PDA

View Full Version : Starting Pitching

basilesox
07-07-2002, 03:42 PM
I picked up the Tribune today and was looking over the ERA's of starting pitchers in the AL and noticed that two of the Five worst pitchers (ranked by ERA) were both Danny Wright and Todd Ritchie. Why are these guys still in the rotation? It isn't that they hang around late into ball games before self destructing, but they self destruct immediately. You can just watch them fall behind in counts, miss their intended location, only to finally send one right down the middle which leads to a multi run HR that breaks the game wide open. We have to try somebody else before this season is over. (if it is not already) The "Who" part of the question is tough, but maybe Biddle or Ginter or Somebody from AAA. The truth is we have no chance when these guys consistently perform like Ritchie did today, time and time again.

Just voicing my opinion, :angry: basilesox

doublem23
07-07-2002, 03:45 PM
Welcome to the board... We're usually a lot more chipper than today.

Wow, nice play by Ray.... well, maybe if he had caught it.

CerberusWG
07-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Seems like we only have a 2 man rotation. Garland and Buehrle are the only SP's that can pitch now. Danny Wright and todd have WHIP's approaching 1.75 ffs and Glover cant go past 5 innings.

Ginter and Biddle time anyone?

doublem23
07-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG

Ginter and Biddle time anyone?

Well, at Sox-and-Roll, they made a good point that Biddle probably won't be coming back to the rotation this year because of his arm troubles, which I agree with. No sense in bringing him back premature and causing more arm troubles down the line.

CerberusWG
07-07-2002, 03:54 PM
Yeah, Rocky seems to blow out his arm every year or two.

:nardi

I'm so proud of you!

Lip Man 1
07-08-2002, 02:21 PM
As Jerry Manuel has stated publicly on more then one occasion, the Sox have NO options in the starting pitching department. Take that for what it's worth.

Of course Sox management is the one who decided they have NO OPTIONS since they:

A. Will not increase the size of the team payroll
B. Will not sign pitchers to long term contracts
C. Will not negotiate with any Scott Boras clients (many of
whom are quality starting pitchers)

It's kind of hard to do anything under those restrictions isn't it?

Lip

Cheryl
07-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

C. Will not negotiate with any Scott Boras clients (many of
whom are quality starting pitchers)

This is just so completely juvenile it boggles the mind. If JR doesn't like someone's agent, he won't try to sign that player.

Anyone else on JR's blacklist that we know of?

soxtalker
07-08-2002, 02:57 PM
Let's assume that the Sox have decided (or soon will decide) to throw in the towel on the season. Will Danny Wright have a better chance to develop in the minors or major leagues? That same question should then be asked for the other young starting pitchers. We've been told that Ritchie is a workhorse, so let him eat up the innings -- unless it is better for the young guys to get MLB experience instead of minor league experience.