PDA

View Full Version : If you want to fire KW, whom would you replace him with?

Viva Medias B's
05-01-2011, 12:13 PM
In spite of my opinion that change is probably not coming, we can still talk about whom we would want to replace Ken Williams should he depart. Since we have a thread like this going with Ozzie, we might as well have one for KW too.

If I were to replace KW, I would want someone who would make our farm system strong. I would also want someone who does not go to the clearance rack for free agents every offseason. While KW has occasionally landed good free agents, he usually goes to the clearance rack.

DirtySox
05-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Hahn.

JB98
05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Hahn.

Agreed. A very viable in-house option.

DirtySox
05-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Agreed. A very viable in-house option.

Widely considered one of the best GM candidates in all baseball. He's going to be hired soon by someone.

Viva Medias B's
05-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Would Hahn resurrect the farm system, though? Also, if they don't fire Williams but kick him upstairs, would Reinsdorf stop KW from being the Bob Pulford of the White Sox?

WhiteSox5187
05-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I'd love to see David Dombrowksi come back to the Sox. Hahn will also do.

SI1020
05-01-2011, 01:02 PM
I'd love to see David Dombrowksi come back to the Sox. Hahn will also do. I'd be happy with Dombrowski.

Danryan
05-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Ken Harrelson

roylestillman
05-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Ken Harrelsonhttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AXhWXW1FFeA/TEL78U5ZHaI/AAAAAAAAJuc/wGVENsOrHBw/s1600/the+hawk+wants+you.gif

SI1020
05-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Will he make AJ play in the outfield?

Daver
05-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Ditka.

SephClone89
05-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Ozzie.

Soxfest
05-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Lawn ornament will do.

PaleHoser
05-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Ken Harrelson

Teal implied, right?

Kim Ng, simply because it's outside the box.

The problem I see is that whoever inherits this mess would be completely hosed for three years. One of the reasons that KW has no choice but to "trust the talent" is because significant portions of remaining contract dollars would have to be eaten by the club to re-make the club.

I still think the best option is to make moves in the clubhouse. Ozzie and some coaches need to go. Fresh perspective, particularly from a proven, veteran manager may salvage this mess. New atmosphere, a different voice may get some veterans to turn things around enough to where they can be moved to fair value in return.

It's always easier to fire one manager than 25 players.

Parrothead
05-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I wish the whole scouting staff of the Florida Marlins would replace the Sox staff. At least Florida keeps finding kids that are good.

shingo10
05-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Hahn seems to be a good media schmoozer but I'm not really sure I'd want him as GM.

Honestly Kenny seems to at least on paper put a good product out there every year (2007 notable exception). I really don't fault him for what's been happening.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-01-2011, 05:07 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AXhWXW1FFeA/TEL78U5ZHaI/AAAAAAAAJuc/wGVENsOrHBw/s1600/the+hawk+wants+you.gif

Am I the only one who thinks he kind of looks like Owen Wilson in this pic?

Viva Medias B's
05-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I'd love to see David Dombrowksi come back to the Sox. Hahn will also do.

Dombrowski was the first name to pop in my head when I conceived this thread, but I wanted to see if anyone else would be on board with that before I said it.

asindc
05-02-2011, 01:49 PM
I'd be happy with Dombrowski.

Dombrowski was the first name to pop in my head when I conceived this thread, but I wanted to see if anyone else would be on board with that before I said it.

While I like Dombrowski (fellow Western Michigan alum) and I think he is a good GM, many Detroit fans would gladly give him to us if they could.

sunofgold
05-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Stone Pony

soxfanatlanta
05-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Can we get John Schuerholz out of the moth balls for a few years?

SI1020
05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
While I like Dombrowski (fellow Western Michigan alum) and I think he is a good GM, many Detroit fans would gladly give him to us if they could. Frank Lane literally rescued the White Sox from the scrap head of baseball. He was able to get Sherm Lollar, Nellie Fox, Billy Pierce and Minnie Minoso for next to nothing. It's hard to top that. Go to Cleveland and ask a die hard Indians fan my age or older about him and prepare to duck and hear a string of expletives. They never forgave him for trading their beloved Rocky Colavito. GM is a tough job and even the better ones make bad decisions. Dombrowski has had some success trading and building. On balance I like his record, and maybe coming home would do his heart good. Even if the Sox somehow make this a competitive year, major changes are needed and the sooner the better.

asindc
05-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Frank Lane literally rescued the White Sox from the scrap head of baseball. He was able to get Sherm Lollar, Nellie Fox, Billy Pierce and Minnie Minoso for next to nothing. It's hard to top that. Go to Cleveland and ask a die hard Indians fan my age or older about him and prepare to duck and hear a string of expletives. They never forgave him for trading their beloved Rocky Colavito. GM is a tough job and even the better ones make bad decisions. Dombrowski has had some success trading and building. On balance I like his record, and maybe coming home would do his heart good. Even if the Sox somehow make this a competitive year, major changes are needed and the sooner the better.

I don't disagree with anything you said, I'm just noting that a few Detroit fans I know feel like they haven't gotten their money's worth under Dombrowski.

tstrike2000
05-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Khan would certainly be happy with Hahn. Thinking of GM is kind of hard right now as half the coaching staff needs to go first.

tstrike2000
05-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Am I the only one who thinks he kind of looks like Owen Wilson in this pic?

A little, but to me looks more like Cledus "Snowman" from Smokey and the Bandit.

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't disagree with anything you said, I'm just noting that a few Detroit fans I know feel like they haven't gotten their money's worth under Dombrowski.

They went from a 113 loss team to a pennant in three years and have contended frequently under him.

asindc
05-02-2011, 03:07 PM
They went from a 113 loss team to a pennant in three years and have contended frequently under him.

I'm not the one you need to convince. They are not happy that they have never won the AL Central and have made the playoffs only once since he has been GM.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2011, 05:44 PM
If the Sox are going young and actually rebuilding the farm system than Dombrowski is your man. His track record with the Expos speaks for itself and to a certain extent the Marlins.

Lip

SI1020
05-02-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't disagree with anything you said, I'm just noting that a few Detroit fans I know feel like they haven't gotten their money's worth under Dombrowski. No everything is fine. I understood your point, I just wanted to discuss it further.

SlowMotion
05-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Here's some observations from this thread.

Lots of people seem to like Hahn as GM but no one is saying why? I'm genuinely curious as to what he has done to earn your respect and approval.

Others seem to like Dombrowski a lot, but what has he done? The Tigers are far from being a beacon of light in an AL central thats been one of the notoriously weakest in the league for a while.

gogosox675
05-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Here's some observations from this thread.

Lots of people seem to like Hahn as GM but no one is saying why? I'm genuinely curious as to what he has done to earn your respect and approval.

Others seem to like Dombrowski a lot, but what has he done? The Tigers are far from being a beacon of light in an AL central thats been one of the notoriously weakest in the league for a while.
At least for me, he has earned my respect because he has won every place he's been the GM. He helped shore up the Expos farm team that eventually had the best record in baseball in 1994. He took the Marlins from expansion club to world champions. I know he's only made the playoffs once with the Tigers, but the fact that people even talk about the Tigers today is a testament to his work. His track record is very good.

soxinem1
05-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Lot of good choices here, but the irony of picking Dombrowski is:

1. He had a hand in signing Kenny Williams. If KW were to be kicked upstairs KW would be HIS boss.

2. The guy who fired him is in the broadcast booth. Not sure if being fired by the team you rooted for as a kid and coming back will be all that effective.

Brian26
05-02-2011, 10:20 PM
ditka.

lol

Brian26
05-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Hahn seems to be a good media schmoozer but I'm not really sure I'd want him as GM.

That's, like, the complete opposite of the reality of the situation with Kenny and Hahn. Kenny usually is the face of the organization in interviews while Hahn is doing the dirtywork in the background.