PDA

View Full Version : Off-Speed and Up

voodoochile
05-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Just noticed the last two games really, but then it hit me I've been seeing it all season. Looks like the higher strike is being called more than it was last year and pitchers have been taking advantage of it.

This seems to be the attack method of choice for pitchers facing the Sox this year, throw it upstairs and off speed.

The Sox like the ball down more than they do up (AJ Rios, Dunn, TCQ and TCM in particurlar) and they do struggle against off speed pitching (as any team will if it's good stuff).

The only guys on the team who really go after the upstairs stuff are PK and Beckham and to some extent Pierre, but it's not a regular thing anyway.

Just curious what others have noticed and if they agree. If so the Sox are going to have to take a hard look at the way they approach hitting because if they cannot adjust it's going to be a long season.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2011, 08:51 PM
The Sox have had a tough time adjusting to a lot since July 2006...rookie pitchers, mediocre pitchers, pitchers they've never seen before, junkballing pitchers, pitchers they have to face in the cold etc.

Not trying to belittle you're point but there has been a serious issue with this club for a long time. Maybe it's Walker, maybe the guys the Sox get are all mental midgets who fold under the slightest pressure, maybe they are all passive, maybe it's Ozzie.

I don't know anymore. I just wish someone in that clubhouse would scream, "just hit the ****ing ball..."

Lip

SI1020
05-04-2011, 09:45 PM
I've always thought of the Sox as a dead red fastball hitting team the last five years or so. Junk throwers and guys that can mix in a decent change seem to give them trouble. If in fact a higher strike zone is in play now, I guess they're going to be hacking away all the more at this expanding strike zone. This team doesn't seem to make any real adjustments at the plate. It's feast or famine with them, and right now they're starving. In any case thanks to Voodoo, I will be watching to see if more high strikes are called. You know before Commissioner Selig essentially merged the two leagues, the AL was known as the high strike league. In recent times I wondered if a HOF pitcher like Jim Palmer could survive today.

voodoochile
05-04-2011, 10:41 PM
I've always thought of the Sox as a dead red fastball hitting team the last five years or so. Junk throwers and guys that can mix in a decent change seem to give them trouble. If in fact a higher strike zone is in play now, I guess they're going to be hacking away all the more at this expanding strike zone. This team doesn't seem to make any real adjustments at the plate. It's feast or famine with them, and right now they're starving. In any case thanks to Voodoo, I will be watching to see if more high strikes are called. You know before Commissioner Selig essentially merged the two leagues, the AL was known as the high strike league. In recent times I wondered if a HOF pitcher like Jim Palmer could survive today.

Well I thought last year the strike zone was noticeably lower and wider again. This year I've seen more high strikes being called and the last two game really hammered the point home. I agree the Sox do tend to look for fastballs, but they also have a number of guys who prefer the ball down and only a few who can do the hold tomahawk swing regularly and effectively.