PDA

View Full Version : If [teal] Ozzie gets fired [/teal], who should manage?

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2011, 08:36 PM
OK, so this is purely academic, because we all know that this organization values loyalty over excellence.

However, if Ozzie were to get fired, who would you WANT the Sox to hire as their next manager?

Foulke You
04-30-2011, 08:39 PM
I had this discussion with a friend recently and we just couldn't seem to put together a list of decent available veteran field managers. Larry Bowa? Bobby Valentine? Perhaps they promote from within? Buddy Bell maybe? I'm just throwing names out there.

SI1020
04-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Sometimes it's somebody you never heard of looking for that first opportunity, or someone that's failed and has learned from it. Someone that might not have been a good fit with another team. Now having said all that I offer no specific name. I like Joe Maddon but he isn't going anywhere.

DirtySox
04-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Not Joey Cora. Someone from outside the organization.

Foulke You
04-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Ryne Sandberg!

LITTLE NELL
04-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Who would want the job????????????

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Ryne Sandberg!

That's actually not a terrible idea. I think he might put more emphasis on fundamentals, which is what this team desperately needs.

The more I think about that, I'd be OK with Sandberg as manager, along with an experienced veteran bench coach who's willing to do it for 1-2 years, and then step aside for Omar Vizquel to become the bench coach.

Tragg
04-30-2011, 09:12 PM
There's no point in going outside the organization now because the Sox need a GM as much as a field manager and you just as soon let the new GM pick his manager.

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2011, 09:14 PM
There's no point in going outside the organization now because the Sox need a GM as much as a field manager and you just as soon let the new GM pick his manager.

Kick KW upstairs to team president. Promote Hahn to GM. Hire Himes and Goldis to run the scouting/drafting/development operation.

chisoxfanatic
04-30-2011, 09:26 PM
I don't know if he'd like to work in the clubhouse, but I'd love to have Frank Thomas join the coaching staff. If not the manager (which I would like), then at least the hitting coach.

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't know if he'd like to work in the clubhouse, but I'd love to have Frank Thomas join the coaching staff. If not the manager (which I would like), then at least the hitting coach.

Uribe seemed to hit best when Big Frank was nearby.

I'd also like to see Carlton Fisk have some kind of role.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2011, 09:44 PM
They'll let Cora do it until the end of the year. Then if they want to go young (more than likely) they'll bring in a younger guy trying to make a name for himself. Perhaps a 'hot prospect with potential' from someone else's minor league system.

Lip

DumpJerry
04-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Management by committee.

The committee is everyone at WSI who has been calling for Ozzie's head. It's called putting your money where your mouth is.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Dump:

If in some bizarre universe I got the opportunity, I'd accept the offer.

If you were able to read my post tonight in one of the threads you'll see where I gave my reasons for now saying that a change has to be made.

And you know I've been in Ozzie's corner on a consistent basis, but the past 48 hours have shown the Sox have crossed the Rubicon and something has to be done.

Lip

DirtySox
04-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Management by committee.

The committee is everyone at WSI who has been calling for Ozzie's head. It's called putting your money where your mouth is.

But how would we decide who gets to man the Magic Eight Ball™?

WhiteSox5187
05-01-2011, 01:30 AM
Dump:

If in some bizarre universe I got the opportunity, I'd accept the offer.

If you were able to read my post tonight in one of the threads you'll see where I gave my reasons for now saying that a change has to be made.

And you know I've been in Ozzie's corner on a consistent basis, but the past 48 hours have shown the Sox have crossed the Rubicon and something has to be done.

Lip

I am starting to turn against Ozzie too, but he hasn't been managing the past two games.

DSpivack
05-01-2011, 01:47 AM
This thread needs a poll.

wassagstdu
05-01-2011, 05:58 AM
Joe McEwing

Danryan
05-01-2011, 06:32 AM
Ozzie should stay, however I like David Martinez if the ax falls.

WSox597
05-01-2011, 06:54 AM
They'll let Cora do it until the end of the year. Then if they want to go young (more than likely) they'll bring in a younger guy trying to make a name for himself. Perhaps a 'hot prospect with potential' from someone else's minor league system.

Lip

Terry Bevington ring a bell? That type of manager we don't need. A no-name who works cheap just doesn't seem to work out too well.

I'd like to see a proven manager, and for that matter a proven GM for a change rather than a science experiment. There must be somebody out there who would like the challenge of rebuilding one of the worst farm systems in baseball.

kufram
05-01-2011, 07:42 AM
I had this discussion with a friend recently and we just couldn't seem to put together a list of decent available veteran field managers. Larry Bowa? Bobby Valentine? Perhaps they promote from within? Buddy Bell maybe? I'm just throwing names out there.

Kudos to you for at least coming up with names. Ryne Sandberg? Hmmm. It is important to remember we'd be hiring a manager not a great ex-player. How many really good managers were great mlb players?

This is at the heart of the Ozzie argument. Who do we get to replace him? Get a Joe Madden and I'm in. I'm also in the "if you're going to replace Ozzie then you've got to replace the entire staff including KW" category and you can't do that now. I might be all on my own on that one.

EMachine10
05-01-2011, 08:12 AM
AJ player/manager

tebman
05-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Management by committee.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YiB8q52MHbI/SpcdlYPD2rI/AAAAAAAAD4w/Cfr3QAE1D8g/s320/steal.jpg

soltrain21
05-01-2011, 09:10 AM

What makes you think Frank Thomas would be a good manager?

tstrike2000
05-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Not any of their other current coaches or former Sox players.

EnglishChiSox
05-01-2011, 09:47 AM
A short-list of names i'm throwing out there

Willie Randolph, Tony Pena Sr, Davey Martinez, Mike Gallego or Dave Magadan. These are people who know the AL and could make an immediate impact.

C-Dawg
05-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Mike Singletary!

dickallen15
05-01-2011, 09:57 AM
What makes you think Frank Thomas would be a good manager?
No doubt about it.

DickAllen72
05-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Joe Torre.

Bucky F. Dent
05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
A short-list of names i'm throwing out there

Willie Randolph, Tony Pena Sr, Davey Martinez, Mike Gallego or Dave Magadan. These are people who know the AL and could make an immediate impact.

I'd take Willie Randolph off that list. He got hosed by the Mets.

kufram
05-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Joe Torre.

If only.

EnglishChiSox
05-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I'd take Willie Randolph off that list. He got hosed by the Mets.

He did, but the Mets are the Mets, it was obvious that clubhouse was in a state of civil war, Latinos vs others, Veterans vs rookies. Randolph managing this team would do much better and he did have a good winning percentage over his tenure at the Mets. I think in a good situation he's a good a candidate as some others.

My favourite from that list would be Martinez, he's been around a brilliant organization for the last 4 years and looking at him as bench coach he seems to have the it factor when it comes to managing.

05-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Oney!

kittle42
05-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Uribe seemed to hit best when Big Frank was nearby.

I'd also like to see Carlton Fisk have some kind of role.

Coaching jobs for two of the more surly players in recent Sox history?

kittle42
05-01-2011, 12:30 PM
AJ player/manager

I'm actually more comfortable with the manager part for him than the player part.

Daver
05-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Ditka.

slavko
05-01-2011, 12:58 PM
AJ player/manager

Beat me to it. Vizquel could be a player/coach. Big Frank to replace Walker. Fisk would be a valuable addition to a staff. I suggest he contact the Red Sox immediately.

It's theraputic to speculate, but I don't see a change during the season. Ownership is loyal to a fault and this bunch gave him the thrill of his life. Unless Ozzie pulls a Lou and walks away from disaster.

soxinem1
05-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Kick KW upstairs to team president. Promote Hahn to GM. Hire Himes and Goldis to run the scouting/drafting/development operation.

DING, DING, DING, DING, we have a winner!!!