PDA

View Full Version : Anybody concerned about Brent Morel

sunofgold
04-26-2011, 01:19 PM
3 for his last 29 ABs. No walks this season. I am concerned!

Very concerned now about Chris Sale! This is on May 22

Gavin
04-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Probably the last person on the team I'm concerned about.

FielderJones
04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Don't suck defensively at third base. Make all the routine plays and the occasional brilliant play.

DirtySox
04-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Not really. He's a struggling rookie. His defense will be fine despite a few early hiccups. Brent isn't going to be a superstar with the bat, but he will adjust. He has a history of struggling then acclimating after a promotion throughout his minor league career. Morel is the last person to be worried about on this team. Beckham and Rios are the prime candidates.

JB98
04-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Not really. He's a struggling rookie. His defense will be fine despite a few early hiccups. Brent isn't going to be a superstar with the bat, but he will adjust. He has a history of struggling then acclimating after a promotion throughout his minor league career. Morel is the last person to be worried about on this team. Beckham and Rios are the prime candidates.

I wouldn't say he's the last person to worry about, but I'm not worried about him.

I'm more worried the manager will give up on him prematurely.

sunofgold
04-26-2011, 01:27 PM
So you have no problems if he hits under .200 the whole season and does not draw a walk? Right now he is BAv2.0

Nelfox02
04-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Obviously his struggles are amplified due to awful hitting of the rest of our regulars----if everyone (with the exception of Quentin and to some degree Konerko) were doing what they should be....then it would be a lot easier to accept what Brent is doing right now.

I just dont want it to get to the point that he brings his issues at the plate to the field with him.....and to echo an earlier post, I hope his poor hitting doesnt force Ozzie to give up on him

DirtySox
04-26-2011, 01:33 PM
So you have no problems if he hits under .200 the whole season and does not draw a walk? Right now he is BAv2.0

Where did anyone say they would have no problem with that? It's still quite early. Besides, the Sox have the option to plug Omar at 3B, and the occasional Teahen. This team isn't going to sink or swim based on if Morel can hit or not.

LITTLE NELL
04-26-2011, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't say he's the last person to worry about, but I'm not worried about him.

One of many I'm worried about including Rios, Beckham, Pierre, Buerhle, Thornton, AJ, Pena, the manager and a few of his coaches.
Some will ask why AJ, well he has no power, swings at horrible pitches and can't throw anyone out.
At this stage I'm going give a pass to Dunn as he did have surgery and last night he hit the ball hard.

asindc
04-26-2011, 01:41 PM
One of many I'm worried about including Rios, Beckham, Pierre, Buerhle, Thornton, AJ, Pena, the manager and a few of his coaches.
Some will ask why AJ, well he has no power, swings at horrible pitches and can't throw anyone out.
At this stage I'm going give a pass to Dunn as he did have surgery and last night he hit the ball hard.

While I agree with everything you say about AJ, he has thrown better the last season+. The two SBs last night were on the pitchers, not him. He got the ball there in a hurry both times, and in the right place. Now, if he would just stop hacking and start taking smarter ABs...

Chez
04-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Like others have alluded to, I'm not worried about Morel -- never thought he would hit above .250 so my expectations weren't high. You can live with his offensive limitations (and strong defense) if the rest of the team was hitting. If the team continues to collectively struggle with the bat, I would strongly consider sending Morel down and replace him on the roster with Viciedo. Dayan could give us a spark.

doublem23
04-26-2011, 02:00 PM
In his first 9 games this season, Brent hit .294/.314/.382. Since then, he's hit .103/.103/.103 in essentially 9 games (had 1 extra where he was used as a late game defensive sub and didn't have an AB).

It's a combination of the league kind of figuring him out, but also, his production has dropped in sync with the entire offense falling apart. Nobody's going to pitch to Brent Morel when the other 8 guys on this team aren't hitting.

My only concern with him to date is that his defense has been, at times, poor. All I want from Brent is solid defense at 3B and maybe a happy medium of hitting from him in the mid-.200s.

Red Barchetta
04-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Walker will fix him!

Nellie_Fox
04-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Walker will fix him!
Just like I fixed your "teal."

Edit: And fixed it AGAIN. The first time it was in deep sky blue, the second time in turquois. Both times I put it back to teal.

:tealtutor:

Irishsox1
04-26-2011, 03:14 PM
I'd start with Rios hitting .165 and Beckham hitting .200. Those two are stinking it up big time.

LoveYourSuit
04-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Morel and Becmham scare me big time. At some point you have to start producing effective everyday ML players to survive as a franchise. It's early for both, but still nothing special.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-26-2011, 03:23 PM
When you enter the season starting a rookie, you have to expect struggles.

I'm more concerned about the leadoff hitter who can't get on base consistently, hit the ball out of the infield or steal a base when it counts YET LEADS ALL OF BASEBALL in plate appearances. He's now 33 and flat out terrible.

TheOldRoman
04-26-2011, 03:31 PM
While I agree with everything you say about AJ, he has thrown better the last season+. The two SBs last night were on the pitchers, not him. He got the ball there in a hurry both times, and in the right place. Now, if he would just stop hacking and start taking smarter ABs...The whole "AJ can't throw" thing is mostly bull, of course aided by sportstalk blowhards. Is AJ Pudge Roidriguez in his prime? No, but we should also note that Roidriguez was an ass who called mostly fastballs (at the expense of his pitchers' ERAs) so he would have a better chance at throwing people out. AJ is about average at throwing. In his 7 years on the team, the Sox have had a lot of pitchers with slow deliveries and Don Cooper hasn't stressed slowing down the run game.

DickAllen72
04-26-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm more concerned about Ozzie playing Teahen at 3B than I am about Morel. Morel will be fine, he just needs time to adjust to the bigs.

And I agree about AJ being average at throwing -- most of the stolen bases against the Sox are on the pitchers not the catcher.

rcescato
04-26-2011, 05:02 PM

exactly me 2

TDog
04-26-2011, 05:36 PM
I am more concerned with Pierre's defense than I am Morel's hitting.

VMSNS
04-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Has there ever been a Sox prospect that's flourished under Ozzie...?

(Not trying to be a dick here, I'm just curious. Alexei, maybe?)

soltrain21
04-26-2011, 05:51 PM

Bobby Jenks was good and lasted about the normal shelf life of a closer.

asindc
04-26-2011, 05:54 PM

If you are talking about someone from the farm system (not necessarily drafted by the team), then I would say:

Crede (injuries are what failed him);

Jenks (if you consider him a prospect);

Danks;

Floyd;

Ramirez.

I think this demonstrates the deficiencies in drafting and scouting more than Ozzie's development of younger players, IMO.

SI1020
04-26-2011, 06:11 PM
At this stage I'm going give a pass to Dunn as he did have surgery and last night he hit the ball hard. I'd add Floyd and Jackson to the list.

LITTLE NELL
04-26-2011, 06:12 PM
If you are talking about someone from the farm system (not necessarily drafted by the team), then I would say:

Crede (injuries are what failed him);

Jenks (if you consider him a prospect);

Danks;

Floyd;

Ramirez.

I think this demonstrates the deficiencies in drafting and scouting more than Ozzie's development of younger players, IMO.

Crede from this list is the only true product of the system.
On our 25 man roster only Buerhle, Beckham and Sale along with Morel are from the system.
TCM is not really a product of the system, he never spent a day in our minor leagues.

skobabe8
04-26-2011, 06:23 PM
No.

KMcMahon817
04-26-2011, 06:49 PM

What makes you think that? Ozzie has virtually the exact opposite track record with young guys. And Ozzie just said the other day that Morel will be batting in the two hole before the All-Star Break.

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Bench Morel and put Mark "Rob Mackowiak" Teahen in at third base. :rolleyes:

soxinem1
04-26-2011, 09:48 PM

Yup on that last point.

sunofgold
04-27-2011, 01:42 PM
He was 0-2 last night. Replaced for a pinch hitter in the seventh (good move b/c Teahen got a hit)

I am concerned! Long term, I think that he will be fine. Worried about him right now. C'mon BM quell my concerns.

kaufsox
04-27-2011, 01:45 PM
much more worried about Juan Pierre and stinking in all facets of his game thus far.

kittle42
04-27-2011, 02:08 PM
He was 0-2 last night. Replaced for a pinch hitter in the seventh (good move b/c Teahen got a hit)

I am concerned! Long term, I think that he will be fine. Worried about him right now. C'mon BM quell my concerns.

I heard you were concerned about Brent Morel.

doublem23
04-27-2011, 02:10 PM

Not to defend Ozzie, but his tenure here also coincides with the years when our farm system has been atrociously bad. Can't expect a guy to turn a pile of dog poo into gold.

sunofgold
04-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Not off to the best start, but he will get better. Him and AJ might be the only two guys on this team that know how to bunt!

Jim Shorts
04-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Morel, no. Beckham, absolutely. Rios, too.

sunofgold
05-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Morel has to go down to AAA and bring up Dayan. If Morel was the only one not hitting, he could stay up here. Teahen actually deserves more playing time and we have Vizquel as a late inning replacement. I believe Tank has recovered from his injury and we need a hitter.

DirtySox
05-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Dayan isn't hitting in AAA. Dayan hasn't even played a game at 3B this season. If Morel is demoted, Teahen and Vizquel are both better options than Viciedo.

sunofgold
05-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Want Teahen/Vizquel platoon at 3B. Can Quentin play some LF? He did in 2008.

If Quentin can play some LF, you could rotate Pierre, Quentin. Konerko, Dunn & Dayan. One of these five will have sit everyday. Dunn could play some 1B.

Viciedo cannot be worse offensively than what we are seeing from Rios, Beckham, and Morel. Viciedo could play some RF, DH a little, and be a PH.

Lillibridge is playing well. Give him more time at CF and 2B. Time to cut down Beckham's playing time.

Not the best option defensively, but start with our best team on offensive. Then hopefully have a late inning lead and bring in defensive replacements and Sergio Santos!

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Dayan isn't hitting in AAA. Dayan hasn't even played a game at 3B this season. If Morel is demoted, Teahen and Vizquel are both better options than Viciedo.

Totally agree. I think both Dayan and Morel need more time in AAA, let Teahen and Omar platoon. Call up someone like De Aza that won't hurt how little playing time he receives. Let Morel return later in the year. And Dayan's days at 3B are over, no way this organization moves him back. He already went from 3B->1B->RF. Maybe LF, but his future is in the OF.

Tragg
05-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Teahen isn't an option for squat.
Morel fields his position fine. Leave him alone.

DonnieDarko
05-02-2011, 01:54 AM
teahen isn't an option for squat.

+1

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Teahen isn't an option for squat.

I don't think we're arguing that. Morel is and always will be the superior defender. The worry is his bat isn't ready. He's now batting below the Mendoza line and has yet to take a walk in over 70 AB's. I know that's a small sample size, but it is something to take into consideration and could go both ways. But it isn't wrong to say he may be slightly overmatched when it comes to MLB pitching. Teahen is hitting currently, draws walks, and Vizquel is a great fielder still. Maybe send Morel down for a few months, let him get his groove back, and call him up in July/August.

Red Barchetta
05-02-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm more worried that the SOX can't seem to develop players to their full potential. Beckham looked more confident at the plate when he broke in than he does now.

SI1020
05-02-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm more worried that the SOX can't seem to develop players to their full potential. Beckham looked more confident at the plate when he broke in than he does now. Yes what it is with them. Even their better prospects fail. I look at Beckham and see maybe not a perennial all star, but a guy that should have a nice 10-12 year solid career before tailing off. He looks totally lost now.

sunofgold
05-14-2011, 09:21 AM
I think Morel will be fine long term but right now might as well play Vizquel. Omar is our best option at 3B right now. And a little dash of Teahen.

Then, you can bring up another bat with Viciedo. Dayan can play a little RF, pinch hit, and maybe a little DH.

Right now, Dayan > Morel. Not sure why management hasn't made this move. Maybe something going on behind the scenes.

OR they have more patience than I do. lol!

palehozenychicty
05-14-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm more worried that the SOX can't seem to develop players to their full potential. Beckham looked more confident at the plate when he broke in than he does now.

It's poor player development, due to a lack of investment. Even the better teams in the game have one or two guys that come up and make significant contributions a year these days. You can't simply rely on free agents and trades anymore because teams are locking up their cornerstones.

slavko
05-15-2011, 10:47 AM
No big secret here. There are so few prospects that the one who look halfway good are brought up too soon and are destined to fail. The system doesn't work, long term. And Kenny runs the system his way. So were looking forward to a change of ownership, a change of management and a long period of rebuilding with last place finishes and gloom at WSI. OK, more gloom than usual at WSI.

Dayan might develop if he isn't brought up. Morel is toast. Beckham is ruined. Where are our successful position players? How easy is it to turn offal into players by lucky trades? Not easy at all, long term.

DonnieDarko
05-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Dayan might develop if he isn't brought up. Morel is toast. Beckham is ruined. Where are our successful position players? How easy is it to turn offal into players by lucky trades? Not easy at all, long term.

Wow, a little dark cloudy, are we? Oh wait, that's right; WSI. My bad. :redface:

For what it's worth, I don't think that Morel is ruined (yet) and I still hold out hope for Beckham, though that is starting to fade with every passing day.

NLaloosh
05-15-2011, 11:40 AM
No big secret here. There are so few prospects that the one who look halfway good are brought up too soon and are destined to fail. The system doesn't work, long term. And Kenny runs the system his way. So were looking forward to a change of ownership, a change of management and a long period of rebuilding with last place finishes and gloom at WSI. OK, more gloom than usual at WSI.

Well, you are absolutely right about Kenny's system which has now run the organization into the land of barren futures.

Years back Kenny was better when he was a bargain hunter taking chances on guys like Jermaine Dye etc. Then,, everyone complained that the Sox don't go after the "Elite" players and the last few years Kenny spent huge money and lots of young talent on Peavy, Teahen, Jackson, Pierre and Dunn. All of which were bad moves.

He throws away highly-drafted pitching prospects like they are gum wrappers. These are the kinds of players that other teams hold onto and polish up and then they seemingly come out of nowhere to become stars when they are 25 or 26.

However, when it comes to Morel, the Sox said before the season that they expected this and were willing to accept it because the rest of the lineup was so good. But, something went wrong on now they need all the bats they can get.

WhiteSox5187
05-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Well, you are absolutely right about Kenny's system which has now run the organization into the land of barren futures.

Years back Kenny was better when he was a bargain hunter taking chances on guys like Jermaine Dye etc. Then,, everyone complained that the Sox don't go after the "Elite" players and the last few years Kenny spent huge money and lots of young talent on Peavy, Teahen, Jackson, Pierre and Dunn. All of which were bad moves.

He throws away highly-drafted pitching prospects like they are gum wrappers. These are the kinds of players that other teams hold onto and polish up and then they seemingly come out of nowhere to become stars when they are 25 or 26.

However, when it comes to Morel, the Sox said before the season that they expected this and were willing to accept it because the rest of the lineup was so good. But, something went wrong on now they need all the bats they can get.

What bothers me with Morel isn't that he is not hitting. I didn't expect him to do that or at least do it that well. What bothers me is that he looks lousy in the field. There have been several plays that he has not made that he should have. If he is going to be lost at the plate but at least play good defense at third, that's fine. But he can't be lost at both the plate and the field.

palehozenychicty
05-15-2011, 01:14 PM
What bothers me with Morel isn't that he is not hitting. I didn't expect him to do that or at least do it that well. What bothers me is that he looks lousy in the field. There have been several plays that he has not made that he should have. If he is going to be lost at the plate but at least play good defense at third, that's fine. But he can't be lost at both the plate and the field.

It's kind of the chicken-and-egg paradox. At times, when guys are really struggling at the plate like he has, then they carry those issues out to the field. Some players can completely separate, but not until they've had bouts of success at the major league level.

Morel hit decently with his cup of coffee last year. I still think he can play. I just think this franchise rushes guys up to the bigs until it's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt in the minors. He's not ready. It's clear now.

Lip Man 1
05-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Sox have rushed guys up for years. I never could uinderstand why, I've heard that part of it maybe is because the organization is tired of hearing about how bad the system is and is trying to show people it isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

Lip

Daver
05-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Sox have rushed guys up for years. I never could uinderstand why, I've heard that part of it maybe is because the organization is tired of hearing about how bad the system is and is trying to show people it isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

Lip

That is the dumbest logic I have ever heard.

KMcMahon817
05-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Peavy move hasn't exactly worked out, but they didn't exactly lose "lots of young talent". Lets be real. Poreda is still in the minors, Adam Russell is nothing special, Dexter Carter sucked and is now back with the SOX and while I like Clayton, he is just an average MLB starter.

The Pierre move worked out great last year and the SOX are only paying him like 4M dollars. Juan has had a very tough year and should lose some playing time, but the move has already paid its dividends. Jon Link and John Ely are garbage and are not "lots of young talent".

To call the Dunn move a "bad move" at this point is just plain stupid.

And Edwin has been fine for the SOX. They did give up alot in Hudson, but he has come back to earth this season. Was far from KW's best move, but it wasn't atrociously bad. The worst part about it was the amount of money Edwin makes, and that hardly stopped KW this offseason, so it really didn't end up mattering.

In other words, you're being far too dramatic.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-15-2011, 06:14 PM
The Pierre move worked out great last year and the SOX are only paying him like 4M dollars. Juan has had a very tough year and should lose some playing time, but the move has already paid its dividends. Jon Link and John Ely are garbage and are not "lots of young talent".

We are now seeing why the Dodgers were willing to give away Pierre for garbage and even cover some salary.

KW finished taking out the Dodgers trash last year when he selected Manny off waivers.

soxinem1
05-15-2011, 07:03 PM

He needs to play and he needs his manager to have confidence in making this happen.

I remember a certain 3B going 0-42 once and breaking the streak with an infield hit.

His name? Robin Ventura.

Give the kid 500 AB, and spell him and Beckham with Omar here and there.

sunofgold
05-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Vizquel is the man. With Teahen possibly going on DL, Morel will probably get to stay. He better just watch and learn from Omar. Omar will teach him.

I am a little bit concerned about Sale. However, he has been working with Cooper. Cooper will fix him.

soxinem1
05-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Vizquel is the man. With Teahen possibly going on DL, Morel will probably get to stay. He better just watch and learn from Omar. Omar will teach him.

I am a little bit concerned about Sale. However, he has been working with Cooper. Cooper will fix him.

I hear you about Sale. He just better watch and learn from Cooper, instead of watching Thornton. :smile:

slavko
05-15-2011, 07:58 PM
He needs to play and he needs his manager to have confidence in making this happen.

I remember a certain 3B going 0-42 once and breaking the streak with an infield hit.

His name? Robin Ventura.

Give the kid 500 AB, and spell him and Beckham with Omar here and there.

To be fair, and WSI is fair:Ventura was one of the greatest hitters in the annals of college baseball who was being converted to the Charlie Lau system. 0 for 42 is some mighty struggling.

soxinem1
05-15-2011, 10:34 PM
To be fair, and WSI is fair:Ventura was one of the greatest hitters in the annals of college baseball who was being converted to the Charlie Lau system. 0 for 42 is some mighty struggling.

Means nothing. Top College hitters who bombed in the pros are a dime a dozen. John Ford-Griffin and Khalil Greene rank among the best of all-time college hitters but never came close to what they were expected to be in MLB.

On that note, Morel should just bat ninth and see what he does. He will probably never be in Ventura's class, but Robin had a manager who was commited to his development.

The guy who played SS next to Ventura should remember this when he makes out his lineup card every day.

WhiteSox5187
05-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Means nothing. Top College hitters who bombed in the pros are a dime a dozen. John Ford-Griffin and Khalil Greene rank among the best of all-time college hitters but never came close to what they were expected to be in MLB.

On that note, Morel should just bat ninth and see what he does. He will probably never be in Ventura's class, but Robin had a manager who was commited to his development.

The guy who played SS next to Ventura should remember this when he makes out his lineup card every day.

When Ventura was in his slump, was he taking his at bats with him in the field? Because of late Morel is doing exactly that. Were he still sound defensively I'd be in favor him playing more, but he has had a lot of defensive lapses of late.

soxinem1
05-15-2011, 10:57 PM
When Ventura was in his slump, was he taking his at bats with him in the field? Because of late Morel is doing exactly that. Were he still sound defensively I'd be in favor him playing more, but he has had a lot of defensive lapses of late.

Robin made 25 errors that year and fielded .939, not exactly stellar stats.

The point is, Robin knew Torborg would play him. Robin was not drafted for his defense, in fact most experts and scouts predicted his slow feet would find him more than likely a 1B instead of a 3B.

But he worked hard and eventually hit almost .250 that year. And why? Because he was given a chance to know the league and play his position.

Morel needs to be given the same opportunity. Then you can make a sound evaluation on him.

FGarcia34
05-16-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm extremely concerned with Morel. Although I do believe he has the potential to be a solid contributor, right now he just isn't that. He is only hitting .226. He has improved over the last 10 games as he has an average of .258 in those games. But he had a couple multi hit games so his average is a bit skewed. This guy has 12 games without a hit already this year. He is clearly struggling at the dish and in the field too. The Joe Crede comparisons were a bit premature. And for the love of god, he cannot pull a ball to save his life. I'm not sure if it's that he can't catch up with the big league fastball or what, but everything is hit to right. He also already has 6 errors and the kid just needs a break. He's not ready to be an everyday player. It's frustrating to see this organization continue to do the same thing with struggling prospects. I'd really be in favor of a Teahen/Morel platoon, or even better is send Morel down and have a Teahen/Vizquel platoon. I also wouldn't rule out the Sox bringing up Viciedo and give him a possible looke a 3rd. But at this point, nothing merits Morel being the everyday guy at 3rd.

NLaloosh
05-16-2011, 05:47 PM

Lip

And so then they prove everyone right by doing this. They would look much better if they waited and made these guys into actual stars.

Here is a perfect comparison: Drew Storen vs. Chris Sale

Compare them. Storen is 1 year older and was drafted 1 year earlier. Other than that, they are exactly the same. But, Washington took their time with Storen and he's had no blips and he is a lights out closer right now. The Sox couldn't give Sale more than 10 minor league innings! And, they can't figure this out ?

Tragg
05-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Is he fielding his position?
If so, there are far greater concerns about those who aren't and who aren't hitting.

SI1020
05-18-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm worried about the inability of the White Sox to develop legitimate prospects. Basically at this point I feel that Beckham is ruined. Morel had a big hit last night and hopefully he can begin to turn his game around. The White Sox can ill afford to continually fail where their young players are concerned. Maybe it would help to have a completely different type of management from the top right on down. I guess I should have typed that previous sentence in pink.

JC456
05-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Serious, you're worried about Morel? What about the guys making millions like Rios, Dunn, Danks. Really Morel?

JC456
05-18-2011, 04:57 PM
I am still worried about our shortstop who can't seem to field consistently. Almost cost us another game, and the guy you're worried about saved his butt.

Golden Sox
05-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Morel will turn out to be the greatest White Sox third basemen since Buck Weaver.

SI1020
05-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Morel will turn out to be the greatest White Sox third basemen since Buck Weaver. Willie Kamm and Robin Ventura were better than Buck Weaver. Joe Crede was a better fielder.

doublem23
05-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Willie Kamm and Robin Ventura were better than Buck Weaver. Joe Crede was a better fielder.

And let's not forget the man, the myth, the legend Chris Snopek

SI1020
05-21-2011, 01:01 PM
And let's not forget the man, the myth, the legend Chris Snopek I almost added Bill Melton to my list, but he could be quite the adventure in the field. Chris Snopek? Now that's a blast from the past. I really liked the guy.

doublem23
05-21-2011, 02:13 PM
I almost added Bill Melton to my list, but he could be quite the adventure in the field. Chris Snopek? Now that's a blast from the past. I really liked the guy.

Me too, until about 4 innings into his Major League career

sunofgold
05-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Still concerned about Morel. I am tied with Morel for walks this season

And Chris Sale is moving in the complete opposite direction from last year. At the very least, he needs some time back in Charlotte. Try another reliever (could easily be a righty since we have a LOOGY & MT)

HaroMaster87
05-22-2011, 09:45 PM
I had a Chris Sabo moment at the gym today,,,some guy was wearing those same glasses...

KMcMahon817
05-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Still concerned about Morel. I am tied with Morel for walks this season

And Chris Sale is moving in the complete opposite direction from last year. At the very least, he needs some time back in Charlotte. Try another reliever (could easily be a righty since we have a LOOGY & MT)

I don't disagree, but if he goes to AAA he should be starting every 5th day. Bring him back up in mid August for the bullpen. The sox are going to need him as a starter next season.

sunofgold
05-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Future closer? Seems like Santos is filling that role

Starter next year? I don't know we have six of decent starters right now. Depending how this season goes we might re-sign Jackson and Buehrle. Hopefully, Peavy stays healthy although it seems like he will always be injury prone.

How good is Sale going to be? I don't know. Maybe we messed him up by putting him in the bullpen. Maybe we rushed him.

doublem23
05-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Starter next year? I don't know we have six of decent starters right now. Depending how this season goes we might re-sign Jackson and Buehrle. Hopefully, Peavy stays healthy although it seems like he will always be injury prone.

Buehrle maybe, I guess, if he takes a discount, could come back, but I don't necessarily know what the plan with him is, he gives you a guaranteed 30 starts, 200 innings every year, he's by all accounts a really good teammate and good guy, but he's trending downward and you have to wonder how many more miles are left on that arm.

I don't know what the scenario with Jackson is. If he pitches poorly then the Sox just don't bring him back, if he pitches too well then he probably makes a stab at the big payday and he's got the agent to do so, so I really don't see him here in 2012 or beyond, unless he wants another year of working with Cooper and takes a 1-year deal in attempts to finally pull his head out of his ass and hit the market in 2012 at only 29 years old.

If the Sox think Humber is the real deal then I can't see them bringing back both Buehrle and Jackson, the money just doesn't work out. The only other logical solution is to make a hole by trading Danks or Floyd? Or, if you think Humber is just pulling a Loaiza, maybe you trade him and strike while the iron is hot.

At this point, though, I would assume that Sale needs at minimum, 1 season's worth of games at the minor league level if he's going to come back and have any chance of being an effective starter. The guy can barely get 3 outs right now and we're thinking of how he can get 21+? I think he's still got great stuff but he needs to not be in the Majors right now, and if the plan is still long-term for him to start, then it's almost a total rebuild now, physically and psychologically.

Hitmen77
05-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Buehrle maybe, I guess, if he takes a discount, could come back, but I don't necessarily know what the plan with him is, he gives you a guaranteed 30 starts, 200 innings every year, he's by all accounts a really good teammate and good guy, but he's trending downward and you have to wonder how many more miles are left on that arm.

I don't know what the scenario with Jackson is. If he pitches poorly then the Sox just don't bring him back, if he pitches too well then he probably makes a stab at the big payday and he's got the agent to do so, so I really don't see him here in 2012 or beyond, unless he wants another year of working with Cooper and takes a 1-year deal in attempts to finally pull his head out of his ass and hit the market in 2012 at only 29 years old.

I have my doubts that the Sox will have payroll room to pay for either Buehrle or Jackson for 2012. Thanks to bad spring weather and being 9 games out of 1st, the Sox aren't getting the attendance increase that ownership has said was needed to afford current payroll levels.

I know the team is looking better now and the weather will improve, but unless the Sox can significantly slash that 9 game deficit in the standings over the next month or so, it will be difficult to get a decent attendance bump that ownership says it needs once we head into summer.

sunofgold
05-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Sale and Morel sent down to AAA. Dayan is hitting. I think that you can get him some at-bats as pinch hitter, DH a little, RF/LF a little. I know that Dayan is probably working on this defense, but we really could use hit bat.

Bruney is pitching well in AAA. He has some experience. I would like to see him at least have a chance in our bullpen. We really could use another arm.

If Sale is sent to AAA, I would keep him in the bullpen. Maybe he could figure things out again and then come back up again sometime later in the season. And we need a reliever now not another starter.

Then next year the decision could be made whether he should be starting or not. I want to keep Sale in a position where he could still possibly help the 2011 team.

Hitmen77
06-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Brent Morel now has his BA up to .263 and has hit safely in 9 of his last 10 games.

harwar
06-06-2011, 10:42 AM
I think that both Brent Morel and Gordon Beckham could have used a couple more years of seasoning before reaching the big leagues

kittle42
06-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I think that both Brent Morel and Gordon Beckham could have used a couple more years of seasoning before reaching the big leagues

I think a 30-minute marinade would have sufficed.

KMcMahon817
06-06-2011, 12:08 PM

Hindsight is 20-20. Both have been swinging the bat well lately, and really throwing some leather. Simply put, they were the best options in the organization.

DirtySox
06-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Hindsight is 20-20. Both have been swinging the bat well lately, and really throwing some leather. Simply put, they were the best options in the organization.

Yep.

And the book on Morel is he struggles upon promotion, then acclimates and rebounds. It's happened at every single level he's played. He's now hitting .362/.383/.448. over the last month of playing time.

Frater Perdurabo
06-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Yep.

And the book on Morel is he struggles upon promotion, then acclimates and rebounds. It's happened at every single level he's played. He's now hitting .362/.383/.448. over the last month of playing time.

Two more hits tonight. He's now up to .268 for the season. He is on a tear. If he keeps this up, he might be at .300 by the All Star Break.

Tragg
06-08-2011, 12:22 AM
I don't know if Morel is driving the ball or anything, or his grounders are just getting through. But he has consistently had a good glove and should never, ever have been considered for AAA.
Sale is pitching better...but we cannot let him sit in middle relief after this year.

SoxSpeed22
06-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Brent is at his best when he goes to right. He has been doing a better job of using all sides of the field. His defense is supposed to be his best skill and he's brought that too.

Metalthrasher442
06-08-2011, 03:21 AM
Brent is at his best when he goes to right. He has been doing a better job of using all sides of the field. His defense is supposed to be his best skill and he's brought that too.

Yeah I mean in the last 10 games he's batting around .350 and a lot of those hits are to right, and he does also look more confident at the plate. I'm not worried about him because his defense is above average. *cough*Rios and Beckham.