PDA

View Full Version : Todd Ritchie: Worst SP in Baseball

RKMeibalane
07-07-2002, 02:00 PM
This man is KILLING the Chicago White Sox with his crap! He can't hit his spots. He leaves the ball up and over the heart of the plate. He throws hanging breaking balls and curves when he has a 3-2 count on a hitter. The man blows. Kenny Williams, thanks for nothing!

TornLabrum
07-07-2002, 02:07 PM
Less than nothing...more like -2. We gave up three arms for this POS!

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-07-2002, 02:09 PM
Wait a second?? Todd Ritchie is a starting pitcher?? Damn dude, you coulda fooled me!

TornLabrum
07-07-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
Wait a second?? Todd Ritchie is a starting pitcher?? Damn dude, you coulda fooled me!

Which part, the starting or the pitcher?

duke of dorwood
07-07-2002, 02:20 PM
:ritchie

n. A bum, imitation pitcher,

v. 2002 term for being Munsoned

kermittheefrog
07-07-2002, 02:28 PM
Why do we even waste our time with him every fiftth day?

GASHWOUND
07-07-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
This man is KILLING the Chicago White Sox with his crap! He can't hit his spots. He leaves the ball up and over the heart of the plate. He throws hanging breaking balls and curves when he has a 3-2 count on a hitter. The man blows. Kenny Williams, thanks for nothing!

I defended Ritchie alot this year, but no more. He's absolutely horrible, and a freakin disgrace. I think it was SI who said this, but someone will get fired for this trade and that someone is KW. This may go down as one of the worst trades in the last decade. We gave up 3 arms..oh, wait a minute. KENNY WILLIAMS gave up 3 arms for this guy??? Holy crap. Right now PITT wouldn't trade Sean Lowe for Ritchie straight up. Disgusting, truly disgusting.

Jerry_Manuel
07-07-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Same reason they trot out Clayton.

Bucktown
07-07-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

I defended Ritchie alot this year, but no more. He's absolutely horrible, and a freakin disgrace. I think it was SI who said this, but someone will get fired for this trade and that someone is KW. This may go down as one of the worst trades in the last decade. We gave up 3 arms..oh, wait a minute. KENNY WILLIAMS gave up 3 arms for this guy??? Holy crap. Right now PITT wouldn't trade Sean Lowe for Ritchie straight up. Disgusting, truly disgusting.
Kenny Williams was on ESPN 1000 a couple of weeks ago crediting someone else on his staff for "masterminding" this trade. He was clearly setting them up to take the fall. I wish I could remember who it was. I will remember his name when I read he was fired.

Jerry_Manuel
07-07-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Kenny Williams was on ESPN 1000 a couple of weeks ago crediting someone else on his staff for "masterminding" this trade. He was clearly setting them up to take the fall. I wish I could remember who it was. I will remember his name when I read he was fired.

I didn't hear the interview, but when the recap was posted the poster said it was Schu.

CLR01
07-07-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown

If i remember correctly he said Schu recommend or was high on Ritchie. I dont remember reading about KW saying it was RS's idea to trade 3 arms for one, or RS's decision to actually pull the trigger on the deal.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I didn't hear the interview, but when the recap was posted the poster said it was Schu.

Typical Williams. He blames his predecessor for a mess that he's created. Someone needs to lose their job over this, and that someone is none other than Lenny.

raul12
07-07-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

i held out a decision as to whether this trade was good or bad, but i agree--no longer. this is something like his 5th or 6th straight bad start. good pitchers go through funks, but this is disgraceful. most scouts put him at a decent #3 or #4--maybe on a AAA team. him and butter would make a great 1-2 combo in rookie ball.

raul12
07-07-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

although, maybe this is all.... :nardi

which leads us to....

:firenardi

ritchie wasn't THIS bad with the pirates--maybe lenny could orchestrate a deal to swap pitching coaches.

:KW
we'll give you crede, borchard, malone, and buerhle for sean lowe and your pitching coach.

oldcomiskey
07-07-2002, 05:50 PM
could it be the return of a more subtle Jamie Navarro? This guy is Navarro without the attitude

CubKilla
07-07-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by CLR01

If i remember correctly he said Schu recommend or was high on Ritchie. I dont remember reading about KW saying it was RS's idea to trade 3 arms for one, or RS's decision to actually pull the trigger on the deal.

KW consulted RS before making the trade and had Schu's blessing..... at least that's the way I made it out. And as for Ritchie..... he's gone from suck to blow. This guy is terrible.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-07-2002, 06:53 PM
Is Ritchie a "10 and 5" player? it would be great to include him as a throw in in a deal with Ray or Sandy or someone. he isnt worth it. KW and the sox should admit they made a bad choice, and leave it at that.

oh and FIRE NARDI!!!!!!

Jerry_Manuel
07-07-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
Is Ritchie a "10 and 5" player? it would be great to include him as a throw in in a deal with Ray or Sandy or someone. he isnt worth it. KW and the sox should admit they made a bad choice, and leave it at that.

It's 10 years in the league, 5 with the same team. So Todd doesn't meet that rule, according to the newest Gammons some teams might be interested in him.

Anywho, Gammons isn't right, and the Sox don't admit their wrong. So it's one more year with Todd.

Tragg
07-07-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Typical Williams. He blames his predecessor for a mess that he's created. Someone needs to lose their job over this, and that someone is none other than Lenny.

While Williams should take his medicine and not blame anyone, it certainly wouldn't suprise me that Schueler had his hands in this - he made wretched trades and aquisitions himself.. Both he and Scheuler need to hit the road.

mrwag
07-07-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

While Williams should take his medicine and not blame anyone, it certainly wouldn't suprise me that Schueler had his hands in this - he made wretched trades and aquisitions himself.. Both he and Scheuler need to hit the road.

Larry Himes built this club to a near dynasty, then Schu started the fall and KW put the final nail in the coffin. Folks, its 1985 again. It's going to be another 6 years until we start winning.... if we're lucky.

Tragg
07-07-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by mrwag

Larry Himes built this club to a near dynasty, then Schu started the fall and KW put the final nail in the coffin. Folks, its 1985 again. It's going to be another 6 years until we start winning.... if we're lucky.

I will never forget Schu's love affair with Cory Snyder when he first took over (I think it was Schu).

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-07-2002, 10:10 PM
ESPN's PETER GAMMONS

Chicago White Sox: Todd Ritchie. GMs say the Sox will go to August and decide if they're in or out, which could free some other pitchers.

Foulke, Howry?

Tragg
07-07-2002, 11:10 PM

Foulke, Howry?

Probably. Osuna, Glover, hell anyone but Buerhle, Garland or Wright I would guess. I would still like to start foulke a few times to see if he can handle that. I don't see a downside. With their years, neither foulke nor howry will bring a lot.

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2002, 12:28 AM
I have had enough with Ritchie's shinanigans this season. I think it's about time that we release him and bring up an arm from the minors...And I agree that Ritchie is looking more and more like Navarro each outing he has. Speaking of Navarro, we traded John Snyder along with him to Milwaukee...I wonder if there is any way we can get John Snyder back on this pitching staff! At least he actually cared! What has happened with Snyder?

Heather the Redbird

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
I have had enough with Ritchie's shinanigans this season. I think it's about time that we release him and bring up an arm from the minors..

Heather the Redbird here i am going to defend him when i been bashing him since the trade.......... he is a qualify #4 or 5 pit......... we still need arms.......... at least he is one.

this season is a wash concerning arms from the minors, unless jon rauch comes into his own. other than that.......... who knows. with the strike around the corner, what can we do?

harwar
07-08-2002, 08:49 AM
I went ballistic when i heard about the trade and other guys said i was over-reacting.I wonder where all those guys are now that said KW was making a good move when he aquired that useless piece of flotsom.

hold2dibber
07-08-2002, 08:53 AM
I too have been a Ritchie defender for most of the year. I never thought he was going to win a Cy Young, but he was always a solid major league pitcher and it seemed like all the Sox needed was a solid major league pitcher who would give them 200 plus innings and an ERA in the 4.00 to 4.50 range. All indications were that Ritchie could give that. But he has been absolutely horrific of late; very reminiscent of Navarro. He is killing this team right now; if he was pitching anywhere near the level he has with Pittsburgh, I think the Sox would be 3.5 or 4.5 games out, instead of 7.5. That said, I'd be surprised if anyone would give up much of anything for him and I'd be surprised if KW would admit his mistake by giving up Ritchie for little or nothing in return. This year is shot anyway, so I think the Sox should continue to trot Ritchie out there every fifth day in hopes that he can get himself righted so he is back to being a decent pitcher by next year or so he has some trade value over the winter. Of course, getting himself straightened out may require the move that everyone wants and is so obviously needed -- the firing of Nardi. I know this is a radical thought -- but I think the Sox should have a pitching coach who actuallly makes the pitchers better instead of worse!

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-08-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

Probably. Osuna, Glover, hell anyone but Buerhle, Garland or Wright I would guess. I would still like to start foulke a few times to see if he can handle that. I don't see a downside. With their years, neither foulke nor howry will bring a lot.

it saddens me to know that we could have had Eric Gagne for Howry. we probably would have used gagne wrong but ya never know.

hold2dibber
07-08-2002, 12:59 PM

it saddens me to know that we could have had Eric Gagne for Howry. we probably would have used gagne wrong but ya never know.

I heard some pre-season rumors about the possibility of Howry for Gagne. But do you have some reason to think that the Sox actualy could have made that deal happen (as opposed to, for instance, the Sox making that offer and the Dodgers shooting it down)?

Huisj
07-08-2002, 02:12 PM
ritchie had a dreadful first half last year too. didn't he lose like his first 10 decisions or something close to that? he was terrible, and then turned it around a bit and had a pretty strong second half.

not that he'll surely do that this year too, but who knows.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 03:36 PM

He wouldn't have been the closer here. Who knows what kind of success he would have had changing leagues and such.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I heard some pre-season rumors about the possibility of Howry for Gagne. But do you have some reason to think that the Sox actualy could have made that deal happen (as opposed to, for instance, the Sox making that offer and the Dodgers shooting it down)? it was true, we discuss that topic before, kw was trying to get an additional prospect out of the dodgers...... what an idiot.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
it was true, we discuss that topic before, kw was trying to get an additional prospect out of the dodgers...... what an idiot.

Gagne was 4-6 with a 5.15 era in 2000, 6-7 4.75 era in 2001. Had 79 K's and 60 BB's in 2000, 130 and 46 in 2001.

What does that say about Dan Evans that he would trade Gagne for Bob Howry?

Gagne has worked out great as a closer, who knows how he would've been used here.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 04:24 PM

Gagne was 4-6 with a 5.15 era in 2000, 6-7 4.75 era in 2001. Had 79 K's and 60 BB's in 2000, 130 and 46 in 2001.

What does that say about Dan Evans that he would trade Gagne for Bob Howry?

Gagne has worked out great as a closer, who knows how he would've been used here. :) you got me........

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
:) you got me........

No biggie.

Was just trying to say that if Williams is an idiot for not getting Gagne, then Evans is more of an idiot for almost dealing him for Bob Howry.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 04:32 PM

No biggie.

Was just trying to say that if Williams is an idiot for not getting Gagne, then Evans is more of an idiot for almost dealing him for Bob Howry.

oh.... i thought it was b/c i was touting evan as being the better gm then kw in my other post........ but that was still a great catch........ i will admit my defeat........ and ref to your post, yeah both was an idiots....... kw for not accepting it, and evans for offering.....

but let me redeem myself, lets just say that evans does know what kind of a bozo we the sox have as a pitching coach and thought that theirs could bring back gascan????? :smile:

Soxheads
07-08-2002, 04:52 PM

No biggie.

We probably would've gotten Ritchied on that deal anyway. :smile: