PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-2 Bravo! Buehrle, Bats' Blasts Beat Baltimore Birds Postgamer

soxinem1
05-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Wow, most runs in three weeks. Maybe the patient is alive.

Buehrle and Crain were dealing. Sergio with the save!!

Sale needs to get his head out of his ass. We can't have two of the hardest throwing lefties in the game afraid to throw strikes.

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2011, 10:54 PM
'Bout time!

SBSoxFan
05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
1/2 way to 300 Mark!

konerko 14
So good to finally see a win! :bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
Too many bullpen balls, though.

LoveYourSuit
Never easy with the boys. Never easy.

SBSoxFan
Too many bullpen balls, though.

Or not enough, depending on your perspective.

soxlady8
05-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Sale was a wee bit scary there in the 9th .
Glad Sergio could get Jones out :)
Yeah Sox !
Feels good to win !

manders_01
YAY!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: I like it when we win. :spongebob:

LongLiveFisk
For the first time in a long time, watching White Sox baseball did not make me want to gouge my eyes out.

Keep it going now! :bandance:

GlassSox
05-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Amen!

DirtySox
05-02-2011, 10:58 PM
A win? I only watch the White Sox when they are losing.

tstrike2000
05-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Rios couldn't get much worse, so nice to see him have a good game and have the pitching not implode! Plus Pierre actually made a tough catch! Amazing! Now we need to beat Minnesota 64-2 on Wednesday.

palehozenychicty
Wow, most runs in three weeks. Maybe the patient is alive.

Buehrle and Crain were dealing. Sergio with the save!!

Sale needs to get his head out of his ass. We can't have two of the hardest throwing lefties in the game afraid to throw strikes.

This. Is true. Need to mix up that forte.

Other than that, good win. This is what the year was supposed to look like. We have time.

October26
Congrats Mark on getting career win #150!

Thanks Paulie for hitting 2 homers tonite!

Kudos to Juan Pierre for making that amazing catch!

Thank you Sergio; Sox win! :smile:

Soxfest
Finally a win the hard way...........Sale needs sent down for a while.

asindc
05-02-2011, 11:00 PM
The good: :bandance:

DirtySox
05-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Sale needs sent down for a while.

That's where he should have started the season.

asindc
05-02-2011, 11:02 PM
The bad: Chris Sale pissed me the **** off tonight. Throw a goddamn strike!:angry: You were up 6-0!:angry:

tstrike2000
05-02-2011, 11:03 PM
The only thing that's almost as bad as watching the Sox lately is having to watch another commercial for "The Voice." Nice change of pace tonight.

MountainCur
05-02-2011, 11:13 PM
crain and santos are two big bright spots in our pen

if only crain could go 1 and a third every day and santos gives us the 9th

KMcMahon817
05-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Winning feels good. I hope Rios has finally turned the corner. I worry more about him than I do with Dunn.

Now let's just kick the crap out of the Twins.

delben91
05-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Eh. Win 1 out of 6? Not exactly lighting my world afire.

If they don't go out and get swept by Minnesota maybe I'll pay attention again.

Maybe a win, but feels incredibly hollow to me.

canOcorn
05-02-2011, 11:22 PM

I usually agree with a lot of your opinions, but do you really think he should be in Birmingham learning to be a starter with the roster we had going into the season? I'd agree with that/your plan except we were built to win this year and it's going to be a long rebuilding process if this blows up in their face this year. The rotation is screwed next year whether Sale is a starter or not.......

TDog
05-02-2011, 11:23 PM
... Sale needs to get his head out of his ass. We can't have two of the hardest throwing lefties in the game afraid to throw strikes.

Specifically, I think tonight was Sale hitting Markakis. I think it shook Sale up while facing Lee, and the home run compounded the problem. Sale might not have the experience to put things like that behind him. Santos has been a pro for awhile. Really, that's why I'm beginning to like him as a closer.

Minor league pitchers showed Santos no mercy, which is why he's pitching now, and he probably has more of the killer instinct that a closer needs. I'm not saying that Sale doesn't have talent, and if he were relieving in the minors (and even starting in most cases) he wouldn't have to face opposing pitchers to see what it's like. But pitching isn't just about throwing hard.

Which reminds me of how well Mark Buehrle pitched tonight. He allowed 12 baserunners in 6.2 inning, but none of them scored, thanks in part to a great defensive play from Pierre, which was nice to see. Pitching isn't about striking other hitters out, but keeping the other team from scoring. Of course, Buehrle can win when he doesn't allow any hits, he's shown that.

The Orioles were 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position tonight. The first time the Sox got a runner on first, he steals and comes home on a two-out Pierre hit, which as very nice to see.

Konerko should have had three extra-base hits, including a bases loaded double that was turned into a sacrifice fly to go along with two home runs. Rios singled, stole second, scored and later drove himself in with a home run. Rather than Sunday's ninth-inning strikeout calls messing these guys up further, it's like they straightened them out.

At least it would be nice to think so.

A great win tonight. Right up to the end, it was an example of how baseball should be played, for the Sox, anyway. This is what the team needed, and I hope it turns things around.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2011, 11:23 PM
After 30 games:

2007: 15-15 4.5 out
2008: 14-16 1.5 out
2009: 14-16 3.0 out
2010: 12-18 7.5 out
2011: 11-19 9.5 out

They've got a long way to go although it was nice to get a win finally.

Lip

soltrain21
05-02-2011, 11:28 PM
They didn't get swept in a four game series at home. Good for them, I suppose.

Marqhead
05-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Eh. Win 1 out of 6? Not exactly lighting my world afire.

Let's look at the positive. They're 1 of their last 1.

I'll be freezing my ass off hoping for a W tomorrow.

johnnyg83
05-03-2011, 12:13 AM
good win. #56 with two great outings back-to-back

JB98
05-03-2011, 12:14 AM
The bad: Chris Sale pissed me the **** off tonight. Throw a goddamn strike!:angry: You were up 6-0!:angry:

When a young pitcher starts to struggle, he tends to overthrow his fastball instead of trusting his stuff. I think that's what is going on with Sale. He'd actually be better served to take a little something off instead of trying to throw the damn ball through a brick wall.

The old guard (Konerko and Buehrle) won this one for the Sox.

HaroMaster87
05-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Yea, it seemed like a normal baseball game. Not a complete and total suckfest.
And Sale...he couldnt have come into a game with less pressure on him than he did tonight and yet, he crapped his pants...today with all the 3-1 counts I suddenly blurted out "Right now, he looks like a left handed Mike McDougal" in more ways than one...

soxnut1018
05-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Good pitching + good defense = :bandance:

kaufsox
05-03-2011, 12:42 AM
A good win, and while they are still a long way back, I'm still not sold on the Indians, so let's get rolling!

Crooked Number
05-03-2011, 01:50 AM
So that is what winning feels like. Been a while. I see teams like the Rays and Redsox who were both seven and eight games under and have bounced back. No reason why this team can't.

Talent is there. Just a matter of getting back the mental edge they started out with. Win three or four in a row and it will do wonders.

soxfanatlanta
05-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Wait, they won?

Hitmen77
05-03-2011, 10:10 AM
The White Sox don't lose a game, the White Sox don't lose a game! :party:
So, have they finally bottomed out, or is our once a week win?

After 30 games:

2007: 15-15 4.5 out
2008: 14-16 1.5 out
2009: 14-16 3.0 out
2010: 12-18 7.5 out
2011: 11-19 9.5 out

They've got a long way to go although it was nice to get a win finally.

Lip

That's a rather discouraging trend in the last 5 years under Kenny, Ozzie and Walker. Players come and go, but same results. Let's dig ourselves in a big hole early in the season and then get hot during the interleague play period before falling apart in August.

ShooterMcGavin
05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Congrats on win #150 Buehrle!

Paulie with two dongs on the night. Start of a winning streak?

BringHomeDaBacon
05-03-2011, 11:19 AM
1 out of 4 against Baltimore at home

sweet

Shoeless_Jim
05-03-2011, 11:20 AM
A win? I only watch the White Sox when they are losing.

Ha, first time I have laughed in a while reading post game comments! :rolling:

Lip Man 1
05-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Rgearding Sale, Ozzie in the newspapers today said he's now concerned about him. A.J. insisted that the ball that hit Markakis actually hit the knob of the bat and that he never should have been awarded first base in the first place setting off the sequence of events.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
05-03-2011, 11:26 AM
:walnuts

"It feels good to feel good."

- Paul Konerko after the Sox won their final game at the God awful MetroDome in 2009.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Rgearding Sale, Ozzie in the newspapers today said he's now concerned about him. A.J. insisted that the ball that hit Markakis actually hit the knob of the bat and that he never should have been awarded first base in the first place setting off the sequence of events.

Lip

I fear that by shuffling everyone through the closer's role, they've ruined the mentality in that pen. Instead of confident and dominant setup men, it's a group insecure failed closers.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Looking back you wonder if the Sox shouldn't have just made Sale the closer right from the start because of this reason.

If you let Sale close and keep Thornton as the 8th inning guy, you are gambling with one player (Sale) since Matt was an All Star in his setup role.

But by moving Thornton AND making Sale the 8th inning guy, you are taking two chances. (One that Thornton could close and two that Sale could pitch the 8th inning.)

Lip

russ99
05-03-2011, 11:53 AM
When a young pitcher starts to struggle, he tends to overthrow his fastball instead of trusting his stuff. I think that's what is going on with Sale. He'd actually be better served to take a little something off instead of trying to throw the damn ball through a brick wall.

That's exactly what I saw last night. I was hoping A.J. was going to go out there and settle him down.

Maybe dropping him down to AAA for a few weeks is a good idea. How is Infante doing in Charlotte?

Also, I re-watched the game after getting home from the game and the ball definitely hit the bottom of the bat on the supposed HBP.

Crooked Number
05-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Also, I re-watched the game after getting home from the game and the ball definitely hit the bottom of the bat on the supposed HBP.

This didn't bother me as it's part of the game. I seem to remember a certain White Sox player benefiting from this in the '05 postseason. :cool:

It would have totally sucked if the two run homer would have tied or blown the game, but in this case it didn't. Calls go both ways, luckily this time the bad call didn't hurt us.

slavko
05-03-2011, 01:02 PM

When the system discovers and produces no talent and every year is GO FOR IT ALL, any young signees get brought up without minor league seasoning and wither on the vine at MLB level. We are a mess. Chris, join the crowd.

SI1020
05-03-2011, 01:48 PM
When the system discovers and produces no talent and every year is GO FOR IT ALL, any young signees get brought up without minor league seasoning and wither on the vine at MLB level. We are a mess. Chris, join the crowd. I agree and I will take it a step further. I've never been in favor of Chris Sale being in the bullpen. He should be groomed as a top of the line starter. Anything else is just wasting him IMO.

russ99
05-03-2011, 05:41 PM
When the system discovers and produces no talent and every year is GO FOR IT ALL, any young signees get brought up without minor league seasoning and wither on the vine at MLB level. We are a mess. Chris, join the crowd.

Which division winning team recently has developed so much talent and been able to keep those players?

Sure the Pirates and Royals of the world have a great farm systems, but what does that get them?

If there's a valid gripe here it's that Kenny is primarily acquiring big league players primarly well over 30 in his big deals instead of equally talented players under 27.

I also have zero issue with Sale in the pen. IF he's going to develop into an "top of the line starter" as so many assume, he'll need years in the minors to correct his mechanics and develop his pitches. IMO it's not a wasted pick if Sale ends up as a solid closer. Either way it's going to take work. He's neither right now.

slavko
05-03-2011, 05:43 PM
I agree and I will take it a step further. I've never been in favor of Chris Sale being in the bullpen. He should be groomed as a top of the line starter. Anything else is just wasting him IMO.

Groomed? GROOMED? GROOMED? We don't do groomed around here. Groomed is for teams with a minor league system.

Ruined sounds sorta like groomed, right? And there's nothing like taking a potential impact starter, making him a late inning reliever, and putting him in fail/fail situations to ruin him.

slavko
05-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Which division winning team recently has developed so much talent and been able to keep those players?

Twins? NYY? More than us? Almost anyone, really.