PDA

View Full Version : Why did the A's trade Carlos Pena?

MattSharp
07-07-2002, 01:42 PM
I am still confused? I thought they got him specifically for the reason of replacing Giambi? He started hot then he cooled off, but did they give up on him already? Geez....

guillen4life13
07-07-2002, 07:13 PM
well, if this were KW I would be having the same questions as you. but this is Billy Beane, and he usually knows what he's doing. I think that this trade is probably going to make Oakland better, especially if he was willing to trade Pena.

kermittheefrog
07-07-2002, 07:17 PM
It was only an assumption that Pena was there to replace Giambi. Word is the Rangers approached Oakland about the deal rather than the other way around. Beane may have just made the deal because he thought he was getting the better raw talent and may not have been particularly intrigued. There were rumors Pena wasn't going to break spring with Oakland and after that they seemed PO'd with his attitude. Apparently his response to being in a slump was "I'm a great hitter, eventually things will work out for me." We don't know how much Oakland ever liked Pena, we just know they liked him more than Mario Ramos.