PDA

View Full Version : Cubs bad marketing idea

DumpJerry
04-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Discounted beer in the Bleachers at the Urinal. (http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.com/business/cbsports-cubs-to-offer-discounted-beer-hot-dogs-in-bleachers-20110429,0,5154725.story)

They drink beer non-stop there already, so how will this increase revenue? They are the greatest fans in baseball, so how can they increase ticket sales?

ewokpelts
04-29-2011, 03:45 PM
the cubs NEED to have full seats in the bleachers. that's why thier discount codes only apply to the bleachers.

a flawed strategy. but they did it to themselves

Irishsox1
04-29-2011, 04:04 PM
It was bound to happen eventually. The Cubs fans/enablers would stop showing up when an inferior product was put on the field. Too bad Tom Ricketts is a buffoon because it's only going to get worse.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae231/rocknrolla2/Ricketts.jpg

SI1020
04-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Discounted beer promotions in baseball usually end up badly.

gobears1987
04-29-2011, 05:40 PM
But Ten Cent Beer Night went so well in Cleveland!

Fenway
04-29-2011, 05:49 PM
But Ten Cent Beer Night went so well in Cleveland!

The press release

Chicago Cubs and Bud Light introduce the Bud Light Bleacher Series (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110429&content_id=18392774&vkey=pr_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc)

dickallen15
04-29-2011, 06:20 PM
If the Sox did this we would applaud and post about how management gets it. The economy is bad, they still make money on $3 beers, but now you can drink 15 and not have to take out a loan..............I see nothing wrong with it. They have had trouble filling the bleachers lately. Now they will be packed.

soltrain21
04-29-2011, 06:55 PM
If the Sox did this we would applaud and post about how management gets it. The economy is bad, they still make money on $3 beers, but now you can drink 15 and not have to take out a loan..............I see nothing wrong with it. They have had trouble filling the bleachers lately. Now they will be packed.

I drink. I like to have a good time. But who in the hell drinks 15 beers at a game!?

kittle42
04-29-2011, 07:09 PM

Oh, I think it's a great idea, and agreed that of course we would applaud something similar from the Sox.

TommyJohn
04-29-2011, 08:15 PM

I love stuff like this, really. How the heck do we know how people would react? Seriously. There are many Sox fans who hate half-price Mondays and IL games with the Cubs because of the number of morons they attract, so how can you say that all would think this was a great idea? Puh-leeeeze!

Brian26
04-29-2011, 08:16 PM

I'm not so much bothered by this at Wrigley because the bleachers are exclusively an adult section and are separated from the rest of the park (at least, as far as I know...maybe this has changed recently). So, if people want to act like ass clowns, at least it's confined to one section in the park.

Hotdogs and t-shirts are a fine idea. $3 beer at the Cell? No thank you. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

voodoochile
04-29-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm actually surprised they can get away with this. Chicago had rules regarding discounted alcohol when I worked in restaurants there.

Basically if you severed a product at a given price you had to offer it open to close from the front of the house to the back. You couldn't give discounts to bar patrons and not offer them in the restaurant too and you couldn't run discounted prices for certain hours only. This was the solution they came up with to end happy hour alcohol discounts (which led to many places giving discounts on food and offering full day discounts.

I'd be shocked if the Bleachers have a separate liquor license from the box seats and thus they may eventually be forced to offer these discounted beers throughout the park or end up getting fined. I'm sure with Bud back the promotion they've worked out the kinks though, so I'm probably missing something or maybe the rules have changed to allow more stuff like this.

dickallen15
04-29-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm not so much bothered by this at Wrigley because the bleachers are exclusively an adult section and are separated from the rest of the park (at least, as far as I know...maybe this has changed recently). So, if people want to act like ass clowns, at least it's confined to one section in the park.

Hotdogs and t-shirts are a fine idea. $3 beer at the Cell? No thank you. That's a disaster waiting to happen.
Considering how a lot of people seem to hate the rule about buying an upper deck ticket and not having access to the lower deck, maybe they should offer $3 beers, $1 hot dogs and t shirts for upper deck ticketholders and make you have to have an upper deck ticket to get in.

Brian26
04-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Considering how a lot of people seem to hate the rule about buying an upper deck ticket and not having access to the lower deck, maybe they should offer $3 beers, $1 hot dogs and t shirts for upper deck ticketholders and make you have to have an upper deck ticket to get in.

I think any profit realized from sales of $3 beers in the upper deck would be offset by the extra security they'd have to bring in to keep people from killing each other up there.

dickallen15
04-30-2011, 07:07 AM
I think any profit realized from sales of $3 beers in the upper deck would be offset by the extra security they'd have to bring in to keep people from killing each other up there.

I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. $3 beers is still $18 a six pack. Its not like they are giving it away.

DumpJerry
04-30-2011, 07:18 AM
The Cub fans sitting next to me at the Sox game last night said they think this is a stupid idea.

Cheaper beer won't sell tickets, better baseball will sell tickets.

lloyder
04-30-2011, 08:00 AM
I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. $3 beers is still $18 a six pack. Its not like they are giving it away.
Dude, $3 beers at a ballgame is practically free. 20 bucks for beer gets you 6 instead of 2 now. Disaster waiting ti happen.

Frontman
04-30-2011, 08:51 AM
But only around "Sox Park" does violence break out due to drunk and disorderly behavior!!!!!

fox23
04-30-2011, 09:10 AM

When did it become an all adult section? I've been to games in the bleachers and seen kids there too.

DumpJerry
04-30-2011, 10:09 AM

The Bud Lite (r) Bleachers are not an adult bookstore. There are a lot of kids there. The area is physically separate from the grandstand seats. However, they were separate from the Grandstand seats when the place was built and that was before beer was invented in 3,000 B.C.

dickallen15
04-30-2011, 10:50 AM
The Cub fans sitting next to me at the Sox game last night said they think this is a stupid idea.

Cheaper beer won't sell tickets, better baseball will sell tickets.

The last 25 years at Clark and Addison suggests otherwise.

dickallen15
04-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Dude, $3 beers at a ballgame is practically free. 20 bucks for beer gets you 6 instead of 2 now. Disaster waiting ti happen.
How does society survive bars that serve beers for $3? I'm sure there will be instructions and restrictions for cutting people off. You can get $3 beers at the street fests and somehow the neighborhood survives.

DSpivack
04-30-2011, 02:27 PM
How does society survive bars that serve beers for $3? I'm sure there will be instructions and restrictions for cutting people off. You can get $3 beers at the street fests and somehow the neighborhood survives.

Wrigley is a whole different animal altogether, though.

dickallen15
04-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Wrigley is a whole different animal altogether, though.
Its no more crazy, and probably less crazy that stuff like Taste of Licoln Avenue. How many people tailgate at Sox and Bears games and basically get prepared to watch the game on less than $1 beers? Or the people that go to a patio party and drink like crazy for 2 hours? I think $3 a beer isn't going to make many who would normally drink 1 or 2 drink 8 or 10, and the people who already drink 8-10 aren't going to drink 16-20. There will be a slight increase in beers per person, but I would bet it would be an average of less than 1.

Brian26
04-30-2011, 03:00 PM
The Bud Lite (r) Bleachers are not an adult bookstore. There are a lot of kids there. The area is physically separate from the grandstand seats. However, they were separate from the Grandstand seats when the place was built and that was before beer was invented in 3,000 B.C.

Makes sense. For some reason, I was thinking kids weren't allowed in the bleachers because I specifically remember the seats above the left-field well and the right-field well being designated "family sections" in the 90s. I realize those aren't mutually exclusive concepts though. I've only sat in the bleachers once ('96) and don't recall seeing kids there.

doublem23
04-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Its no more crazy, and probably less crazy that stuff like Taste of Licoln Avenue. How many people tailgate at Sox and Bears games and basically get prepared to watch the game on less than $1 beers? Or the people that go to a patio party and drink like crazy for 2 hours? I think $3 a beer isn't going to make many who would normally drink 1 or 2 drink 8 or 10, and the people who already drink 8-10 aren't going to drink 16-20. There will be a slight increase in beers per person, but I would bet it would be an average of less than 1.

I agree with you in principle, but there seems to be something about sports games that turns people into total *******s, like "I paid $40 for this seat, SO I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT."

At least they're only doing this in the bleachers, so everyone goes in there knowing what to expect.

ComiskeyBrewer
05-01-2011, 12:16 PM
I think the $1 dogs sounds like a good idea.

Viva Medias B's
05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
With $3 beers, we'll see more incidents of beers being tossed on the outfield if a close/controversial call goes against the Cubs.

SI1020
05-01-2011, 12:40 PM
With $3 beers, we'll see more incidents of beers being tossed on the outfield if a close/controversial call goes against the Cubs. Like this incident with baseballs.

Ky9Kso9q_Ws

ewokpelts
05-02-2011, 11:20 AM
The press release

Chicago Cubs and Bud Light introduce the Bud Light Bleacher Series (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110429&content_id=18392774&vkey=pr_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc)i swear to god, the press release screamed bud light ad. all i kept reading was "bud light' and "bud light".

ewokpelts
05-02-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm actually surprised they can get away with this. Chicago had rules regarding discounted alcohol when I worked in restaurants there.

Basically if you severed a product at a given price you had to offer it open to close from the front of the house to the back. You couldn't give discounts to bar patrons and not offer them in the restaurant too and you couldn't run discounted prices for certain hours only. This was the solution they came up with to end happy hour alcohol discounts (which led to many places giving discounts on food and offering full day discounts.

I'd be shocked if the Bleachers have a separate liquor license from the box seats and thus they may eventually be forced to offer these discounted beers throughout the park or end up getting fined. I'm sure with Bud back the promotion they've worked out the kinks though, so I'm probably missing something or maybe the rules have changed to allow more stuff like this.i've been to many restuarants in chicago where there are bar only specials. for food AND alcohol.

amsteel
05-02-2011, 01:19 PM
The press release says:

"fans 21 years of age and older can purchase Bud Light or Budweiser products at specific concession stands in the Bud Light Bleachers for $3"

In reality I bet there is one, maybe 2 stands, in the bowels of the bleachers that will have the deal. By the time you leave your seat, wait in the GIGANTIC line, and return to your seat, it will seem worth it to just drop the 7$ at the stand nearby.

Not quite a bait and switch, but rather a craftily worded promotion.

esbrechtel
05-02-2011, 02:17 PM
When I was in Florida I went to a Rays game and they had a "happy hour" special on Beer. Basically it was something like 3 bucks for a 12 ounce before the first inning. I figured it was just a way to try and get people to come to the park early. I think its a good idea if they really are hurting to get people to pay like 80 bucks to sit in the bleachers.