PDA

View Full Version : Frank Pops Off After Loss

Viva Magglio
07-07-2002, 08:41 PM
Since I did not see any direct reference to this in the other Frank thread, I am starting a new one here about his postgame comments of today. For many, this might have been the final straw.

From ESPN.com: White Sox DH upset with benching (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0707/1402935.html)

Time for Frank to go.

RedPinStripes
07-07-2002, 08:52 PM
"I'm not a cheerleader"

What a dick! Thomas might be just as much as a cancer as Choice.

:hurt
I'm the big hurt! hey can't bench me! I do what i want!

:hitless
"Don't worry frank. Together we can separate this whole team from us since we're superstars. Real players worry about personal stats. Someday they'll see. My swelled head will pay off."

Randar68
07-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Since I did not see any direct reference to this in the other Frank thread, I am starting a new one here about his postgame comments of today. For many, this might have been the final straw.

From ESPN.com: White Sox DH upset with benching (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0707/1402935.html)

Time for Frank to go.

Am I not happy with his comments? To some extent, but we didn't hear the whole conversation. On top of that, there's not a whole lot in there I don't agree with. It is a big deal to alienate yourself from your teammates, however.

BUT, it's an even bigger deal to not have any sort of communication between the manager and the team's most important hitter.

Jerry Manual has absolutely NO control over this team and he is as lost out there in his decision making as he is in how to approach his players with lineup changes.

The short of this whole thing: It's time for Manual to hit the road. He's worthless. Every pitching change blows up in his face and he's afraid of his players. Can anyone describe to me a worse candidate for a manager?

oldcomiskey
07-07-2002, 09:13 PM
yes--terry bevington

Iguana775
07-07-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Am I not happy with his comments? To some extent, but we didn't hear the whole conversation. On top of that, there's not a whole lot in there I don't agree with. It is a big deal to alienate yourself from your teammates, however.

BUT, it's an even bigger deal to not have any sort of communication between the manager and the team's most important hitter.

Jerry Manual has absolutely NO control over this team and he is as lost out there in his decision making as he is in how to approach his players with lineup changes.

The short of this whole thing: It's time for Manual to hit the road. He's worthless. Every pitching change blows up in his face and he's afraid of his players. Can anyone describe to me a worse candidate for a manager?

i agree 100% randar. if he cannot communicate with his players, he doesnt deserve to be the coach.

duke of dorwood
07-07-2002, 09:20 PM
Right-Manual has gone back on enough of his "changes" to have little credibility with the team. Nothing he says stands. And it wont help if he makes an example of Frank. Its too late. The team is in disarray. Just look at the bullpen. Look at the bad baserunning.

oldcomiskey
07-07-2002, 09:22 PM
I read the article--why does Hurt have to go? all this frank bashing is BS------like Hawk said today--when he starts hitting the very folks who down him will be singing his praises later

raul12
07-07-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Right-Manual has gone back on enough of his "changes" to have little credibility with the team. Nothing he says stands. And it wont help if he makes an example of Frank. Its too late. The team is in disarray. Just look at the bullpen. Look at the bad baserunning.

''Frank's a superstar, a guy who has great stature, not only on the team but in the city,'' Manuel said. ''I'm just trying to put out there what I think is the best team right now. And right now he's not today what I would think would be our best chance to win. It's that simple.''

if he's trying to put the best team on the field--he's got to be smokin' some serious stuff. clayton, ritchie.....

CLR01
07-07-2002, 10:02 PM
Hey it worked the media successfully created a story.

baggio202
07-07-2002, 10:07 PM
i found manuel's comments very interesting....maybe im reading too much into them but it seems to me that jerry and maybe gary ward wanted frank to try something new and frank said no so he got benched...the part about frank not being too old to learn about hitting and he might not be in the startig line up after the break...to me thats sounds like a message is being sent to frank...like we tried it your way frank and it aint working..we asked you to try what gary wanted and you wouldnt so now you sit...when you are willing to work with us we will get you back in the line up..again i could be wrong but thats the feeling i got when reading jerry's comments..

RedPinStripes
07-07-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
i found manuel's comments very interesting....maybe im reading too much into them but it seems to me that jerry and maybe gary ward wanted frank to try something new and frank said no so he got benched...the part about frank not being too old to learn about hitting and he might not be in the startig line up after the break...to me thats sounds like a message is being sent to frank...like we tried it your way frank and it aint working..we asked you to try what gary wanted and you wouldnt so now you sit...when you are willing to work with us we will get you back in the line up..again i could be wrong but thats the feeling i got when reading jerry's comments..

Frank won't sit for long, and won't be out of the 3 hole for long. People bitch about something , and Jerry gives them what they want. And you can't believe a damn word that sissy Manuel says. He's friggin high half the time anyway. :D:

whitesoxwilkes
07-07-2002, 10:23 PM
Just remember this...the last person who dared criticize the almighty Hurt in the clubhouse was David Wells, and look what that got him...quick ticket out of town. Same thing better not happen to Pauly!

kermittheefrog
07-07-2002, 10:41 PM
Is it just me or is it the manager's job to talk to the player when something is wrong not the other way around? "My door is open" is BS, Manuel's job as manager is to be proactive about crap like this and make effort to fix things and communicate with his players.

Fire the whole damn front office!

Lip Man 1
07-07-2002, 10:45 PM
I don't mean to be ugly but this quote kind of bothered me:

"I read the article--why does Hurt have to go? all this Frank bashing is BS------like Hawk said today--when he starts hitting the very folks who down him will be singing his praises later"

If Thomas starts hitting but the team is already ten games back and ten games under .500 what good will that do?

He needs to be hitting now...not in September. And the fact is if he doesn't pull out, this will be what, his third bad season plus an injured year out of the last five?

To me that's a real indication of an athlete who'se skills are badly deteriorating.

Thomas will always be one of the greatest Sox players ever, but what you did eight years ago means nothing today.

Lip

idseer
07-07-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Just remember this...the last person who dared criticize the almighty Hurt in the clubhouse was David Wells, and look what that got him...quick ticket out of town. Same thing better not happen to Pauly!

??? you must be thinking about some alternate universe ... cause that's not what happened at ALL!

voodoochile
07-07-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

This may be the dumbest analogy I've ever read on this board...

Boomer got a quick ticket out of town because he bad mouthed Frank? Really? Silly me, here I thought his fat ass got injured and the Sox weren't willing to guarantee another $9 million to him not knowing if he would be worth it- something everyone agreed with. Now I find out that it was because he ripped on Frank...

The lengths people will go to bad mouth a player they are mad at just cracks me up...

whitesoxwilkes
07-07-2002, 11:45 PM
1) Think some of you may have missed my point, or maybe I just phrased it wrong earlierThere was a LOT of talk about how Boomer wrecked clubhouse chemistry with his questioning of Thomas' heart, guts, etc. prior to this happening, I though Wells had always been regarded as somewhat of a clubhouse leader. But after this, al of a sudden he becomes reviled as a clubhouse cancer, blows his back about and ends up on the first bus out of town. Now Pauly is viewed by many as a leader, and I don't want to see him end up with the same fate because he talked smack about the High Holy Hurt.

2)I wasn;t badmouthing Frank, although he is frustrating the snot out of me every time he gets up to the dish and flails away.