PDA

View Full Version : Should Greg Walker Be Fired?

Hitmen77
05-04-2011, 08:39 AM
EDIT: Sorry mods, I failed to make this a "poll" thread. Please close, merge or delete. :tiphat:

Hitmen77
05-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Yes or No.

This offense has no pulse. This isn't the first season this has been a problem. Is Walker still blameless?

LITTLE NELL
05-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Yes, along with the rest of the coaches and of course OG.

Viva Medias B's
05-04-2011, 08:44 AM
I'd probably vote in the affirmative.

doublem23
05-04-2011, 08:47 AM
No of course not, remember how hot the Sox were at the start of the season? Walk should be given a lifetime deal just to stick it to all of us who have been complaining about him the last few years.

:bandance:

miker
05-04-2011, 08:48 AM
I always liked "Walk", but the current product is unacceptable.

Who would replace him? Harold? Someone from the minors?

TheOldRoman
05-04-2011, 08:50 AM
http://www.weirdwildrealm.com/filmimages/firewalker-box.jpg

slavko
05-04-2011, 08:51 AM
We need some contact hitting, that's for sure. It ought to start at the lowest minor league level where we develop our players. We don't develop our players at the minor league level, you say? Then that might be the source of the problem, not Greg Walker.

Procol Harum
05-04-2011, 08:55 AM
There needs to be a general housecleaning, I fear. I was on the fence about this before the season started but another round of flailing, stone bats has decided the issue. This might not all be Walker's fault (mediocre players, poor minor league coaching, etc., etc), but unless these guys would be hitting .150 without him, he sure doesn't seem to be helping the situation...

SI1020
05-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Players come and go but the results remain the same. It's really unbelievable, the complete lack of discipline at the plate. Everyone tight as a drum, trying to crush the ball out of the park. All of the young supposedly up and coming stars with a serious loop or hitch in their swings. Getting humbled night after night by AAA level pitching. Others here have said it better. Walker needed to be fired a long time ago.

dwitt76
05-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Looks like Greg Walker voted on this poll LOL

WhiteSox5187
05-04-2011, 09:06 AM
In my opinion he should be fired at the end of the week. Not now.

TheOldRoman
05-04-2011, 09:12 AM
We need some contact hitting, that's for sure. It ought to start at the lowest minor league level where we develop our players. We don't develop our players at the minor league level, you say? Then that might be the source of the problem, not Greg Walker.We have contact hitters. Past criticisms have been: the team is nothing but slow sluggers, the team is too old, doesn't have any athleticism, no contact hitters, strikes out too much. Those aren't the case. The teams has been reconstructed drastically, yet the performance remains.

sox1970
05-04-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't think Walker should be fired because he's a bad hitting coach. He, or somebody else, should be fired to send a message to the players, who have been bad.

I have no idea why this team has been this bad, but it's Kenny's team, and Kenny's payroll. He's got to pay for this mess more than anyone. If that happens at the end of the season, fine. But he's got to go more than anyone when this season is over without a playoff appearance.

kittle42
05-04-2011, 09:35 AM
"We find it's always better to fire people on a Friday."

cws05champ
05-04-2011, 09:36 AM
In my opinion he should be fired at the end of the week. Not now.

We like to fire people on Fridays...studies show that less incident occur if you fire people on Friday.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Aimm0Lb2vx4/S3u76A6AstI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/6jKmNUurve0/s320/Office+Space+Bob.jpg

Bucky F. Dent
05-04-2011, 09:37 AM
What's Robin Ventura up to these days? He was always a fundamentally sound hitter IMO. Perhaps he could straighten these clowns out.

VenturaFan23
05-04-2011, 09:38 AM
"We find it's always better to fire people on a Friday."

"This is kind of strange. Apparently Greg Walker was let go 5 years ago, but no one ever told him so somehow he still collects a paycheck."

Fix the "glich" Sox.

miker
05-04-2011, 10:14 AM
"This is kind of strange. Apparently Greg Walker was let go 5 years ago, but no one ever told him so somehow he still collects a paycheck."

Fix the "glich" Sox.

Actually, if we follow the "Office Space" paradigm, won't he get a promotion?

Marqhead
05-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I'll say no, I like the consistency he brings to this team.

dickallen15
05-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Why no should Don Cooper be fired? As of a couple days ago, the White Sox offense ranked higher than White Sox pitching THIS SEASON. White Sox pitchers had allowed more runs than any other AL team.

Harry Chappas
05-04-2011, 10:22 AM
We need some contact hitting, that's for sure. It ought to start at the lowest minor league level where we develop our players. We don't develop our players at the minor league level, you say? Then that might be the source of the problem, not Greg Walker.

Only a few of the Sox regulars spent any appreciable time in the Sox farm system - GB and Morel, so it's hard to blame their ineptitude on player development in the minor leagues.

This falls squarely on the players and Walker. Walker needs to go if for no other reason than to shake things up.

Hitmen77
05-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Why no should Don Cooper be fired? As of a couple days ago, the White Sox offense ranked higher than White Sox pitching THIS SEASON. White Sox pitchers had allowed more runs than any other AL team.

Are you unable to start your own poll/thread on WSI? :dunno:

DSpivack
05-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Actually, if we follow the "Office Space" paradigm, won't he get a promotion?

Greg Walker for manager! :bandance:

VMSNS
05-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Walker should have been canned after the 2009 season. He actually stated in an interview after that season that he was surprised that the Sox retained him after how poorly they hit.

Realistically, regardless of if the Sox win tonight, Walker should be fired on the off-day on Thursday. If we continue to play this poorly through May, then Ozzie should be shown the door at the end of May, as well.

tstrike2000
05-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Please give him his walking papers....please.

Scottiehaswheels
05-04-2011, 10:52 AM
I've been on board with this for years.

samurai_sox
05-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I think Greg Walker needs to go just for the sake of change, show the players and coaches that there will be consequences if we don't turn this thing around.

I've personally wanted Walker gone since that horrible '07 season, but of course we were 2 years removed from winning the World Series so nobody was held accountable.

Oops, oh yeah I forgot we fired Razor Shines after '07. What a big shakeup that was!

Scottiehaswheels
05-04-2011, 11:09 AM
I seem to remember a quote of Walker's from a couple of years ago that was basically something to the effect of the players aren't executing the game plan drawn up before the game. If the players aren't following your advice, why keep him around. Anyone else remember the exact quote?

dickallen15
05-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Wouldn't the saber guys agree that the White Sox .000 BA for balls in play last night was unlucky rather than unprepared or talented?

khan
05-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Greg Walker isn't the one striking out and taking bad approaches at the plate. Greg Walker didn't acquire the players. Greg Walker isn't the one not paying attention to the scouting reports. We've never seen these great pitchers before.

No one said anything about Greg Walker in 2005.

2005, BABY!!!!

2005!!!!!

kobo
05-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Greg Walker isn't the one striking out and taking bad approaches at the plate. Greg Walker didn't acquire the players. Greg Walker isn't the one not paying attention to the scouting reports. We've never seen these great pitchers before.

No one said anything about Greg Walker in 2005.

2005, BABY!!!!

2005!!!!!
How many more times are you going to post the same ****ing thing? It's old, annoying, and trollish.

Gavin
05-04-2011, 01:28 PM
I said "No" only because I'd rather see what happens when Ozzie is fired first.

khan
05-04-2011, 01:39 PM
How many more times are you going to post the same ****ing thing? It's old, annoying, and trollish.
1. Do I need teal?

2. Do you really think a thread such as this will go by without someone writing the exact same post?

ShooterMcGavin
05-04-2011, 02:42 PM

I agree the Sox need better minor league development and hitting philosophy, ala the Twins organization. That said, Walker still needs to go.

guillensdisciple
05-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Rongey created 8 separate accounts and voted no.

Walker sucks ass.

doublem23
05-04-2011, 03:09 PM

Walker sucks ass.

It's actually possible for people to have conflicting views other than your own.

dickallen15
05-04-2011, 04:02 PM
It's actually possible for people to have conflicting views other than your own.
Exactly. I voted no. If there actually were a few guys that went on to become great hitters after leaving Walker, I would vote yes, but in almost 8 years it hasn't happened. The only one with more success was Nick Swisher and he didn't work with Walker. His father is his hitting coach.

kittle42
05-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Exactly. I voted no. If there actually were a few guys that went on to become great hitters after leaving Walker, I would vote yes, but in almost 8 years it hasn't happened.

Probably because he ended their careers.

Soxfest
05-04-2011, 04:15 PM
1000% Yes:angry:

VenturaFan23
05-04-2011, 04:16 PM

Walker sucks ass.

That's gold, Jerry. Gold!

soltrain21
05-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Probably because he ended their careers.

That's what I was thinking. He sure as **** hasn't developed any hitters.

JB98
05-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Exactly. I voted no. If there actually were a few guys that went on to become great hitters after leaving Walker, I would vote yes, but in almost 8 years it hasn't happened. The only one with more success was Nick Swisher and he didn't work with Walker. His father is his hitting coach.

Here's my question for you as a Walker supporter: At what point will enough be enough? Just wondering what that threshold would be. What would it take for you to call for Walker's head?

guillensdisciple
05-04-2011, 04:40 PM

I know I know, that was intended with full sarcasm.

Tragg
05-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Perhaps but only after Williams and Guillen.

MrT27
05-04-2011, 06:42 PM
No just because he isn't making veteran hitters like Rios and Dunn hit bad. Maybe after the season but what is a new hitting coach going to do now? They aren't going to break down someones swing and "start over" mid season.

GoSox2K3
06-26-2011, 06:01 PM
It's now June 26 and about the mid-point of the baseball season. How much more time is it going to take for the Sox offense to turn things around?:waiting:

Walker's grade so far::fail:

Falstaff
06-26-2011, 08:23 PM
I always liked "Walk", but the current product is unacceptable.

Who would replace him? Harold? Someone from the minors?
What would it take to recruit Frank Thomas as hitting coach?
Think about it: A long productive HOF calibre career hitter, Frank hit for power, hit for average, RISP, RBI, and holds all-time white sox doubles record (let alone the HR record!). This is an elite hitter who was not too proud to seek advice from his hitting coach: the results speak loudly (and carry a big stick!). This is our "all time greatest" player who bleeds white sox black but due to injury did not get into the 05 World Series. I imagine being back "on the team" as hitting coach would be an inspiring opportunity for Frank, and his gravitas and know-how far exceed anything Greg Walker can bring to the plate. This current practice of having a mediocre former player as hitting couch is obviously not putting runs on the board. If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Zisk77
06-26-2011, 08:29 PM
What's Robin Ventura up to these days? He was always a fundamentally sound hitter IMO. Perhaps he could straighten these clowns out.

Actually Robin hit with a "barred arm". Despite that he was agood hitter. However it might be the reason he never could quite bat .300.

I almost want Walker fired just so I don't have to see another Fire Walker thread.:angry:

Daver
06-26-2011, 08:30 PM
What would it take to recruit Frank Thomas as hitting coach?
Think about it: A long productive HOF calibre career hitter, Frank hit for power, hit for average, RISP, RBI, and holds all-time white sox doubles record (let alone the HR record!). This is an elite hitter who was not too proud to seek advice from his hitting coach: the results speak loudly (and carry a big stick!). This is our "all time greatest" player who bleeds white sox black but due to injury did not get into the 05 World Series. I imagine being back "on the team" as hitting coach would be an inspiring opportunity for Frank, and his gravitas and know-how far exceed anything Greg Walker can bring to the plate. This current practice of having a mediocre former player as hitting couch is obviously not putting runs on the board. If nothing changes, nothing changes.

There is exactly one hitter on the roster that has the discipline to learn anything from Frank, and he doesn't need any help.

HaroMaster87
06-26-2011, 08:50 PM
There is exactly one hitter on the roster that has the discipline to learn anything from Frank, and he doesn't need any help.

Bingo! The problem is this team is full of veteran "know it alls"...

If they need help with something, they go to walker and he helps them...

If they dont ask for help, he leaves them alone...thats the way it works...

So if someone...like dunn, is struggling and doesnt ask walker for help...thats on the player, NOT the coach. Firing him will do NOTHING but piss off your best hitter..

soxfanreggie
06-26-2011, 10:52 PM
While our votes mean nothing/very little (beyond if thousands of people stopped showing up to the games everyday and tied it directly to Walker), 130 yes's vs 10 no's...that is a landslide!

Falstaff
06-27-2011, 01:49 AM
Bingo! The problem is this team is full of veteran "know it alls"...

If they need help with something, they go to walker and he helps them...

If they dont ask for help, he leaves them alone...thats the way it works...

So if someone...like dunn, is struggling and doesnt ask walker for help...thats on the player, NOT the coach. Firing him will do NOTHING but piss off your best hitter..

Greg: (may as well speak directly to you) The current results speak for themselves. White Sox have poor RISP, poor run production, poor plate discipline, and routinely get embarrassed by AAAA level pitchers. "that's the way it works" is not working to win winnable games.

Seems to me even Adam Dunn might just have a smidgen of curiosity about what a student of hitting (with elite career stats) like Frank Thomas may have to offer. If not, oh well, keep striking out.

At any rate, seems the White Sox have a toxic organization if only one player is remotely coachable. Where does that attitude originate? Is it common to all teams, (ie the Twins too?) ....

sullythered
06-27-2011, 01:52 AM
I want Greg Walker fired for no other reason than it will bring an end to the threads debating whether or not Greg Walker should be fired.

JB98
06-27-2011, 01:54 AM
I want Greg Walker fired for no other reason than it will bring an end to the threads debating whether or not Greg Walker should be fired.

The other possible solution is to have the offense start executing at acceptable levels. That would actually preferable, but don't hold your breath.

PeteWard
06-27-2011, 05:04 AM
While our votes mean nothing/very little (beyond if thousands of people stopped showing up to the games everyday and tied it directly to Walker), 130 yes's vs 10 no's...that is a landslide!

Reminds me of a Bulgarian election circa 1965.

dickallen15
06-27-2011, 07:28 AM
The Rangers fired Thad Bosley when they were among the top offensive teams this season. Their offense has not improved.

The Marlins fired their hitting coach June 8th. They have scored 2 or fewer runs in 11 games since.

The Indians fired their hitting coach and just scored 4 runs in 3 games in SF.

The Cubs went through a couple of hitting coaches, gave Rudy Jaramillo a ton of money and what was the payoff?

The bottom line is their is no quick fix. The only player I know of the past 8 years or so who went on to much bigger and better things offensively after leaving the White Sox was Nick Swisher, and one reason the Sox dumped him is because he wouldn't work with Walker.

There's no question hitting coaches matter, but what matters even more is personnel.

Sox
06-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Surely, the White Sox organization cannot be that blind to not notice that there is a glaring problem. The proverbial sore thumb or neon sign. This offensive output is horrible. Whether its Greg Walkers fault, or Ozzie's fault, or Kenny's fault, something needs to be done to fix this problem; and that's not going to happen this season or any season; as long as this organization doesn't give a tinkers damn about winning division titles; much less WS titles. For us as Sox fans, venting is all we can do at this point. What do we know anyway? We as Sox fans are the ones paying the big bucks for the "premium priced" tickets to see an offensively horrible product put on the field.

TomBradley72
06-27-2011, 09:11 AM
The Rangers fired Thad Bosley when they were among the top offensive teams this season. Their offense has not improved.

The Marlins fired their hitting coach June 8th. They have scored 2 or fewer runs in 11 games since.

The Indians fired their hitting coach and just scored 4 runs in 3 games in SF.

The Cubs went through a couple of hitting coaches, gave Rudy Jaramillo a ton of money and what was the payoff?

The bottom line is their is no quick fix. The only player I know of the past 8 years or so who went on to much bigger and better things offensively after leaving the White Sox was Nick Swisher, and one reason the Sox dumped him is because he wouldn't work with Walker.

There's no question hitting coaches matter, but what matters even more is personnel.

+1

If Greg Walker being fired means we can fire up a "Juan Pierre Appreciation Thread" with Dayan Viciedo called up, and somehow helps Adam Dunn hit better than NL pitchers- I'm all for it.

You can bring in all hitting coaches you can think of- but with the current roster make up- nothing will really change.

On top of that- assuming it takes a few weeks for the new guys to assess the hitters, etc- any new "ideas" will be implmented in late July/early August- too late to really make a difference.

Dibbs
06-27-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm thinking Greg Walker was actually fired years ago. However, there was an error through payroll where he kept receiving checks. He has been showing up to work ever since. I say we fix the "glitch", and the matter will take care of itself.

tstrike2000
06-27-2011, 11:14 AM
I thought Walker was still here because he works hard with hitters on bunting early on game days.

BainesHOF
06-27-2011, 09:43 PM
I can't believe Beckham is still using a swing that gives him virtually no chance to hit consistently. It's easy to see, so why is he still continuing to use it for so long?

I also think our hitters are nuts for not seeking advice from Konerko and Baines, two of the best clutch hitters in franchise history.

kevingrt
06-27-2011, 09:51 PM
I can't believe Beckham is still using a swing that gives him virtually no chance to hit consistently. It's easy to see, so why is he still continuing to use it for so long?

I also think our hitters are nuts for not seeking advice from Konerko and Baines, two of the best clutch hitters in franchise history.

Because Greg Walker is our hitting coach. DUH! :angry:

Tragg
06-27-2011, 10:29 PM
I guess it couldn't hurt to fire him. But he's be a scapegoat. Guillen's "managing" this ship and Williams built this mess of a team.