PDA

View Full Version : St Petersburg is getting worried

Fenway
04-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Worried about a potential Rays bankruptcy, St. Pete hiring lawyer

http://www2.tbo.com/news/business/2011/apr/28/worried-about-a-potential-rays-bankruptcy-st-pete--ar-203243/

Red Barchetta
04-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Like the referenced Phoenix Coyotes attempt to move, I wonder whether any judge would allow them to cancel or only renegotiate their Tropicana lease under Chapter 11.

It's really getting ugly.

Fenway
04-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Like the referenced Phoenix Coyotes attempt to move, I wonder whether any judge would allow them to cancel or only renegotiate their Tropicana lease under Chapter 11.

It's really getting ugly.

I have a hunch the Rays are being quiet for now as they want to see what kind of a bump the Marlins get next year. If the new downtown stadium in Miami doesn't work it doesn't bode well for Tampa Bay.

Red Barchetta
04-28-2011, 05:27 PM
I have a hunch the Rays are being quiet for now as they want to see what kind of a bump the Marlins get next year. If the new downtown stadium in Miami doesn't work it doesn't bode well for Tampa Bay.

I agree. They have recovered nicely from their poor start and at the expense of the SOX along the way, so I'm expecting them to stay competitive even though they lost some key free agents.

I know the ownership is silently considering various options, however I expect the Marlins to do very well at least initially. I don't expect anything to happen with the Rays until at least 2016 when the bonds expire and the only remaining contractual issue is the lease term. They will have a stronger argument at that point because they would not leave St. Pete with a bill on Tropicana.

Although I like the idea of a downtown/Ybor Tampa ballpark, I scratch my head wondering whether the Tampa Bay region can really support a MLB team on a consistent basis. The Bucs had a solid, winning season in 2010, however the local games were blacked out due to lack of attendance. I see Bears fans, Packers fans, Patriots fans, etc. located in cold weather cities packing their stadiums, however the Bucaneers can't sell out a home game with a winning team on a 70 degree sunny day. :scratch:

Fenway
04-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Although I like the idea of a downtown/Ybor Tampa ballpark, I scratch my head wondering whether the Tampa Bay region can really support a MLB team on a consistent basis. The Bucs had a solid, winning season in 2010, however the local games were blacked out due to lack of attendance. I see Bears fans, Packers fans, Patriots fans, etc. located in cold weather cities packing their stadiums, however the Bucaneers can't sell out a home game with a winning team on a 70 degree sunny day. :scratch:

The Glazer's jumped at another chance to go to London giving up a Bears game that most likely would have sold out with all the ex-Chicago people. I think the Bucs miss being in with the now NFC North teams.

There are some in Tampa who think the Glazers would love to move the team to the UK. The NFL is the one North American league that could work out the kinks of a team there as they can still schedule games on a Sunday that will work in the US broadcast window, In reverse games they play in the US at least at 1 PM would have good TV times in England.

The Lightning seem to be holding their own at the gate and they look like they made the right choice playing in downtown Tampa.

DSpivack
04-28-2011, 09:23 PM
The Glazer's jumped at another chance to go to London giving up a Bears game that most likely would have sold out with all the ex-Chicago people. I think the Bucs miss being in with the now NFC North teams.

There are some in Tampa who think the Glazers would love to move the team to the UK. The NFL is the one North American league that could work out the kinks of a team there as they can still schedule games on a Sunday that will work in the US broadcast window, In reverse games they play in the US at least at 1 PM would have good TV times in England.

The Lightning seem to be holding their own at the gate and they look like they made the right choice playing in downtown Tampa.

That and the NFL needing only to sell 8/10 home games makes it easier to have a team overseas than in any other sport, despite the fact that American football has the lowest global popularity of any American sport.

Red Barchetta
04-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Wasn't there talk that the Yankees mgmt. were willing to help the Rays get out of their lease in St. Pete by offering to move Yankees spring training into St. Pete? Not sure how true that is because Yankees Legends Field in Tampa is pretty nice.

I know St. Pete does not want to lose the Rays to Tampa which effectively would place all three pro teams (Bucs, Lightning and Rays) in Tampa proper. However they need to start working with the Rays instead of fighting and shoving Tropicana down their throat as the only solution.

Lamp81
04-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Wasn't there talk that the Yankees mgmt. were willing to help the Rays get out of their lease in St. Pete by offering to move Yankees spring training into St. Pete? Not sure how true that is because Yankees Legends Field in Tampa is pretty nice.

I know St. Pete does not want to lose the Rays to Tampa which effectively would place all three pro teams (Bucs, Lightning and Rays) in Tampa proper. However they need to start working with the Rays instead of fighting and shoving Tropicana down their throat as the only solution.

Before anyone tries to give the Yankees too much credit. I am sure they only offered this, so they could possibly reduce their revenuce sharing payments by having the Rays in a better financial situation.

The certainly don't want to help out the ballclub in on field performance.

Red Barchetta
04-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Before anyone tries to give the Yankees too much credit. I am sure they only offered this, so they could possibly reduce their revenuce sharing payments by having the Rays in a better financial situation.

The certainly don't want to help out the ballclub in on field performance.

King George had both personal and business ties to Tampa and was one of the original supporters when it came to MLB expansion into Florida.

Obviously, the Yankees still train in Tampa however I'm not sure how much support Steinbrenner's son will provide. I agree about the revenue sharing and I think the Yankees would much rather have the Rays stay competitive than revert back to the cellar of the AL East.

All eyes are going to be on how successful the Marlins will be with their new retractable roof ballpark. I'm sure they will have many sellouts the first season regardless of the team's record, so I guess the true test will come 4-5 years later right when the Tropicana bonds will expire in 2016. I don't think the Rays have any legal way out until then. Once the bonds are paid off, Tropicana will be paid for and the only financial issue will be the remaining term of their lease. I think MLB will at that point be able to step in an help if attendance continues to be an issue, leaving St. Pete with their lovely dome that no one wants to play in.

...however there will always be tractor pulls and monster truck rallies!

Viva Medias B's
04-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Tampa is a Yankees town, and I think the Rays would be better suited in Orlando.

Red Barchetta
04-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Tampa is a Yankees town, and I think the Rays would be better suited in Orlando.

I think "they" got it right when they targeted Miami/Fort Lauderdale and Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater as the two expansion markets for Florida.

Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater is the #1 most populated metro area with 2.5M people. Miami is #2 at 2.2M, however if you add Ft. Lauderdale it's #1 at over 3.9M people.

Orlando is next with 1.6M so they may be able to support a team, however I don't think MLB wants to give up on Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater. They just need a better ballpark in a better location in the Tampa Bay market. I can't believe anyone at anytime thought the design of Florida Suncoast Dome in 1986 was a good idea. The area has such beautiful scenery and the Rays play baseball in a windowless, concrete "can" of a ballpark. Baseball ballpark designs have come a long way since the dome was built and especially after the retro design boom sparked by Camden Yards, however I can't believe they really thought this design would be successful.

Downtown St. Pete is a very poor location for all the Tampa Bay residents north and east of the bay. It's simply in the worst location of the entire Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater market. If they move it to downtown Tampa or at least to the northern section of St. Pete near the Howard Franklin bridge into Tampa, they would have a better chance of drawing more fans on a regular basis.