PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo's Mailbag

Lip Man 1
05-04-2011, 11:31 PM
With all the threads going on about firing (insert name) I thought it would be worth reading Gonzo's mailbag tonight.

In it he said that if the Sox have a bad West Coast trip he expects changes in two weeks (first time I've seen any of the print media say something like this. I wonder if he knows something or has heard something?) and not the players. He names possible replacements for Kenny and Ozzie, talks about the lack of fundamentals and gets into the spring training issues. A lot of good stuff here.

He also gives his opinion that if you are going to get rid of a coach or manager you get rid of EVERYONE, clean house with the staff. (Interesting concept...)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-110504-mark-gonzales-white-sox-mailbag,0,6445580.story

Lip

Nelfox02
05-04-2011, 11:37 PM
With all the threads going on about firing (insert name) I thought it would be worth reading Gonzo's mailbag tonight.

In it he said that if the Sox have a bad West Coast trip he expects changes in two weeks (first time I've seen any of the print media say something like this. I wonder if he knows something or has heard something?) and not the players. He names possible replacements for Kenny and Ozzie, talks about the lack of fundamentals and gets into the spring training issues. A lot of good stuff here.

He also gives his opinion that if you are going to get rid of a coach or manager you get rid of EVERYONE, clean house with the staff. (Interesting concept...)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-110504-mark-gonzales-white-sox-mailbag,0,6445580.story

Lip

If they have a bad west trip? that is like saying---"if the sun rises tomorrow" or "if water is wet"

I would worry about a west coast trip when the sox were going good.....now? yikes.

Brian26
05-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Fregosi is an interesting thought.

Noneck
05-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Fregosi is an interesting thought.

I thought so also, a move similar to the Marlins bringing in McKeon but the difference is the Marlins were a young club. Also the Marlins went from a responsible manager to another responsible manager. I doubt Fregosi could turn this club around this year. It would be very difficult to assemble a coaching staff and keeping the current staff would not be fair to him.

If we are talking about next year, having a 70 year guy starting a rebuilding project is not something that I can remember being done successfully.

The Immigrant
05-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Kudos to Gonzo for letting the fans vent.

A. Cavatica
05-05-2011, 12:06 AM
We like ex-Indians. What's Mike Hargrove up to?

soltrain21
05-05-2011, 12:13 AM
I'd like to see Dave Martinez looked at.

Marqhead
05-05-2011, 12:38 AM
I really agree with the getting rid of everyone idea. If you're going to bring in new people to the major positions, you should let them fill in the spots around them with their people. It'll be tough to see some of these guys go after what they've done for the organization, but it's clearly not working anymore and it's time to move on.

It'll be interesting to hear the names rumored over the coming weeks if the Sox are indeed moving in that direction.

HaroMaster87
05-05-2011, 01:19 AM
I'd like to see Dave Martinez looked at.

and his beard...

by crackie!!

kufram
05-05-2011, 05:55 AM
I've thought all along that if you fire somebody you have to fire everybody, except Hermie. That's why it is a move that needs very careful consideration even in the position we a re in.

I like the idea of keeping Coop, but any manager worth bringing in will probably have a guy he wants, along with a bench coach, etc.

salty99
05-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Instead of a guy "like" Jack McKeon...just bring in Jack McKeon himself! Jack will fix em!!!

Jim Shorts
05-05-2011, 11:10 AM
While Fregosi is interesting, he is really pretty old to inherit a rebuilding project. What about Brenley from the Cubs TV Booth.

Promote Rick Hahn or give the keys to Steve Stone.

Brewski
05-05-2011, 03:48 PM
While Fregosi is interesting, he is really pretty old to inherit a rebuilding project. What about Brenley from the Cubs TV Booth.

Promote Rick Hahn or give the keys to Steve Stone.

Fregosi left the Sox in the first place because he didn't want to be part of a rebuilding project. Unless I'm losing it, that's history.

Stoney, Hahn? I like those names. Still don't think it's going to happen during the season.

Jim Shorts
05-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Fregosi left the Sox in the first place because he didn't want to be part of a rebuilding project. Unless I'm losing it, that's history.

Stoney, Hahn? I like those names. Still don't think it's going to happen during the season.

Yeah, I know.

Irishsox1
05-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Firing the GM and coach at the same time would be very, very difficult.

I'm in favor of getting a new GM in and letting that person decide Ozzie's fate at the end of the season. I know people will think "why wait, Ozzie's lost it". It has more to do with some semblance of structure while two main cogs get switched out. But if someone said to me right now, Ozzie, Kenny, Walker or all, I'd say:

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae231/rocknrolla2/AxeKenny.jpg

Rocky Soprano
05-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Firing the GM and coach at the same time would be very, very difficult.

I'm in favor of getting a new GM in and letting that person decide Ozzie's fate at the end of the season. I know people will think "why wait, Ozzie's lost it". It has more to do with some semblance of structure while two main cogs get switched out. But if someone said to me right now, Ozzie, Kenny, Walker or all, I'd say:

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae231/rocknrolla2/AxeKenny.jpg

I fail to see how firing the GM during the season could provide a spark to the team. If you want to send a message and possibly give the team a spark you fire the manager.

Daver
05-05-2011, 05:10 PM
I fail to see how firing the GM during the season could provide a spark to the team. If you want to send a message and possibly give the team a spark you fire the manager.

They should fire Southpaw.

Medford Bobby
05-05-2011, 05:57 PM
http://www.tvacres.com/images/rules_soupnazi.jpg

NO CHURRO'S FOR YOU!!

Viva Medias B's
05-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Now taht I think of it, it would be hard to fire KW at this juncture considering the fact that the June draft is coming up. Firing him would screw that up; sometime after that is when KW would be let go if that were to come to pass.

soltrain21
05-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Now taht I think of it, it would be hard to fire KW at this juncture considering the fact that the June draft is coming up. Firing him would screw that up; sometime after that is when KW would be let go if that were to come to pass.

You act as if we have success in the draft. It really wouldn't screw up anything.

SOXSINCE'70
05-05-2011, 10:16 PM

That's a move that should have happened long ago.

StillMissOzzie
05-06-2011, 09:45 PM

Now THAT will light a fire under their collective arses!

SMO
:gulp: