PDA

View Full Version : Lack of true stopper hurts bad

Big Hurt so good
05-01-2011, 03:52 PM
The White Sox are currently in the midst of their second extended losing streak in 2 weeks... and while Coop and his starters often get a pass, and they certainly aren't the MAIN problem... one thing this team lacks big time is a true stopper... that falls on KW...

Maybe Peavy is that guy, though he's never been overpowering and he really is a total wild card because we have no idea what to expect from the guy....

Buehrle isn't a stopper, really never has been... Jackson/Floyd are 3/4 at best in a rotation and Danks is a true 2 maybe 3 in a World Series rotation...

there is not one guy in our rotation who strikes fear into opposing teams, who you just know that barring disaster is going to get you a win every 5th day for the most part...

No Felix/Sabathia/Lee/Halladay/etc. etc. etc. and that falls on poor trading and signings by KW and really poor drafting to not develop a single guy like that for years...

hi im skot
05-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Okay.

gobears1987
05-01-2011, 04:08 PM
A stopper wouldn't help this team. The offense wouldn't score runs to help him or the pen would find a way to blow the lead.

Boondock Saint
05-01-2011, 04:10 PM
There's many more serious problems with this team than the lack of one go-to pitcher.

DirtySox
05-01-2011, 04:12 PM
This team doesn't need a stopper. It needs the offense to be revived from its coma.

SI1020
05-01-2011, 04:15 PM
This team doesn't need a stopper. It needs the offense to be revived from its coma. It needs both and more. We're looking at near total futility in all aspects of the game right now.

chisoxfanatic
05-01-2011, 04:32 PM
It needs both and more. We're looking at near total futility in all aspects of the game right now.
Pretty much. The starting pitching's been bad, the bullpen's been bad, the hitting's been bad, and the defense has been bad. There hasn't been a single aspect that has been a bright spot. I doubt Peavy's return will even help out.

I have never been this unamused with a Sox team in the over 20 years I've been following this team.

TDog
05-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Things have been so bad that it's been hard to isolate what's been bad. The defense, particularly dropped fly balls in the outfield have contributed to the bullpen being bad. The hitting started to slump appreciably after losing a series to the A's that they should have swept because the bullpen lost two games, only the first because of a dropped fly ball in left.

If the starting pitching is pressing because the team isn't scoring any runs, the offense is likely pressing because not enough runs have seemed enough.

A lot of things have gone wrong, but every pitcher, including the temporary fifth starter who was one of the concerns coming into the season, have shut teams down this season. The overall record doesn't reflect how bad things are going. Before the A's came to town, the White Sox had won six of their first nine games (and people were whining that they should have done better because five of those games were in Cleveland and Kansas City).

Maybe this team will be to the Indians what the 2005 Indians were to the White Sox, but without the six of seven losses at the end of the season to just miss the postseason. That might be wishful thinking, but it seems as likely now as Adam Dunn catching up to Brent Lillibridge in home runs on May 1 would have seemed a month ago.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2011, 06:22 PM
What this team needs in my opinion more than anything else (and I'm as serious as a heart attack ) is a date with a sports psychologist.

They are a complete mental wreck.

Lip

Big Hurt so good
05-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Wat this team needs in my opinion more than anything else (and I'm as serious as a heart attack ) is a date with a sports psychologist.

They are a complete mental wreck.

Lip

You are more right than you know... I talked with a few guys who cover the team last week and they all said the same thing... there is no loud leader, no one with fire to get the team excited and relieve pressure...

It's a team full of nice/fun guys which is cool when you're winning but not going through hell...

One other thing they pointed out is that there's a lot guys here who aren't winners and not used to pressure... dunn/rios/quentin has never played in the playoffs/beckham/morel... the guys who have won are more quiet as we've established...

they said once the saves were blown early and they were faced with adversity their tail went between their legs and they didn't know how to react

Daver
05-01-2011, 07:22 PM
You are more right than you know... I talked with a few guys who cover the team last week and they all said the same thing... there is no loud leader, no one with fire to get the team excited and relieve pressure...

It's a team full of nice/fun guys which is cool when you're winning but not going through hell...

The 2005 team didn't have one either.

Big Hurt so good
05-01-2011, 07:41 PM
The 2005 team didn't have one either.

Sure they did, they had a few by most accounts...

Everett was widely credited with this... Rowand to a lesser extent... and the hispanic guys say El Duque was that way for them

thomas35forever
05-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Sure they did, they had a few by most accounts...
Maybe, but nobody really on that roster really struck fear into the hearts of opponents. Let's face it. There weren't any future HOFers on that team except for the Hurt, who was hurt (no pun intended) for most of the year. Maybe Garland did because he got off to a hot start and Contreras because he finished so strong. Otherwise, I don't think we had any intimidating players.

Big Hurt so good
05-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Maybe, but nobody really on that roster really struck fear into the hearts of opponents. Let's face it. There weren't any future HOFers on that team except for the Hurt, who was hurt (no pun intended) for most of the year. Maybe Garland did because he got off to a hot start and Contreras because he finished so strong. Otherwise, I don't think we had any intimidating players.

In reference to that particular comment, I am not talking about striking fear into the hearts of opposing teams.... I mean guys in the locker room who would let others have it and light the fire under their butts...

If you're referring to the original topic of this thread, Jose Contreras became that stopper starting with his first start after the All-Star break of 2005 to his last start before All-Star break 2006

Daver
05-01-2011, 09:10 PM
If you want chemistry have Teahen carry a bunsen burner around in the dugout, he's not good for much else anyway.