PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4-26 Floyd shaves Yanks; Santos, Lillibridge save the day Postgamer

soxinem1
04-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Great effort by Gavin, however it is obvious Thornton's confidence is shot.

Big HR by Paulie, and game-savers by Lillibridge!!

Two in a row!!

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Two in a row is a good start...

GoGoCrede
04-26-2011, 10:03 PM
That was one of the most amazing things ever! I love Lillibridge.

soltrain21
04-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Lillibridge for captain.

LITTLE NELL
A winning streak:bandance::bandance::bandance:

aryzner
Lillibridge!!!

soxnut1018
You gotta be bleeping me! :bandance:

Nelfox02
what a finish by Brent

when that last hit left the bat I was like please dont score both....but what a catch!!!

yes! hell yes!!!

asindc
If anyone other than Lillibridge wins PTC, I demand a recount. :bandance::bandance:

ElevenUp
04-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Great start to a big night in Chicago sports!:gulp:

russ99
Lillibeast Rocks! :gulp:

Go Sox, keep it going.

Zakath
Sam Fuld who?

That's a nominee for Catch of the Year.

GoGoCrede
Was sure that was the game winner right there...amazing.

LongLiveFisk
I am happy for Brent. He was really getting ripped around here for a while there.

Don't stop now, boys!! :bandance:

NDSox12
Brent Lillibridge!!! Uh, nice work Gavin too!

soltrain21
04-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Sam Fuld who?

That's a nominee for Catch of the Year.

Eh...let's not get carried away. Fuld's catch was insane.

vinny
Way to not give this one away, boys!

Lillibridge definitely ate his Wheaties this morning.

Gavin with a great performance, Santos with another save, Paulie with the big dinger.

What's not to love?
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

manders_01
Holy mother! :o: Lillibridge just wanted to let everyone know he deserves to be on this team. What a way to save a game! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Marqhead
Can't remember being this tense for April baseball. All the reasons I hate this game are the same reasons I absolutely love it.

Great game for Gavin, great defense for The Beast.

Hell yes!

Cat Thief
Holy ****! Lets get the Trifecta tonight!

voodoochile
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6755&d=1280731952

RAWR!

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

Crooked Number
Holy **** two fabulous catches by the lillibeast!!!! Incredible.

Gavin pitched amazing. Ozzie managed very well. I love that he went to Santos. He wasn't doing that earlier in the year. He would leave Matt in there. Ozzie has had two solid games here.

Two very good baseball games in a row. This is big step in the right direction. On the biggest stage. Keep it going tomorrow Mark.

johnnyg83
04-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Hard to believe Gavin's 3-1.

Nice game, White Sox.

WhiteSox5187
Brent Lillibridge is our closer.

rowand33
I can't remember the last time I've seen an outfielder make two amazing catches for two straight outs. And I've never seen it to save a game before...

Awesome.

Frater Perdurabo
I guess we have our defensive RF-er after all.

Suddenly Ozzie is pushing all the right buttons.

soxlady8
The Bridge is awesome !!!!

nice win ... close ... but YES a CIGAR !!!

ChiSoxGal85
Not only one catch, but 2 amazing catches back to back to save the game....

:superman: Brent!!!

Carneyman14
brent lillibridge is our closer.
potw

Madvora
04-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Reminiscent of Aaron Rowand tearing up the NY outfield in 2005.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
:hawk

"Santos with the save, Lillibridge with the catches, PK with the go-ahead HR, Floyd with the outstanding start...I can't stand it!"

Streets
Lillibeast!

Amazing..

Two more games going on still.. mind is overwhelmed!

WhiteSox5187
Holy **** two fabulous catches by the lillibeast!!!! Incredible.

Gavin pitched amazing. Ozzie managed very well. I love that he went to Santos. He wasn't doing that earlier in the year. He would leave Matt in there. Ozzie has had two solid games here.

Two very good baseball games in a row. This is big step in the right direction. On the biggest stage. Keep it going tomorrow Mark.

I think Ozzie did a great job managing that ninth. Let Gavin try to close it out, if he can't he had the lefty-lefty combo and took away a lot of Texeira's power by turning him around (Texiera was also 1-10 against him), and if doesn't end there go to Sergio.

tstrike2000
04-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Unbelievable. First Humber and now Floyd, Paulie, and Littlebridge are stallions.

GoGoCrede
04-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Still love A-Rod's premature celebration before seeing that Lillibridge caught it.

GoGoCrede
04-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Great start from my favorite guy. Go #34!

soxfan21
Great win today, nice to see lillibridge showing this team how to play defense

Bucky F. Dent
Great catches from Lillibridge, but Gavin has to get the PTC.

DrCrawdad
I wish I could have seen the catches!

DirtySox
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
I only caught the 9th as I was watching the Bulls, but wow. Lillibridge is a wizard.

Corlose 15
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
An amazing two plays by Lillibridge.

Floyd could be onto something special if he has his typical June-August.

soxlady8
04-26-2011, 10:14 PM
I hope that if Santos becomes the closer... Thornton will gain his confidence back as he keeps the old job !!

I know this might not be pertinent, but I was a primary teacher for 11 years of my career. I was a REALLY GOOD primary teacher too. The last two years I have been basically forced to teach middle school because of my endorsements and no one in my school has them. (yeah ... good luck finding a primary education job at another school... that is why I have kept what I have ). Two years into it and I still feel like I was thrown deep in the ocean with no life jacket.

DrCrawdad
04-26-2011, 10:14 PM
I love every win but wins over the Yankees are extra special. And to those who say Sox fans like me enjoy Cubs losses more than Sox wins, I say I enjoy a Sox win over the Yankees more than wins over the Cubbies!

This was S-W-E-E-T!

ChiSoxGal85
04-26-2011, 10:15 PM
ok, so in my mind I had written off these games in NY in the loss column.

I LOVE to be wrong.

Even though the offense hasn't exactly exploded, they've done just enough to win. Phil's near-no hitter yesteray; Gavin was lights out today; Sergio is filling the bill; they're playing mostly error-free ball - and extra-good D in some cases (Lillibridge, I'm talking to you).

Amazing. Good stuff guys. Let's do it again tomorrow!:bandance:

rookie
04-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Holy ****! Lets get the Trifecta tonight!

Yup, let's make it a happy day in Chicago tomorrow!

Was sure that was the game winner right there...amazing.

So did I. Glad that Brent proved me wrong!

Tragg
04-26-2011, 10:18 PM
IN the spirit of consistency and "what's good for the goose..." let me thank Joe Girardi for the 9th inning bunt: hell ya, Joe.

Can't wait to see Lillibridge's catches.
Defensive replacements with the lead should be routine.

MountainCur
04-26-2011, 10:22 PM
lets also thank the $12m/yr set-up man

And the fact that we get to face Colon next.

asindc
04-26-2011, 10:22 PM
IN the spirit of consistency and "what's good for the goose..." let me thank Joe Girardi for the 9th inning bunt: hell ya, Joe.

Good on ya. :smile:

thomas35forever
04-26-2011, 10:23 PM
I didn't get to watch the game, but I can't wait to see the catches Lillibridge made to win it.

voodoochile
04-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Ozzie's moves tonight all paid off. He put Lillibridge in to PR for Carlos and play RF. All the kid does is score the tying run and save the day with his glove.

Even the maligned Teahen hit the ball so hard with so much spin that Cano couldn't field it. Not that the Sox did anything with that 1-3 opportunity, but Teahen performed and than Omar came in to play third.

Thornton didn't do great but Santos slammed the door with the help of the aforementioned amazing glove work by the beast.

You could make an argument for any of three guys to get the PTC tonight, Floyd, PK or Lilibridge. They all deserve it and I fully expect to have to drag out Daver's elephant gun for my selection, but who cares, I'll die with a smile on my face.

Nelfox02
04-26-2011, 10:27 PM
after all the crummy late blown lead losses we've had in this young season.....it was nice to actually get some big plays like that to save a game......this team, us fans.....deserved some good baseball karma.

try to grab at least one more in NYY and come home and have a solid homestand......cant say that I am fully back on the bus yet but its steps in the right direction for sure

and for one night at least, its good to be a fan of this team.....

Lip Man 1
04-26-2011, 10:29 PM
This and that:

2nd time this year the Sox won a game when trailing in the 7th inning or later.

Offense is still in deep hibernation, 11 times in the past 12 games they've scored three runs or less. (Now if the Sox can get the kind of pitching and defense that the Sox of the 60's consistently put out, they'll be fine...if not...)

Some of the best catches I've ever seen tonight by Lillibridge.

Santos is now the closer...period.

Lip

ChicagoG19
04-26-2011, 10:31 PM
I say pull Pierre and put Lillibeast in as starter.

Noneck
04-26-2011, 10:31 PM
I know division games are more important, I know the twins are the Sox rival but to me there is nothing better than beating the yanks.

Brian26
04-26-2011, 10:32 PM
You could make an argument for any of three guys to get the PTC tonight, Floyd, PK or Lilibridge. They all deserve it and I fully expect to have to drag out Daver's elephant gun for my selection, but who cares, I'll die with a smile on my face.

There should be no need for an elephant gun tonight. Without those two catches, the Sox lose the game. Lillibridge is the correct call.

soxinem1
04-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Santos is now the closer...period.

Lip

Hey, the 2005 White Sox had three closers. Sometimes you have to sift through the options you have before you find something that works.

Let's hope this works.

Corlose 15
04-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Hey, the 2005 White Sox had three closers. Sometimes you have to sift through the options you have before you find something that works.

Let's hope this works.

Only Takatsu struggled though. Hermanson was lights out until he got hurt and Jenks was good down the stretch.

DumpJerry
04-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Did the Yankees tip their hat to the White Sox?:tongue:

Red Barchetta
04-26-2011, 10:39 PM
They hit Santos hard, however Lillibridge saves the game (twice)! :D: No way Quentin makes those plays!

Good job by Gavin and Paulie as well!

BoysMom3
04-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Amazing!! Just incredible!!!! The second Lillibridge catch made me lose it. Started yelling my head off and woke up my youngest and made him cry. Haha, just talking about it makes me want to yell again. That was a FUN game!!!!

asindc
04-26-2011, 10:41 PM
On YES just a minute ago, Arod was asked if he tips his cap to Humber and Gavin. He nodded yes.

manders_01
04-26-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm a little relived I decided not to go out so I could watch the Sox, Bulls and Rockies games simultaneously cause I would have made one hell of a fool out of myself after each of those catches. It's okay to be as loud as one would be if this was Game 4 of the World Series or the like when you are alone in your living room. Not so much in public! :redface: :D:

ChiSoxGal85
04-26-2011, 10:45 PM
I read earlier today that the Yanks did "tip their cap" to Humber. Think it was Jeter who said it. Hah!

Noneck
04-26-2011, 10:46 PM

Yea, Good luck Jeter, Arod Teixeira tippin their caps.

vinny
04-26-2011, 10:47 PM
MLB.com has the catches on video now.

Catch at the wall:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14189465

Game ender:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14189617

That first one looked awkward, kind of like, "Oh please God let the ball drop in my glove as I stick my arm out." The second was a great snag, not fully extended, but diving nonetheless.

manders_01
04-26-2011, 10:48 PM
On YES just a minute ago, Arod was asked if he tips his cap to Humber and Gavin. He nodded yes.

As well he should. Glad to see our boys getting some respect.

TDog
04-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Eh...let's not get carried away. Fuld's catch was insane.

I agree. Fuld's catch was on a short list of the best I've ever seen. But Fuld only ended an inning to kept his team from getting blown out in a game the Rays went on to lose. Lillibridge's catch was more situationally important. I haven't seen a White Sox non-pitching defensive player take over the end of a game like Lillibridge tonight since Juan Uribe brought the 2005 season to a close. That ball tonight was going to end the game whether Lillibridge caught it or not. And it immediately followed another game saving catch.

If the Sox played outfield defense like that before they stopped hitting, thornton would have at least a couple of saves.

Tonight's game, ultimately, was decided by defensive execution. The way Floyd was pitching, the Sox defense wasn't tested much. But once again, the Sox scored their first run in large part because of a Granderson mistake in center. This time it was a catch Granderson should have made. It was a tough play, but a play he should have made. A dropped throw to second aided the stolen base and Beckham came though with the single to the right side.

The Sox put four runners into scoring position, but only Beckham came through. Three times it came down to Pierre with two outs to get the big hit, and three times he didn't. I was looking for him to dump one into left as shallow as Chavez was playing to take away the bunt. When Pierre did get the hit, he extended his caught stealing lead. The Sox offense would have looked a lot better tonight if Pierre had a good night. When you see five runs scored between two teams in a game and only one of the runs were in scoring position, it isn't an offensive day (or night).

As it turned out, the only hit Quentin needed was off his shoulder and Konerko did what he needed to do to win.

So did Floyd. He pitched nearly as well as Humber did Monday night. The Yankees didn't get a baserunner past first tuntil the ninth. Floyd gave up two solo home runs, but he pitched almost the entire game out of the windup. This was the best pitching in back-to-back starts the Sox have had this year.

Guillen might be secnod-guessed for sending Floyd out for the ninth. It wouldn't have been a bad move but for the infield hit. Bringing Thornton in pretty much assured that the Yankees would sacrifice with Granderson because of his lack of success with Thornton over his career.

Santos didn't really fool the hitters he faced, so some will say that Guillen got away with a mistake. But if that's the case, he is wrongly being blamed for making the right moves with the bullpen that backfired earlier in the season.

But good White Sox fans know the Yankees handed the White Sox the game tonight, first by bringing in an incompetent overpaid reliever to cough up the lead and second by giving up an out in the ninth with a sacrifice.

This one was never in doubt. At least not when I saw the ball in Lillibridge's glove.

Nelfox02
04-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Amazing!! Just incredible!!!! The second Lillibridge catch made me lose it. Started yelling my head off and woke up my youngest and made him cry. Haha, just talking about it makes me want to yell again. That was a FUN game!!!!

did the same thing, woke up my daughter.....I would say that was that last catch was the most exciting thing for me since opening day......finally some good lat inning karma for this team

manders_01
04-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Still love A-Rod's premature celebration before seeing that Lillibridge caught it.

I think I'm a little more partial to Cano's helmet slam. :D:

BoysMom3
04-26-2011, 10:55 PM

Hahaha, that was awesome.

I'm a little relived I decided not to go out so I could watch the Sox, Bulls and Rockies games simultaneously cause I would have made one hell of a fool out of myself after each of those catches. It's okay to be as loud as one would be if this was Game 4 of the World Series or the like when you are alone in your living room. Not so much in public! :redface: :D:

You and me both, Manders! So glad I can yell this summer and not have to hear - BoysMom! We're living in an apartment!!! Yessss!!!!

SBSoxFan
04-26-2011, 10:56 PM
I think I'm a little more partial to Cano's helmet slam. :D:

Can anyone out there read lips? Jeter finished walking to home plate after Lillibridge's catch, looked at the umpire and said: "Wow." I can't tell what he said after that. :bandance:

fram40
04-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Can anyone out there read lips? Jeter finished walking to home plate after Lillibridge's catch, looked at the umpire and said: "Wow." I can't tell what he said after that. :bandance:

I wondered the same thing.

And I guess I am back on the abndwagon watching this team. not watching - being all po'ed - lasted about three games.

Santos is my closer.

voodoochile
The replays of both catches are simply incredible. You can see the intense concentration on Brent's face, tongue hanging out the corner of his mouth eyes glued to the baseball all the way into the mitt in both cases. People talk about fundamental baseball and we sometimes are prone to attribute great plays to raw athleticism or great reflexes. I have no doubt that Brent is an excellent athlete with good fast twitch muscles, the ability to read the ball well of the bat and good speed, but he made those catches in large part because he did what they teach you to do at all levels of baseball - watch the ball into your mitt.

rookie

I know. We almost went out tonight with all of the games and the Tuesday drink specials, but then I wouldn't be able to hear the sound. And I doubt the bar would've have switched to the Sox on CS+2 and I would've missed the best part of the game. Plus I saved some money!

I know, my sister was watching the Bulls in the other room, and was confused about what was going on. I had to text my friend who loves Lillibridge so she could watch the replay.

SephClone89
04-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Hahaha, that was awesome.

You and me both, Manders! So glad I can yell this summer and not have to hear - BoysMom! We're living in an apartment!!! Yessss!!!!

Your kids call you "BoysMom"?

manders_01
04-26-2011, 11:04 PM

No, her husband! :tongue:

BoysMom3
04-26-2011, 11:08 PM

Seph, that would have been my husband shushing me...and yes, yes he does call me BoysMom. LOL!!! (j/k)

WhiteSox1989
04-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Great game. Great pitching by Floyd, and great defense by Lillibridge to save the win.

Now please go on a winning streak..

GoGoCrede
04-26-2011, 11:09 PM
No, her husband! :tongue:

Her husband's name is BoysMom, of course. :)

BringHomeDaBacon
04-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Ivan Nova comes into the game with a 7.63 ERA and 1.826 WHIP and the Sox manage 7 baserunners and 1 run in 6 1/3 IP. That's pathetic.

I'm glad they won but the pitching and defense doesn't change the fact the offense continues to suck balls. Brad Penny? Ivan Nova? You can officially throw that "ran into good pitching" excuse out the window.

BoysMom3
04-26-2011, 11:12 PM
That's the kind of game that will keep me smiling for a few hours. Makes up for a ton of crappy games. I could do a Yoplait commercial after that. It's - Lillibridge stealing the game from the Yankees..twice...good.

Brian26
04-26-2011, 11:12 PM

Scouting Report on the Yankees for the Playoffs:

They can't his a curve ball out of the infield.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Add Chatwood to that list. He doesn't scare anybody. Yea the Sox are still in a deep funk offensively, like I posted earlier 11 of the last 12 games they've scored three runs or less.

That's pretty poor regardless of who is pitching.

Maybe catching a few breaks the past few nights can get them back going again mentally and maybe that will start to show results hitting the baseball.

Lip

Brian26
04-26-2011, 11:18 PM
MLB.com has the catches on video now.

Catch at the wall:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14189465

Game ender:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14189617

In the 2nd video at about :33 seconds, watch Beckham jump in the air when Lillibridge makes the catch. Awesome.

tstrike2000
04-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Ozzie for manager of the year.

skobabe8
04-26-2011, 11:33 PM

+1

I know he's spent extra time working with Lillibridge on diving catches in RF.

palehozenychicty
04-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Ivan Nova comes into the game with a 7.63 ERA and 1.826 WHIP and the Sox manage 7 baserunners and 1 run in 6 1/3 IP. That's pathetic.

I'm glad they won but the pitching and defense doesn't change the fact the offense continues to suck balls. Brad Penny? Ivan Nova? You can officially throw that "ran into good pitching" excuse out the window.

The offense has been abysmal. They should have won these games going away if they hit better with RISP.

palehozenychicty
04-26-2011, 11:38 PM
That being said, I love our team beating the Yankees and Soriano already is getting booed hard by the Yankee fans. :tongue:

slavko
04-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Not to spoil the warm glow and there is a warm glow, but the three outs were a sacrifice and 2 great catches. Lockdown bullpen? Better than before, I guess.

guillensdisciple
04-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Just came back from vacation. Saw we sucked ass against the Tigers but are doing work against the Yanks. I'll take it for now.

IronFisk
04-27-2011, 12:21 AM

If Lillibridge doesn't save our butts...this would have been a MAJOR Fire Ozzie thread. I'm still ticked he pulled Gavin.

Got lucky...but that's baseball. Two in a row against Yanks...keep it rollin' boyz!

:gulp:

voodoochile
04-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Not to spoil the warm glow and there is a warm glow, but the three outs were a sacrifice and 2 great catches. Lockdown bullpen? Better than before, I guess.

And the first hit was a jam job that happened to trickle slowly enough for the batter to reach base.

Just for the record at the task of not spoiling a warm fuzzy glow, you suck...:tongue:

Lamp81
04-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Our 2 kids ran into our room to see what my wife and I were cheering so hard about. Got to rewind the DVR and show the kids the 2 great plays.

Too bad they were shown in blurry SD on CSN+2, while CSN+ was talking about hockey in HD on CSN+! :angry:

Bruizer
04-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Jeter mouthing "Wow" to the ump after the second catch - priceless! :cool:

TDog
04-27-2011, 01:20 AM

Outfield defense. What a concept.

Boondock Saint
04-27-2011, 01:22 AM

The final 2 outs were A-Rod and Cano, two of baseball's best/hottest hitters.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Outfield defense. What a concept.

One that is completely lost on the organization that planned on using Lastings Milledge as a fourth OF.

TDog
04-27-2011, 01:55 AM
One that is completely lost on the organization that planned on using Lastings Milledge as a fourth OF.

It's also lost on many fans who judge position players by their OPS.

doublem23
04-27-2011, 01:57 AM
It's also lost on many fans who judge position players by their OPS.

Well I'm sold, obviously the Sox need to start Brent Lillibridge in RF everyday and they'll win the World Series GUARAN-****ING-TEED.

TDog
04-27-2011, 02:45 AM
Well I'm sold, obviously the Sox need to start Brent Lillibridge in RF everyday and they'll win the World Series GUARAN-****ING-TEED.

I didn't say that. In fact, I have never argued that Lillibridge should start, only that he shouldn't be sent down, especially considering he is the only viable backup center fielder on the roster who isn't already starting at shortstop. I actually don't think Quentin is such a bad corner outfielder, although he wouldn't have won the game for the Sox in right in the ninth tonight. Fortunately, Lillibridge was in the right place at the right time.

I was lamenting the way this team was put together, including one or two personnel moves that were popular among fans that ignored defense.

If you want to jump on that to attack me, I suppose it's your prerogative. But I would rather give the White Sox credit for playing great baseball Monday and Tuesday nights in New York.

Foulke You
04-27-2011, 02:50 AM
The replays of both catches are simply incredible. You can see the intense concentration on Brent's face, tongue hanging out the corner of his mouth eyes glued to the baseball all the way into the mitt in both cases. People talk about fundamental baseball and we sometimes are prone to attribute great plays to raw athleticism or great reflexes. I have no doubt that Brent is an excellent athlete with good fast twitch muscles, the ability to read the ball well of the bat and good speed, but he made those catches in large part because he did what they teach you to do at all levels of baseball - watch the ball into your mitt.
Good post. In addition to enjoying Brent's skill at making the catches, I also loved the raw emotion that was shown after the diving catch to end the game. It was great to finally see some actual fire in this team when he slapped the ground holding the baseball in his mitt and letting out a yell. Beckham jumping, Sergio yelling, Brent yelling, and high fives all around. After sleepwalking through the Rays and Tigers series, the team is alive for the first time this entire road trip. I hope we look back on this game as a turning point for the 2011 White Sox.

October26
04-27-2011, 08:01 AM

Our 2 kids ran into our room to see what my wife and I were cheering so hard about. Got to rewind the DVR and show the kids the 2 great plays.

I love reading comments like yours and other Sox fans here on WSI who enjoy watching games with their families. This is great! :smile:

Oh and I am still doing the :bandance: this morning after the fantastic pitching and defensive show the Sox put on in NY last night! And kudos to Paulie for his GW homer!

kufram
04-27-2011, 08:15 AM
I got updates of the 8th and 9th on my phone at 3:00 am and went back to sleep slightly warmer and more glowy. Ok, glowy is not a word. So what.

I don't see how one can be really angry when we lose a game we should have won because of very poor defense and then be anything but happy because we win one we could have lost because of very GOOD outfield defense. Those were NOT lucky catches.

These are 2 very good, and possibly significant wins, for us. I still feel an offensive awakening sooner rather than later and winning games like this can only put the team in a more positive attitude hopefully making that more likely.

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2011, 08:19 AM
I would somehow like to see what Lillibridge could do on an everyday basis. Has he ever had any extended playing time since he joined the Sox? Problem is; where does he play? The only possibility with Pierre not hitting well and his fielding even worse is TCQ in LF, Lillibridge in CF and Rios in RF.

asindc
04-27-2011, 08:29 AM
I would somehow like to see what Lillibridge could do on an everyday basis. Has he ever had any extended playing time since he joined the Sox? Problem is; where does he play? The only possibility with Pierre not hitting well and his fielding even worse is TCQ in LF, Lillibridge in CF and Rios in RF.

If Pierre continues to play as he has, I can see Lillibridge taking some of Pierre's ABs in a lefty/righty platoon situation. At least when 'Bridge gets a hit, he hits it hard, and he uses his speed in the OF better.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
If Pierre continues to play as he has, I can see Lillibridge taking some of Pierre's ABs in a lefty/righty platoon situation. At least when 'Bridge gets a hit, he hits it hard, and he uses his speed in the OF better.

They need to forget about Juan Pierre completely. He has lost it. He was able to mask the decline in his bat last year by an extraordinary amount of steals. This year, however, his speed as taken a hit (5 SB 6 CS) and his bat is even more inept.

Teahen, Lillibridge and Viciedo are all better in house options.

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2011, 10:26 AM
They need to forget about Juan Pierre completely. He has lost it. He was able to mask the decline in his bat last year by an extraordinary amount of steals. This year, however, his speed as taken a hit (5 SB 6 CS) and his bat is even more inept.

I tend to agree with you since I brought the topic up a couple posts ago.
Who do you think should bat leadoff? Could Alexei handle it?

russ99
04-27-2011, 10:26 AM

They said the same things last year at this time. The CS last night was due to a pitchout. I'm not seeing a decline in baserunning, just that teams are more onto when he's being sent. His bat - if you're hoping for homers and extra base hits - is always going to be assumed as inept.

We have no other in-house leadoff option, so let's see if he can turn it around.

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2011, 10:31 AM
They said the same things last year at this time. The CS last night was due to a pitchout. His bat - if your hoping for homers and extra base hits - is always going to be assumed as inept.

We have no other in-house leadoff option, so let's see if he can turn it around.

At this stage in his career Pierre should consder choking up on the bat ala Nellie fox and Ron Hunt. I wonder if there are any old Nellie Fox bottle bats in some old White Sox trunk.

BoysMom3
04-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Jeter mouthing "Wow" to the ump after the second catch - priceless! :cool:

Love it!

Good post. In addition to enjoying Brent's skill at making the catches, I also loved the raw emotion that was shown after the diving catch to end the game. It was great to finally see some actual fire in this team when he slapped the ground holding the baseball in his mitt and letting out a yell. Beckham jumping, Sergio yelling, Brent yelling, and high fives all around. After sleepwalking through the Rays and Tigers series, the team is alive for the first time this entire road trip. I hope we look back on this game as a turning point for the 2011 White Sox.

Loved all the emotion too. Last night's game was the kind of baseball that can make me cry tears of joy, tehe.

I love reading comments like yours and other Sox fans here on WSI who enjoy watching games with their families. This is great! :smile:

Oh and I am still doing the :bandance: this morning after the fantastic pitching and defensive show the Sox put on in NY last night! And kudos to Paulie for his GW homer!

I'm still psyched this morning too. The only bummer was that I was really looking forward to the post-game show to keep the adrenaline going. But I had to lie down w/ my 7 y.o. after waking him up. He had a hard time falling asleep because he had a headache, so I wanted to comfort him after making him cry.

Then I called ThomeFan at school though. It went sort of like this. Hey. OMG, can you believe that??!!!!!! Lillibridge? Yeah!!!! Twice in a row - were you able to see the game? Yeah, amazing! Gotta go now, watching the Bulls. K, bye! :D:

BringHomeDaBacon
04-27-2011, 10:52 AM
They said the same things last year at this time. The CS last night was due to a pitchout. I'm not seeing a decline in baserunning, just that teams are more onto when he's being sent. His bat - if you're hoping for homers and extra base hits - is always going to be assumed as inept.

This is simplistic analysis. Even based on his previous levels of production his bat has declined significantly. I'm pretty sure everyone around here has noticed that he can't hit the ball with any authority. He hasn't always been this way - he used to regularly hit 35+ extra base hits a year. Last year he had 23. This fact verifies what we are observing - he isn't making solid contact. When he comes to the plate with runners on base and the defense has force out possibilities he is all but useless.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-27-2011, 10:57 AM
I tend to agree with you since I brought the topic up a couple posts ago.
Who do you think should bat leadoff? Could Alexei handle it?

Alexei or Rios would work IMO. It doesn't really matter who leads off as long its a reasonably productive bat. In 2008 even Orlando Cabrera managed to score 93 runs mostly leading off compared to Pierre's 96 last year.

And that fact also demonstrates another point and that is that all those stolen bases attempts don't necessarily translate into more runs.

Chez
04-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Alexei or Rios would work IMO. It doesn't really matter who leads off as long its a reasonably productive bat. In 2008 even Orlando Cabrera managed to score 93 runs mostly leading off compared to Pierre's 96 last year.

And that fact also demonstrates another point and that is that all those stolen bases attempts don't necessarily translate into more runs.

Rios is struggling as much as Pierre. How is this an upgrade?

kittle42
04-27-2011, 11:33 AM
So, wait, just so I understand from the Chicago Tough crowd - now that Lillibridge made a few catches and Santos and Beckham showed some emotion on the field, has the team ceased to be "gutless?"

tstrike2000
04-27-2011, 11:58 AM
So, wait, just so I understand from the Chicago Tough crowd - now that Lillibridge made a few catches and Santos and Beckham showed some emotion on the field, has the team ceased to be "gutless?"

You never know although I didn't think people on message boards spent too much time overanalyzing phrases and overanalyzing other people's spelling and grammar, but apparently that still happens.

kittle42
04-27-2011, 12:05 PM
You never know although I didn't think people on message boards spent too much time overanalyzing phrases and overanalyzing other people's spelling and grammar, but apparently that still happens.

My analysis is done quite quickly and efficiently, thank you. When people stop talking about baseball in terms of guts and bravado and stop butchering the English language worse than a 5 year-old, I'll stop analyzing.

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2011, 12:07 PM
At this stage in his career Pierre should consder choking up on the bat ala Nellie fox and Ron Hunt. I wonder if there are any old Nellie Fox bottle bats in some old White Sox trunk.Just give Hillerich & Bradsby a call. They keep records on every major-league bat they ever made, and can lathe up a batch easily. While you're at it, order a batch for Lillibridge too. These little speed guys should go back to choking up 3-4" on a bigger bat and punch the ball instead of holding light bats down at the knob and swinging away. I seem to remember someone saying that Nellie used a model U1 bat, but I could be mistaken.

Edit: I just did some searching, and found a couple of sources that said Nellie used a C12.
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2009/1253.html

russ99
04-27-2011, 12:10 PM

Alexei doesn't have the patience, contact hitting prowess or speed for the role.

Rios does, but it would be a waste to lead him off when he can be a much more dynamic player lower in the order.

Every April it seems fans of the team he's on takes issue with Pierre. But he's still an average to above average leadoff hitter, and there's a shortage of those in the league. However, he needs to change things up a bit, teams are expecting the bunt to certain places of the field and steals in certain counts.

asindc
04-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Just give Hillerich & Bradsby a call. They keep records on every major-league bat they ever made, and can lathe up a batch easily. While you're at it, order a batch for Lillibridge too. These little speed guys should go back to choking up 3-4" on a bigger bat and punch the ball instead of holding light bats down at the knob and swinging away. I seem to remember someone saying that Nellie used a model U1 bat, but I could be mistaken.

I've often wondered why guys like Pierre, Pods, and Lillibridge don't choke up on the bat like low power/speed guys used to do. I had been thinking that bat technology had improved to the point where it was not necessary, but seeing many low power/speed guys (and not just on the Sox) beat weak grounders into the infield AB after AB after AB (just ask a NYY fan about Jeter the past 2 seasons+ now), I'm guessing it's just a generational trend.

doublem23
04-27-2011, 12:15 PM
My analysis is done quite quickly and efficiently, thank you. When people stop talking about baseball in terms of guts and bravado and stop butchering the English language worse than a 5 year-old, I'll stop analyzing.

It took a lot of guts and balls to give such a Chicago tough answer.

kittle42
04-27-2011, 12:18 PM
It took a lot of guts and balls to give such a Chicago tough answer.

Oh, believe me, my keyboard has blood, guts, and the sweat of a determined, hard-nosed man all over it. Grindy!

fisk4ever
04-27-2011, 12:46 PM

Speaking of guts...butchering a 5 year old?

ShooterMcGavin
04-27-2011, 12:49 PM
You can hang two stars on Lillibridge's catches. Game savers. I liked his reaction of slamming his hand to the ground after his game-ending, diving catch.

Harry Potter
04-27-2011, 12:55 PM
I liked his reaction of slamming his hand to the ground after his game-ending, diving catch.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2011/04/27/gal_backpage_0427.jpg (javascript:LoadGallery(nextImage, false))

#1swisher
04-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Scott Merkin (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110427&content_id=18296760&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws)

"That's why we decided to keep him, because we know he can play the outfield", said Ozzie.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2011/04/27/gal_backpage_0427.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:LoadGallery%28nextImage,%20false%29)

WhiteSox5187
04-27-2011, 01:08 PM
I've often wondered why guys like Pierre, Pods, and Lillibridge don't choke up on the bat like low power/speed guys used to do. I had been thinking that bat technology had improved to the point where it was not necessary, but seeing many low power/speed guys (and not just on the Sox) beat weak grounders into the infield AB after AB after AB (just ask a NYY fan about Jeter the past 2 seasons+ now), I'm guessing it's just a generational trend.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Pods did and maybe still does choke up on the bat. In 2009 he was choking up and moving his feet around in the box, I have no idea if he still does that. But the reason people don't do that anymore is because this is still the age of the home run. It is no longer enough to be a really good singles hitter, you have to hit for some sort of power. The last great singles hitter and typical lead off guy is Ichiro and even he is good for 30 doubles. I think the day of slapping the ball the other way for a base hit are over.

hawkjt
04-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Alexei doesn't have the patience, contact hitting prowess or speed for the role.

Rios does, but it would be a waste to lead him off when he can be a much more dynamic player lower in the order.

Every April it seems fans of the team he's on takes issue with Pierre. But he's still an average to above average leadoff hitter, and there's a shortage of those in the league. However, he needs to change things up a bit, teams are expecting the bunt to certain places of the field and steals in certain counts.

I agree. Read the same posts about Juan last year at this time.
He is in a funk,sure,but who isn't on this team besides PK and Carlos?
Even in his funk he is hitting around .260,with the most at bats on the team,so there are plenty of guys to point at before Juan.

Thrilling win. Gavin had the breaking ball working so nice...wow.
PK is so clutch,so huge,what an at bat for PK!!
And Lilly saved the day,ultimately....well done,young man!!

asindc
04-27-2011, 01:12 PM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2011/04/27/gal_backpage_0427.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:LoadGallery(nextImage, false))

I'm loving the NYY fans' reactions in the background. Loved the intensity many of the Sox players showed in that sequence of events. That's what competition is all about.

cws05champ
04-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Pods did and maybe still does choke up on the bat. In 2009 he was choking up and moving his feet around in the box, I have no idea if he still does that. But the reason people don't do that anymore is because this is still the age of the home run. It is no longer enough to be a really good singles hitter, you have to hit for some sort of power. The last great singles hitter and typical lead off guy is Ichiro and even he is good for 30 doubles. I think the day of slapping the ball the other way for a base hit are over.

I think if Pierre choked up on the bat even his hardest swing wouldn't go past the pitchers mound. :tongue:
It's not about contact for Pierre, it's the lack of power that allows the defense to compress the field and make plays on him. I mean Gardener was playing about 40 feet behind SS yesterday when he was up...taking away the slap hit. Guys with longer swings who hit for more power and what to have a little more control(and less power) choke up.

When I see Pierre come up in late game situations with men on and the Sox down a run or two, I have no idea why Ozzie doesn't pinch hit, especially with two outs.

tstrike2000
04-27-2011, 01:33 PM
When I see Pierre come up in late game situations with men on and the Sox down a run or two, I have no idea why Ozzie doesn't pinch hit, especially with two outs.

Lately, too it's been Rios, Dunn, and Beckham in particular. They'll snap out of it, especially when they get their bravado back.

sunofgold
04-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for posting the headlines. I like the Chicago newspapers but NY always has better headlines.lol.

Hey, Lil'..if you can make it there (NY), you can make it anywhere. Those were great catches. Reminded me of Uribe WS 2005, Rowand in NY 2005, and BA in BlackOutGame 2008. Created new memories, brought back some old ones. I love great White Sox defense.

So glad that he is on our team. He is a keeper. Wouldn't mind him seeing him playing more. Do you think that he is adequate in CF as well as the corners? And he is still getting experience and getting better.

And c'mon Ozzie is da MANager. Have to like his moves last night. And he is cautiously but positively supporting Santos as closer. Santos was a little bit lucky with the great catches. But I rather be lucky than good. Both works as well. And if you avoid walks and keep the ball in the park, you let your defense make the plays.

JB98
04-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Since the start of the 2010 season, Konerko has hit five game-winning HRs in the seventh inning or later. That's second in baseball behind Carlos Lee, who has done it six times.

You always kind of worry about aging sluggers, because power doesn't age well, but it looks to me like Paulie still has good bat speed at age 35. I'll cross my fingers and hope he retains that for the life of his new contract.

I'm not a big fan of Lillibridge overall, but that little **** seems to find ways to keep himself on the roster. Thank goodness he saved the club from another ninth-inning disaster.

WhiteSox5187
04-27-2011, 01:50 PM
I think if Pierre choked up on the bat even his hardest swing wouldn't go past the pitchers mound. :tongue:
It's not about contact for Pierre, it's the lack of power that allows the defense to compress the field and make plays on him. I mean Gardener was playing about 40 feet behind SS yesterday when he was up...taking away the slap hit. Guys with longer swings who hit for more power and what to have a little more control(and less power) choke up.

It seems like of late Pierre has come up to the plate with a lot of guys in scoring position of late. I think Pierre's problem is that when he slaps at the ball he's not hitting grounders through the hole, he's usually hitting soft little looping line drives. I'm not sure why that is, but I also think he is pressing (like everyone else on the team). There was a point last night where he was up 2-0 in the count and swung at what would have been ball three over his letters. If he's going good, I don't think he swings at that pitch. But he started off horrendously last year too (even his base running was down) and came on strong so I'll wait a bit, plus we have no real option for leadoff hitter anyways. His base running has sucked of late, but I think part of that is a) it's cold and b) there's been a lot of rain which leads to slower tracks. Even last night in New York it looked like they had a lot of that diamond dry on the field.

russ99
04-27-2011, 02:25 PM

Because Juan almost always puts the ball in play, rarely strikes out, and is a good baserunner.

If Juan choking up keeps the defense on their toes and not cheating to the usual areas, I'm all for it.

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2011, 03:09 PM
I think if Pierre choked up on the bat even his hardest swing wouldn't go past the pitchers mound.That's why you go to a heavier bat when you choke up.

Foulke You
04-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Well they certainly looked a lot less sleepy last night didn't they? I happen to enjoy seeing that. Is it against the rules to enjoy seeing the Sox fired up after a win after seeing them playing corpse ball on this road trip? For the record, I'm not a "Fire and Passion/Chicago Tough" talker but I do believe that emotion and mental state can be an important element to a ball club. For once, it was nice to see the team look like they had a heartbeat.

LongLiveFisk
04-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Speaking of guts...butchering a 5 year old?

I don't recommend it. You could really get in a lot of trouble.

Fenway
04-27-2011, 03:47 PM
http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2011/04/27/covers/back042711.jpg

captain54
04-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Well they certainly looked a lot less sleepy last night didn't they?.

There ya go Brooks, you've got the marketing slogan for White Sox baseball ..Summer 2011

"White Sox baseball...summer...2011...we're a lot less sleepy"

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
I still haven't gotten an answer to what it is you expect these guys to "look like" after a loss to "look like they care." Do you want them rolling around on the ground in agony? Perhaps getting out the flails and whipping themselves across the back? Everybody grabbing bats and destroying water coolers and bubble-gum buckets in the dugout? Maybe a mass seppuku would be in order?

So they look downcast. Should they look happy?

DonnieDarko
04-27-2011, 04:01 PM
I still haven't gotten an answer to what it is you expect these guys to "look like" after a loss to "look like they care." Do you want them rolling around on the ground in agony? Perhaps getting out the flails and whipping themselves across the back? Everybody grabbing bats and destroying water coolers and bubble-gum buckets in the dugout? Maybe a mass seppuku would be in order?

Yes! I think that those two would be awesome to see! :D:

It would certainly be more entertaining to watch than the garbage that we saw in Detroit and Florida, that's for sure.

kittle42
04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
I still haven't gotten an answer to what it is you expect these guys to "look like" after a loss to "look like they care."

You likely won't get one, because your question encroaches on their fantasy land.

kufram
04-27-2011, 04:15 PM

This is the legacy of steroid driven inflated home run numbers of the Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa days. Kids at that time saw a false front of what hitting is. Those guys have a lot to answer for. But real hitting will come back because it will be valued again.

PK is what hitting is all about. He probably was not "trying" to hit a home run. Good hitters don't.

kittle42
04-27-2011, 04:21 PM
He probably was not "trying" to hit a home run. Good hitters don't.

Just look at Willie Mays Hayes!

WhiteSox5187
04-27-2011, 04:25 PM
This is the legacy of steroid driven inflated home run numbers of the Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa days. Kids at that time saw a false front of what hitting is. Those guys have a lot to answer for. But real hitting will come back because it will be valued again.

PK is what hitting is all about. He probably was not "trying" to hit a home run. Good hitters don't.

Paulie's swing though does not work for a lead off hitter though. He still has a good power swing and is nice and balanced, but it's not the sort of slap style you saw up until the early 1990s.

kufram
04-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Paulie's swing though does not work for a lead off hitter though. He still has a good power swing and is nice and balanced, but it's not the sort of slap style you saw up until the early 1990s.

There are many reasons why Paulie does not fit as a lead off. In fact, nothing about him is lead off. What I meant was that he adjusts to the count and the game situation... going to right with 2 strikes for example. I'd rather have no one up more than Paulie with the game on the line.

It's too early to say Juan is done. In fact, he might have been worse at this stage last year except for the running. I'm hopeful that he'll find his groove. His lifetime numbers suggest he will. I'd rather have another lead off hitter, but he's the one we have. There are very few around.

WhiteSox5187
04-27-2011, 05:16 PM
There are many reasons why Paulie does not fit as a lead off. In fact, nothing about him is lead off. What I meant was that he adjusts to the count and the game situation... going to right with 2 strikes for example. I'd rather have no one up more than Paulie with the game on the line.

It's too early to say Juan is done. In fact, he might have been worse at this stage last year except for the running. I'm hopeful that he'll find his groove. His lifetime numbers suggest he will. I'd rather have another lead off hitter, but he's the one we have. There are very few around.

What makes, well, what made Juan a good lead off hitter was he was the type of guy who was going to see a lot of pitches to lead off a game and while he didn't walk a lot, he got on and caused problems. He never had a high OBP, that hurts but he is an old school lead off guy, sees a lot of pitches, gets a lot of hits and steals a lot of bases.