PDA

View Full Version : Overstock.com Coliseumm--Home of the Oakland Athletics

SephClone89
04-27-2011, 12:40 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Oakland-Raiders-get-a-new-ridiculous-stadiu?urn=nfl-wp1313

Of course the football-obsessed media will just keep talking about it as the new Raiders stadium, even though it's ****ing baseball season.

eriqjaffe
04-27-2011, 12:53 PM
"I'm looking at you, KFC Yum! Center." :lol:

MUsoxfan
04-27-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm surprised it only costs $1m/year to slap your name on that place

ewokpelts
04-27-2011, 02:15 PM
wow. bad name for a stadium.

sunofgold
04-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Not overstocked with baseball fans. Ouch, that was bad. Sorry.

Hitmen77
04-27-2011, 02:43 PM
The A's just need a new stadium regardless of what they call the Coliseum. Selig needs to stop stalling and recommend that they can move to San Jose already.

EDIT: by the way, the Coliseum was called "Network Associates" and then "McAfee" Coliseum for a while, but that naming rights deal ended a couple of years ago.

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2011, 02:54 PM
I despise corporate name for stadiums.
I'm sure we will see one of the bowl game stadiums sell out to Tidy Bowl.

DSpivack
04-27-2011, 02:55 PM
I despise corporate name for stadiums.
I'm sure we will see one of the bowl game stadiums sell out to Tidy Bowl.

I don't mind it, US Cellular Field is certainly a lot better off with all the money they got.

doublem23
04-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't mind it, US Cellular Field is certainly a lot better off with all the money they got.

Yeah, and honestly the experience at the park is never all that different. Comiskey Park felt the exact same as U.S. Cellular Field until they started really making progress on the renovations.

Honestly, it's not really any different that rich owners putting their own names on the stadiums.

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah, and honestly the experience at the park is never all that different. Comiskey Park felt the exact same as U.S. Cellular Field until they started really making progress on the renovations.

Honestly, it's not really any different that rich owners putting their own names on the stadiums.

Some of the great places that were not named after owners or corporations:

Yankee Stadium
Dodger Stadium
Fenway Park
White Sox Park
Sportsmens Park
Polo Grounds
Tiger Stadium
Chicago Stadium
Montreal Forum
Maple Leaf Gardens
Detroit Olympia
Madison Sq Garden
Boston Garden
Soldier Field

Those are just a few, there are others but these were the best.

ewokpelts
04-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Some of the great places that were not named after owners or corporations:

Yankee Stadium
Dodger Stadium - frank mccourt was shopping the naming rights around
Fenway Park
White Sox Park - also known as comiskey park
Sportsmens Park - was renamed busch stadium when the team sold
Polo Grounds
Tiger Stadium - opened as NAVIN FIELD, named after the team's then owner. Later known as BRIGGS STADIUM, after ANOTHER tigers owner.
Chicago Stadium
Montreal Forum
Maple Leaf Gardens
Detroit Olympia
Madison Sq Garden
Boston Garden
Soldier Field

Those are just a few, there are others but these were the best.

sorry. not quite. look at what i wrote in bold

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2011, 04:11 PM
sorry. not quite. look at what i wrote in bold

I knew all that but at at one point they were not named after a person or corp.
I will add a few more.
Candlestick Park
The Spectrum
Braves Field
Cleve Municipal, KC Municipal, Baltimore Memorial, Milwaukee County, Metropolitan Stadium
Giants Stadium
The Mecca
LA Forum
LA Coliseum
International Amphitheatre

TDog
04-27-2011, 04:28 PM
White Sox Park.

White Sox Park was the official name for a few years in the 1970s mostly officially known as Comiskey Park from 1910 to 1990. Otherwise, it was (at least when I was growing up) a widely used unofficial nickname.

Candlestick, one-time home to the Giants and site of the last non-rooftop Beatles concert, was a pretty good name for a ballpark, but it was named for the geographic feature on which it was located that made it a lousy place for baseball, I've been told. I've only drove past it a couple of times when it was a football-only field called Monster. I've been told that Candlestick was the result of a naming contest in the community.

The last time I drove past the ballpark in Oakland, the I-880 exit signs still called the coliseum McAfee, although any trace of the name on the stadium had long since been removed. Whatever they call it, that ballpark in Oakland is a really depressing place to watch the White Sox lose.

hi im skot
04-27-2011, 04:47 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Oakland-Raiders-get-a-new-ridiculous-stadiu?urn=nfl-wp1313

Of course the football-obsessed media will just keep talking about it as the new Raiders stadium, even though it's ****ing baseball season.

Probably because it's a football stadium that a baseball team happens to play in.

:shrug:

TDog
04-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Probably because it's a football stadium that a baseball team happens to play in.

:shrug:

More accurately, it was a baseball field that a football team destroyed.

ComiskeyBrewer
04-27-2011, 05:35 PM
I will add a few more.
Candlestick Park
The Spectrum
Braves Field
Cleve Municipal, KC Municipal, Baltimore Memorial, Milwaukee County, Metropolitan Stadium
Giants Stadium
The Mecca
LA Forum
LA Coliseum

One of the greatest names ever, IMO.

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2011, 05:46 PM
More accurately, it was a baseball field that a football team destroyed.

Actually it was designed for football and baseball like the other horrible stadiums from that era, Three Rivers, Riverfront, Busch, Shea and Veterans.

TDog
04-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Actually it was designed for football and baseball like the other horrible stadiums from that era, Three Rivers, Riverfront, Busch, Shea and Veterans.

What makes it a really bad baseball stadium is what is known out here as Mount Davis which was built for the return of the Raiders. It's true there always has been too much foul territory, but before second-generation football renovations, when it was a baseball-only stadium, it wasn't so bad.

ewokpelts
04-27-2011, 07:16 PM
I will add a few more.
Candlestick Park - 3com park, monster park
The Spectrum - wacovia spectrum
Braves Field
Giants Stadium
The Mecca
LA Forum - great western forum
LA Coliseum

sorry. found a few more holes

Lamp81
04-27-2011, 10:46 PM
I can still hear Hawk and Don Drysdale welcoming us to Oakland Alameda County Coliseum back in the early 80s watching Sox games. There was something about the way it would roll off the tongue of Drysdale, I always liked that name for the Coliseum.

Even though the A's do need a new stadium, I do like having that place, as it is so unique, because of the immense foul grounds. Nearly every other stadium has very little foul grounds as they need to sell more seats. Remeber when the Cell lost much of it's foul grounds during the renovation. The new Yankee Stadium took away that huge area behind home plate that the old Stadium had, and Wrigley Field has filled in a lot of their area behind home plate as well.

Too bad the Sox play so badly there year in and year out.

Brian26
04-27-2011, 10:55 PM
What makes it a really bad baseball stadium is what is known out here as Mount Davis which was built for the return of the Raiders. It's true there always has been too much foul territory, but before second-generation football renovations, when it was a baseball-only stadium, it wasn't so bad.

The view over the outfield was magnificent in the 80s. The grassy berms and the mountains in the background made it a combination between KC and Chavez Ravine.

RadioheadRocks
04-27-2011, 11:51 PM
"Let's all go to the O.Co!" :rolling:

skobabe8
04-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Im confused why the article blasts baseball and college basketball for corporate named stadiums, but seems to think that this is new territory for the NFL.

:scratch: