summer baseball, and probably go see the Kane County Cougars more.

DirtySox
05-06-2011, 12:57 AM
I don't need to adopt any other team because I'll still watch the Sox; win or lose, good or bad.

That said I don't avoid watching the Cubs. Baseball is baseball, and I like it.

captain54
05-06-2011, 01:17 AM
That's stupid. When the Bears suck, I don't watch the Packers, I just don't watch football. When the Hawks suck, I don't watch the Red Wings, I just don't watch hockey. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point.

terrible analogies..... the Sox and Cubs don't compete in the same division...If the Cubs win, its a feather in the cap of the city of Chicago.

captain54
05-06-2011, 01:23 AM
I have absolutely no use for Chicago fans who jump back and forth between the Sox and the Cubs.

So, if I turn on ESPN and watch some good baseball, like a Philly game, does that mean I'm no longer a Sox fan, but a Philly fan?

I've been a Sox fan since I was 5, but I'm not gonna sit around watching something that's gonna aggravate me to no end. That's just plain dumb

manders_01
05-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Absolutely not. Especially since I haven't stopped watching the Sox.

guillensdisciple
05-06-2011, 03:07 AM
Nooooooooooo and not because you can't watch non aggravating baseball, but because they're the ****ing Chicago Cubs. They're the team you can't watch as a White Sox fan. They're the team you compete against for bragging rights in the city. Why in the hell would you concede?

Moses_Scurry
05-06-2011, 05:41 AM
I root harder against the cubs when the Sox are bad. Misery loves company.

If I adopt a temporary team in a bad Sox season, it will usually be whatever team is a surprise or at least hasn't won a title in a long time. This year, KC and the Marlins may be those teams.

Red Barchetta
05-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Absolutely not. The Cubs are irrelevant to me winning or losing. If anything, I watch the MLB network and just try to keep up with the rest of the league. I only follow the White Sox, however I watch other MLB games to take in the rest of the league.

DrCrawdad
05-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Let's admit it... it's too difficult to watch the Sox these days.... if this continues into the summer, I'll watch the scores, but I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time getting aggravated.

I get frustrated by the Sox and in disgust will tell myself that I'm not going to watch as much, but while I may not watch as many of the games on TV I'll always pay attention to the Sox, always have, always will. I can't say I gave the Cubbies much consideration at all until the late 1990's. The Sox are the team I root for, the team the I'm emotionally and loyally attached to. The Cubs have no such attachment for me. I will not replace any attention from the Sox with the Cubs.

Cubbies Clowns often claim that Cubbie fans pay absolutely no attention to the Sox. In fact I recall Al Yellon telling me that "Cubs fans are fixated on the Cubs...". However in 2005 when the Sox had the Indians hot on their heels Yellon admitted that many in the Wrigley bleachers were intently following the Sox division race (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=849962&postcount=1). And this year as the Sox are suffering through a horrid stretch Cubbie Clowns are again intently following the Sox.

Bucky F. Dent
05-06-2011, 08:16 AM
No! I'd rather eat lint.

Soxman24
05-06-2011, 08:19 AM
If the Sox continue to suck I just flip over the channel and watch the Cardinals (MLB package) or any other team that might be playing that night, just not the Cubs. I have nothing against the cubs, just don't get into them is all.

gobears1987
05-06-2011, 08:30 AM
I root harder against the cubs when the Sox are bad. Misery loves company.

That's how I feel.

GoSox2K3
05-06-2011, 08:34 AM
:threadblows:

AnkleSox
05-06-2011, 08:50 AM
It's not like the Cubs are a good baseball team either. Can't really see why I'd want to watch them.

MarySwiss
05-06-2011, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't watch the Cubs under any circumstances.

Scottiehaswheels
05-06-2011, 09:05 AM
:threadblows:+ infinity

Uncle_Patrick
05-06-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't hate the Cubs, but I have no interest in seeing them win, either, and I have trouble watching any game where I don't have a rooting interest.

Besides, as someone else point out, it's not like the Cubs are good this year, even if they are better than the Sox (and, at this point, who isn't?). If you don't want to watch a team that's going to make you frustrated, why would you pick the Cubs, unless you are rooting against them?

moochpuppy
05-06-2011, 09:25 AM
This thread should be closed and removed!!

PatK
05-06-2011, 09:46 AM
No, unless there is nothing else on.

If the Sox aren't playing, I generally don't watch baseball unless that's the only thing that interests me that's on at the time.

miker
05-06-2011, 09:51 AM
You should hit yourself in the head with a blunt object for even suggesting that! :mad:

MUsoxfan
05-06-2011, 09:57 AM
I have a friendly wager going with someone on the overall record of both teams. So I'll tune into the Cubs with the hope of them losing

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-06-2011, 10:36 AM
http://www.bluesbrotherscentral.com/images/profiles/characters/aretha-franklin.jpg

DON'T YOU BLASPHEME IN HERE!!!

LongLiveFisk
05-06-2011, 10:38 AM
I like to watch baseball, so if the Sox game is not on, yes I might watch the Cubs game. Or the Yankees, or the Braves, etc. I don't think that means you are jumping on (or off) any bandwagon, especially when you've always done it that way.

DumpJerry
05-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Directv has blocked them on my tv.

aryzner
05-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I like to watch baseball in general, so I will typically watch any team if I'm in the mood for watching baseball.

white sox bill
05-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Unlike previous yrs, I have no interest in the cubs at all. Haven't seen one play all year. If I've heard correctly they aren't doing very good. But I sure don't case on them especially this yr since our boys suck so much.

I guess being indifferent towards them is worst than hating them, at least hate is an emotion.

But to answer the question, no

C-Dawg
05-06-2011, 11:24 AM
If the Cubs win, its a feather in the cap of the city of Chicago.

That makes no sense. I don't care if "Chicago" in general is successful; just the Sox.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2011, 11:32 AM
So, if I turn on ESPN and watch some good baseball, like a Philly game, does that mean I'm no longer a Sox fan, but a Philly fan?

terrible analogies..... the Sox and Cubs don't compete in the same division...If the Cubs win, its a feather in the cap of the city of Chicago.Do you guys not get the difference, or do you not want to? The Sox don't directly compete against the Phillies for fans and TV money. They do compete directly against the Cubs for those things. If the Cubs get more people through the turnstyles and better TV ratings, that directly hurts the Sox.

Cubs success = White Sox harm. It's not totally a zero-sum game, but pretty damn close.

kittle42
05-06-2011, 11:33 AM

This is one of the worst things ever written on this site.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2011, 11:46 AM
This is one of the worst things ever written on this site.
:thumbsup:

miker
05-06-2011, 11:56 AM
terrible analogies..... the Sox and Cubs don't compete in the same division...If the Cubs win, its a feather in the cap of the city of Chicago.
:bong:

DumpJerry
05-06-2011, 12:01 PM
How so? The City of Chicago does not sign the players and call the plays on the field, etc.

Heck, the Cubs don't even play in Chicago. They play on the North Side.

JB98
05-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Absolutely not. I'll just watch my son play summer baseball, and probably go see the Kane County Cougars more.

Heh, heh. Unfortunately, they are playing the same kind of ball as the Sox. Can't hit a lick. Even with the 14-inning win last night, they are 9-19 on the campaign. Ten losses in the last 12 games.

I was talking to our Cougars beat guy the other night, and we were debating who would win a game between the Sox and the Cougars.

We agreed one team or the other would win 1-0 in 18 innings on an unearned run.

I'm sure the Sox have never faced any of the Cougar pitchers, so it would be tough for them.

Smokey Burg
05-06-2011, 12:47 PM
No way. My fascination with the cubs ended a long time ago. So now that the Sox are in last place am I supposed to turn them off and watch the next to last place cubs? blech! Right now, if the Sox are blowing it and I can't watch anymore the Bulls are playing just about every other day.

ChiSoxGal85
05-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Heh, heh. Unfortunately, they are playing the same kind of ball as the Sox. Can't hit a lick. Even with the 14-inning win last night, they are 9-19 on the campaign. Ten losses in the last 12 games.

I was talking to our Cougars beat guy the other night, and we were debating who would win a game between the Sox and the Cougars.

We agreed one team or the other would win 1-0 in 18 innings on an unearned run.

I'm sure the Sox have never faced any of the Cougar pitchers, so it would be tough for them.
Crap. There goes the neighborhood. :D: I thought the Royals were supposed to have this awesome farm system? Is that only at the Triple A level?

And you're so right about the Sox having trouble facing new pitchers....I'd worry about them getting no-hit against the Cougars. Teal implied. Sort of.

FielderJones
05-06-2011, 12:50 PM
When the Sox start to get interesting again I will start watching baseball again. Until then I will stay busy with other activities. I have zero interest in the Cubs, except for beating them six times.

JB98
05-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Crap. There goes the neighborhood. :D: I thought the Royals were supposed to have this awesome farm system? Is that only at the Triple A level?

And you're so right about the Sox having trouble facing new pitchers....I'd worry about them getting no-hit against the Cougars. Teal implied. Sort of.

Their farm system is highly regarded. I think the Cougars people were expecting a better start to the season.

From what I gather, they've got some Latin players who are having trouble making adjustments in terms of the culture, as well as the poor weather we've been experiencing.

And just in general, the Cougars hit the straight ball very much. Curve ball, bats are afraid. The Cedar Rapids guys were throwing lots of breaking balls to Cougar hitters earlier this week, and they swept the three-game set.

g0g0
05-06-2011, 01:27 PM
It's not like the Cubs are a good baseball team either. Can't really see why I'd want to watch them.

This is why I wouldn't think Sox fans (of any opinion) should watch the Cubs right now. We aren't doing horribly, but there are much more exciting clubs out there to watch if you are looking for another option.

DumpJerry
05-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Their farm system is highly regarded. I think the Cougars people were expecting a better start to the season.

From what I gather, they've got some Latin players who are having trouble making adjustments in terms of the culture, as well as the poor weather we've been experiencing.
Where have I heard that before?

LITTLE NELL
05-06-2011, 01:34 PM
I will never stop watching the Sox especially since I don't get to see them much on TV. I watch the Rays and Marlins on a regular basis except when a Sox game is on. Its 2:30PM on Friday and I have the Cubs on, only to watch them lose. If somehow they get a big lead, I'll turn them off. Today at 3pm the PGA tour is on so its off with the Cubs.

SI1020
05-06-2011, 01:45 PM
This is one of the worst things ever written on this site. Reading it made me feel like I just got a real hard punch in the gut.

Dan H
05-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Watch the Sox less, yes. Watch the Cubs? Never.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Watch the Sox less, yes. Watch the Cubs? Never.

LongLiveFisk
05-06-2011, 03:05 PM
A little off-topic, but I am really surprised the "Cubbies" don't have any real decent fan board like we have with WSI. I saw Northside Baseball and it looks pretty damn cheesy to me (no offense, g0g0. :tongue:)

miker
05-06-2011, 03:13 PM
A little off-topic, but I am really surprised the "Cubbies" don't have any real decent fan board like we have with WSI. I saw Northside Baseball and it looks pretty damn cheesy to me (no offense, g0g0. :tongue:)

For a board of WSI's quality, you need fans with a certain level of passion, intelligence, creativity, self-deprecation and zeitgeist...you need White Sox fans.

g0g0
05-06-2011, 03:43 PM

LOL none taken - why do you think I'm here? :D: But ya, most kinda suck. There are a few good ones, but none as active as WSI.

JB98
05-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Where have I heard that before?

At least low-level minor-leaguers have an excuse. Most of these Latins on the Cougars are between the ages of 18-20 and are in the U.S. for the first time.

On the first homestand, a couple of them walked out of the clubhouse wrapped in blankets because they had not yet purchased a winter coat. They had no clue it would be 33 degrees during night games here in April.

The guys in the Majors, well, they should know the deal by now.

SoxFan78
05-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Definitely, positively NO!

fox23
05-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Of course not. This may be the worst thread ever.

Daver
05-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Has it gotten to where you are watching the CUBS more these days??

You're kidding, right?

captain54
05-06-2011, 05:43 PM
You're kidding, right?

Nope...Life's too short to be aggravated, pissed off, frustrated and depressed...I love baseball and the Sox but I also value my sanity and
mental health.. If I can watch a team I'm not emotionally connected to, I still get my baseball fix and get to keep my sanity.

Also, some of you guys with the juvenile Sox vs Cubs stuff....C'mon, grow up...

kittle42
05-06-2011, 06:04 PM

We can root for - or against - whomever we want!

WSox597
05-06-2011, 07:41 PM
That, will never happen to me. Ever.

If the Sox aren't on, I'm not watching baseball. If the Sox really stink, like now, I'm not watching baseball. I'll turn the Sox on to see how they're doing, but will tune it out if they're involved in yet another suck fest.

The Bulls are on now, so that makes up for a so far lousy Sox season.

The Cubs? I only watch them when they're playing the Sox. Or if I'm at my mother's home, she's a Cubs fan who also likes the Sox.

I'm a Sox fan. First, last, and always. Even as bad as they're playing right now, I'm still a fan. I have hope they'll straighten themselves out, in spite of stupid moves by the manager.

Zisk77
05-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Watching the who? What? I'd watch soccer first...right after i gauged my eyes out.

StillMissOzzie
05-06-2011, 08:51 PM
I have no problem watching the Cubs. I'd rather watch baseball on TV than most of the other crap now filling the airwaves. Not instead of the Sox, but pretty much anytime when the schedules don't conflict.

But cheer for the Cubs? Nope. Never gonna happen.

SMO

palehozenychicty
05-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Nein

Nellie_Fox
05-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Also, some of you guys with the juvenile Sox vs Cubs stuff....C'mon, grow up...Did you bother to read the part about the financial reality of Cubs success in TV ratings or box office being BAD for the White Sox? If you don't understand that, it's you that needs to grow up.

gogosox675
05-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Pretty much the only time I see the Cubs is when I walk through my parents' living room. I've seen way too much of them in my first 19 years; I don't need anymore.

TommyGavinFloyd
05-07-2011, 03:07 AM
I'm not watching more of the Cubs, but I already watched them a lot in the first place. Today was a perfect example, the Cubs were on at 1 and I had the day off so I watched them play the Reds. And it was a good game. I just wrapped up watching the Sox dvr'd. I like baseball and if it's on tv, I will watch it. I don't see what the big deal is.

soxnut1018
05-07-2011, 03:07 AM
If they have a day game and the Sox have a night game, then I might tune in. I like baseball and I do enjoy watching Starlin Castro. But I would never watch them over the Sox under any circumstances.

doublem23
05-07-2011, 07:32 AM
I still throw a Cub game on occasionally, but no more or less than usual. They always seem to be playing my 2nd favorite team!

MrT27
05-07-2011, 08:53 AM
I personally wouldn't do this but I wouldn't rang on anyone who did. They are still a Chicago team and unlike Bears-Packers or Bulls-Pistons they aren't in the same division. In my eyes there is no real rivalry outside what the fans made up and they are just another NL team that happens to play in the same city as the team I root for.

GoGoCrede
05-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Not at all. I just don't watch baseball, period if it's not the Sox.

TommyGavinFloyd
05-07-2011, 01:54 PM
And here again today I find myself watching them. I just don't see why not, it's baseball. I mean I'm not ROOTING for them. I'm just watching. Whatever happens is going to happen regardless of who I "root" for, so I'm just looking on. I mean, I already mowed the lawn and got my Mom her Mother's Day presents. It's raining out. And *** else is on, honestly?

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-07-2011, 01:59 PM
The answer is yes I watch them and have. I love baseball. It is unreal that people are so upset by this question. You would think the Cubs are a disease. I am not a "fan" but I like baseball. Hell, root for the other team! I am watching them as we speak.

captain54
05-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Did you bother to read the part about the financial reality of Cubs success in TV ratings or box office being BAD for the White Sox? If you don't understand that, it's you that needs to grow up.

1) the Sox organization dug their own grave. They took the rewards and
accolades of 05', now they take the pain and misery of having a terrible product to offer and people not tuning in and looking for viewing alternatives.. that's how it works.

2)I've logged in my time and put in my 1000's of hours of White Sox viewing, going to back to, say 1962. If I decide to take a pass on a year
that literally makes me nauseous, I believe that's my prerogative.

3)Enjoy your many hours of White Sox viewing this summer!!

WSox597
05-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Tell it to Cubs fans, that when the Sox win it's a feather in the cap of the city of Chicago. See what kind of responses you get.

The first one will be "2005? That's so old, You have to get over that."

Then it goes down hill from there. So, no, I won't watch them unless it's against the Sox.

miker
05-08-2011, 12:12 AM

Gentlemen, please! Rest your sphincters!

gogosox675
05-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Tell it to Cubs fans, that when the Sox win it's a feather in the cap of the city of Chicago. See what kind of responses you get.

Then it goes down hill from there. So, no, I won't watch them unless it's against the Sox.
This is literally what my mom said when I brought that team up a few months ago. The Cubs haven't won since 1907, but the 2005 World Championship for the Sox is now ancient history.

Big Hurt so good
05-08-2011, 04:04 AM
I might watch their games just to watch baseball... if their opponent is good or they're facing a good pitcher... but that's no different than before...

I would never watch to watch the Cubs

C-Dawg
05-08-2011, 08:17 AM
If I can watch a team I'm not emotionally connected to, I still get my baseball fix and get to keep my sanity.

The first sentence I quoted more or less refutes the second one. If I'm not watching the Sox (because they're bad this year), I'm spending time doing the million other things I'm interested in. I have no interest in the Cubs and know very little about them so I don't need to glue myself to the TV for a couple-three hours every day watching them. I don't think I'm being juvenile at all.

captain54
05-08-2011, 11:42 AM
If I'm not watching the Sox (because they're bad this year), I'm spending time doing the million other things I'm interested in. I have no interest in the Cubs and know very little about them so I don't need to glue myself to the TV for a couple-three hours every day watching them. I don't think I'm being juvenile at all.

The juvenile stuff is more or less the "I'd never set foot in Wrigley Field",
or "I hope they lose 120 games every year"..

I've gotten reactions of baseball fans from other parts of the country on the Cubs/Sox rivalry and they think we're a bunch of morons, on both sides.

If the Cubs win..fine...if they don't win....fine....who gives a damn....Now if both teams, Cubs and Sox suck, it reflects badly on the city...we're supposed to be one of the premier baseball cities in America.

miker
05-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Now if both teams, Cubs and Sox suck, it reflects badly on the city...we're supposed to be one of the premier baseball cities in America.

Really? Chicago looks bad because they have not one but two inept baseball organizations? Thank goodness no one is noticing all the political corruption, struggling public schools and daily murders by the dozen!

captain54
05-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Really? Chicago looks bad because they have not one but two inept baseball organizations? Thank goodness no one is noticing all the political corruption, struggling public schools and daily murders by the dozen!

Right...pretty much like every other major metropolitan area in the United States..

TaylorStSox
05-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Did you bother to read the part about the financial reality of Cubs success in TV ratings or box office being BAD for the White Sox? If you don't understand that, it's you that needs to grow up.

While this is somewhat true, I think you're overstating it. I don't think we really compete with the Cubs for casual fans. The Sox success is directly related to how good we are. If the Cubs happen to be good, it doesn't really effect the profits of the Sox. The Cubs draw well because they provide an event in a fun neighborhood for Yup's. The Sox draw well when they win. If people want to tune into a Cubs game, it doesn't change the landscape of Chicago fandom. With that said, no, I don't watch the Cubs. It's not that I dislike them. I just don't care.

doublem23
05-08-2011, 05:10 PM

Daily murders by the dozen?

Might want to recheck that math. You're only off by several... thousand.

gogosox675
05-08-2011, 06:38 PM
The juvenile stuff is more or less the "I'd never set foot in Wrigley Field",
or "I hope they lose 120 games every year"..

I've gotten reactions of baseball fans from other parts of the country on the Cubs/Sox rivalry and they think we're a bunch of morons, on both sides.

If the Cubs win..fine...if they don't win....fine....who gives a damn....Now if both teams, Cubs and Sox suck, it reflects badly on the city...we're supposed to be one of the premier baseball cities in America.
At least it's not as annoying as Red Sox/Yankees.

doublem23
05-08-2011, 07:31 PM

You know, when you really think about it, sports in general is pretty stupid...

"The millionaires who don't care about me that happen to wear the colors I like are better than the millionaires who don't care about you that happen to wear the colors you like, HA HA HA HA!"

There are geographic rivalries everywhere... Yankees/Mets, Cardinals/Royals, Dodgers/Angels, Giants/A's, Nationals/Orioles, Marlins/Rays... That's already 1/2 the teams in the Majors.

The Cubs and Sox are rivals. Just deal with it.

DumpJerry
05-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Now if both teams, Cubs and Sox suck, it reflects badly on the city...we're supposed to be one of the premier baseball cities in America.
Huh? The people of Chicago did not put the two teams together. In fact, the people of Chicago have no power or other influence over the decisions the management of the teams make.

Now, if a team sucks eggs, but draws huge crowds day after day despite the crap performance, you would have to wonder about the judgment of the people in the city and that could be considered a bad reflection on the city. But that never happens here.....oh wait..........

miker
05-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Daily murders by the dozen?

Might want to recheck that math. You're only off by several... thousand.

OK, maybe its exagerated...but you have to admit its more than it should be.

doublem23
05-08-2011, 09:21 PM
OK, maybe its exagerated...but you have to admit its more than it should be.

1 is more than it should be, but if you objectively compare Chicago's violent crime rate with other major urban areas it's basically right in line. Plus, the vast majority of violent crime in the city takes place in a very, very small area.

This would be like me suggesting that all of suburban Chicago is dangerous because one guy got shot and killed in Harvey this weekend.

RadioheadRocks
05-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Hell No!!!!!!!!!

Nellie_Fox
05-09-2011, 12:36 AM
I've gotten reactions of baseball fans from other parts of the country on the Cubs/Sox rivalry and they think we're a bunch of morons, on both sides. I react to this the same way I react to being told what various European countries think of America. I don't give a damn. The fans from other parts of the country didn't grow up with it, can't understand it, and won't understand it.

Dan H
05-09-2011, 02:37 AM

There's a Cub fan at work who likes to tell me that the Sox have won only one more World Series than the Cubs. Then he gloats over any Sox defeat or disappointment.

I don't have any intention of setting foot in Wrigley Field. I like nothing about the place from its overrated atmosphere, lousy baseball and fans who still hold a grudge against Steve Bartman. I do get frustrated watching the Sox struggle like they have this season. But that doesn't make me want to watch the Cubs. There's nothing to see.

captain54
05-09-2011, 10:31 AM

Thanks for your valuable advice, but I've been dealing with it since 1962.

SephClone89
05-09-2011, 11:01 AM
There are geographic rivalries everywhere... Yankees/Mets, Cardinals/Royals, Dodgers/Angels, Giants/A's, Nationals/Orioles, Marlins/Rays... That's already 1/2 the teams in the Majors.

Only one of those could be called an actual rivalry.

SephClone89
05-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Now, if a team sucks eggs, but draws huge crowds day after day despite the crap performance, you would have to wonder about the judgment of the people in the city and that could be considered a bad reflection on the city. But that never happens here.....oh wait..........

This again? We're actually saying that attendance is a bad thing? Come on now.

LongLiveFisk
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM

You know what they say about opinions. Everyone has one (well, that's the nice version of the expression)...

How many of those baseball fans live in a city where there is no other team? Only one team to root for with no other competition within city limits. Those are not the people whose opinions hold a lot of water on the matter because if you don't live it, you truly don't get it. People in St Louis don't get it. People in Houston don't get it. People in Boston don't get it. (Sorry, Fenway.)

Also, any heated rivalry looks silly from afar where people are too far removed from it to really understand the roots of it. I don't get the whole Michigan/Ohio State thing, or the USC/UCLA thing, or to me, even Yankees/Mets might seem silly yet I am sure some people in NY might not think so.

So you see what I am saying is it's easy for people who don't live it and therefore, don't get it, to criticize.

Zisk77
05-09-2011, 11:28 AM
You know, when you really think about it, sports in general is pretty stupid...

"The millionaires who don't care about me that happen to wear the colors I like are better than the millionaires who don't care about you that happen to wear the colors you like, HA HA HA HA!"

Cards and Royals are on opposites sides of the state. I live in Cardinal country. The Royals aren't even mentioned on the news. There is no rivalry.

Marlins & Rays? They don't even have fans. There is probably more Sox, Sawks, Yank, and Cubs fans in Fla than Marlins and Rays fans. Once again, Rays and Marlins are not in the same city different parts of the state.

Nats and Orioles. Have the Nats even been in existence long enough to be a rival and both franchises have been bad.

C-Dawg
05-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Cards and Royals are on opposites sides of the state. I live in Cardinal country. The Royals aren't even mentioned on the news. There is no rivalry.

I agree. Cardinals/Royals are sort of like Reds/Indians. When I lived in Cincinnati the team in Cleveland may as well have been playing on the moon; they weren't rivals. Its only in its justification of interleague play has MLB decided that all these "rivalries" exist.

The Critic
05-09-2011, 05:30 PM
I watch Cubs games regardless of how the Sox are playing.
I enjoy baseball and my wife and daughter are Cubs fans (my daughter likes both teams because we like both teams, but I think she's a little more of a Cubs fan).
I'll watch any ballgame that's on if I'm in the mood for baseball. I think the rivalry is silly, anyway. I don't get worked up about the Cubs or who likes them.

GoGoCrede
05-10-2011, 11:43 AM
At least it's not as annoying as Red Sox/Yankees.

And not as ridiculously lopsided as Sawx/Yankees was before Boston began winning titles (and even so). I read somewhere, possibly here, that the reason Cubs/Sox is more intense is because both teams were so bad for so long, whereas the Yankees have all those titles. Cubs/Sox were on a more even playing ground.

SI1020
05-10-2011, 01:08 PM
The most common reaction is that when someone finds out you're from Chicago they almost always assume you root for the Cubs. Actually there are rivalries everywhere in every sport. Down here where I live people get all worked up over South Carolina vs Clemson, which is pretty mild compared to say Auburn vs Alabama.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6129272

People get worked up over sports everywhere on the planet. I doubt very seriously that large numbers of people anywhere think Sox and Cub fans are "morons" because of their rivalry. No matter where you live there is probably a team in your area that has a big rival they've sworn to conquer and defeat. It's a better alternative than constant warfare.

Nellie_Fox
05-10-2011, 02:00 PM
I have friends in Scotland. The level to which they get worked up over the Rangers/Celtic rivalry in Glasgow is astounding.

fram40
05-14-2011, 11:58 AM
I watch the Cubs when I am in need of a good laugh. They almost never disappoint. Not in the forty plus years I can remember.

When the Sox find creative ways to lose, I am annoyed to high heaven. When the Cubs do it - I laugh.

slavko
05-15-2011, 01:23 PM
The most common reaction is that when someone finds out you're from Chicago they almost always assume you root for the Cubs. Actually there are rivalries everywhere in every sport. Down here where I live people get all worked up over South Carolina vs Clemson, which is pretty mild compared to say Auburn vs Alabama.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6129272

People get worked up over sports everywhere on the planet. I doubt very seriously that large numbers of people anywhere think Sox and Cub fans are "morons" because of their rivalry. No matter where you live there is probably a team in your area that has a big rival they've sworn to conquer and defeat. It's a better alternative than constant warfare.

A kindly fellow at work who came from St. Louis once apologized to me for the way his Cardinals made life difficult for the Cubbies. He was pleasantly surprised that I hated them as much as he did.

RadioheadRocks
05-15-2011, 04:38 PM
A kindly fellow at work who came from St. Louis once apologized to me for the way his Cardinals made life difficult for the Cubbies. He was pleasantly surprised that I hated them as much as he did.

Bob Roarman
05-15-2011, 06:32 PM
I'll watch any ballgame that's on if I'm in the mood for baseball. I think the rivalry is silly, anyway. I don't get worked up about the Cubs or who likes them.

Copy that. The team itself may not be any good, but Starlin Castro is great to watch. I try to watch his at bats as much as I can.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-16-2011, 12:01 PM
I have friends in Scotland. The level to which they get worked up over the Rangers/Celtic rivalry in Glasgow is astounding.

I have friends HERE that take that one pretty seriously.

DSpivack
05-16-2011, 12:08 PM
I have friends HERE that take that one pretty seriously.

It's gotten particularly nasty this past season.

Also, I was watching the Fire take on the Portland Timbers a week or two ago. Portland's coach is Catholic and from Glasgow. The first team he signed with? Rangers!

doublem23
05-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Also, I was watching the Fire take on the Portland Timbers a week or two ago. Portland's coach is Catholic and from Glasgow. The first team he signed with? Rangers!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

DSpivack
05-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Spencer_%28footballer%29

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/05/12/portlands-spencer-attack-celtic-manager-embarrassing-scots

FielderJones
05-16-2011, 04:19 PM
And not as ridiculously lopsided as Sawx/Yankees was before Boston began winning titles (and even so). I read somewhere, possibly here, that the reason Cubs/Sox is more intense is because both teams were so bad for so long, whereas the Yankees have all those titles. Cubs/Sox were on a more even playing ground.

There's that, plus Chicago is the only city in MLB that still has both its charter franchises from both the NL and the AL. That's a long continuum of competition for the city's baseball fans.

PeteWard
05-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Never and by the way, the Cubs record will be worse than that of the Sox within a week. I saw the highlights vs Cincy tonight. They gave away 6 runs.

TommyGavinFloyd
05-19-2011, 02:44 AM
It can have its benefits sometimes. I still remember watching the Sosa corked bat game live. Stone questioned if it was "a spot of mold". :o:

doublem23
05-19-2011, 06:19 AM
Never and by the way, the Cubs record will be worse than that of the Sox within a week. I saw the highlights vs Cincy tonight. They gave away 6 runs.

Yeah they are pretty awful. If you're trying to escape the doldrums of this Sox team with the Lovable Losers, I at least hope you're rooting for the other team.

Domeshot17
05-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Does this thread really exist? The Sox are struggling so the answer is the Cubs? I could understand being caught up in the Bulls too much to notice the Sox right now, or even a team like the Braves or Phillies……but the Cubs? Do you watch the Packers when the Bears suck? Or the Red Wings when the Hawks were bad? This isn’t like watching the Wolves over the Blackhawks.

MARTINMVP
05-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Does this thread really exist? The Sox are struggling so the answer is the Cubs? I could understand being caught up in the Bulls too much to notice the Sox right now, or even a team like the Braves or Phillies……but the Cubs? Do you watch the Packers when the Bears suck? Or the Red Wings when the Hawks were bad? This isn’t like watching the Wolves over the Blackhawks.

I'm glad somebody finally asked this question.

In all honesty, it is threads like THIS and plenty of others on WSI that give Flub fans the ammunition to think that Sox fans are indeed obsessed with Cub hatred. I don't mean to come across as negative, and while I did enjoy reading this thread up to a certain point, you typically will not see threads like this on Cubbie forums or blogs.

asindc
05-19-2011, 01:44 PM

In all honesty, it is threads like THIS and plenty of others on WSI that give Flub fans the ammunition to think that Sox fans are indeed obsessed with Cub hatred. I don't mean to come across as negative, and while I did enjoy reading this thread up to a certain point, you typically will not see threads like this on Cubbie forums or blogs.

QFT. We should be collectively ashamed that this thread even exists.

Nellie_Fox
05-19-2011, 02:59 PM

In all honesty, it is threads like THIS and plenty of others on WSI that give Flub fans the ammunition to think that Sox fans are indeed obsessed with Cub hatred. I don't mean to come across as negative, and while I did enjoy reading this thread up to a certain point, you typically will not see threads like this on Cubbie forums or blogs.I don't care what Cubs fans think of Sox fans, and I won't see threads like this on a Cubs forum or blog because I won't be on one.

Frontman
05-19-2011, 05:44 PM
I only watch the Cubs long enough to see them commit an error. Usually only takes about 5 to 10 minutes.....

I live and die by the White Sox. While I'll pay attention to the box scores; I certainly won't sit down for 3+ hours and watch a Cubs game. Doubly so if its a national broadcast and I get the likes of Rick Sutcliffe saying about how great and wonderful a human being Ron Santo was......

spawn
05-19-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't care what Cubs fans think of Sox fans, and I won't see threads like this on a Cubs forum or blog because I won't be on one.

Same here. I don't follow the Cubs at all anymore.

GoSox2K3
05-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Why would any Sox fan want to follow the Cubs this weekend to hear all the vomit-inducing Cubs-Red Sox "two storied franchises" coverage?
:puking::puking::puking:

....and anyway, the Cubs are 4 games under .500 and the Sox are 5 games under .500. Are Sox fans really talking about turning to watching the much better Cubs play? :?:

Don't worry though. For those of us not "turning to the Cubs", the Cubune is keeping the Cubs coverage alive and well. I know this sounds Hangar-esque, but check out the Trib's online sports section today after the Sox swept the division leader at home and the Cubs swept a non-rival on the road:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/#&lid=Sports&lpos=Main

Cubs Win 5-1 to Sweep Marlins
- Buckner
- Cubs/Red Sox
- Soriano vs. the Green Monster
- Cubs-Red Sox preview
- Vote: Wrigley vs. Fenway

Sox Roll to 8-2 Win | Photos
-

miker
05-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Why would any Sox fan want to follow the Cubs this weekend to hear all the vomit-inducing Cubs-Red Sox "two storied franchises" coverage?

I've imposed my own media blackout in anticipation of the upcoming gush-fest.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Why would any Sox fan want to follow the Cubs this weekend to hear all the vomit-inducing Cubs-Red Sox "two storied franchises" coverage?The Cubs ARE a storied franchise. It's a sad, sad story.

SI1020
05-20-2011, 03:30 PM
The Cubs ARE a storied franchise. It's a sad, sad story. Except the national media leaves the second part out.

RadioheadRocks
05-22-2011, 01:44 AM

More like a "Who's Who of Who Cares?????"

Dan H
05-22-2011, 02:21 AM

....and anyway, the Cubs are 4 games under .500 and the Sox are 5 games under .500. Are Sox fans really talking about turning to watching the much better Cubs play? :?:

Don't worry though. For those of us not "turning to the Cubs", the Cubune is keeping the Cubs coverage alive and well. I know this sounds Hangar-esque, but check out the Trib's online sports section today after the Sox swept the division leader at home and the Cubs swept a non-rival on the road:

- Buckner
- Cubs/Red Sox
- Cubs-Red Sox preview

-

All the recent Cub-Boston hype has been sickening. ESPN has also contributed to this nonsense. There was nothing special about the Cubs traveling to Boston. There is nothing special about the Cubs period. And Wrigley? The Cubs better hope a piece of Wrigley doesn't end up falling on the fans.

gobears1987
05-22-2011, 05:29 AM

- Buckner
- Cubs/Red Sox
- Cubs-Red Sox preview

-

There is a lot of truth to what Hangar said about media coverage in Chicago.

DrCrawdad
05-22-2011, 08:14 AM
I wonder what fans of The Other Sox will think of the Cubbies & Cubbie Clowns after Fenway was invaded by Cubbie ClowNation these three games?

Cubbie fans and Other Sox fans have often talked about the "bond" between the teams fanbases. Of course that's easy to say when your team has only had 3 games against each other since 1918.

Other Sox lose tonight and I bet the tide turns against Cubbie fans.

LongLiveFisk
05-22-2011, 10:22 AM
I wonder what fans of The Other Sox will think of the Cubbies & Cubbie Clowns after Fenway was invaded by Cubbie ClowNation these three games?

Cubbie fans and Other Sox fans have often talked about the "bond" between the teams fanbases. Of course that's easy to say when your team has only had 3 games against each other since 1918.

Other Sox lose tonight and I bet the tide turns against Cubbie fans.

I was reading the game thread on the "Sons of Sam Horn" Red Sox fan site and a couple of people commented that Cubs fans are stupid and also that they had no idea how obnoxious Cubs fans were. (Pot meet kettle? :tongue:) Also one guy mentioned a couple of times how annoyed he was that there seemed to be more Cubs fans there than Red Sox fans. Well, of course there were. If I was a Red Sox season ticket holder and could sell my seats to someone who was willing to pay up the ass, why not?

C-Dawg
05-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Cubbie fans and Other Sox fans have often talked about the "bond" between the teams fanbases.

Its really just the Cub fans who believe there is a "bond". Red Sox fans may be annoying, yes, but they're not so stupid to think they're somehow linked to the sorry NL team in Chicago.

soxinem1
05-22-2011, 10:42 AM

You gotta be..... BLEEPIN' ME!!

DrCrawdad
05-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Its really just the Cub fans who believe there is a "bond". Red Sox fans may be annoying, yes, but they're not so stupid to think they're somehow linked to the sorry NL team in Chicago.

You're right. It was Cubbie fans who glommed onto Red Sox '04 World Series Championship as if it were the Cubbies who'd won. And in my experience many of the folks wearing Red Sox gear when the Other Sox play at The Cell are in fact Cubbie fans playing dress-up.

I was reading the game thread on the "Sons of Sam Horn" Red Sox fan site and a couple of people commented that Cubs fans are stupid and also that they had no idea how obnoxious Cubs fans were. (Pot meet kettle? :tongue:) Also one guy mentioned a couple of times how annoyed he was that there seemed to be more Cubs fans there than Red Sox fans. Well, of course there were. If I was a Red Sox season ticket holder and could sell my seats to someone who was willing to pay up the ass, why not?

Let me know what they say IF the Cubbies win tonight. No doubt they'll have had their fill of Cubbie ClowNation - their BS and bravado, their dorky & ill-timed "Go Cubs Go" after a rare Cubbie win (if that song should ever be sung it should only be before a game) and their waving the "W" flags after a win, in the opposition's ballpark.

NOTE TO TEAMS OPPOSING THE CUBBIES AT WRIGLEY: If they are so bold as to wave a "W" flag in your face, in your ballpark, it is only fitting that you wave "L" flags in their faces when your team beats the Cubbies at Wrigley.

LongLiveFisk
05-22-2011, 05:33 PM
You're right. It was Cubbie fans who glommed onto Red Sox '04 World Series Championship as if it were the Cubbies who'd won. And in my experience many of the folks wearing Red Sox gear when the Other Sox play at The Cell are in fact Cubbie fans playing dress-up.

Let me know what they say IF the Cubbies win tonight. No doubt they'll have had their fill of Cubbie ClowNation - their BS and bravado, their dorky & ill-timed "Go Cubs Go" after a rare Cubbie win (if that song should ever be sung it should only be before a game) and their waving the "W" flags after a win, in the opposition's ballpark.

NOTE TO TEAMS OPPOSING THE CUBBIES AT WRIGLEY: If they are so bold as to wave a "W" flag in your face, in your ballpark, it is only fitting that you wave "L" flags in their faces when your team beats the Cubbies at Wrigley.

Thought you'd like this one:

"The Red Sox should not lose 2 in a row to a team that has an infantile name like the "Cubbies." "Let's Go Cubbies" should be voiced at a Little League game, not at Fenway. Send these fans of theirs back to O'hare crying like "babies." My White Sox fan friend couldn't have been more correct in describing them. "

PS. Mods, not sure if I can cut and paste there. I know if it's copyright material we can't but does that apply to a fan posting on a message board?

TheVulture
05-22-2011, 10:14 PM
You gotta be..... BLEEPIN' ME!!

Every time I open what's the score for the last month this thread has been at the top of the list. It fills me with shame. Quite frankly this could be the worst original thread post in the history of WSI, no offense to the OP.

LongLiveFisk
05-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Actually I saw some of the game tonight. This series was a little plagued with batters on both sides being thrown at. Honestly, if these two teams saw each other with any regularity I could see an all-out brawl taking place.

By the way, where has Fenway been to chime in on all this?

C-Dawg
05-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Quite frankly this could be the worst original thread post in the history of WSI, no offense to the OP.

In all seriousness, I suspect the OP is a Cub fan. This thread wouldn't be the first time Cub fans have started threads here - anyone remember the "devoted Tigers fan" who was posting here back in 2006?

asindc
05-23-2011, 08:23 AM
In all seriousness, I suspect the OP is a Cub fan. This thread wouldn't be the first time Cub fans have started threads here - anyone remember the "devoted Tigers fan" who was posting here back in 2006?

I've begun to wonder that myself, as I can barely imagine any self-respecting Sox fan starting a thread like this.

GoSox2K3
05-28-2011, 01:40 PM
The Cubs are now in 5th place, have a worse winning pct. than the Sox, and are only 1 game closer to 1st (7.5 vs. 8.5) than the Sox.

Are we still watching the Cubs more these days? :rolleyes:

TommyJohn
05-28-2011, 05:25 PM
The Cubs are now in 5th place, have a worse winning pct. than the Sox, and are only 1 game closer to 1st (7.5 vs. 8.5) than the Sox.

Are we still watching the Cubs more these days? :rolleyes:

I am appalled that you would say that! I am covered in shame! Shame, I tell you!

doublem23
05-30-2011, 01:50 PM
If you can stomach watching the Cubs, looks like today's game is going to be entertaining, both starters suck and the wind is blowing out today. Houston scored 2 in the 1st and the Cubs have come back with 3 in the bottom half.

DSpivack
05-30-2011, 02:09 PM
If you can stomach watching the Cubs, looks like today's game is going to be entertaining, both starters suck and the wind is blowing out today. Houston scored 2 in the 1st and the Cubs have come back with 3 in the bottom half.

Sister and her fiance took their son. I could've gone with, didn't feel like it.

kittle42
05-30-2011, 06:08 PM
I went to my third Cubs game today. I have also been to only 3 Sox games despite being a 1/6 share of a season ticket plan.

Marqhead
05-30-2011, 06:31 PM

I was there today, it was hot but we slipped into the shade after the 2nd and from then it was nice. What a comical game, just a whole lot of terribly played baseball but I enjoyed myself. I think I'm somewhere in the region of 1-9 in my last 10 trips to Wrigley.

doublem23
05-30-2011, 08:27 PM
I was there today, it was hot but we slipped into the shade after the 2nd and from then it was nice. What a comical game, just a whole lot of terribly played baseball but I enjoyed myself. I think I'm somewhere in the region of 1-9 in my last 10 trips to Wrigley.

Does that mean the Cubs are 1-9 or 9-1?

Yeah, I watched bits and pieces of that game in between cleaning and working around the apartment. Every time I sat down for a minute I saw terrible baseball. Yuck.

DSpivack
05-30-2011, 08:42 PM
As far as the thread title asked, I'm not watching much of the Cubs, but with MLB.tv, I find myself watching other teams. For some odd reason a lot more NL than AL, but I'll often put on a Braves, Marlins, Cardinals, or Giants game on, whether if I'm actually watching or in the background on the computer or tv.

Marqhead
05-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Does that mean the Cubs are 1-9 or 9-1?

Yeah, I watched bits and pieces of that game in between cleaning and working around the apartment. Every time I sat down for a minute I saw terrible baseball. Yuck.

That would mean the Cubs are 1-9 when I'm in attendance. I have a very good track record of watching them lose over the last decade, and I generally get to Wrigley 3 or 4 times a year.

The Immigrant
05-31-2011, 11:29 AM
I switch to the Cubs broadcast every now and then to remind myself that things could be much, much worse.

RadioheadRocks
05-31-2011, 10:20 PM
FWIW, tonight's game thread over at NorthsideBaseball.com was pretty much the useless stats guy talking to himself.

If that's any indication...

LongLiveFisk
05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
FWIW, tonight's game thread over at NorthsideBaseball.com was pretty much the useless stats guy talking to himself.

I check out that site every once in a great while and I usually find myself feeling sorry for that guy.

asindc
06-01-2011, 08:17 AM
I check out that site every once in a great while and I usually find myself feeling sorry for that guy.

I actually respect him because he is hanging in there with his team. I'm guessing he isn't posting a thread entitled, "Has it gotten to where you are watching the SOX more these days??"

SephClone89
06-01-2011, 08:44 AM
I switch to the Cubs broadcast every now and then to remind myself that things could be much, much worse.

At least the broadcast itself is a lot better.

RadioheadRocks
06-01-2011, 08:23 PM
I actually respect him because he is hanging in there with his team. I'm guessing he isn't posting a thread entitled, "Has it gotten to where you are watching the SOX more these days??"

If you've ever read his posts there regarding the White Sox, he always mentions "have I ever mentioned how much I really, really, really hate the White Sox???" Check out the 2005 post-season game threads over there, then watch any respect you have for that clown fly right out the window...

Oh, and notice how when he posts the league scoreboard, he capitalizes each city and team except the White Sox, which he leaves in all lower case??? :rolleyes:

russ99
06-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Fantastic sweep by the Astros.

Plus that Lyles kid who started yesterday looks really good.

DrCrawdad
06-02-2011, 06:13 AM
If you've ever read his posts there regarding the White Sox, he always mentions "have I ever mentioned how much I really, really, really hate the White Sox???" Check out the 2005 post-season game threads over there, then watch any respect you have for that clown fly right out the window...

Oh, and notice how when he posts the league scoreboard, he capitalizes each city and team except the White Sox, which he leaves in all lower case??? :rolleyes:

And then in the same breath, if he's like most other Sox-hating Cubbie fans, says that he doesn't care about the Sox...doesn't pay any attention to the Sox...

LongLiveFisk
06-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Well I guess he gets what he deserves then. Stick with your crappy team and stay miserable forever, buddy.

asindc
06-02-2011, 07:59 AM

Oh, I understand all that, but aside from his hypocritical hatred/faux dismissiveness of the Sox, at least he is not starting a thread like this one.:rolleyes:

doublem23
06-02-2011, 08:03 AM

I don't see what's not to respect, the guy's drawn his line in the sand, he's a Cub fan and he hates the Sox, that's the way it should be. The only people not worthy of respect are the clowns who "root for both teams," so they always have a back-up when the going gets rough.

Some of my best friends are diehard Cub fans who hate the Sox. We still get along, though, because it's just sports.

asindc
06-02-2011, 08:17 AM
I don't see what's not to respect, the guy's drawn his line in the sand, he's a Cub fan and he hates the Sox, that's the way it should be. The only people not worthy of respect are the clowns who "root for both teams," so they always have a back-up when the going gets rough.

Some of my best friends are diehard Cub fans who hate the Sox. We still get along, though, because it's just sports.

This. Whatever the guy's problem is with the Sox, he is still being a fan of his team and not asking other Cubs fans if they are watching the Sox.

Hitmen77
06-02-2011, 09:20 AM
And then in the same breath, if he's like most other Sox-hating Cubbie fans, says that he doesn't care about the Sox...doesn't pay any attention to the Sox...

As long as this Cubs fan people are talking about is being consistent: if he hates the Sox and expects Sox fans to naturally hate the Cubs, then that's fine. But you're right, there are so many people in Chicago who apply a huge double standard in the Sox-Cubs rivalry. It's only Sox fans who hate the Cubs, but Cubs fans don't care that much about the Sox. When the Cubs are in the playoffs, we should all get behind a Chicago team, but when the Sox are in the playoffs this no longer applies, etc.

But, back to the original topic of this thread: has is gotten to the point yet where Sox fans are watching the Cubs more these days? After all, the Cubs are a full 2 games out of last place (also 2 games ahead of the worst record in the N.L.).

kittle42
06-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Well I guess he gets what he deserves then. Stick with your crappy team and stay miserable forever, buddy.

Um, isn't that what *any* true fan of any team is supposed to do???

MARTINMVP
06-02-2011, 11:13 AM

The NorthSideBaseball message board is a rather weak message board. With the greater amount of Cub fans compared to Sox fans, their message board has very little baseball discussion (see their general MLB category). In their Cubs discussion group, the amount of Cubs baseball talk on a daily basis isn't even close to the amount of Sox discussion on this site, or any other Sox message board. Outside of NSB, there is no real Cubs equivalent to a WSI. NSB isn't even close to being an equivalent to WSI. There aren't enough true Cub fans who truly enjoy baseball to support an active WSI like site for the Cubs.

Even back in 2003, when I was still riding high on the Cubbie bandwagon, I always wondered why there was no WSI like website for the Cubs. I had to register here in order to participate in good baseball talk.

sullythered
06-02-2011, 03:17 PM
The NorthSideBaseball message board is a rather weak message board. With the greater amount of Cub fans compared to Sox fans, their message board has very little baseball discussion (see their general MLB category). In their Cubs discussion group, the amount of Cubs baseball talk on a daily basis isn't even close to the amount of Sox discussion on this site, or any other Sox message board. Outside of NSB, there is no real Cubs equivalent to a WSI. NSB isn't even close to being an equivalent to WSI. There aren't enough true Cub fans who truly enjoy baseball to support an active WSI like site for the Cubs.

Even back in 2003, when I was still riding high on the Cubbie bandwagon, I always wondered why there was no WSI like website for the Cubs. I had to register here in order to participate in good baseball talk.

In fairness, there aren't too many sports boards out there at all that are better than this one, IMO.

SOSH is probably the closest thing I've seen, even though I hate the Red Sox.

Sox
06-26-2011, 11:14 AM
I hope that my life never gets to that point where I watch(UGH) the flubs more than the Beloved White Sox!!!!!

Frontman
06-27-2011, 06:57 PM
"Welcome to Raw is Jericho! And all day everybody has been asking me the same question. Y2J, why did you watch the Cubs last night?

"Well my response was, have you ever been driving down the highway and you pull over and you see a big nasty piece of road kill on the side of the road? At first you try to ignore it but then your compelled to look at it. And maybe you nudge it with the toe of your shoe. And maybe you take a big branch and start to poke at it.

"Well last night I took it a step further,last night I sat and watched the nasty road kill. And believe me, it's something that I never, EVER, want do again!!!!"
http://www.wrestlingkingdom.com/jericho/jerichob.jpg

All apologies for the insinuation that Chris Jericho would ever.......EEEEEEEEEEEEVER watch the Chicago Cubs.....

LongLiveFisk
06-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Um, isn't that what *any* true fan of any team is supposed to do???

Yep.

Foulke You
06-28-2011, 12:22 AM
"Welcome to Raw is Jericho! And all day everybody has been asking me the same question. Y2J, why did you watch the Cubs last night?

"Well my response was, have you ever been driving down the highway and you pull over and you see a big nasty piece of road kill on the side of the road? At first you try to ignore it but then your compelled to look at it. And maybe you nudge it with the toe of your shoe. And maybe you take a big branch and start to poke at it.

"Well last night I took it a step further,last night I sat and watched the nasty road kill. And believe me, it's something that I never, EVER, want do again!!!!"
http://www.wrestlingkingdom.com/jericho/jerichob.jpg

All apologies for the insinuation that Chris Jericho would ever.......EEEEEEEEEEEEVER watch the Chicago Cubs.....

I approve of Jericho references on WSI. :cool:

Madscout
07-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I'm watching the cubs more...the cubs with their .415 win %...when my friend comes to town to watch the buccos clean their clocks.

Man, what was this guy thinking with this thread?

spawn
07-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I'm watching the cubs more...the cubs with their .415 win %...when my friend comes to town to watch the buccos clean their clocks.

Man, what was this guy thinking with this thread?
I don't think he was. There were plenty of snap judgment threads when the Sox were basically just going through the motions.

OldRomanPizza
07-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I watched the Cubs today. They lost.:D:

PalehosePlanet
07-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I watched the Cubs today. They lost.:D:

Hahaha......yeah, me too!

Honestly, I laugh every time I see this thread get bumped up again; has all the makings of an everlasting classic. I can see it now: 2015, Part VII, 3300 posts and still going strong.

sullythered
07-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Maybe I should watch more Cubs games. Today's was a blast!!!

GoSox2K3
07-02-2011, 08:31 AM
LOL. It looks like the Trib is still watching the Cubs more these days. If you look at tribune.com's main page right now, the Sox aren't even mentioned once.:rolleyes:

Sports stories:
- Wells' failure points to larger problem for Cubs
- GM Bowman adds grit to Hawks
- Big Z on DL Move....
- Sky drop third straight
- Ex-Cub Harden makes 1st start in 3 years.

That's it. The Sox didn't beat the Cubs yesterday. Nothing to see here. Move along! :rolling:

doublem23
07-02-2011, 08:54 AM
LOL. It looks like the Trib is still watching the Cubs more these days. If you look at tribune.com's main page right now, the Sox aren't even mentioned once.:rolleyes:

Sports stories:
- Wells' failure points to larger problem for Cubs
- GM Bowman adds grit to Hawks
- Big Z on DL Move....
- Sky drop third straight
- Ex-Cub Harden makes 1st start in 3 years.

That's it. The Sox didn't beat the Cubs yesterday. Nothing to see here. Move along! :rolling:

The Sox are still a game under .500 and have been pretty drama-free for the last few weeks, but they're still just kind of spinning their wheels.

The Cubs are an unmitigated disaster right now. With those kind of headlines, I'm not jealous that they're getting the attention.