PDA

View Full Version : I Love Baseball, but...

Dub25
04-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Lets put aside any differences when it comes to Oz or KW or anything else with our beloved team. Lets talk about how bad it sucks when you wait all winter for baseball and the home town team performs like this...

Nellie_Fox
04-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Lets put aside any differences when it comes to Oz or KW or anything else with our beloved team. Lets talk about how bad it sucks when you wait all winter for baseball and the home town team performs like this...Not a chance. Too many posters want to find one or two people to blame it on.

Dub25
04-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Not a chance. Too many posters want to find one or two people to blame it on.

True, probaly should send this one to the roadhouse.

Noneck
04-30-2011, 12:52 AM
As I get older my summers become more valuable. Watching the Sox when they are competitive is part of summer fun for me. Baseball is not that exciting to me without the Sox.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Dub:

I feel your pain. When the Sox are playing like they are, I shut out the sport. I don't watch the newscasts, don't watch Chicago Tribune Live!...nothing and I certainly don't watch any baseball involving other teams.

If the Sox at the very minimum don't have a winning record, I don't care.

You look forward to it every year especially after a long damn winter (which is STILL going on in Idaho-woke up to snow on the ground today! Although it didn't last long...) and then to check the score night after night and see this garbage, this putred refuse that is going on.

It makes me sick to my friggin' stomach.

Lip

Dub25
04-30-2011, 12:57 AM
Dub:

I feel your pain. When the Sox are playing like they are, I shut out the sport. I don't watch the newscasts, don't watch Chicago Tribune Live!...nothing and I certainly don't watch any baseball involving other teams.

You look forward to it every year especially after a long damn winter (which is STILL going on in Idaho-woke up to snow on the ground today! Although it didn't last long...) and then to check the score night after night and see this garbage, this putred refuse that is going on.

Lip

Lip,

I think you need to move from Idaho... unless Napoleon Dynamite is your neighbor.

DirtySox
04-30-2011, 12:58 AM
Not going to happen. Thankfully.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2011, 01:00 AM
Dub:

Can't. Have spent too much time, energy and money on our home and my work for ISU is very good!

Lip

johnnyg83
04-30-2011, 01:04 AM
That's the rub, the fun afternoons, nights and mornings (reading the paper, watching highlights) of the summer dashed so quickly.

I've gone from watching the whole game on MLB.com to checking the score on my phone every inning or so .... they get much worse and I'll just check in when the game's over.

manders_01
04-30-2011, 01:07 AM
While I still make plans to watch each and every ballgame, and typically start out doing so, it's become somewhat commonplace for me to move the ballgame to the background on the computer screen while I surf the net. I don't want to be surfing the net, I want to be watching baseball. But it's just to painful to do so right now. :whiner:

Nellie_Fox
04-30-2011, 01:14 AM
I can still watch Sox games for their own nine-inning, three-hour self. I can enjoy individual game wins. I don't have to have a winning season, although it makes it a lot more fun. White Sox baseball has defined summer for me for so long, that I stick with it, even if I take to reading the newspaper while the game is on and just look up from time to time.

GoGoCrede
04-30-2011, 01:15 AM
While I still make plans to watch each and every ballgame, and typically start out doing so, it's become somewhat commonplace for me to move the ballgame to the background on the computer screen while I surf the net. I don't want to be surfing the net, I want to be watching baseball. But it's just to painful to do so right now. :whiner:

I feel like a bad fan, because while I usually always turn the game on, I'm always focusing on other things (like homework, which is legit).

JB98
04-30-2011, 01:20 AM
I can't stand to watch this team.

I watched only one of the four games vs. New York in its entirety, and that was the Wednesday game where I had TBGR duty for WSI.

I watched until the fifth inning tonight. I turned it off when it was 3-3. Knew they were going to blow it. Came back later and saw it was 8-4, turned it off again.

As soon as the Sox fall behind, I feel they have no chance.

DSpivack
04-30-2011, 01:21 AM
I can still watch Sox games for their own nine-inning, three-hour self. I can enjoy individual game wins. I don't have to have a winning season, although it makes it a lot more fun. White Sox baseball has defined summer for me for so long, that I stick with it, even if I take to reading the newspaper while the game is on and just look up from time to time.

This sounds like a much healthier attitude that I should adapt.

GoGoCrede
04-30-2011, 01:24 AM
I think part of my guilt over not watching games every day is that I'm a much more recent fan than most of the board and I don't want to make it seem like I'm a bandwagoner (a word I despise, but there it is).

DirtySox
04-30-2011, 01:24 AM
I love baseball. I will continue watching the Sox (albeit with less enthusiasm) as well as the Reds, and any other games that are televised. I don't really live or die with how teams perform anymore thankfully.

ChiSoxGal85
04-30-2011, 01:37 AM
Boy, does it suck. I'm just so damn disappointed. I'm barely watching the games and when I do watch I'm all sarcastic and cynical. I've stopped watching more than one game. That is NOT like me. I can't even watch MLB Network anymore because I don't want to hear about the Sox' woes.

But I'll probably still keep trying to watch. I have in the past, and I'm sure I will again. Because there's always the chance that they might turn it around.

This hurts because I was so hopeful about this season. Stupid me.

manders_01
04-30-2011, 01:39 AM
Boy, does it suck. I'm just so damn disappointed. I'm barely watching the games and when I do watch I'm all sarcastic and cynical. I've stopped watching more than one game. That is NOT like me. I can't even watch MLB Network anymore because I don't want to hear about the Sox' woes.

But I'll probably still keep trying to watch. I have in the past, and I'm sure I will again. Because there's always the chance that they might turn it around.

I think many on this board were. I know I was, and sort of still am. I personally believe (and yes, I sound like I'm channeling Hawk right now) that this team is filled with talent but for whatever reason, they are not playing to their potential. I do think it's possible that they will start to at some point. I just hope it's sooner rather than later or this is going to be one bleak summer.

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2011, 02:00 AM
It seems like anytime I need the Sox to provide a pleasant little distraction to my life, they let me down.

LITTLE NELL
04-30-2011, 06:25 AM
It's a horrible feeling to start out a season like this. This team has too much talent to continue this way but baseball I think might be more mental than the other major sports as there is a lot of time during a game to think about the bad things and players such as what I think is going on with Rios happen. Rios is taking his batting slump to the OF and its affected his fielding. In Hockey and Hoops the games are so fast so the thought process does not come into play, they are more of reaction sports. As a player of Golf and at one time tennis, those games are the same way, Golf is a head game and tennis is a reaction game.
Lets hope that the Sox don't dig themselves too big of a hole. 7 games under at this point can be made up in a week, but if we get to 15 under or so, the season is over.
As a far as a baseball fix, living in Florida I don't get to see the Sox much on TV so when they are on WGN I will still watch as I love the Sox no matter what. I also watch and pull for the Rays as they are on everynight and after a horrible start they are playing great ball right now. I also get the Marlin games, they are my NL team and are also playing great so all is not lost.

October26
04-30-2011, 07:42 AM
I think many on this board were. I know I was, and sort of still am. I personally believe (and yes, I sound like I'm channeling Hawk right now) that this team is filled with talent but for whatever reason, they are not playing to their potential. I do think it's possible that they will start to at some point. I just hope it's sooner rather than later or this is going to be one bleak summer.

I feel the same way, Manders. Every night I tune in to watch the Sox play and I hope that THIS will be the day that a long winning streak starts. The Sox keep teasing us ( after the first two wins in NY, I was thinking: here we go). And then the wheels fall off again. What is killing me is that I saw the Sox get off to a great start this year and the bullpen meltdowns occurred and then everything else seemed to fall apart.

Watching last night's game was the worst. - bad pitching, bad hitting, bad defense, and bad outcome - it is very frustrating to watch. I too love the White sox and so I'll be watching again today, wishing and hoping that today is the day they turn things around.

southside rocks
04-30-2011, 07:48 AM
I love baseball. I will continue watching the Sox (albeit with less enthusiasm) as well as the Reds, and any other games that are televised. I don't really live or die with how teams perform anymore thankfully.

I'm in this camp. I have had years when I lived and died with the White Sox, but this won't be one of those years. I'm very glad that MLB network was started, because now I can get enough baseball without having to pay for the Extra Innings package.

I'm very, very disappointed with the White Sox this April, but that doesn't kill my enthusiasm or love for baseball.

WSox597
04-30-2011, 07:56 AM
I'm a Sox fan, more than a baseball fan. It's difficult to watch them when they're playing like this, but my wife and I still turn the games on.

If I don't watch them, the next morning I check here or the Sox site to see how bad they lost. It's that bad right now.

It could change, the team has talent, but they'd better get with it before too much of the season has gone by. If not, we may hear a truck backing up around July 1st. (Beep, beep beep...)

hawkjt
04-30-2011, 08:57 AM
I watch,but the remote is my friend with the NBA playoffs and the NFL draft going. I hung in there last nite until the O's blew it open,then I went to the bb game.
I am praying they can get on a winning streak soon so that at least June-Aug is meaningful enough to draw me to the park for some fun times.
I will always watch the games,but attendance is more dependent on a competitive team. I hate going to the games a walking out hanging my head. Too painful.

delben91
04-30-2011, 12:42 PM

I agree with this, but I've gone from expecting great things at the start of the season, to being surprised when the Sox manage to avoid totally screwing the pooch on any given night.

I've gone from having a win lift my spirits and a loss lower them, to not really caring either way. I typically just check the score before bed or the next morning with no more reaction other than a "that figures" when I see they've lost to a "huh, blind squirrel found a nut" when they win.

I'll be thrilled if they turn it around, but I've tuned out the team enough that it won't wreck my day if the Sox put up a stinker out there.

MarySwiss
04-30-2011, 01:00 PM

I watched only one of the four games vs. New York in its entirety, and that was the Wednesday game where I had TBGR duty for WSI.

I watched until the fifth inning tonight. I turned it off when it was 3-3. Knew they were going to blow it. Came back later and saw it was 8-4, turned it off again.

I did the same thing, only I never checked back. I just knew it was going to be a loss.

I really hate it when they're playing like this. I still haven't purchased tickets for the series coming up in Phoenix, and I'm not sure I'm going to. :(:

bigsoxfan420
04-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Dub:

Lip

I couldn't have said it better myself. Totally agree.

MarySwiss
04-30-2011, 01:07 PM
I think part of my guilt over not watching games every day is that I'm a much more recent fan than most of the board and I don't want to make it seem like I'm a bandwagoner (a word I despise, but there it is).

Bandwagoner, fair-weather fan.... Crede, ignore people who say that ****. I hear it too--"You're such a big fan, sure, until they start losing."

These people are clueless. I don't stop being a Sox fan when they're losing, and the losses hurt like crazy. But I refuse to waste my time watching a team underperform. I turn the game on and watch it until I can't stand it anymore. Then off it goes.

I still think they'll turn this season around, and once they do, I'll be happily glued to the TV, just like many other Sox fans. That doesn't make us bandwagoners, IMO. That makes us sensible. :smile:

October26
04-30-2011, 01:31 PM

No way are you a bandwagoner (I too hate that word)! You care about the Sox as we all do - it's just hard to watch bad baseball. Hang in there & keep the faith and hopefully we will be celebrating White sox winners real soon. Oh and I really admire your devotion to Mr. Floyd :smile:

SI1020
04-30-2011, 01:38 PM
I think part of my guilt over not watching games every day is that I'm a much more recent fan than most of the board and I don't want to make it seem like I'm a bandwagoner (a word I despise, but there it is). You moved to Chicago and picked the Sox instead of the Cubs. Your posts show an interest in and knowledge of the team and the game. I think your reputation is safe.

October26
04-30-2011, 01:40 PM

I agree with everything you said here especially the part about being sarcastic and cynical. I don't recognize myself these days because I know this is not how I am. I keep thinking I'd better take a break from WSI and the Sox, but I keep coming back for more.

soxlady8
04-30-2011, 01:58 PM
It seems like anytime I need the Sox to provide a pleasant little distraction to my life, they let me down.

I agree with this statment ! I feel the same way !

soxlady8
04-30-2011, 02:06 PM
I hated watching the game last night , but I watched the WHOLE THING. When I was younger my dad and a good family friend (who was like an uncle to me ) told me to keep watching NO MATTER what happens because that is what a good fan does. I consider myself a good fan , but like all of you -- I am so frustrated !!!

I was happy that Johnny was up 3-0 but felt awful when the Birds caught up. In my stomache , I had a feeling it was over .

2009 was an ugly season , but I attended many games. I witnessed Burls perfecto. I plan to attend many games this year . There might be a gem or two in there this year and possibly we could turn it around. I might even go tonight !!

white sox bill
04-30-2011, 03:09 PM
I've always thought that one of the reasons the season is 162 games long (other than owner greed) is because the powers that be know that good teams play bad for a while and bad teams play good for while too. WHen the dust settles the best team is on top.

This season, although sucking right now, is far from over. The Sox playing like this gives me siome options to watch or do other things at night,

captain54
04-30-2011, 03:11 PM
I hated watching the game last night , but I watched the WHOLE THING. !!

"WHITE SOX BASEBALL 2011...IF YOU'RE A GOOD FAN, YOU'LL WATCH THE WHOLE GAME, NO MATTER HOW BAD WE SUCK!!"

I feel sorry for you.. I remember when I was a little kid my parents forced me to eat boiled ham at the dinner table even though it made me gag. So if feel your pain.

soxlady8
04-30-2011, 04:26 PM
funny funny funny Captain !!

TDog
04-30-2011, 04:53 PM
On the plus-side, I'm more productive when the White Sox aren't demanding more of my time. I'm much more productive in November through March when I simply don't have to worry about game results and their isn't anything demanding I watch on television.

Still, I probably watch more non-White Sox baseball than most people who post here. I watch more Giants games than White Sox games because Giants games are available, although they aren't playing well. I don't watch many A's games because I dislike the A's and their games are not much fun to watch.

And, really, I didn't expect the White Sox to win a lot of games in April. I don't watch and follow the White Sox because they win. I follow the White Sox because they're my team. Always have been. Always will be.

Red Barchetta
04-30-2011, 05:05 PM

This is pretty similar to my approach. I was just hoping the SOX would get off to a good start and keep me interested in winning baseball all season.

I felt this way last year, however the Blackhawks drive to the Stanley Cup kept me distracted enough and then luckily the SOX went on their run immediately after the Stanley Cup was won.

I'm hoping the Bulls can provide a similar distraction this season. I have certainly not given up on the SOX, however they need to turn this ship around soon!

shingo10
04-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Like so many have said the way the Sox are playing has really dampened any enthusiasm I have for the sport in general.

It's tough to not be able to be involved in caring about what happens within the division because at this point it doesn't make one bit of difference. It is also tough to realize that if things don't turn around this summer is going to maybe as unbearable as 2007 was.

That year there was no excitement for me until a few odd games in September. One of them the Sox gave up 6 runs to the Twins in the top of the 9th and came back with 6 in the bottom half of the inning to send the game to extras. And they eventually won. The other was the Thome 500th walk-off.

SoxFan1979
04-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Dub:

Lip

I'm with you Lip... It's just how a feel I can't help it. I wish I could watch them in bad times but I can't. I could care less about any other team either. I totaly shut baseball out. Thank god for the Bulls

Corlose 15
04-30-2011, 06:35 PM

This pretty much sums it up for me and I did pretty much the same thing for last nights game. This team is painful to watch.

fisk4ever
04-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Sadly, I still care. After waiting all winter, my hope is gone in 3 weeks.

Tune in late. Watch if 2-3 runs behind. Never expect to be in the lead. Remote around to ease the pain. Mute the sound due to Hawk. Turn off if the lead gets to 4... 3 with bases loaded. Skip the lowlights on newcasts. Go to bed a little ticked. Wake up and remember we lost last night. Skip the standings in the paper. Stay a little ticked all day. Can't even enjoy the cubs' losses. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Cap
04-30-2011, 08:55 PM
I agree! This was going to be my summer. I was going to go to more games than ever before. It hurts to even watch this team anymore. I feel like a horrible fan because I don't even care that I am missing watching so many games. It's a shame.

Watching baseball in general is fun, win or lose... but this is something crazy.

Jurr
04-30-2011, 09:25 PM
This stale product has gotten old. It didn't matter what the product was before 2005, because all I wanted to see in my lifetime was that black SI book with a Sox Championship on the front cover.

We now have all of that stuff. The WS hat is on the rack.

I still care a great deal, but when the entertainment value is in the gutter, I tune out quickly. I am no less a fan than the next guy, but my time is of enough value to myself that I don't want to waste it being frustrated by a bunch of guys that are my age, happy to have long term contracts. Fat and happy ballplayers make me sick, regardless of team.

I have better things to do than get upset about the performances of men that care a whole lot less than I do.

Domeshot17
04-30-2011, 09:35 PM
What sucks is this team doesn't seem to care that they are losing. Kenny with the same old speech, Ozzie talking about if he gets fired he doesn't care because he'll get his 2 million bucks, players making errors, lolly gagging after balls. Buehrle and Edwin Jackson making a combined 24 mil to have ERA's over 5 while Humber is pitching his ass off for us.

The lack of leadership and heart on this team just blows me away.

Jurr
04-30-2011, 09:49 PM
What sucks is this team doesn't seem to care that they are losing. Kenny with the same old speech, Ozzie talking about if he gets fired he doesn't care because he'll get his 2 million bucks, players making errors, lolly gagging after balls. Buehrle and Edwin Jackson making a combined 24 mil to have ERA's over 5 while Humber is pitching his ass off for us.

It is human nature to take your foot off the pedal when you have gotten where you dreamed to be. These players spent so much time and effort to get that wealth and security. It's the transcendent player that needs more.
The Sox front office lost sight of that balance. They built a team of players, fed them fat contracts, and hoped the desire would stay. Nope.

Whitesox029
04-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Sadly, I still care. After waiting all winter, my hope is gone in 3 weeks.

Tune in late. Watch if 2-3 runs behind. Never expect to be in the lead. Remote around to ease the pain. Mute the sound due to Hawk. Turn off if the lead gets to 4... 3 with bases loaded. Skip the lowlights on newcasts. Go to bed a little ticked. Wake up and remember we lost last night. Skip the standings in the paper. Stay a little ticked all day. Can't even enjoy the cubs' losses. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I agree on every point. It's so depressing to have waited with such optimism this winter only to have the team come out and fall on its face so hard. Even more depressing though is that it's going to be so long before this team has a new character, because I'm sick and tired of this one. I'm tired of not being able to throw out runners, tired of stranding men on base, and most of all, I'm tired of supposedly good players underperforming.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Thank God I've got my video tapes from better days and better years.

Lip

gogosox675
04-30-2011, 10:58 PM
I've always liked having the sound of a baseball game at my house and in my car. There's something about it that seems to define summer, no matter which team you're listening to or how bad they are. That's something that you can't get with any other sport. I'm sure I will have every Sox game either on the TV or the radio this summer.

Noneck
04-30-2011, 11:11 PM
It is human nature to take your foot off the pedal when you have gotten where you dreamed to be. These players spent so much time and effort to get that wealth and security. It's the transcendent player that needs more.
The Sox front office lost sight of that balance. They built a team of players, fed them fat contracts, and hoped the desire would stay. Nope.

Tell me who got these fats contracts and lost their desire. PK? Dunn? maybe, Rios? He had it last year and played ok, Quentin? Danks?Floyd? AJ was worse last year, Jackson is playing for a contract and technically so is Buerhle. Crain has been ok, I look at Thorntons contract as payment for services rendered. Also dont forget Thornton is no kid, throwing what he throws will take alot out of a pitcher even it it looks effortlessly.

The only player that may fit is Dunn but it is too early to say. Now if you want to talk about father time catching up with some, that is a real possibility.

DumpJerry
04-30-2011, 11:15 PM
See my new sig.

DirtySox
04-30-2011, 11:19 PM
See my new sig.

Approve.

tebman
04-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Bandwagoner, fair-weather fan.... Crede, ignore people who say that ****. I hear it too--"You're such a big fan, sure, until they start losing."

These people are clueless. I don't stop being a Sox fan when they're losing, and the losses hurt like crazy. But I refuse to waste my time watching a team underperform. I turn the game on and watch it until I can't stand it anymore. Then off it goes.

I still think they'll turn this season around, and once they do, I'll be happily glued to the TV, just like many other Sox fans. That doesn't make us bandwagoners, IMO. That makes us sensible. :smile:

Well put, Mary. To me, my relationship with the Sox is like that I'd have with an exasperating brother. He might do stupid things and sometimes let me down, but dammit, in the end he's still my brother.

Because I feel that way I'm not shy about saying that the Sox are bad when they're bad, and I'm delighted when they're good, which they have been and can be again. We have beers together and argue and enjoy each other's company.

Sounds dysfunctional, eh? :redneck

TDog
04-30-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm with you Lip... It's just how a feel I can't help it. I wish I could watch them in bad times but I can't. I could care less about any other team either. I totaly shut baseball out. Thank god for the Bulls

I am not questioning if anyone is a true fan. Words on a page don't reflect the inflection in my voice if I were saying things, and I don't want kneejerk assumptions of personal attack get in the way of my point.

I understand how someone can totally shut out a sport. Fortunately, I don't have a job that demands I pay attention to sports and I am able to completely shut out every sport but baseball. But I don't see how a true baseball fan can shut out baseball if their team isn't winning. Baseball isn't something you can understand if you only watch it when your team is winning.

GoGoCrede
05-01-2011, 12:15 AM

This is a nice post, Mary, I agree. I AM getting a lot more work done when I'm not watching the game as closely in the evenings.

No way are you a bandwagoner (I too hate that word)! You care about the Sox as we all do - it's just hard to watch bad baseball. Hang in there & keep the faith and hopefully we will be celebrating White sox winners real soon. Oh and I really admire your devotion to Mr. Floyd :smile:

Thanks. :smile: As for Floyd, he's very easy to love. Just a down-to-earth guy and a family man, can't ask for more than that.

You moved to Chicago and picked the Sox instead of the Cubs. Your posts show an interest in and knowledge of the team and the game. I think your reputation is safe.

:smile: I often wonder how it would be if I'd become a Cubs fan. I shudder at the thought (although it would be a lot more convenient, as I live a lot closer to Wrigley than the Cell).

Milw
05-01-2011, 12:18 AM
This would all be a lot easier to deal with if I felt like the players care about what's going on half as much as we all do. I'm sure some of them do, but on the whole, they don't seem to be showing any passion or heart--even interest--let alone urgency. Dammit if it doesn't make it that much more frustrating. :whiner:

Sunnydre
05-01-2011, 01:05 AM
:(:

chisoxfanatic
05-01-2011, 01:10 AM
I think I'm going to knock down more of my student loans this summer by paying more to the principal...I'll still watch games, but I'll only go if I have a free ticket or find something at a drastically reduced rate online.

Bob Roarman
05-01-2011, 01:44 AM

I agree 1000%. I mean, ever since 2005 ended, I think this team, this organization as a whole, they had no idea how to handle winning. None whatsoever. That was so obvious the year after, when they had the bullseye on them and every team geared up playing them. And now, this year, here they are again, unprepared for the season.

They can air commercials years past of being "grindy" and presently of being "All In" all they want, but none of these players worked hard in the offseason. Guys like Rios and Dunn weren't ready. Here they were thinking the division was just going to hand itself over to them and they got humbled. Hopefully next year they play like they give a ****.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2011, 10:43 AM
They will play like they give a ****...except it will be for another team because the Sox will be "going young."

Lip

EnglishChiSox
05-01-2011, 11:17 AM
I find it much easier to ignore the Sox over other teams. Thankfully i can sleep to avoid the horrors of live games and I watch whatever is on ESPN America in the evenings, I still love baseball but watching Sox games just gets me too irritated and frustrated to bother.

DSpivack
05-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I am not questioning if anyone is a true fan. Words on a page don't reflect the inflection in my voice if I were saying things, and I don't want kneejerk assumptions of personal attack get in the way of my point.

I understand how someone can totally shut out a sport. Fortunately, I don't have a job that demands I pay attention to sports and I am able to completely shut out every sport but baseball. But I don't see how a true baseball fan can shut out baseball if their team isn't winning. Baseball isn't something you can understand if you only watch it when your team is winning.

I don't completely shut them out, but I don't really look to watch a game, either. If I'm home and there's nothing better on, then I'll watch the Sox.

Thome25
05-01-2011, 03:57 PM
This team sucks. Classic case of a team that looks good on paper and not so good on the field.

KW ans JR stuck their necks out there and spent the $$$. The fans have been putting their money where their mouths are and have been showing up at the park. (They'e not selling out but, they've had some pretty decent April crowds from what I can tell.)

The players aren't holding up their end of the bargain.....which is heartbreaking.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2011, 06:26 PM
T-Dog:

I can answer your question very simply. I love the White Sox, not baseball...I root for the White Sox, not baseball, I care about the White Sox...not baseball.

That's how I can shut the sport out and off completely.

I can't even tell you who is in first place in any division right now (seriously) because I haven't read the baseball section of the local paper for two weeks plus now.

And until the Sox get back over .500 if they ever do, I don't intent to.

If I want a baseball fix I've got plenty of Sox audio and video tapes.

The past few days I've been enjoying a game from April 1981 on my computer.

Lip

TDog
05-01-2011, 07:45 PM
T-Dog:

I can answer your question very simply. I love the White Sox, not baseball...I root for the White Sox, not baseball, I care about the White Sox...not baseball.

That's how I can shut the sport out and off completely.

I can't even tell you who is in first place in any division right now (seriously) because I haven't read the baseball section of the local paper for two weeks plus now.

And until the Sox get back over .500 if they ever do, I don't intent to.

If I want a baseball fix I've got plenty of Sox audio and video tapes.

The past few days I've been enjoying a game from April 1981 on my computer.

Lip

My point is I don't see how you can profess to understand baseball if you only watch the White Sox and if you shut down baseball if they're winning. I don't understand how you can say this pitcher or this team "sucks" or this or that pitcher has no business beating the Sox if you ignore baseball unless you're watching the White Sox when they're winning.

I know there are Chicago-area people here who watch the Cubs when the Sox aren't playing. There are people who live out of the area who watch other teams as well as the Sox. I understand not being inspired to watch the postseason if the White Sox aren't in it. I've been there, but I've also watched the eliminated White Sox play game 162. I drove 250 miles to see the Sox play two days after what people call the white Flag Trade. Had I been able to share that at WSI at the time, I'm sure I would have been labeled an idiot by some for doing so. I've been a working professional photographer courtside at NBA games. I played other sports when I was a kid and had a hockey rink in my back yard in Munster. But I won't follow the Black Hawks (or the Sharks, which, I guess, is my local team) just because they are in the playoffs. Baseball is baseball. Everything else is just different takes on soccer up and down the court, field or pitch. If I'm watching a Black Hawks or a Bulls game, I damn well better be getting paid.

I'm not accusing you of not knowing what you're talking about. I was once scolded by a mod for telling someone he didn't know what he was talking about. I'm just curious how White Sox fans can profess to know what is right and wrong with their team if they shut out baseball because the White Sox are losing.

The baseball season is like a movie, and in that movie, you're going to see not just things you didn't expect, but things you have never seen before. You can leave early if you don't like the way it's going and stand outside and do something else while checking to see if things get good enough to resume watching. You can accuse the people who sat through the whole thing of wasting their time and money if it doesn't end well. It usually doesn't. Only one out of 15 teams makes it to the World Series, and one of them loses. It's a wonder people who believe that only winning the championship matters bother at all. But the people who sat through the whole thing will have derived some enjoyment along the way. They will have seen things they have never seen before and may never see again. The people who catch the highlights will completely miss the context that made them special. Following a losing baseball team isn't wasting your time.

Maybe White Sox baseball is like being hit in the head with a hammer, all those losses pounding you. The thing is, if you go away and come back when the pounding stops, it doesn't feel nearly as good when the pounding is over.

TomC727
05-01-2011, 07:52 PM
My point is I don't see how you can profess to understand baseball if you only watch the White Sox and if you shut down baseball if they're winning. I don't understand how you can say this pitcher or this team "sucks" or this or that pitcher has no business beating the Sox if you ignore baseball unless you're watching the White Sox when they're winning.

I know there are Chicago-area people here who watch the Cubs when the Sox aren't playing. There are people who live out of the area who watch other teams as well as the Sox. I understand not being inspired to watch the postseason if the White Sox aren't in it. I've been there, but I've also watched the eliminated White Sox play game 162. I drove 250 miles to see the Sox play two days after what people call the white Flag Trade. Had I been able to share that at WSI at the time, I'm sure I would have been labeled an idiot by some for doing so. I've been a working professional photographer courtside at NBA games. I played other sports when I was a kid and had a hockey rink in my back yard in Munster. But I won't follow the Black Hawks (or the Sharks, which, I guess, is my local team) just because they are in the playoffs. Baseball is baseball. Everything else is just different takes on soccer up and down the court, field or pitch. If I'm watching a Black Hawks or a Bulls game, I damn well better be getting paid.

I'm not accusing you of not knowing what you're talking about. I was once scolded by a mod for telling someone he didn't know what he was talking about. I'm just curious how White Sox fans can profess to know what is right and wrong with their team if they shut out baseball because the White Sox are losing.

The baseball season is like a movie, and in that movie, you're going to see not just things you didn't expect, but things you have never seen before. You can leave early if you don't like the way it's going and stand outside and do something else while checking to see if things get good enough to resume watching. You can accuse the people who sat through the whole thing of wasting their time and money if it doesn't end well. It usually doesn't. Only one out of 15 teams makes it to the World Series, and one of them loses. It's a wonder people who believe that only winning the championship matters bother at all. But the people who sat through the whole thing will have derived some enjoyment along the way. They will have seen things they have never seen before and may never see again. The people who catch the highlights will completely miss the context that made them special. Following a losing baseball team isn't wasting your time.

Maybe White Sox baseball is like being hit in the head with a hammer, all those losses pounding you. The thing is, if you go away and come back when the pounding stops, it doesn't feel nearly as good when the pounding is over.

Well Said. Baseball is baseball. Not as fun without the White Sox, but fun none the less. I watch the White Sox, win or lose, because that is my team. I watch other teams (cubs, Phillies, Yankees) because I love baseball.

SephClone89
05-01-2011, 07:56 PM

What he said.

guillensdisciple
05-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Well Said. Baseball is baseball. Not as fun without the White Sox, but fun none the less. I watch the White Sox, win or lose, because that is my team. I watch other teams (cubs, Phillies, Yankees) because I love baseball.

Going to side with Lip on this one, except not to the severity on the non care factor. I'll only pay attention to the Sox and only the Sox during the baseball season. THe other teams and how they play could matter less to me, and it is not because I don't care for the sport, but because the White Sox are my team and everyone else is just crap. I can't watch a game of anything and just be indifferent about it. That makes very little sense to me. Though I have never really ignored White Sox games whether they are crappy or good, I do know where Lip is coming from as I have seen myself struggle to watch the White Sox this year.

Does that mean I am any less of a fan? Absolutely not. Does it mean I am sick of the product on the field? Yes.

delben91
05-01-2011, 08:17 PM
They will play like they give a ****...except it will be for another team because the Sox will be "going young."

Lip

Yeah, because players have heart everywhere else in MLB except when they're on the Sox, then they instantly lose it until they leave, at which time they magically regain this "heart." The south side of Chicago just has that magical power...

Lip Man 1
05-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Del:

My response was to a poster talking about the team starting to play with heart. My point was by the time they play with "heart" they'll be past the trade deadline and the Sox will have traded them. It wasn't a comment about any other organization or the Sox organization..

But it is a fact that when a player is traded from a last place team to say a 2nd place team they do tend to have more enthusiasm and verve for playing. NOTHING sucks the life out of a player like being 18 games out in July. Anybody who tells you it doesn't is full of ****.

I talk to players and former players all the time. I know what they've told me.

--------------------------------------------------------

T-Dog:

I'm on the phone / e-mail a lot talking with the Sox front office, reporters, media guys, former players etc. (Just talked with Jeff Torborg a few weeks ago to get a sense of how a manager handles what is going on right now with the Sox...) All I can tell you is, trust me, I know a little about what is going on with this team. (and I'm not saying that to try to be arrogant) I don't need to watch the weekly Yankee - Red Sox lovefest on ESPN for example to know some things. And watching the rest of baseball don't give me any info about the Sox problems other than someones opinion. I'd rather talk to my sources who do know what's going on directly...they're in Chicago, they see these guys daily...not once every three weeks like a national talking-head. Thursday for example I've got a phone interview with a former Sox catcher who also spent time managing in the minor leagues, I'll get all the info I need on A.J.'s recent issues from him and a beat writer or two that I'll check with...I don't need Tim McCarver's opinion for example.

I guess if the Sox aren't having at least a "winning" season (which is always my ultimate bottom line) I just don't care. I don't enjoy anything baseball-wise but the Sox having a successful season. I've always been that way ever since I was little. (and the same goes for the Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks...) I'm about as provincial as they come I guess.

Lip

DirtySox
05-01-2011, 10:04 PM

I know there are Chicago-area people here who watch the Cubs when the Sox aren't playing. There are people who live out of the area who watch other teams as well as the Sox. I understand not being inspired to watch the postseason if the White Sox aren't in it. I've been there, but I've also watched the eliminated White Sox play game 162. Baseball is baseball.

I'm just curious how White Sox fans can profess to know what is right and wrong with their team if they shut out baseball because the White Sox are losing.

This is a good post. Fully agree.

TDog
05-01-2011, 11:15 PM
... T-Dog:

I'm on the phone / e-mail a lot talking with the Sox front office, reporters, media guys, former players etc. ...

And yet, no one told you that the Indians might have a pretty good team this year.

In one sense, we're all in this together. With the exception of the few trolls, our affection for the White Sox is what we have in common. It's why you can feel comfortable asking for and getting help from someone you often disagree with for help in lining up an interview. For the most part, we respect each other. Still, when things are going badly, we start to turn on each other.

We don't all show our love for the White Sox in the same way. Some of us have problems with the views of someone talking to people about problems with the White Sox while shutting out baseball.

But no disrespect is intended.

soltrain21
05-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Del:

My response was to a poster talking about the team starting to play with heart. My point was by the time they play with "heart" they'll be past the trade deadline and the Sox will have traded them. It wasn't a comment about any other organization or the Sox organization..

But it is a fact that when a player is traded from a last place team to say a 2nd place team they do tend to have more enthusiasm and verve for playing. NOTHING sucks the life out of a player like being 18 games out in July. Anybody who tells you it doesn't is full of ****.

I talk to players and former players all the time. I know what they've told me.

--------------------------------------------------------

T-Dog:

I'm on the phone / e-mail a lot talking with the Sox front office, reporters, media guys, former players etc. (Just talked with Jeff Torborg a few weeks ago to get a sense of how a manager handles what is going on right now with the Sox...) All I can tell you is, trust me, I know a little about what is going on with this team. (and I'm not saying that to try to be arrogant) I don't need to watch the weekly Yankee - Red Sox lovefest on ESPN for example to know some things. And watching the rest of baseball don't give me any info about the Sox problems other than someones opinion. I'd rather talk to my sources who do know what's going on directly...they're in Chicago, they see these guys daily...not once every three weeks like a national talking-head. Thursday for example I've got a phone interview with a former Sox catcher who also spent time managing in the minor leagues, I'll get all the info I need on A.J.'s recent issues from him and a beat writer or two that I'll check with...I don't need Tim McCarver's opinion for example.

I guess if the Sox aren't having at least a "winning" season (which is always my ultimate bottom line) I just don't care. I don't enjoy anything baseball-wise but the Sox having a successful season. I've always been that way ever since I was little. (and the same goes for the Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks...) I'm about as provincial as they come I guess.

Lip

Watching your team only when they are good sounds, oh, I don't know. Pretty fairweather. Actually, from your post, you don't even sound like a fan at all.

Who cares if you are "in the know" with beat writers and former players? You say you aren't trying to sound arrogant, but it came off as pretty arrogant.

Bob Roarman
05-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Hey Lip, since you're "in the know" with beat writers and some members of the coaching staff, you mind posting up a different interview on the main page so we can get David Haugh's pork chop ugly face off there?

AnkleSox
05-02-2011, 12:58 AM
I'm happy that I've been very busy and have things to occupy my time with this summer other than this miserable excuse for a major league team. That being said, I've always made time to watch the Sox no matter how busy I am. This year has been a lot different. I'm no fairweather fan but I can't find the patience anymore to follow this team with all my heart like I used to.

I still plan on going to 15+ games this season but I can't let myself get stressed out about this team. At this point I'm just shaking my head and laughing. If the Sox are good, baseball is about all I care about. When they're bad, I'll still support them, but there are a ****load of other things I can find to help me enjoy summer. And I'd rather enjoy it than devote a bunch of time and money to a team that doesn't even seem to be trying.

SephClone89
05-02-2011, 12:00 PM
The rest of baseball helps get me out of a depression if the Sox are bad. Especially since I have mlb.tv now...I love things like seeing if Ethier can extend his streak, or watching some of the dominant pitchers. I'm shocked that someone in the media, like Lip, can have no interest in the game.

As TDog said, what the hell kind of right do you have to talk about how certain players are "no good" then?

Lip Man 1
05-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Bob:

George Bova (Pale Hose George) has had an extensive audio interactive piece of mine reviewing the decade of the 1980's for some time now.

I can't explain what the delay is or why.

That's something you'll have to ask him about.

Because he had that piece and because of my work broadcasting Idaho State, I decided to not do another piece until the ISU season was over.

I had scheduled three weeks ago an interview with a former Sox player which was delayed because something came up at his end. It's been rescheduled for this Thursday.

I'll put it together and get it to George as soon as possible but like with the 1980's story, when they are published is outside of my control.

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Seph:

First off I rarely do that.

Second, I get enough information to make judgments based on talking to people who know better than I do what's going on (you know people who actually make their living through the game) and by watching the WGN highlights. I'll even review a game on tape if the Sox actually win it.

Third, again it's really not that difficult a concept Seph, I DON'T CARE ABOUT EITHIER or the Dodgers or the Brewers or the new kid pitcher in Seattle.

I care about the CHICAGO WHITE SOX.

And as most other folks have already posted I have better things to do with my time right now then watch them fall all over themselves in embarrassment.

Even without directly watching them that much, I'll wager that I spend more time in a week on the franchise than you do between reading the papers, making my phone calls and doing my research. Plus this week as I told Bob Roarman I've got another interview lined up.

Lip

soltrain21
05-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Seph:

First off I rarely do that.

Second, I get enough information to make judgments based on talking to people who know better than I do what's going on (you know people who actually make their living through the game and by watching the WGN highlights. I'll even review a game on tape if the Sox actually win it.

Third, again it's really not that difficult a concept Seph, I DON'T CARE ABOUT EITHER or the Dodgers or the Brewers or the new kid pitcher in Seattle.

I care about the CHICAGO WHITE SOX.

And as most other folks have already posted I have better things to do with my time right now then watch them fall all over themselves in embarrassment.

Even without directly watching them that much, I'll wager that I spend more time in a week on the franchise than you do between reading the papers, making my phone calls and doing my research. Plus this week as I told Bob Roarman I've got another interview lined up.

Lip

So you base your judgement by just talking to other people and not actually watching unless the team wins? Classic.

And as for your last paragraph. Dude, you sound like a total ass right now. Stop gloating. You interview old players and people in the front office. Big deal. You are really trying to come off that you think you are better than all of us. You aren't.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Sol:

One thing I'm not is arrogant. There's nothing to "gloat" over. I try very hard not to stoop to that level, I get royally pissed off occasionally around here but generally I try to be respectful and polite unlike some others.

I'm getting angry right now with some of your comments so I'll just say that if you don't like the way I do things, what I say, who I speak with or how I live my life, feel free to put me on 'ignore'.

Frankly I don't give a tinker's cuss what you think one way or the other anymore. I'll watch enough of the Sox to know what's going on but I'm not going to slave over seeing them play miserably.

I'll leave it at that.

Lip

SephClone89
05-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Just out of curiosity though, do you ever watch the playoffs?

Lip Man 1
05-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Seph:

Unless the Sox are in one I don't watch much. I'll catch an inning here or there, see the highlights at night but that's it.

Frankly I'm tired and bored seeing the Red Sox - Yankees year after year after year in them. If I watch anything in the playoffs it is usually more in the N.L.

Generally though come October if the Sox have had a losing year the last thing I want is more baseball reminding me of how bad they were. It's also football season and I'm usually tied up with ISU stuff.

Lip

hi im skot
05-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Just seems kind of risky to make assumptions about the team by leaning on information from Mark Gonzales or someone towing the company line in the front office.

No matter how much time you spend talking with beat writers or White Sox employees, I think you're probably in a much better position to pinpoint the team's strengths and shortcomings if you actually watched the games.

Just my opinion.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Skot:

And I appreciate that line of thinking and the way it was presented. (Seriously, not being sarcastic...)

Skot for what it's worth I talk with a lot of folks not just two or three. I'm very lucky to somehow have made these connections and people seem to like talking to me. Maybe because I love the White Sox, have been in the media for over 30 years and that gets across to them. I hear a lot of things and you'd be surprised how often some of the folks in the front office say some things that are not the company line.

Maybe I presented this wrong and that's caused the confusion. If so, that's on me. It's not like I'm not seeing / reading anything about the Sox because they are nine games under (and falling fast). I'll see the highlights, I'l even scan through a taped game on WGN...but I'm not going to sit there for three hours every night and see them go through the motions.

I don't have the time and I'm not a sadist.

I'll start watching again more if (when) they get back over the .500 mark because to me that's ALWAYS been my 'bottom line.' At the very least this franchise should be able to do that.

I'll see enough to know if so and so is struggling, if so and so is giving off indications they don't care. I use that with the opinions I get from others to make my opinions.

And like I told Sol I love the White Sox, not necessarily baseball and when "my" team is having an awful year the last thing, the very last thing I want to do is watch some other team doing well...I'd rather watch tapes from years past. Again I'm being dead serious, at least I get some enjoyment out of those.

Lip

soltrain21
05-02-2011, 01:00 PM
I probably came off harsher than I meant to. I was just rubbed the wrong way about the "I spend so much more on this team than you do" line.

I guess I'm just far more a baseball fan than a Sox fan, and I can't really imagine just following a team instead of enjoying the sport. Sounds miserable given the Sox history.

Brian26
05-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Seph:

Unless the Sox are in one I don't watch much. I'll catch an inning here or there, see the highlights at night but that's it.

That's just something I've never understood.

My thought is that watching the postseason when the Sox aren't there (which was pretty much my entire childhood except for '83) helps you appreciate how special it is when they do make it.

And there have been a lot of great memories from the playoffs that I'm glad I was able to see happen.

MinnieMinoso
05-02-2011, 01:27 PM
I guess I thought I was the only one who felt like you do Lip Man. I am 75 years old and always was only interested in the Sox and other Chicago teams. When I was a kid in the 1940's, the Sox were a pretty sad collection of players. I knew they were not good but always rooted for them and was happy when they won. I listened to every game on the radio and when TV came on the scene, I would go to a neighbor's house and watch the games. I was rabid and enthusiastic as they got better in the 1950's and lived and died with every game. When I got married I was a pain in the you know what when they lost. I drove my poor wife to distraction yelling and scaring her when they did something good and acting like a jerk when they lost. I was happy for 1959 and 2005, but even in 2005 I was beginning to not watch when they almost blew the big lead they had. My wife died in 2008. After she died I began to realize that I have been getting my heart broken over and over again by an organization that never seems to get it right. I have listened very little in the last month. I turned the game on yesterday to hear Floyd balk a runner to second and pay no attention as he trotted to third. Off went the radio. I can't listen to crap like this any more. I still love baseball as played by the Sox, but the last few years have been a broken record.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Brian:

No worries. I respect the way you do things. That's just the way I am and like I said seeing Red Sox - Yankees, Yankees - Red Sox year after year after year gets very old to me.

Someday maybe if neither team makes it one year, I'll have interest again in watching the A.L. postseason.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
05-02-2011, 01:56 PM
I watch pretty much every Sox game I can, win or lose, but rarely watch any other games. I guess I'm just a Sox fan, and not a general baseball fan.

It's not summer without White Sox baseball, and I've sat through some abysmal seasons.

kufram
05-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Skot:

And I appreciate that line of thinking and the way it was presented. (Seriously, not being sarcastic...)

Skot for what it's worth I talk with a lot of folks not just two or three. I'm very lucky to somehow have made these connections and people seem to like talking to me. Maybe because I love the White Sox, have been in the media for over 30 years and that gets across to them. I hear a lot of things and you'd be surprised how often some of the folks in the front office say some things that are not the company line.

Maybe I presented this wrong and that's caused the confusion. If so, that's on me. It's not like I'm not seeing / reading anything about the Sox because they are nine games under (and falling fast). I'll see the highlights, I'l even scan through a taped game on WGN...but I'm not going to sit there for three hours every night and see them go through the motions.

I don't have the time and I'm not a sadist.

I'll start watching again more if (when) they get back over the .500 mark because to me that's ALWAYS been my 'bottom line.' At the very least this franchise should be able to do that.

I'll see enough to know if so and so is struggling, if so and so is giving off indications they don't care. I use that with the opinions I get from others to make my opinions.

And like I told Sol I love the White Sox, not necessarily baseball and when "my" team is having an awful year the last thing, the very last thing I want to do is watch some other team doing well...I'd rather watch tapes from years past. Again I'm being dead serious, at least I get some enjoyment out of those.

Lip

I can understand your position. I loved to play baseball (those days have passed) and I was pretty good at it, but when it comes to watching or following the game I am strictly a White Sox fan. I simply do not care what else is going on. When the Sox are playing this poorly it is just too painful to watch sometimes... but I'll still hope for the turnaround.

Maybe it is better put this way for other people to understand. I've always had dogs. I love my dogs. Other peoples dogs are almost an indifference. When my kids were young I loved children.... errr my children. Ok, I liked their friends, well some of them, but I wasn't sad when they went home!

Nellie_Fox
05-02-2011, 02:28 PM
The university baseball team (http://www.msumavericks.com/index.aspx?path=baseball&)is EXTREMELY good, but I've never gone to one of their games. Yeah, they're Division II, but the Gophers stopped scheduling them for non-conference because the Mavericks always kicked their butt. Part of it is because I can't stand aluminum bats, but part is because if the White Sox aren't involved, I'm just not that interested.

SephClone89
05-02-2011, 02:31 PM
The university baseball team (http://www.msumavericks.com/index.aspx?path=baseball&)is EXTREMELY good, but I've never gone to one of their games. Yeah, they're Division II, but the Gophers stopped scheduling them for non-conference because the Mavericks always kicked their butt. Part of it is because I can't stand aluminum bats, but part is because if the White Sox aren't involved, I'm just not that interested.

Fair enough. For some reason, baseball seems to be the one sport that people just don't at all enjoy watching at the lower levels. Any speculation as to why that is?

October26
05-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I guess I thought I was the only one who felt like you do Lip Man. I am 75 years old and always was only interested in the Sox and other Chicago teams. When I was a kid in the 1940's, the Sox were a pretty sad collection of players. I knew they were not good but always rooted for them and was happy when they won. I listened to every game on the radio and when TV came on the scene, I would go to a neighbor's house and watch the games. I was rabid and enthusiastic as they got better in the 1950's and lived and died with every game. When I got married I was a pain in the you know what when they lost. I drove my poor wife to distraction yelling and scaring her when they did something good and acting like a jerk when they lost. I was happy for 1959 and 2005, but even in 2005 I was beginning to not watch when they almost blew the big lead they had. My wife died in 2008. After she died I began to realize that I have been getting my heart broken over and over again by an organization that never seems to get it right. I have listened very little in the last month. I turned the game on yesterday to hear Floyd balk a runner to second and pay no attention as he trotted to third. Off went the radio. I can't listen to crap like this any more. I still love baseball as played by the Sox, but the last few years have been a broken record.

I want to sincerely thank you for posting this comment. I believe that there is much that I can learn from you. I hope that you will post more of your experiences as a lifelong Sox fan here on WSI.

FarmerAndy
05-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Everybody certainly has the right to watch the game as much/little as they want, and to care/not care about anything as they please. So the following is how I feel, not an attack on you if you feel different........

I just can't wrap my head around the concept of being a die-hard White Sox fan, but not caring about baseball otherwise. Because the White Sox play baseball, it just seems logical to me that you must have an interest in the game itself in order to enjoy the White Sox.

It bums me out when the Sox aren't good. As a fan, it's frustrating.

But if you don't find it interesting to see something like a Roy Halladay vs. Josh Johnson matchup when it's on national television, then you simply don't like baseball. And if you don't like baseball, how can you like the White Sox? It's like saying you love every Elvis Costello record, but you don't like music.

SI1020
05-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Fair enough. For some reason, baseball seems to be the one sport that people just don't at all enjoy watching at the lower levels. Any speculation as to why that is? My wife and I love watching, listening to and attending South Carolina Gamecocks baseball games. The White Sox could learn a few things from them about executing the fundamentals of baseball. Of course I am not suggesting that NCAA Division 1 baseball is the equal of the pros, but coach Ray Tanner has these young men playing smart baseball. Interestingly, Coach Tanner played under Sammy Esposito at North Carolina State and succeeded him as head coach when he retired. His son and namesake Sammy Esposito (haven't seem him listed as Jr.) is currently on Tanner's staff at South Carolina. I love the Sox, but I also love the game and watch and listen to it as much as I can. I am in no way criticizing posters here who step away from it all when the Sox are as awful as now. Even at my age the Sox are able to affect my mood and outlook on life a lot more than they should.

Daver
05-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Fair enough. For some reason, baseball seems to be the one sport that people just don't at all enjoy watching at the lower levels. Any speculation as to why that is?

I watch more HS and college baseball than I do pro.

MeteorsSox4367
05-02-2011, 03:12 PM

I'm enough of a baseball nerd that I'll pretty much watch anything. I work at a high school and one of my nephews is now playing, so I'll gladly watch high school baseball.

As for college baseball, I've been a fan for quite a while. I've had cable for 25 years and I think being able to watch the College World Series on ESPN helped increase my interest in college baseball.

I've actually been fortunate enough to have been in Omaha twice for the CWS and Rosenblatt and the whole CWS experience was amazing.

seventyseven
05-02-2011, 03:17 PM
For several reasons, I have not watched a full Sox game on TV since the 2008 playoffs. Nothing I see in this current team motivates me to break that streak.

Nellie_Fox
05-02-2011, 03:22 PM
But if you don't find it interesting to see something like a Roy Halladay vs. Josh Johnson matchup when it's on national television, then you simply don't like baseball. And if you don't like baseball, how can you like the White Sox?And now you're judging people after saying you weren't going to. I played baseball pretty much every day when I was a kid. I watch White Sox baseball religiously. I just don't enjoy watching any sport when I don't care about the outcome of the game. I get bored.

Don't let what others do bother you. It has no effect on you.

TDog
05-02-2011, 03:37 PM

The sound of aluminum bats takes some getting used to, but having played with an aluminum bat in my 40s and 50s, I find the sound not so bad. Really, if you have other things going on, sports is an effort you don't want to make. I told myself I can't watch anyone play anything I don't have a rooting interest in, although one Saturday morning in Palo Alto last year when I was waiting for a book sale to start, I was enthralled by a couple innings of a youth league game. It was really fun to watch these kids chasing down fly balls and bunting for hits. And I've been to a lot of minor league games and quite a few major league games in which the White Sox weren't playing. Baseball, unlike other sports and games, is something I can immerse myself into mentally.

Maybe in their reach for a broad appeal, other sports have diminished the need for mental appreciation of the game by becoming more escapist. How many NHL teams are in cities where kids don't grow up playing hockey? The designated hitter, increased emphasis on home runs and strikeouts (for pitchers, not against batters), expanded playoffs and video games have probably dumbed down baseball, or at least made it something that is only about winning and losing. Fewer kids play baseball for a few reasons, including the fact that is so difficult to play well.

The late Jean Shepard said famously talked about how if you were in a war and needed men for a desperate mission that needed to be done, you would look for White Sox fans. Of course, we're in the minority. Even in Chicago, we're in the minority, although we console ourselves by saying more real baseball fans are White Sox fans while showing disdain for the casual Cubs fans. But being a real baseball fan requires mental energy for six months (eight if you care about spring training and the postseason). There was a Star Trek series in which the commander was a baseball fan, long after the human race had pretty much given up on the sport. While it's a depressing vision of the future, it defined the character as a smart, tenacious man you didn't want to mess with.

I have really found myself enjoying Giants baseball since moving to NoCal, although I wear one of my White Sox hats to the games I've attended. And while the White Sox are, what, 4-15 since getting off to a 6-3 start, if I wouldn't have watched the nationally televised game last week with the Lillibridge ninth, there would be a gap in my life that the highlights wouldn't come close to filling.

kittle42
05-02-2011, 03:42 PM
I watch more HS and college baseball than I do pro.

I show up to parks to watch little league baseball. I am now not allowed to come within 500 feet of a park.

FarmerAndy
05-03-2011, 10:29 AM
And now you're judging people after saying you weren't going to. I played baseball pretty much every day when I was a kid. I watch White Sox baseball religiously. I just don't enjoy watching any sport when I don't care about the outcome of the game. I get bored.

Don't let what others do bother you. It has no effect on you.

I never said I wasn't going to judge. EVERYBODY judges. I said I wasn't going to attack anybody for how they choose to be a fan. I was simply stating that I can't wrap my head around the idea of not enjoying great games or matchups with great players simply because they aren't wearing a certain uniform. To me, following what I see as sensible logic, it just doesn't add up to somebody who really likes the game of baseball. Is that a judgement? Absolutely. But I still respect your right to see it differently and enjoy the game however you see fit. I'm not attackng you or anybody else. I'm just stating my thoughts (or judgements, if you will), just like everybody else.

And I don't really let what others do bother me all that much. Of course it has no effect on me. But I enjoy stating my opinion sometimes, just as you do. And sometimes a little debate back and forth is stimulating to the brain. If it wasn't, there probably wouldn't be so many people on this here message board.

Nellie_Fox
05-03-2011, 01:24 PM
I never said I wasn't going to judge. EVERYBODY judges. I said I wasn't going to attack anybody for how they choose to be a fan. I was simply stating that I can't wrap my head around the idea of not enjoying great games or matchups with great players simply because they aren't wearing a certain uniform. To me, following what I see as sensible logic, it just doesn't add up to somebody who really likes the game of baseball. Is that a judgement? Absolutely. But I still respect your right to see it differently and enjoy the game however you see fit. I'm not attackng you or anybody else. I'm just stating my thoughts (or judgements, if you will), just like everybody else.

And I don't really let what others do bother me all that much. Of course it has no effect on me. But I enjoy stating my opinion sometimes, just as you do. And sometimes a little debate back and forth is stimulating to the brain. If it wasn't, there probably wouldn't be so many people on this here message board.Okay, it's just that as someone who almost never watches a game not involving the White Sox, I had to react to the idea that I can't like baseball then.

DSpivack
05-03-2011, 04:07 PM

By lower levels I assume you mean college/high school and not minor leagues?

Dub25
05-04-2011, 11:39 PM
I think I'm going to knock down more of my student loans this summer by paying more to the principal...I'll still watch games, but I'll only go if I have a free ticket or find something at a drastically reduced rate online.

At this rate a reduced price shouldn't be a problem... starting with the next home stand.

doublem23
05-04-2011, 11:48 PM
At this rate a reduced price shouldn't be a problem... starting with the next home stand.

Yeah if you're willing to sit in the Upper Deck, tickets are already below the $10 mark for some games.

Dub25
05-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Yeah if you're willing to sit in the Upper Deck, tickets are already below the $10 mark for some games.

Maybe they should do like the idiots on the Northside and have $3 Miler's up there. Of course, security would be needed like they will be needed in Wrigley for $3 Bud night but at least the attendance will be better...