PDA

View Full Version : Can the Indians be better than we all thought?

Fenway
04-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Cleveland is 15-8 (9-2 at home)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

Now all the 'experts' had them pegged to be the worst team in MLB this year but so far they look like a young scrappy team not unlike Tampa Bay a few years back.

Now they could well be like 2003 Kansas City but :scratch:

NOTHING in the Central makes any sense right now - but this has been a strange April for many clubs.

Chicago5oooh
04-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Short answer: yes. A team with no expectations playing with a TON of confidence is a dangerous thing.

Fenway
04-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Short answer: yes. A team with no expectations playing with a TON of confidence is a dangerous thing.

They are beating up on KC again tonight :?:

PKalltheway
04-28-2011, 08:04 PM
The other shoe will drop eventually, and the Indians will return to sucking. They're just off to a nice start, and maybe they're proving that they will lose less than 90 games this year. Maybe they'll lose 88. There's still a lot of baseball left.

Marqhead
04-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Short answer: nope. Long answer:.....nope.

TDog
04-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Certainly the Indians are better than the collective minds of WSI thought going into the season. There were posters "embarrassed" that the White Sox didn't sweep the Indians in the opening series in Cleveland. There were fans who diminished the first two wins because they were against an inferior team. The word "gutless" may have been tossed around in reference to the White Sox being unable to sweep one of the worst teams in the league.

Depending on how you define "we," there shouldn't be any question that the answer is yes.

The Indians have the best record in baseball nearly a month into the season, although they have a losing record (overall and at home) against the White Sox. It could be that the Indians season turned around with the triple play. Since losing their first two games at home, they are 16-6. It isn't like the Indians have padded their record over the metaphoric bodies of the underachieving White Sox.

The Indians aren't such as bad team. Whether they will play this well over the next five months is an entirely different question. So is the idea that the Indians will run away with the AL Central. In both cases, I don't believe they will.

sox1970
04-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Did anyone think the 1990 White Sox were going to win 94 games?

Anything is possible, especially in this division.

It's too early to say if the Indians are pretty good or the Sox are going to have a bad year. We should know who's legit by the 4th of July.

Soxfest
04-29-2011, 12:51 AM
No they will flatline soon.

g0g0
04-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Helps having players like Grady healthy again. At least for a month until he goes down with something.

gogosox675
04-29-2011, 08:43 AM
It's the Indians. They will find a way to screw it up sooner or later.

Quentin08
04-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Losing the first 2 games of the season and then winning 8 straight games will certainly give you a huge boost of confidence. I think the Tigers, Twins, and Sox will all start playing much better as the season progresses and will give the Indians a lot of trouble. It should be interesting to see how long they hold their lead.

Another question is, will the fans eventually show up in Cleveland if the Tribe keeps their lead in the central for a while? Only 9000 showed up in each of the last 3 games at Progressive Field.

eriqjaffe
04-29-2011, 09:59 AM
IIRC, most people in the business of making predictions pegged the 2005 White Sox as a 72-75 win team.

Long answer: Sure they can.

asindc
04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Yes.

DirtySox
04-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Nope.

SI1020
04-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Things change in life and in sports. Why assume the Indians are going to be lousy indefinitely? That said, I'm as surprised as anybody about their early success.

SoxSpeed22
04-29-2011, 01:15 PM
The Indians have three of their starting pitchers with an ERA under 3 and plenty of guys hitting over .300, so there's no doubt that they are on fire now. I think they are for real, as long as their bullpen holds up.

gogosox675
04-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Things change in life and in sports. Why assume the Indians are going to be lousy indefinitely? That said, I'm as surprised as anybody about their early success.
The Curse of Rocky Colavito says so. :D:

Fenway
04-29-2011, 02:20 PM
The Indians have three of their starting pitchers with an ERA under 3 and plenty of guys hitting over .300, so there's no doubt that they are on fire now. I think they are for real, as long as their bullpen holds up.

I have a friend who works in the Indians front office - he was one of the founders of BP - all he is saying is we expected this in 2012 not now but...

TDog
04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
I have a friend who works in the Indians front office - he was one of the founders of BP - all he is saying is we expected this in 2012 not now but...

That is similar to what front office were saying about the White Sox in 2000. Of course, the White Sox surprised many by winning the division with the AL's best record in 2000, seemingly out of nowhere, after the Indians were the consensus pick for the Central. And by the end of the season, the pitching was in such shambles that 2001 wasn't whet the front office expected in 1999.

In 2001 it was the Twins that seemed to come out of nowhere after years of being a losing -- nearly contracted -- team. And around this time, the Tigers were awful. They lost 119 games in 2003 and went to the World Series in 2006.

There is no reason to believe the Indians will be bad just because they haven't won games in recent years.

downstairs
04-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Sure they can be. Every year it seems there's one team that everyone predicted would stink but that makes it into the playoffs. And the way the rest of the Central has been playing... why not? Someone has to win it.

SBSoxFan
05-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Sure they can be. Every year it seems there's one team that everyone predicted would stink but that makes it into the playoffs. And the way the rest of the Central has been playing... why not? Someone has to win it.

Yep. Cleveland currently has the best record in baseball, and the Sox, Detroit, and Minnesota have lost a collective 17 straight. :whiner:

chisox616
05-01-2011, 08:10 PM
How ridiculous would it be if they made it to the playoffs? I mean, how many straight play off appearances does that make for Orlando Cabrera? Seriously. Can there be a luckier man in baseball? I'm assuming it's mostly because he's a convenient piece to an "almost there" team, but still. Ridiculous.

Red Barchetta
05-01-2011, 08:50 PM
How ridiculous would it be if they made it to the playoffs? I mean, how many straight play off appearances does that make for Orlando Cabrera? Seriously. Can there be a luckier man in baseball? I'm assuming it's mostly because he's a convenient piece to an "almost there" team, but still. Ridiculous.

I agee. I guess it's time for a changing of the guard in the AL Central, however until the SOX can take care of their own business and climb back to .500, I can't consider them a threat to the Indians. Might be their time...:(:

PKalltheway
05-02-2011, 12:54 AM
So far, it has been four in a row for Cabrera: 2010 Reds, 2009 Twins, '08 Sox and '07 Angels. He has also been in the postseason six out of the last seven years dating back to 2004. Crazy.

tstrike2000
05-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Lets see where they are in July.

PatK
05-02-2011, 09:55 AM
So far, it has been four in a row for Cabrera: 2010 Reds, 2009 Twins, '08 Sox and '07 Angels. He has also been in the postseason six out of the last seven years dating back to 2004. Crazy.

But he's a clubhouse cancer as they say

whitesox4eva
05-02-2011, 10:29 AM
The Indians currently have the best record in the MLB. :o::scratch::o:

soltrain21
05-02-2011, 10:48 AM
The Indians currently have the best record in the MLB. :o::scratch::o:

No one expected us to do what we did in 2005.

guillensdisciple
05-02-2011, 11:18 AM
But he's a clubhouse cancer as they say

Who wins everywhere he goes. Strange isn't it?

TDog
05-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Who wins everywhere he goes. Strange isn't it?

It also is strange that he's never wanted back, or at least wants to leave more than he's wanted back. I know many Sox fans didn't like him and were not unhappy to see him go.

I didn't have any problem with him. I'm just adding that I agree his career path is strange.

Hitmen77
05-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Let's not forget that even the mighty Orlando Cabrera followed the typical White Sox pattern of having an ice cold bat in the early part of the 2008 season.

I think he hit .210 in April and was part of our same old "wait until the weather warms up" and "they can't hit this bad ALL year" refrain. He did turn things around later in '08 and I think he finished with decent offensive numbers for the season.

Foulke You
05-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Let's not forget that even the mighty Orlando Cabrera followed the typical White Sox pattern of having an ice cold bat in the early part of the 2008 season.

I think he hit .210 in April and was part of our same old "wait until the weather warms up" and "they can't hit this bad ALL year" refrain. He did turn things around later in '08 and I think he finished with decent offensive numbers for the season.
You are correct. Orlando Cabrera hit .215 with 1HR and 5 RBI in April 2008:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=cabreor01&year=2008&t=b

GoSox2K3
05-09-2011, 09:15 AM
I'd like to know how the Indians keep finding ways to "reboot" so quickly. After the Thome/Ramirez era ended in 2001, they were back to 93 wins in 2005 and an ALCS appearance in 2007 with a new set of players. Then they sucked for a couple of years and are now back brimming with talent.

I'm not saying the Indians' way is perfect. They obviously haven't won it all in over 60 years and this last decade has only produced playoff appearances in '01 and '07. But, like the Twins, they seem to develop enough talent to bounce back.

sunofgold
05-09-2011, 12:04 PM
but their starters might tire as some point. Except for Carmona, none of their starters has ever pitched 200 innings in a season.

Is Masterson the new Greinke in the AL Central? I don't know.

I am taking them seriously. They are playing well and I am hoping that they cool off.

OC might act like an ass, but cannot deny that this guy is a winner who helps his team win. He helped us in 2008.

SoxSpeed22
05-09-2011, 12:10 PM
I'd like to know how the Indians keep finding ways to "reboot" so quickly. After the Thome/Ramirez era ended in 2001, they were back to 93 wins in 2005 and an ALCS appearance in 2007 with a new set of players. Then they sucked for a couple of years and are now back brimming with talent.

I'm not saying the Indians' way is perfect. They obviously haven't won it all in over 60 years and this last decade has only produced playoff appearances in '01 and '07. But, like the Twins, they seem to develop enough talent to bounce back.The Indians do a good job of selling high on their players whenever they feel like they have to reconstruct the team. They got Justin Masterson by trading Victor Martinez, they got Matt LaPorta and Michael Brantley for CC Sabathia, they can bring up younger guys (Asdrubal Cabrera, Josh Tomlin) and they held on to pieces that were hurt earlier in their careers, but are playing well now (Carmona, Sizemore, Hafner).

Foulke You
05-09-2011, 01:58 PM
they held on to pieces that were hurt earlier in their careers, but are playing well now (Carmona, Sizemore, Hafner).
It should be noted that they only "held on" to Sizemore and Hafner because they had no choice given their huge contracts and injury situations. The Indians are playing well and certainly pitching better than anyone in our division so far. However, I feel they are a Sizemore or Hafner injury away from severely cooling off. Given the track records of those two, there is an excellent chance that could happen.

palehozenychicty
05-09-2011, 03:03 PM
The Indians have been a streaky team/franchise for awhile. They'll cool off. It's just a matter of the timing.

Fenway
05-09-2011, 05:02 PM
The Indians are still dead last in attendance

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct

SI1020
05-09-2011, 05:52 PM

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct Population and industry loss, post Lebron depression and no champion since 1964. All of that will dampen enthusiasm.

Fenway
05-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Population and industry loss, post Lebron depression and no champion since 1964. All of that will dampen enthusiasm.

They actually had an AHL playoff game with the Manitoba Moose draw 3,000 more than an Indians game at same time

For the AHL their prices are high

http://www.lakeeriemonsters.com/tickets/seatingchart/

gogosox675
05-17-2011, 11:46 PM
I've seen a quite a few people on campus with Indians gear on this week. It appears the Indians bandwagon is gaining traction in Bloomington. :angry:

GoSox2K3
05-18-2011, 08:14 AM

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct

We know very well from watching the White Sox over the years that teams don't suddenly zoom to the top in attendance after 6 weeks of success.

I doubt the Indians had many advance ticket sales this past offseason and they're not going to suddenly get 20,000 walk ups every night in a cold, rainy spring.

doublem23
05-18-2011, 08:15 AM
We know very well from watching the White Sox over the years that teams don't suddenly zoom to the top in attendance after 6 weeks of success.

I doubt the Indians had many advance ticket sales this past offseason and they're not going to suddenly get 20,000 walk ups every night in a cold, rainy spring.

Yeah plus they're all watching the NBA Playoffs rooting for the 76ers, Celtics, and Bulls.