PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie tweeting during the game; suspended by MLB

Rocky Soprano
04-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Minutes after his ejection, Ozzie decided to tweet the following:

This one going to cost me a lot money this is patetic

Today a tough guy show up a yankee stadium

Ozzie had already been booted from the game but am I the only one that finds something wrong with him tweeting while a game is being played? He is always preaching about respecting the game yet he feels that he needed to tweet?!

Ozzie, you are not bigger than the team! Shut the **** up and manage!

BainesHOF
04-27-2011, 11:26 PM
This needs to stop immediately.

Par for the course for Guillen, however.

Mohoney
04-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Fire him immediately. Otherwise, you lose all credibility.

russ99
04-28-2011, 06:54 AM
If he was tweeting while managing, I'd agree with that, but he had been ejected.

I don't see how different this is than that NBA player tweeting at halftime and/or some ot the things Ochocinco does. And really, this isn't so far removed from Ozzie commenting on umpires in a press conference.

Let MLB decide the punishment to set a precedent on if this kind of communication is allowed.

VMSNS
04-28-2011, 06:59 AM
:fireozzie

skobabe8
04-28-2011, 06:59 AM
I don't see the big deal at all.

soxfanatlanta
04-28-2011, 07:05 AM
If he was tweeting while managing, I'd agree with that, but he had been ejected.

I don't see how different this is than that NBA player tweeting at halftime and/or some ot the things Ochocinco does. And really, this isn't so far removed from Ozzie commenting on umpires in a press conference.

Let MLB decide the punishment to set a precedent on if this kind of communication is allowed.

The fact you put Ozzie on the same level as Ochocinco should concern you.

ewokpelts
04-28-2011, 07:12 AM
well, he wasnt tweeting while working, so what's the big deal?

Madvora
04-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Ozzie has become a joke and this isn't the only reason. They renewed his contract to keep him from complaining keep away any distractions and now I'll bet they regret it.

ewokpelts
04-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Ozzie has become a joke and this isn't the only reason. They renewed his contract to keep him from complaining keep away any distractions and now I'll bet they regret it.all they did was pick up his 2012 option. if he gets fired this year, they are on the hook for only one season.

dickallen15
04-28-2011, 07:27 AM
I don't see the huge deal although you would think Ozzie would want Sox fans' attention on the team while a game is going on, not his tweets. I don't now if the league has a social media policy in place, but if they don't they probably will immediately if not sooner.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Ozzie acts like an even bigger clown every time they go to NY. Its part of his self-promotion. How else does a guy that can't form a coherent thought or a complete a sentence get chosen by Fox for his "analysis".

For all his tough talk and bravado, KW either doesn't have the balls to stand up to his own manager or the juice to do something about him.

LoveYourSuit
04-28-2011, 07:48 AM

Ozzie could punch a 5 year old in the face and you would find a reason to justify it.

You don't see a problem with the continued self promotion by this guy? Its almost like he planned for getting tossed. And that pitch to go argue about in the first inning was pretty damn close.

I guess if you enjoy the WWF you also enjoy Ozzie. Its all a staged act.

skobabe8
04-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Ozzie acts like an even bigger clown every time they go to NY. Its part of his self-promotion. How else does a guy that can't form a coherent thought or a complete a sentence get chosen by Fox for his "analysis".

For all his tough talk and bravado, KW either doesn't have the balls to stand up to his own manager or the juice to do something about him.

Wow. :rolleyes:

http://www.nuk3.com/gallery/comedy/262/Rolleyes-Vomiting-Emoticon.html

Frontman
04-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Ozzie could punch a 5 year old in the face and you would find a reason to justify it.

You don't see a problem with the continued self promotion by this guy? Its almost like he planned for getting tossed. And that pitch to go argue about in the first inning was pretty damn close.

An yet Ozzie detractors find it offensive to the baseball code for him to have tweeted while sitting in the clubhouse after being ejected. Makes commenting about it kind of ironic, doesn't it?

BringHomeDaBacon
04-28-2011, 08:05 AM

Just like how he made sure the ESPN cameras caught him yucking it up with the fans Monday night.

doublem23
04-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Just like how he made sure the ESPN cameras caught him yucking it up with the fans Monday night.

http://libertypundits.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/tin-foil-hat.jpg

Some of you guys need to step back from the edge. It's starting to be embarrassing.

Viva Medias B's
04-28-2011, 08:46 AM
If you think that Ozzie Guillen should be fired for tweeting in the clubhouse after an ejection, it means you have an extremely itchy trigger finger to get rid of him. I admit that I am growing tired of the "Aura of Ozzie," but if I wanted him fired it would be for results on the field (or lack thereof), not this.

asindc
04-28-2011, 08:50 AM
If you think that Ozzie Guillen should be fired for tweeting in the clubhouse after an ejection, it means you have an extremely itchy trigger finger to get rid of him. I admit that I am growing tired of the "Aura of Ozzie," but if I wanted him fired it would be for results on the field (or lack thereof), not this.

I'm asindc, and I approve of the above post.

SI1020
04-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Just Manny being Manny. Just Ozzie being Ozzie.

hi im skot
04-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Another nothing story that rises to prominence because it features a polarizing figure.

Quentin08
04-28-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm always amazed when I read Ozzie's tweets. You'd think he would have taken the initiative to enroll in an English class by now. :dunno:

BringHomeDaBacon
04-28-2011, 09:36 AM
http://libertypundits.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/tin-foil-hat.jpg

Some of you guys need to step back from the edge. It's starting to be embarrassing.

A conspiracy would involve more than on person. The complaint is regarding endless SELF-promotion.

doublem23
04-28-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm always amazed when I read Ozzie's tweets. You'd think he would have taken the initiative to enroll in an English class by now. :dunno:

Ozzie speaks English fluently, his tweets aren't any better or worse than most native speakers.

Jim Shorts
04-28-2011, 09:41 AM

You really believe things like this...which causes rational people to fit you for a foil hat

kittle42
04-28-2011, 09:43 AM

When he goes, can he take 90% of the people who post on the internet with him?

Jim Shorts
04-28-2011, 09:45 AM
When he goes, can he take 90% of the people who post on the internet with him?

I hope something happens to those 90%

skobabe8
04-28-2011, 09:50 AM

You must not get to too many games. I've never been to a game where I haven't looked over to see Ozzie yucking it up with fans. Feel free to believe what you want about him only doing for ESPN though.

I don't think Ozzie has done a particularly good job this year. But to even pretend like this is a story just to bash the guy is pretty weak.

gregoriop
04-28-2011, 09:52 AM

I'm still trying to decide if this is a real post. This thread is great.

LongLiveFisk
04-28-2011, 10:00 AM
I wonder how many people post here while they're at work.

You should all be fired too, damn it!

manders_01
04-28-2011, 10:10 AM

:rolling: Well said LLF!

Obviously, I'm one of those that sees no problem with the Tweets.

GoGoCrede
04-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Ozzie speaks English fluently, his tweets aren't any better or worse than most native speakers.

Agreed. I'm cutting him major slack for his grammar/spelling because he isn't a native speaker.

I don't even like Ozzie all that much, but I don't care when he tweets.

GoGoCrede
04-28-2011, 10:25 AM

:o: Guilty as charged.

TommyGavinFloyd
04-28-2011, 10:29 AM
If it wasn't overused badly on this board, this would be a good place for the "Who Cares" picture with Gary Coleman. Seriously. For people on here to say things like the Sox "must fire Ozzie now so they don't lose all credibility", I don't even know how to respond to that. I think it's cool that we got to hear something from him right after he got ejected instead of after the game.

Chez
04-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Questionable judgment by Ozzie, but I think people who want to fire him over this are using it as a pretext. If the team was 15-10, most would be chuckling over the tweets.

103 screwball
04-28-2011, 10:39 AM
I can see a lot of arguments why another manager may improve the team. However, I don't care about his tweet "during the game" because he was thrown out of the game and for him it was over. Instead of tweeting, maybe the Sox manager would be better off studying the opposition and finding the best way to beat them. With the discussion of Ozzie's job, I see many media saying how we need entertaining guys who speak their mind. This is true. What I haven't seen is any convincing arguments that Ozzie should be kept because he is great at his job. I would like to see the team loosen up and Ozzie get more serious.

Bobby Thigpen
04-28-2011, 11:03 AM
I can see a lot of arguments why another manager may improve the team. However, I don't care about his tweet "during the game" because he was thrown out of the game and for him it was over. Instead of tweeting, maybe the Sox manager would be better off studying the opposition and finding the best way to beat them. With the discussion of Ozzie's job, I see many media saying how we need entertaining guys who speak their mind. This is true. What I haven't seen is any convincing arguments that Ozzie should be kept because he is great at his job. I would like to see the team loosen up and Ozzie get more serious.
Score more runs.

For Christ's sakes, he isn't planning the invasion of Normandy.

russ99
04-28-2011, 11:15 AM
The fact you put Ozzie on the same level as Ochocinco should concern you.

The fact that you judge Ozzie based on off-the field things and not on his managing should concern you.

soltrain21
04-28-2011, 11:16 AM
The fact that you judge Ozzie based on off-the field things and not on his managing should concern you.

I'm pretty sure most people are fed up with both.

Zisk77
04-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Bah, most five year olds are brats anyway. What are they pansies? We need to make them "Chicago Tough" :tongue:

103 screwball
04-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Score more runs.

Really? Somehow other teams are hitting Brad Penny and giving him an 8 era. Perhaps there are patterns that other teams have picked up on that the Sox haven't. Sox base runners are getting thrown out a lot. Maybe our signs have been compromised. What is Brent Morel hitting against pitcher like (insert pitcher of the day)? This is Major League baseball. If Ozzie was coaching a little league team, he could encourage the team to have fun, make sure everyone plays and chat with the crowd. I want him to concentrate on getting a edge for his players.

kittle42
04-28-2011, 11:20 AM

His in-game, on-field managing is far worse than his off-the-field things. In fact, the only thing I think he is good at is his ability to deflect focus and criticism away from his players and onto him, which I consider a good management trait.

Nellie_Fox
04-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Its almost like he planned for getting tossed. ... Its all a staged act.Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. How many people on here have been calling for Ozzie to "get fired up" and "protect his players?" How many have called for him to get himself tossed out of a game as an example to the players about "caring?" Is it a "staged act?" Possibly, and he wouldn't be the first manager to put on a planned show. Some have even been known to come out and tell the umpire "you know I have to get tossed here" before launching into their histrionics.

I'm pretty sure most people are fed up with both.Don't presume to speak for "most people." I don't know what "most people" think about Ozzie, and neither do you. Supporting your position by claiming majority support without evidence of same is bogus.

soltrain21
04-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. How many people on here have been calling for Ozzie to "get fired up" and "protect his players?" How many have called for him to get himself tossed out of a game as an example to the players about "caring?" Is it a "staged act?" Possibly, and he wouldn't be the first manager to put on a planned show. Some have even been known to come out and tell the umpire "you know I have to get tossed here" before launching into their histrionics.

Don't presume to speak for "most people." I don't know what "most people" think about Ozzie, and neither do you. Supporting your position by claiming majority support without evidence of same is bogus.

:rolleyes:

Most people that are fed up with Ozzie are tired of his off the field antics and managing technique.

Better?

Nellie_Fox
04-28-2011, 11:32 AM

Most people that are fed up with Ozzie are tired of his off the field antics and managing technique.

Better?Yes, and a VERY different statement than the original. Roll your eyes all you want.

Jim Shorts
04-28-2011, 12:02 PM
According to Gonzo, MLB has social media (twitter) addressed in their conduct code. So Ozzie will be hearing from Joe Torre relatively soon.

Ozzie knew that when he twitted: This ones gonna cost me a lot of money.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. How many people on here have been calling for Ozzie to "get fired up" and "protect his players?" How many have called for him to get himself tossed out of a game as an example to the players about "caring?" Is it a "staged act?" Possibly, and he wouldn't be the first manager to put on a planned show. Some have even been known to come out and tell the umpire "you know I have to get tossed here" before launching into their histrionics.

Personally, I don't care about the "getting fired up" or "protecting his players" stuff. I do see a difference, however, in getting tossed and putting on a show for those reasons and putting on a show for the purposes of self-promotion while in New York.

Bobby Thigpen
04-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Really? Somehow other teams are hitting Brad Penny and giving him an 8 era. Perhaps there are patterns that other teams have picked up on that the Sox haven't. Sox base runners are getting thrown out a lot. Maybe our signs have been compromised. What is Brent Morel hitting against pitcher like (insert pitcher of the day)? This is Major League baseball. If Ozzie was coaching a little league team, he could encourage the team to have fun, make sure everyone plays and chat with the crowd. I want him to concentrate on getting a edge for his players.
Yep, those 30 seconds it took him to write those tweets is the difference in the Sox' record.

Dan H
04-28-2011, 12:37 PM
The tweets - that he did them and what is in them - don't bother me. When his son tweets and sticks his nose in team business, now that bothers me. Ozzie should do something about that and he won't.

BTW, the ESPN-Guillen butt kissing was shameless. There are so many reasons why that network has no credibility.

russ99
04-28-2011, 12:38 PM

Better?

And how is this different from us supporting the myriad of Sox players over the years who aren't the best of people away from the game?

I could care less what the guy says or does when he's not acting as manager of the club.

Ozzie, the man out of uniform shouldn't be a point of topic, at least not the point of topic it has become the last few years.

How would you feel if your work performance was judged based on what you do off the clock? (police officers excluded)

soltrain21
04-28-2011, 12:46 PM
And how is this different from us supporting the myriad of Sox players over the years who aren't the best of people away from the game?

I could care less what the guy says or does when he's not acting as manager of the club.

Ozzie, the man out of uniform shouldn't be a point of topic, at least not the point of topic it has become the last few years.

How would you feel if your work performance was judged based on what you do off the clock? (police officers excluded)

Public figures are looked at differently. It's just how it works. If people want to judge me as a video game loving dork outside of my media librarian job then they are welcomed to.

Ozzie is in the public eye at all times. Game or non game situations will be judged. And I don't think people are mad at the dude for going out to eat or something. All of it has to do with Sox baseball. His family and their relationship with the team, for instance.

Tragg
04-28-2011, 12:50 PM
It's just not professional.

pythons007
04-28-2011, 01:01 PM
This has been blown way out of proportion. I can't to this point blame everything on Ozzie. Everyone knew in the beginning of the season Thornton would close. Ozzie gave him his fair share of chances as any manager should, it didn't work out. The bullpen was terrible, but Ozzie can only play guys he has on the roster (I do blame him for using Ohman as much as he has to this point).

The hitting has been suspect just like it was last year. 2 guys are hitting out of 9, you aren't going to score many runs that way.

There was a stretch there when the starters sucked and the bullpen was dominate and vice versa.

I'm not going to start panicking for this team until late May. Calling for Ozzie's head is silly.

daveeym
04-28-2011, 01:05 PM
If it wasn't overused badly on this board, this would be a good place for the "Who Cares" picture with Gary Coleman. Seriously. For people on here to say things like the Sox "must fire Ozzie now so they don't lose all credibility", I don't even know how to respond to that. I think it's cool that we got to hear something from him right after he got ejected instead of after the game.

I want Ozzie fired and all,but you're absolutely correct. Some of these responses are more embarrasing than Ozzie.

Red Barchetta
04-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Par for the course, however like Ditka's tenure as the Bears head coach, the constant desire for attention and the ability to create a story from a non-story, is starting to get old...

Nellie_Fox
04-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Personally, I don't care about the "getting fired up" or "protecting his players" stuff. I do see a difference, however, in getting tossed and putting on a show for those reasons and putting on a show for the purposes of self-promotion while in New York.And you're going to pretend to know which it was????

BringHomeDaBacon
04-28-2011, 02:46 PM
And you're going to pretend to know which it was????

yup

Nellie_Fox
04-28-2011, 03:39 PM
yupThe Amazing Kreskin has nothing on you.

Iron Dragon2
04-28-2011, 04:01 PM

He WAS acting as manager. Tweeting during the game. Just not professional.

You're right, he shouldn't be a point of topic when he's not in uniform. Yet he continues to put himself there.

Your work performance may not be judged on what you do off the clock, but you sure as hell can get fired for things you do or say. Ever heard of someone getting canned for something stupid they put on Facebook?

kwa
04-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I was at the game and didn't know he got tossed until someone told me he tweeted about it. MLB has to come to terms with the times we are living in.

Frontman
04-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Score more runs.

+1 Awesome. It isn't rocket science, people. This team isn't scoring enough runs, and when they do, the bullpen blows it. Ozzie using his phone to tweet isn't the cause. Combination of luck and stupid baseball play is what brought this team to this point. Is Ozzie a part of that problem? Yes, but if we fire everyone who is at fault for this, the team will have 3 players and Herm Schnieder left......

GoSox2K3
04-28-2011, 09:07 PM
I see this "tweeting" controversy got the Sox all fired up tonight!

This tweeting thing is really a non-issue. I really couldn't care less. What I do care about is that Ozzie and Walker have no way to breathe life into this team.

Yeah, yeah, we know......players come and go and it's never their fault. Let's give them a lifetime contract because for all we know any replacement could suck even more.

thomas35forever
04-28-2011, 09:43 PM
So glad all the Ozzie haters now have a place to vent for themselves.

kevingrt
04-28-2011, 09:50 PM
So glad all the Ozzie haters now have a place to vent for themselves.

About really important things to consider when evaluating a manager.

Zisk77
04-29-2011, 11:26 AM
+1 Awesome. It isn't rocket science, people. This team isn't scoring enough runs, and when they do, the bullpen blows it. Ozzie using his phone to tweet isn't the cause. Combination of luck and stupid baseball play is what brought this team to this point. Is Ozzie a part of that problem? Yes, but if we fire everyone who is at fault for this, the team will have 3 players and Herm Schnieder left......

Fire Herm's fat behind!

BainesHOF
04-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Ozzie has just been suspended for two games by MLB.

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Ozzie has just been suspended for two games by MLB.So, whatever happens the next two games aren't his fault?

kittle42
04-29-2011, 03:06 PM
So, whatever happens the next two games aren't his fault?

Indeed. Also, we can't take anything he does during these next two days into account because he is off the clock.

Cat Thief
04-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Ozzie has just been suspended for two games by MLB.

Hopefully it's the beginning of the end.

SI1020
04-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Ozzie has just been suspended for two games by MLB. I guess they hate him too.

Jerko
04-29-2011, 03:22 PM
He'll be back just in time for Sunday lineup

doublem23
04-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie

http://www.wbez.org/story/ozzie-guillen-suspended-arguing-tweeting-85868

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Okay I hate Ozzie tweeting I don't care that he was ejected. Also, I do believe this is being taken to a very high level because of other issue about him/his sons/the team. At the end of the day, I wish Ozzie did not Tweet. This is different than half-time in the NBA/NHL I mean really... I do that my friend was on facebook in the clubhouse when the game was going on when he wasn't the on-field batboy. I called a visitors batboy before a game like around 2:30-3pm and hs boss answered the phone :redface:

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-29-2011, 03:31 PM
MLB>us lol

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-29-2011, 03:33 PM
He'll be back just in time for Sunday lineup

Shouldn't be in teal lol :(: But that line-up was out last night actually.

Cat Thief
04-29-2011, 03:34 PM
okay i hate ozzie tweeting i don't care that he was ejected. Also, i do believe this is being taken to a very high level because of other issue about him/his sons/the team. At the end of the day, i wish ozzie did not tweet. This is different than half-time in the nba/nhl i mean really... I do that my friend was on facebook in the clubhouse when the game was going on when he wasn't the on-field batboy. I called a visitors batboy before a game like around 2:30-3pm and hs boss answered the phone :redface:

Mod Edit: No

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Mod edit: DO NOT repost entries that are a violation of board policy. This post was an attempt at evading the language filter.

my bad I was in a hurry. I am saying I wish Ozzie did not have tweeted during the game even if he was thrown out. I am also saying that my friend used to go on facebook during the games in the clubhouse if he was not working with the bats.

PaleHoser
04-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Any chance we can get this suspension extended? I'd like to see someone else get an opportunity to right the ship.