PDA

View Full Version : Thomas


ScottyTheSoxFan
07-07-2002, 06:29 PM
i dont feel it is any longer a question of whether or not he can hit, i think it is a question of if we still need him or not. he is not the presence he used to be, and dealing him while with his contract could be hard to pull off, or opting out of his deal would also open a spot for Clee, liefer ,crede or whoever to play. frank's whining and showing up late today do not help his cause either. i for one say we get rid of him if we can and let the dh be a platoon with leifer, lee, valentin switching thru with the occasional rest for maggs, konerko. what do you think?

Pete Ward
07-07-2002, 06:46 PM
Let him GO (like anyone would take him)

DH Valentin and Bring up CREDE!

danman31
07-07-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Pete Ward
Let him GO (like anyone would take him)

DH Valentin and Bring up CREDE! That sounds much worse than Thomas batting .245. Face it, regardless of how well Crede does in the minors and how long he stays there it will take time for him to adjust to the big leagues. He isn't the savior or anything. Nobody recently has said to get rid of Clayton, it's all Thomas Thomas Thomas.

RedPinStripes
07-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Pete Ward
Let him GO (like anyone would take him)

DH Valentin and Bring up CREDE!

This team can do without Valentine in the long run. I don't think he's DH material . I'd take Lee or Liefer as a DH first.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-07-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes


This team can do without Valentine in the long run. I don't think he's DH material . I'd take Lee or Liefer as a DH first.

If the power is coming from other positions, a DH dosen't necessarily have to be a power hitter. I wouldn't want Valentin the fulltime DH but his bat is more important than his defense is and it would put Crede in the lineup. Crede is better defensively at third, so Jose can play short (yeah right) and Lee/Liefer can DH also.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Here's the easier solution: Fire Manuel.

I guess it's just a coincidence Frank's hitting went downhill after Gandhi showed up with his mind games in '98? Even the '00 spring blow-up was only forgotten after Frank completed the shuttle run the last day of camp.

:jerry
"It's 100-times easier to replace a mediocre manager like me who can't communicate with the franchise's top hitter in history, than replace a former two-time MVP who started falling off after I showed up."

You guys venting your spleen over Thomas really need to take a deep breath and check the history he's had with Manuel the past four years. Manuel has been an abject failure working with the team's biggest star.

Even BEVINGTON did a better job with Frank than Manuel. If that's not an indictment, I don't know what is.

:jerry
"I suck."

Daver
07-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Here's the easier solution: Fire Manuel.

I guess it's just a coincidence Frank's hitting went downhill after Gandhi showed up with his mind games in '98? Even the '00 spring blow-up was only forgotten after Frank completed the shuttle run the last day of camp.

:jerry
"It's 100-times easier to replace a mediocre manager like me who can't communicate with the franchise's top hitter in history, than replace a former two-time MVP who started falling off after I showed up."

You guys venting your spleen over Thomas really need to take a deep breath and check the history he's had with Manuel the past four years. Manuel has been an abject failure working with the team's biggest star.

Even BEVINGTON did a better job with Frank than Manuel. If that's not an indictment, I don't know what is.

:jerry
"I suck."


Blaming the manager for an indidvual player not playing up to par is a stretch,blaming the manger for the team not performing is one thing,but one player is a stretch.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-07-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by daver
Blaming the manager for an indidvual player not playing up to par is a stretch,blaming the manger for the team not performing is one thing,but one player is a stretch.

Four years in a row, including 2000 and the infamous shuttle run debacle?

Personally, I don't believe the Sox sucking is to be blamed on either Manuel's lousy managing or Frank's diminished skills. However, niether of them are clean. It's simply easier to dump a mediocre manager than a (former) star ballplayer.

:reinsy
"Especially if the star ballplayer is still owed lots of money by me."