PDA

View Full Version : Should Ozzie Guillen be fired?

Viva Medias B's
05-04-2011, 08:51 AM
We have certainly talked about this in other posts and polls, but the time has come to ask the question outright. There is enough angst out there. The time to gauge WSIers has come.

Soxfest
05-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Bye Blizzard.

cleanwsox
05-04-2011, 09:27 AM
I was going back and forth on this, but after seeing Dunn in the 3rd spot last night, I'm all for firing Ozzie. Dunn doesn't have a hit against lefties this year. Batting him 3rd was just moronic and stubborn.

Hitmen77
05-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Too bad this is a private poll.

I voted yes. Since July 2006 this team has underachieved. That's almost 5 years. Most of that time they've had a decent amount of talent and most of the time they struggle.

I really don't see what Ozzie brings to this team anymore (aside from occasional controversy).

Procol Harum
05-04-2011, 09:51 AM
I've always liked Ozzie, and thanks for the Ring and all, but, yeah--it's time.

Viva Medias B's
05-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Too bad this is a private poll.

I voted yes. Since July 2006 this team has underachieved. That's almost 5 years. Most of that time they've had a decent amount of talent and most of the time they struggle.

I really don't see what Ozzie brings to this team anymore (aside from occasional controversy).

I made this and the KW poll private to encourage more voting. I think if it were public, that would dissuade some people from voting.

slavko
05-04-2011, 09:57 AM
If the guy who gave JR the moment of his life is fired midseason, I'll buy you all a lemon cookie. Walk away after the season....maybe.

Viva Medias B's
05-04-2011, 10:00 AM
If the guy who gave JR the moment of his life is fired midseason, I'll buy you all a lemon cookie. Walk away after the season....maybe.

That could be the key to the whole problem right there. Jerry Reinsdorf is loyal to a fault.

WhiteSox5187
05-04-2011, 10:09 AM
I think he is nearing the end of his usefulness. If this team is still playing like **** at the end of the month, he should go. I can understand if the Sox want to wait until the end of the year, but if there are no playoffs this year he should go.

Bucky F. Dent
05-04-2011, 10:40 AM
God love ya, Ozzie. But it's time to go.

Noneck
05-04-2011, 10:54 AM
If a totally new coaching staff is able to be assemebled with a new manager, I am in favor of hiring a new manager now. But if its just fire Oz now and put Cora at the helm till year end, I am not in favor of that. Let Ozwaldo squirm, suffer and earn his money in a wasted season. Then clean house after season is over.

russ99
05-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Start with Walker and maybe Cooper, then if things don't get going by June 1st, then make major changes including both Ozzie and Kenny.

My biggest issue right now is complete inaction by the front office. Sometimes you need a shake-up for the players to get the message.

If I were running the team, Walker would be shown the door ASAP, and Beckham, Morel, Sale and Thornton would be sent to AAA, and Dunn put on the DL and given a long rehab assignment to get his swing back.

I'd bring up Viciedo, McPherson, Infante, Bruney and Marquez.

sox1970
05-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Start with Walker and maybe Cooper, then if things don't get going by June 1st, then make major changes including both Ozzie and Kenny.

My biggest issue right now is complete inaction by the front office. Sometimes you need a shake-up for the players to get the message.

If I were running the team, Walker would be shown the door ASAP, and Beckham, Morel, Sale and Thornton would be sent to AAA, and Dunn put on the DL and given a long rehab assignment to get his swing back.

Um, yeah, no.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-04-2011, 11:40 AM
I know the bullpen had blown a few saves before his tirade and walking out of that press conference, but since then, it's been abysmal.

I'll always remember 2005 and how fun it was, but it was 6 years ago. Time to move on.

Scottiehaswheels
05-04-2011, 11:49 AM
I'd suspend him for the rest of the season and make him watch this **** on TV. He seemed to enjoy that.

tstrike2000
05-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I thought they needed to make a change at manager after last season, but we all knew that wasn't going to happen.

DSpivack
05-04-2011, 11:52 AM
I thought they needed to make a change at manager after last season, but we all knew that wasn't going to happen.

To think we could have had Logan Morrison and a different manager.

daveeym
05-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Too bad they didn't do it last year. He could have taken his Atlanta talk and well been working at Fox this year.

tstrike2000
05-04-2011, 11:55 AM

We could've had Morrison? I missed that. He's a nice looking prospect for the Marlins.

miker
05-04-2011, 11:55 AM
I'd suspend him for the rest of the season and make him watch this **** on TV. He seemed to enjoy that.

Only if he can constantly Tweet about it...

DSpivack
05-04-2011, 12:15 PM
We could've had Morrison? I missed that. He's a nice looking prospect for the Marlins.

Well, that's supposedly who the Sox were asking for in compensation for the Marlins hiring Ozzie.

Nellie_Fox
05-04-2011, 12:21 PM
I made this and the KW poll private to encourage more voting. I think if it were public, that would dissuade some people from voting.
And some would make sure they vote like the "cool kids."

DSpivack
05-04-2011, 12:24 PM
And some would make sure they vote like the "cool kids."

Hey, what's wrong with hiring a churro as manager?

kittle42

That list right there shows why Williams should be shown the door.

kittle42

I thought (1) it was Stanton, and (2) it was false.

DSpivack
05-04-2011, 12:27 PM
I thought (1) it was Stanton, and (2) it was false.

It was Morrison, supposedly.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/guillen-discusses-future-in-chicago.html

That doesn't mean the Marlins would have agreed, of course. But I can dream, can't I?

tstrike2000
05-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Well, that's supposedly who the Sox were asking for in compensation for the Marlins hiring Ozzie.

Good memory, I now remember that. Oh well, what might have been.

russ99
05-04-2011, 01:27 PM
That list right there shows why Williams should be shown the door.

Yes, but those are our best performing players at AAA, and they can't be any worse than the guys on the big club. Why not try to change things up a bit than go with the same group of guys who could care less that this club is being embarrassed.

The point being is the fatcats on the roster won't care until someone with a big salary is sent down to show that nobody's job is safe. No accountability = no reason to do anything different than just show up and collect a check.

khan
05-04-2011, 01:30 PM
NO. Ozzie is a mystic, whose knowledge and acumen of all things baseball is unrivalled. Not only should he NOT be fired, but he should be given a 15 year extension at $10M/yr.

kittle42
05-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Yes, but those are our best performing players at AAA, and they can't be any worse than the guys on the big club. Why not try to change things up a bit than go with the same group of guys who could care less that this club is being embarrassed.

The point being is the fatcats on the roster won't care until someone with a big salary is sent down to show that nobody's job is safe. No accountability = no reason to do anything different than just show up and collect a check.

I didn't say I don't agree with you, because I do on several of the guys you want jettisoned, but I'm just saying the replacement list is an indictment of Kenny.

guillensdisciple
05-04-2011, 03:52 PM
I would have to change my name, but yes.

HaroMaster87
05-04-2011, 04:45 PM
No one is a bigger Ozzie fan than me but they have obviously tuned him out. And a lot of his recent moves are starting to make me feel like he's on the Lou Pinella retirement tour i.e. stealing all these bases, continuing to not pinch hit for veterans he loves.

Not to mention, when is the last time he lit someone up in the media?IF ever someone deserves it, its this year...

WhiteSox5187
05-04-2011, 05:28 PM
I responded to this earlier and I am a fan of Ozzie, but I think he has lost this team. It's time for him to go.

JB98
05-04-2011, 05:58 PM
A lot of mental mistakes out there today. Doesn't reflect well on the manager.

Tragg
05-04-2011, 07:34 PM
His near complete inability to judge and develop young talent has just killed this team.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-04-2011, 09:01 PM
I've always liked Ozzie, and thanks for the Ring and all, but, yeah--it's time.

This. And his teams underachieve way too much. I believe a head coach/manager has a big effect on attitude which dwindles down to on-field performance.

A. Cavatica
05-04-2011, 09:44 PM
I like the way this poll is going. I think management does pay attention to the pulse of the fans, and the fans want Ozzie's head on a pike.

TDog
05-04-2011, 10:05 PM

I think you're right. And I don't see Guillen leaving before the end of his contract unless he is going to another job.

To Guillen's credit, he hasn't thrown his coaches under the bus the way many managers in his position do. But Cooper and Walker have been in their positions longer than Guillen has been in his.

Brian26
05-04-2011, 10:27 PM
To Guillen's credit, he hasn't thrown his coaches under the bus the way many managers in his position do. But Cooper and Walker have been in their positions longer than Guillen has been in his.

Ozzie threw Walker under the bus once before - around May of 2009 right before or right after the trip to Tampa Bay. He's not past doing that again.

Brian26
05-04-2011, 10:29 PM

Reinsdorf is a business man and a thousand times smarter than Ozzie and the Guillen boys. I don't think he would ever fire Ozzie, but he'd bring him into the office and ask him if he wanted to step down and take a break for the good of the organization.

PaleHoser
05-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Yes. Ozzie looks so lost right now I don't know if he could find his way out of his office without a map and compass. I wish he'd take Joey Cora and Greg Walker with him on his way out. Thanks for the memories boys, but new voices and fresh perspective are needed.

The perfect time to do this was after today's game. A day game, followed by an off-day/travel day with a long west coast flight would have given replacements some time to scratch their *** and figure out where to start with this mess.

I think a ten day west coast road trip with next to no local or national coverage because of the time difference wouldn't hurt that effort either.

aloha
05-04-2011, 10:44 PM
you don't throw one of the, if not the best manager in all of baseball, and one of the greatest of all time, out because you had one bad month. sheesh, they lost two games in a row here by one run each, where the pitchers had cy young like performances.

tstrike2000
05-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Ozzie's a class act. I didn't want him in '04 and don't want him now. However, if firing him means they're going to keep bringing in former Sox players to coach or bringing in people with really no managerial experience then they may as well keep the garbage that's in there now.

A. Cavatica
05-04-2011, 10:54 PM
you don't throw one of the, if not the best manager in all of baseball, and one of the greatest of all time, out because you had one bad month. sheesh, they lost two games in a row here by one run each, where the pitchers had cy young like performances.

No, you wouldn't throw out the best manager in baseball because of a bad month. But you would have thrown out a stooge like Ozzie at the end of 2006 if the team had not won in 2005, and he's shown no sign of being a good manager since.

Scottiehaswheels
05-04-2011, 11:13 PM
By that standard we should have given Dye a 10 year contract. All he had were bad second halves. 2005 WS MVP!!!!!Since 2006 Ozzie run teams have pissed a half bilion down the drain for 1! playoff win.

russ99
05-05-2011, 01:01 AM
His near complete inability to judge and develop young talent has just killed this team.

You're mistaken, that's the general manager's job. If you have a problem with it, let's bring Kenny into the conversation.

doublem23
05-05-2011, 01:06 AM
No, you wouldn't throw out the best manager in baseball because of a bad month. But you would have thrown out a stooge like Ozzie at the end of 2006 if the team had not won in 2005, and he's shown no sign of being a good manager since.

By that standard we should have given Dye a 10 year contract. All he had were bad second halves. 2005 WS MVP!!!!!Since 2006 Ozzie run teams have pissed a half bilion down the drain for 1! playoff win.

You guys really aren't falling for that, are you?

You're mistaken, that's the general manager's job. If you have a problem with it, let's bring Kenny into the conversation.

I would bet anything that Ozzie has at least some say in who makes the 25-man roster and who gets playing time and who rides the bench. Sure, KW's been awful at developing the farm system, but Ozzie's made more than his fair share of curious decisions regarding young players. So they both suck. Whoopee!

khan
05-05-2011, 01:10 PM

Really? We know you're an ozzpologist, and that's cool. But do you REALLY think that a field manager has no responsibilities in terms of judging talent?

Do we need to list chapter and verse of poor decisionmaking in terms of the use of players by OG? You know, the guy who has to "judge" who would be a good player at a position and/or spot in the lineup?

I'm fascinated to see how you will attempt to spin this, contort reality, make excuses, revise history, or outright LIE about your hero OG.

soltrain21
05-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Gotta hand it to Russ. Guy is willing to go down with his ship.

khan
05-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Gotta hand it to Russ. Guy is willing to go down with his ship.

I'm honestly not trying to make the guy feel bad, or anything like that.

I simply refuse to believe that someone with an average amount of intellect and education and experience in watching/playing the game could refuse to acknowledge an obvious failing in OG's performance.

We could point to several examples of what should be obvious examples of a failure to judge talent, and therefore, to more sensibly deploy that talent over the course of OG's tenure.

Jim Shorts
05-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Depends. What was the highest level of education Ozzie has attained?

kittle42
05-05-2011, 01:42 PM

khan, I agree with you on your critiquing of Ozzie's failures, generally, but he's got you here!

Tragg
05-05-2011, 01:47 PM

Wrong
It's his job as well. The GM listens to the field manager on talent....he has to. the manager fills out the lineup card.
And believe me I have brought Williams into the discussion; at times he's cowered to Guillen's preference of the mediocre or worse veteran. And his recent trades have been horrible.

khan
05-05-2011, 01:52 PM

khan, I agree with you on your critiquing of Ozzie's failures, generally, but he's got you here!
Oh, I don't give a **** if "he's got me here."

Glomming onto a part of my posts is actually a great compliment to me on Jim's part. Note that he has absolutely nothing to add to the discussion; neither agreement nor disagreement with anything anyone has posted. Rather, I feel like he's riding my coat tails instead of adding to the discussion. That's cool, though; its a free country.

In any case, I really can't wait to read what, if ANYTHING the ozzpologists [such as russ] will use to deflect the critique of OG's utter craptitude at judging talent.

It is 100% true that the GM has to judge talent in order to acquire the right pieces of the roster. That said, it is equally true that a field manager must have an ability to judge talent in order to put a team into position to maximize said talent.

kittle42
05-05-2011, 01:54 PM
In any case, I really can't wait to read what, if ANYTHING the ozzpologists [such as russ] will use to deflect the critique of OG's utter craptitude at judging talent.

I'd prefer some response in that other thread in which you and others laid out clear ways Ozzie could improve without any roster shakeup at all.

khan
05-05-2011, 01:56 PM
I'd prefer some response in that other thread in which you and others laid out clear ways Ozzie could improve without any roster shakeup at all.

See, those "ideas" that were posted over there by others and myself generally are examples of OG's failure at judging talent. [But, I wanted russ or another ozzpologist to get to that first. Shhhh!]

kittle42
05-05-2011, 02:07 PM
See, those "ideas" that were posted over there by others and myself generally are examples of OG's failure at judging talent. [But, I wanted russ or another ozzpologist to get to that first. Shhhh!]

I'm just pissed that it's 1:00 and no one's been fired yet.

Jim Shorts
05-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Somebody really, really likes himself here. That's terrific spin.

For the record, I want what Gonzo suggested. Clean house; GM, Field Manager, entire coaching staff. And I would have liked that to happen about an hour after John Danks became 0-5.

However, that's not going to happen on 5/4 or 5. So, it's a foolish discussion, as was my earlier post. As was saying OG and KW have failed for the past 5-6 years because they're not educated enough.

tstrike2000
05-05-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm just pissed that it's 1:00 and no one's been fired yet.

It might be that KW's expanding his search to see if someone has a Juris Doctor for not only the manager position but hitting coach. Makes sense as, after all, the hitting coach has the hardest uniformed position in all of sports.

Daver
05-05-2011, 03:12 PM
It might be that KW's expanding his search to see if someone has a Juris Doctor for not only the manager position but hitting coach. Makes sense as, after all, the hitting coach has the hardest uniformed position in all of sports.

Finding a coach with a masters degree in hitting is hard work.

kittle42
05-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Finding a coach with a masters degree in hitting is hard work.

John Cena has a doctorate in thugonomics, so with today's online degree programs, anything is possible.

tstrike2000
05-05-2011, 03:26 PM
John Cena has a doctorate in thugonomics, so with today's online degree programs, anything is possible.

Once Khan relays this information to Kenny, I think we've found our new man.

daveeym
05-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Rumor has it that there were moving trucks outside of Ozzies place a couple days ago.

sox1970
05-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Rumor has it that there were moving trucks outside of Ozzies place a couple days ago.

Yes, because he has a new place in Chicago. He's talked about it recently.

soxinem1
05-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Bob Brenly was a gone a few years after ARI won it all in 2001.

Lou Piniella was out of CIN after a few years too when they did the same thing.

There are more examples of this as well.

We should always be grateful for the years Ozzie gave us as both a player and the 2005 World Series, however that does not mean he should be kept on because of that.

Honestly, all of the BS with Ozzie is really getting past the point of tolerance. The 2004, 2006-2011 all have exhibited a sore lacking in fundamentals, and that is the fault of the manager and his coaches.

While I do not usually agree with firing a manager this early in the season, the fact is the team is lifeless, sorely lacking in the basics of the game, and misfiring on all cylinders.

No way should Danks be 0-5. No way.

The defensive fiasco in the second game (8th inning) of the series with BAL with Humber pitching his ass off is a perfect example.

And why Ozzie thinks Dunn should be batting third under any circumstance is acceptable.

But I think his time has to come to an end.

tstrike2000
05-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Bob Brenly was a gone a few years after ARI won it all in 2001.

Lou Piniella was out of CIN after a few years too when they did the same thing.

There are more examples of this as well.

We should always be grateful for the years Ozzie gave us as both a player and the 2005 World Series, however that does not mean he should be kept on because of that.

Honestly, all of the BS with Ozzie is really getting past the point of tolerance. The 2004, 2006-2011 all have exhibited a sore lacking in fundamentals, and that is the fault of the manager and his coaches.

While I do not usually agree with firing a manager this early in the season, the fact is the team is lifeless, sorely lacking in the basics of the game, and misfiring on all cylinders.

No way should Danks be 0-5. No way.

The defensive fiasco in the second game (8th inning) of the series with BAL with Humber pitching his ass off is a perfect example.

And why Ozzie thinks Dunn should be batting third under any circumstance is acceptable.

But I think his time has to come to an end.

It's all loyalty. Ozzie should've never been hired in the first place.

JB98
05-05-2011, 06:51 PM

I think he was the right guy at the right time to shake this organization out of the malaise that was the Manuel Era.

That said, it's looking more and more like Ozzie's tenure here has run its course.

Jim Shorts
05-05-2011, 07:07 PM

that's ridiculous on it's face. I understand you're disappointed, we all are, but that's an over reaction. He won a WS and is among the top five winningest active managers in the game.

He's now in year 8, and has probably run his tenure here, but to say he should never been hired is absurd. As another poster said, he was the right guy at the right time, but that time is no longer, I'm afraid.

Daver
05-05-2011, 07:23 PM
that's ridiculous on it's face. I understand you're disappointed, we all are, but that's an over reaction. He won a WS and is among the top five winningest active managers in the game.

Did he win it, or did the players win it despite him?

I was opposed to Guillen being hired in the first place, in fact the "Fire Guillen" tag we have here was made the day he was hired at my request.

I think he is a good motivator that lacks the acumen for the day to day running of a roster, he has little grasp of understanding pitching matchups, and he can't grasp that the players that play the type of ball he wants played are the ones that are failing to do just that.

What's Jose Valentin or Sandy Alomar doing these days?

daveeym
05-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Yes, because he has a new place in Chicago. He's talked about it recently.

Pfft, I've tuned ozzie out since the second half of 06, just like the players.

veeter
05-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Ozzie is a lazy manager. He shows it in spring training, with his lineups, and by the complete lack of fundamentals his team displays. I mean how hard is it to MAKE Alexei straddle second base when he covers on a steal. Add all the crap with his kid last year....bye bye *******. And trust me he would never come back to haunt us.

khan
05-05-2011, 08:01 PM

I love all the accolades I'm getting here. I've rendered other posters unable to write their own thoughts, but rather, piggyback onto mine. :D:

That aside, I don't necessarily need the field manager to have a JD or MS or MA. I'd settle for a field manager that understands what the following character represents: 0

That character represents the quantity of hits his team got vs. Liriano the other day. It also represents the number of hits his struggling DH has had vs. LHP so far this season. Despite that reality, Ozzie [in all his genius] decided it would be a DANDY idea to have Adam Dunn bat 3rd vs. Liriano, a LHP.

I honestly don't know if Ozzie knows what the character "0" represents. Perhaps he's illiterate. Perhaps he's merely stupid.

Again, while I don't necessarily want a field manager to have a JD or MS degree, I'd like the dumb piece of **** to not put his DH and the entire ****ing team in a position to fail by mis-using his DH. If Ozzie Guillen can't understand what the character "0" means, he should get help from an assistant.

I think he is a good motivator that lacks the acumen for the day to day running of a roster, he has little grasp of understanding pitching matchups, and he can't grasp that the players that play the type of ball he wants played are the ones that are failing to do just that.
I agree with all of this. The bolded portions suggest that you, like me, believe that Ozzie is a stupid and/or ignorant human being who is intellectually out of his depth as field manager.

soltrain21
05-05-2011, 08:09 PM
I love all the accolades I'm getting here. I've rendered other posters unable to write their own thoughts, but rather, piggyback onto mine. :D:

That aside, I don't necessarily need the field manager to have a JD or MS or MA. I'd settle for a field manager that understands what the following character represents: 0

That character represents the quantity of hits his team got vs. Liriano the other day. It also represents the number of hits his struggling DH has had vs. LHP so far this season. Despite that reality, Ozzie [in all his genius] decided it would be a DANDY idea to have Adam Dunn bat 3rd vs. Liriano, a LHP.

I honestly don't know if Ozzie knows what the character "0" represents. Perhaps he's illiterate. Perhaps he's merely stupid.

Again, while I don't necessarily want a field manager to have a JD or MS degree, I'd like the dumb piece of **** to not put his DH and the entire ****ing team in a position to fail by mis-using his DH. If Ozzie Guillen can't understand what the character "0" means, he should get help from an assistant.

I agree with all of this. The bolded portions suggest that you, like me, believe that Ozzie is a stupid and/or ignorant human being who is intellectually out of his depth as field manager.

People are making fun of you, captain.

khan
05-05-2011, 08:13 PM
People are making fun of you, captain.

That's cool. I happen to like having a smart manager, and those guys want a guy who apparently is too dumb to understand the character "0."

Daver
05-05-2011, 08:14 PM

You know what happens when you assume, right?

To suggest that someone is stupid or ignorant based on his lack of one specialized skillset astounds me, especially when it comes from someone that is not even close to being qualified to do the job he is referring to.

Have you learned what a minor league outfield instructor actually does yet?

khan
05-05-2011, 08:17 PM
To suggest that someone is stupid or ignorant based on his lack of one specialized skillset astounds me, especially when it comes from someone that is not even close to being qualified to do the job he is referring to.

You have so stated the same thing with respect to Guillen's inability to grasp certain concepts. Your previous post also spoke to his lacking in certain types of acumen.

In other words, your previous post called Guillen a dumb guy. I agree with you.

Falstaff
05-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Ya I'm thinking Jerry should issue a tweet, and tell Ozzie "Adios!"; that would
be a fitting way to announce the termination. How about during a losing game?

soxinem1
05-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Have you learned what a minor league outfield instructor actually does yet?

Yes!! He is the Jack Haley to Dennis Rodman, or in Chicago terms, nepotism.

Daver
05-05-2011, 08:35 PM
In other words, your previous post called Guillen a dumb guy. I agree with you.

No, it didn't.

And I do not appreciate people putting words in mouth, I would suggest you not do it again.

SoxSpeed22
05-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Something that I said in the BABIP thread belongs here instead. I don't know if the whole idea of him acting like he's the face of the franchise is affecting the players or if his management style is wearing thin on the players, but I don't think he has the answers to what is going on right now. I think someone else needs a shot at figuring it out since this team is too talented for this ****.