PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Favorite MLB Team

gogosox675
05-03-2011, 11:13 PM
It looks like, barring a miracle, the White Sox are in for a rough summer. With that in mind, does anybody have a second team that they follow? I'm trying to catch more Pirates games this year since I have MLB.TV. I don't follow them nearly as close as the Sox, but they are my hometown team in a way. Who do you guys like to watch?

Daver
05-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Lewis University Flyers.

WhiteSox56
05-03-2011, 11:29 PM
No.

MrT27
05-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Brewers. When I lived in the Chicagoland area it was at times less time to get to Miller Park then The Cell due to traffic in Chicago. I ended up going to a good deal of Brewers games and they became my 2nd team.

DSpivack
05-03-2011, 11:54 PM
My dad lived in Springfield when I was growing up, so visiting him during the summer we often went to St. Louis for the weekend. I grew to the like the Cardinals during that time, but it's a been a long time since I was there.

When I lived in Atlanta, I would go to a few Braves games, didn't mind them and still occasionally watch their games online.

When I lived in DC, I went to a few Nats games, didn't mind them, but really never watch any of their games, because come on, they're the Nats.

DirtySox
05-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Reds for a few years now.

soltrain21
05-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Marlins.

manders_01
05-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Rockies

thomas35forever
05-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Astros

SephClone89
05-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Giants, since I was a kid. Always loved Willie Mays (and Bonds, for some reason). Add in Lincecum, Posey, Jon Miller, and the fact that they play in the Western time zone and therefore don't often overlap with the Sox, and it's a good combination.

MUsoxfan
05-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Brewers

Lip Man 1
05-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Second favorite team? My White Sox tapes from better years in the past.

Lip

DSpivack
05-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Giants, since I was a kid. Always loved Willie Mays (and Bonds, for some reason). Add in Lincecum, Posey, Jon Miller, and the fact that they play in the Western time zone and therefore don't often overlap with the Sox, and it's a good combination.

As an MLB.tv subscriber, I should watch more of their games late at night, I love Jon Miller. Maybe I will when NBA/NHL playoffs start dying down.

palehozenychicty
05-04-2011, 01:09 AM
I've always liked the Phillies from afar. I know they are a financial powerhouse now, but I remember when they were the Sillies and had guys with funny names like Milt Thompson, Mickey Morandini, and Von Hayes. The Phanatic is cool too, reminding me of old shows like "This Week In Baseball" and "The Baseball Bunch".

Flipping to modern times, I wish we had a guy like Rollins on this team. Not necessarily what he says, but the aura, the confidence. Nobody on this team has that vibe.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-04-2011, 02:17 AM
Colorado Rockies. I've always liked them since the Larry Walker-Todd Helton-Dante Bichette days, and I'm kind of a sucker for purple uniforms.

I even have a Rockies hat...I don't even have a White Sox one. On my laptop, I have three stickers: White Sox, Blackhawks, and Rockies.

So, manders, you're not alone with the Rockie fandom on WSI.

Foulke You
05-04-2011, 02:21 AM
I have no loyalty to any team but the Sox. I have plenty of hatred though. I wish for nothing but bad things to happen to the Twins, Yankees, and Cubs. When the Sox suck, it ruins the entire baseball season for me.

konerko 14
05-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Athletics

LITTLE NELL
05-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Tampa Bay Rays
Florida Marlins
Both playing super baseball right now, walk off HR by Upton last night.

Also became a big fan of the Tampa Bay Lightning last year and looks like they will meet the Bruins in the semis. Would just love sending Fenway's Broons packing for the summer.

Fenway
05-04-2011, 07:50 AM
White Sox

but I will always have a soft spot for

Nos Amours :whiner:

SOXSINCE'70
05-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Let's go, Phillies,let's go!!

Red Barchetta
05-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Tampa Bay Rays
Florida Marlins
Both playing super baseball right now, walk HR by Upton last night.

Also became a big fan of the Tampa Bay Lightning last year and looks like they will meet the Bruins in the semis. Would just love sending Fenway's Broons packing for the summer.

Since moving to Sarasota area in 2005, I have grown to like the Joe Madden-lead Rays. I still hate the Trop and hope the owners can work out a deal for a new dowtown Tampa ballpark.

Luckily, the Bulls run is keeping me occupied, however it's nice to see the Rays playing well and the Lightning in the playoffs. Fun night for Tampa Bay sports fans last night!

LITTLE NELL
05-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Since moving to Sarasota area in 2005, I have grown to like the Joe Madden-lead Rays. I still hate the Trop and hope the owners can work out a deal for a new dowtown Tampa ballpark.

Luckily, the Bulls run is keeping me occupied, however it's nice to see the Rays playing well and the Lightning in the playoffs. Fun night for Tampa Bay sports fans last night!

Would love to see Madden as the Sox skipper, but that ain't going to happen. Not right now, anyway.

Bucky F. Dent
05-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Nobody, which has made the past month especially painful.

SI1020
05-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Rays and Braves.

eriqjaffe
05-04-2011, 09:25 AM
The Dodgers, whom I began following when I lived in LA back in the '90s.

Red Barchetta
05-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Would love to see Madden as the Sox skipper, but that ain't going to happen. Not right now, anyway.

Yeah, I don't think he's going anywhere for awhile. :(:

I really like his style. Low-keyed, supportive of his players and interacts very well with the media.

It's amazing how well the Rays have pulled together since the Manny circus left town. Now with Longoria back, they might surprise the experts (again) this year.

g0g0
05-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Athletics

+1, but I don't have enough time to follow another sports team.

dakuda
05-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Lewis University Flyers.

Is the team any good? I don't even recall how they were went I went there was friends with a few guys on the team.

For the past 10 years or so, I've looked in on the Phillies every once in a while.

manders_01
05-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Colorado Rockies. I've always liked them since the Larry Walker-Todd Helton-Dante Bichette days, and I'm kind of a sucker for purple uniforms.

I even have a Rockies hat...I don't even have a White Sox one. On my laptop, I have three stickers: White Sox, Blackhawks, and Rockies.

Hell yes! :thumbsup: :D:

soxfanatlanta
05-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Braves

05-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Padres. They are even more dreadful to watch than the White Sox.

GoGoCrede
05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Dodgers, but only marginally.

Lamp81
05-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Brewers

As a kid my cable system had both Chicago and Milwaukee locals. This was also the glory years of Brewer baseball.

Enjoyed their move to the NL, so I could root for them to beat the Cubs 15+ times a year.

05-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Whoever is playing the twins

Chez
05-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Whoever is playing the Cubs.

Max Power
05-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I've liked the Marlins ever since they joined the league. I even had one of their ridiculous teal hats (Ah, the 90's).

The Brewers have grown on me since they moved to the NL. I try to get up there for a couple of games a year.

TDog
05-04-2011, 03:30 PM
I've come to like the Giants. But between the White Sox and the Giants, I've seen a lot of poorly played baseball this spring.

I also root for whoever is playing the A's, except when the A's are playing the Twins, Indians or Tigers. Sure enough, the A's bullpen failed against the Indians last night. A's announcer Ray Fosse is such an idiot. He was complaining at length about how a forceout recorded by Orlando Cabrera shouldn't have counted because he touched the base with his hand instead of his foot.

seventyseven
05-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Cardinals.

guillensdisciple
05-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Pending.

I'm planning on moving to Texas in a couple of years for law school so probably will be between the Stros' or the Rangers but I've always had a thing for the Marlins since I came to America.

either way, I'll be watching the Sox through the subscription thing so it's not really going to matter.

Thome25
05-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I have no loyalty to any team but the Sox. I have plenty of hatred though. I wish for nothing but bad things to happen to the Twins, Yankees, and Cubs. When the Sox suck, it ruins the entire baseball season for me.

This.

russ99
05-04-2011, 03:57 PM
My second favorite team is the Astros since the late 70s.

I'm a big fan of the pitching/speed/defense baseball philosophy because of this.

What I wouldn't give for a modern-day Cesar Cedeno on the Sox right now...

eriqjaffe
05-04-2011, 04:37 PM
What I wouldn't give for a modern-day Cesar Cedeno on the Sox right now...I kinda feel like a 60-year-old Cesar Cedeno would be an improvement right about now.

white sox bill
05-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Brew Crew.....love Milwaukee!!

whitesox4eva
05-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Colorado Rockies.

Medford Bobby
05-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Los Dodgers!:smile:

mcg
05-04-2011, 07:56 PM

You guys aren't the only ones. Despite living in Chicagoland all my life and always considering myself a Sox fan, the Rockies were the first professional baseball team I saw. I somehow managed to make it to 3 Rockies games before I saw a Sox game live.

Zakath
05-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Giants. My brother is a huge fan (ever since the McCovey days), who for the first time in his 50 years on the planet got to see his Giants win the World Series.

NLaloosh
05-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Brewers ! Some great players and the best ballpark anywhere around here!

Red Barchetta
05-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Brewers ! Some great players and the best ballpark anywhere around here!

I like the Brewers and if the SOX would have moved to St. Pete as they originally threatened to, I would have probably adopted the Brewers as my new team at the time.

I really, really, really, wish they would bring back the Robin Yount era uniforms! I loved those!

Dub25
05-05-2011, 12:08 AM
It looks like, barring a miracle, the White Sox are in for a rough summer. With that in mind, does anybody have a second team that they follow? I'm trying to catch more Pirates games this year since I have MLB.TV. I don't follow them nearly as close as the Sox, but they are my hometown team in a way. Who do you guys like to watch?

This is an easy one... The St. Louis Cardinals.

GlassSox
05-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Cardinals.

Me too.

Dub25
05-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Second favorite team? My White Sox tapes from better years in the past.

Lip

Lip:

You keep talking about these old tapes... not only am I jealous but I picture you watching either a Sox game from now or old ones....

Either way, you should start a White Sox tv channel.

monkeypants
05-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Pittsburgh Pirates. The "We Are Family" Pirates of 1979 were the first baseball memories I have and my dad's favorite player of all time was Clemente. So I've kind of attached myself to the Buccos even with their 18 year sub .500 streak.

Montreal Expos. There was always something appealing about America's Past Time being played in a foreign country and then in a French speaking province. They had some truly good teams playing in goofy looking uniforms in a goofy and horrible stadium. Plus they had Youppi! 1994 really broke my heart because it was looking like the Sox and Expos were going to be in the World Series until the strike happened.

Philadelphia Phillies. Same thing with the Pirates, they were a good team at a time when I was just getting into baseball in the early 80s. Cool looking uniforms and my name is Phil so that made more of an impression on me when I was a youngster.

KMcMahon817
05-05-2011, 01:05 AM
Brewers, but only for the past three years since I have lived in Milwaukee. I love the stadium and I'll watch some Crew games here and there with my roommates. But, when it comes to baseball, I have a real hard time giving any team but the SOX my allegiance.

manders_01
05-05-2011, 01:24 AM
Colorado Rockies.

You guys aren't the only ones. Despite living in Chicagoland all my life and always considering myself a Sox fan, the Rockies were the first professional baseball team I saw. I somehow managed to make it to 3 Rockies games before I saw a Sox game live.

Yay for more Rockies love! :thumbsup:

Are any of my fellow Rockies supporters coming out for the series in June?

Soxman24
05-05-2011, 11:22 AM
As for MLB I also follow the Cards, as for the Chicagoland area I love all of the minor league (Independent) league teams.

C-Dawg
05-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Mets.

dwitt76
05-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Yay for more Rockies love! :thumbsup:

Are any of my fellow Rockies supporters coming out for the series in June?

I wish, I was just in Denver and caught a rockies game. Great park and a HUGE fan of Denver. I cannot get off work at the end of june though. If i ever moved there I would support the Rockies. But for now, just a little love for them.

rdwj
05-05-2011, 01:32 PM
I tend to start rooting for teams are well represented on my fantasy team. This year, it's the Brewers, Reds, Phillies and Braves.

MeteorsSox4367
05-05-2011, 02:06 PM
The team who is playing the Yankees today.

But seriously...

AL -

Royals - I know they're in the Central, but I've always liked them since the 70s when I was a kid. George Brett is one of my all-time favorite players.

Orioles - Loved the 70s caps with the white panel in front and the smiling Oriole. They also had some guy who played 2,632 consecutive games who is also high on my list of all-time favorites.

Angels - Always been pretty solid. Hated the Disney unis, but have always liked them. The A with the halo logo is damn cool.

NL -

Pirates - Not been a good last two decades for them. Liked the late 70s teams as a kid. PNC Park is amazingly beautiful.

Cardinals - Close to Chicago. Always good. Great tradition. Awesome unis. Family friend played for them in the 50s.

Giants - Always liked them. Love the black SF caps. Have to get to AT&T Park someday for a game. Looks beautiful on TV.

Padres - Sometimes awful, but always liked them. Loved the two-tone brown caps as a kid.

Nationals - Liked Expos. Would have liked to have seen the Senators play. Combo of those two factors.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Dub:

I don't have that many! :tongue:

I've got complete games on video since 1981, complete games on audio since the late 50's and I've got a lot of highlights, radio interviews, snippets from games from back in the mid 1950's through today, official team season highlight tapes that kind of stuff. Also three or four Sox documentaries from as far back as 1958 or so.

I do have enough so that I don't have to subject myself to a lot of what is taking place in the here and now. LOL.

I've actually begun the process of making copies of everything so that I can send it along to the Sox themselves for possible future use. They probably have 80% of so of the stuff that I have but even if it's just a few items that they don't have, it's worth it to me. The originals all are going to my grandson.

The Sox as you know don't have a lot of historical material relatively speaking to teams like the Yankees (which is why they haven't started their own TV channel) Nobody is sure why, some claim the Veeck family took everything when they sold but Mike denied that in an interview with me. Rich King at WGN-TV told me in another interview that they don't have a lot of Sox stuff before 1983. So I figure anything has got to help the cause right?

Lip

gogosox675
05-05-2011, 07:18 PM
It's cool to know there's a few people on here that like the Pirates. Now if they could only get a few people in Pittsburgh to think the same way they would really be on to something! :redneck

Pirates - Not been a good last two decades for them. Liked the late 70s teams as a kid. PNC Park is amazingly beautiful.

I wish the Sox had someone similar to Willie Stargell on the team right now.

ChicagoG19
05-05-2011, 07:46 PM

This. I hate the Twins.

Zisk77
05-05-2011, 09:45 PM
I gotta go sox or bust. Really the same for all sports, Sox, bears, blackhawks, Fighting Illini, Bulls. I guess the closest I got to a second favorite team was the Jazz only because of Deron Williams.

Railsplitter
05-06-2011, 11:28 AM

Whoever is playing the Cubs.

Surprise #1: Somebody mentioned the Twinkies before the the Schlubs.
Surpirse #2: It took so long for either to get mentioned.

Moses_Scurry
05-06-2011, 12:38 PM
I will root for the best team between the Brewers, Cardinals, Reds, Astros, and Pirates.

I will also root for teams that are the "surprise" teams or teams other than the cubs that have long title droughts. Therefore, my interests change from year to year. Last year, I rooted for Texas once I knew the Sox were out of it. I was OK with the Giants as well, but I wanted San Diego to make the playoffs over them.

MikeW
05-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Pirates

Just because my Dad liked them. I remember watching them a lot during the 1960's. Bob Veale,Gene Alley,Bob Friend and Manny Sanguillen. My Dad liked Sid Gordon and Don Hoak.

EMachine10
05-07-2011, 05:51 PM
It used to be the Rays, but they've gotten too mainstreamed by ESPN lately, so I'm shifting off of that. Maybe the Brewers?