PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Yanking victory from the jaws of defeat, SOX 2 NYY 0 Postgamer

Sockinchisox
04-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Humber!
Santos!

Discuss!

soxinem1
Phil Humber is the ace of the staff. Wow.

JUST enough hitting.

AND A SAVE!!!!!!! Let Santos close!

But if Rios isn't hurting.........

Fire away, everyone....

Frater Perdurabo
This calls for bringing back this guy: :bandance:

GoGoCrede
04-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Good Lord, was that fun. I feel bad for not tuning in last week, but they sure gave me a show tonight.

thomas35forever
04-25-2011, 08:52 PM
White Sox win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee White Sox win!

GlassSox
Humber was a stud today, I love it.

spongyfungy
I love that this was on national TV, less embarrassing

JermaineDye05
That slider to strike out A-Rod was filthy.

Santos' ERA is still at 0.00

OmahaSoxFan
Well Santos just proved why he should be the closer... surviving the heart of the Yankees' batting order to get the save, not too shabby!

Great pitching performance by Humber today, he's been a real shining star on the Sox pitching staff so far this young season. Hopefully he can keep it up, just in case Peavy doesn't make the full comeback.

chisox12
Well I think it's pretty obvious who our closer should be.

DSpivack
Game 23, Win 9, Save 2

BigHurt3515
I love Santos!!

DirtySox
04-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Huzzah. The offense still needs to wake up, but a win is a win.

kobo
Humber was awesome.

Offense still blows chunks.

soltrain21
Alright. Right this ship!

russ99
Nice!

I think we all needed that one. :D:

Good to see Santos get the save.

Zakath
Quite Humberific.

amsteel
Oh yeah, that's why I like watching White Sox baseball.

ChiSoxGirl
A near no-hitter, a save, and an errorless effort for the Sox all in one game?! :thud: It's been so damn long, I almost forgot what it feels like to win!

soxinem1
White Sox win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee White Sox win!

:smile:

Frater Perdurabo
I think we've found a closer and a starter.

AnkleSox
Sergio should have been closing since day one.

Sox need to take some momentum from this win and take 3 of 4 in the Bronx and come back home to a crowd that's not on the verge of suicide.

Bucky F. Dent
Great outing for Humber. Make Peavy the closer! Only partial teal there. Can I get a teal stripe for that????

sunofgold
04-25-2011, 08:54 PM
This is the type of game we needed. Would have liked more offense but just enough. Santos should be our closer (for now.hahah). And Humber really MANNED up today. Thanks HumberSaleSantos. Nice selection of pitchers by the OzzieMan. This could turn our season around.

LITTLE NELL
Great win, maybe something to build on. We can win some games if we don't let the other team score.

WhiteSox1989
Great game. There are no words for the game Humber just had.

all*star quentin
Winning feels good.:bandance:
:)

tstrike2000
2 runs in 27 innings...wow, that's horrible, but it doesn't matter when our pitching is finally lights out.

Crooked Number
Huge win for this ballclub. We have a closer, and his name is Sergio Santos. Too bad we couldn't go with him to start the season. Still hasn't allowed an ER.

Humber. Wow what an effort. Wow. For those who decided to take a break from the Sox missed an excellent baseball game. Good starting pitching, good bullpen pitching, and yes, good execution offensively. Moving runners over, getting a couple clutch hits, stealing a base.

Let's start playing some baseball.

OmahaSoxFan
A near no-hitter, a save, and an errorless effort for the Sox all in one game?! :thud: It's been so damn long, I almost forgot what it feels like to win!

I know, I have become so numb that I was just waiting for the wheels to fall off in the ninth inning. Then I realized Sergio Santos was pitching the ninth, and felt just a little better... and a whole lot better after the double play!

Corlose 15
Well I guess the one way to win games if you're only going to score 1-2 yourself is to shut out the other team.

Soxman219
04-25-2011, 08:55 PM
I think were all in agreement who the closer should be.:wink:

Brian26
Nice defense in the infield today, especially at 1B by Konerko.

voodoochile
Holy Starting Pitching!

Holy Effective Relief Pitching!

Holy **** 2 WHOLE RUNS!

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

CWSpalehoseCWS
Sergio! Too early to name his closer? Looks like the Sox might have a nice little problem on their hands when/if Peavy returns. Humber was fantastic. Looks like Coop did it again?

Red Barchetta
04-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Great win! Still poor offensive mental approach. Rios' 1/2 swing on a high 2-0 pitch. :angry: Glad he at least got a hit.

soxlady8
04-25-2011, 08:57 PM
I don't have much to say except that I AM SOOOO EXCITED by this win !!!

Wooooohooo !

LoveYourSuit
Now you take 2 of the next 3 and momentum comes our way moving forward.

Dan H
I would like to see more offense but you got to start somewhere. It was great to see them hold onto a lead in the late innings. And in that ninth inning, they actually looked a real team. Konerko is going to have a great RBI year.

MountainCur
I think its early to anoint Sergio the answer, but I like the idea of him closing with Sale pitching the 8th.

Maybe that will give Matt some time to get his head right.

SoxSpeed22
04-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Can't fix all of our problems at once, but at least one of them looks solved with Santos closing. As long as he doesn't overthrow, he won't get in trouble. It also helps when your 5th starter you picked off the scrap heap goes 7 strong.

manders_01
04-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Fung is winning and winning is fung! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: Lot's of great pitching, and even for what little offense there was, that was still seriously fung! :D:

Hendu
Decided to watch the game against my better judgment and kept expecting the worst to happen. Great performance by Humber, the bullpen nailed it down and the offense didn't do much but it was enough to win.

We caught a break on Alexei's pop-up, and then Lillibridge's stolen base where he should have been out by a mile. But this team deserves some breaks right now.

Sockinchisox
Also, Humber just told Jake, "take your ****ing time, I got this."

Tragg
04-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Nice win.
Great pitching, Humber.

konerko 14
04-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Humber looked awesome today, Santos should close, 11 scoreless innings so far

It'sADunnBomb
04-25-2011, 09:01 PM
I find it very comical that out of all the Sox games I've seen this year, the least stressful to watch have been games started by Humber. Nice start and win by Humber and the Sox. A winning streak would be nice right about now. Go SOX!!!!

slavko
04-25-2011, 09:04 PM
I think its early to anoint Sergio the answer, but I like the idea of him closing with Sale pitching the 8th.

Maybe that will give Matt some time to get his head right.

Somebody sent Sergio out there to face 2 lefties in the 9th and it wasn't us. You don't need Columbo to figure this one out. He's nice and wild with some biting breaking stuff, throws as hard as the last closer. Glad I took a look.

Carneyman14
04-25-2011, 09:04 PM
We have the pitching. I mean we can't hit this bad all year right? :scratch: RIGHT?????????? :bandance:

soxinem1
04-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Game 23, Win 9, Save 2

Back to life, back to reality.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Hell right now any win feels great. Offense still dead from the neck up, but the pitching was as good as you could want.

Lip

FielderJones
04-25-2011, 09:13 PM
I mean we can't hit this bad all year right?

Right. These players are not sub-.200 career hitters. Someone will turn it around, and the rest will follow. My money is on Dunn, because he finally had a productive day today. Yankee Stadium would be a good place for him to get his HR timing back.

Normally Monday night is not adult beverage night for me, but after this game I just had to tip one back. :gulp:

JB98
04-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Sometimes, a great and unexpected pitching performance is the thing that gets a team out of one of these slides.

This poor start reminds me a lot of the 2001 season. There were great expectations coming off the 2000 division-winning campaign, but the Sox just laid a turd the first two months.

They were 14-29 in May and on an eight-game losing streak when Kip Wells, of all people, came up with a lights out performance and beat Toronto 3-1 up in that crappy dome. Then, the Sox won 16 out of 20.

I hope this performance by Humber starts something, because these last two weeks have been miserable beyond belief.

Woofer
04-25-2011, 09:17 PM
That late insurance run was key. I know that helped bring my blood pressure down a few clicks. Really glad to see a win. Don't stop now boys!

Mots09
04-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Great to win a close game hope it builds some confidence.

asindc
04-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Humber on MLB Network right now.

SBSoxFan
04-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Sergio should have been closing since day one.

Sox need to take some momentum from this win and take 3 of 4 in the Bronx and come back home to a crowd that's not on the verge of suicide.

What makes you say that? Hindsight being what it is, who takes a guy with 2 years of pitching experience and makes him a closer?

Humber was :superman:. We've been :waiting: a long time for this one! I wonder if the Yankees are going to :tiphat: to a pitcher they've never faced before.

TDog
04-25-2011, 09:28 PM
A very well-played game tonight, by the White Sox at least. A few observations.

Humber is not nearly as bad as posters at WSI insist he is. It's true that the Yankees have never seen him before, but I especially like the way Humber worked the hitters the second and third time though the order. Most of his strikeouts came early. As the game went on, everything was hit on the ground.

The runs that scored for the Sox tonight reached base on defensive mistakes by the Yankees. Granderson should have let Quentin's hit drop for a single. When he played it into a double, Konerko did his job by hitting behind the runner to move him to third and Dunn went up the middle to bring the run in from third with one out. That was solid execution of fundamental baseball.

Dunn actually looked very good a the plate tonight. For only his second game this season, he didn't strike out. But the only out he made was the game winning hit.

The second Sox run, which was so important, at least from a psychological perspective for Santos, reached base on an infield pop up that dropped.

I loved every move Guillen made tonight as he was making it. I'm sure if I went to the game thread, I would have found an instant defensive opinion, I know. Certainly, it was a game where things worked in his favor. If Humber hadn't been hitless though six, Guillen might have been tempted to go to the rested bullpen.

I liked bringing in Santos to face Jones, even though I knew Santos would probably be facing Chavez. Jones was the last Yankees left fielder on the bench. With two outs and none on and a one-run lead, I would have jumped at the opportunity to get both Gardner and Jones out of the game.

As it turned out, Konerko delivered a hit in the ninth to give the Sox their second run. I don't know if Jones would have had a shot at Lillibridge, but having an inexperienced fielder in left didn't hurt.

There were a lot of things to like about this game tonight. I hope it's the game that brings the White Sox back to the team they should be.

ChicagoG19
04-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Humber with a near no-hitter!
Santos with the save!
Yes! Hell Yes!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Soxfest
04-25-2011, 09:31 PM
We have a closer!

ChiSoxGal85
04-25-2011, 09:40 PM
I swore I wouldn't watch this game (I needed a break after all the angst), and I couldn't because I was at a class anyway. But now I'm sorry I missed a great pitching performance by Humber. Think I'll record a replay of the game and watch it tomorrow.

And 2 runs ain't much, but it's a start...hopefully this will ignite a turnaround.

:bandance:

Boondock Saint
04-25-2011, 09:44 PM
What makes you say that? Hindsight being what it is, who takes a guy with 2 years of pitching experience and makes him a closer?

Humber was :superman:. We've been :waiting: a long time for this one! I wonder if the Yankees are going to :tiphat: to a pitcher they've never faced before.

He's the guy I was touting all along. He's got the stuff, and he's got the stones. Control is something you can work on along the way. He's the best option we have.

SBSoxFan
04-25-2011, 09:47 PM
He's the guy I was touting all along. He's got the stuff, and he's got the stones. Control is something you can work on along the way. He's the best option we have.

Fair enough. You'd have a lot of stones to for making him your closer from the start given Thornton, and even possibly Sale, as options. :tiphat:

soxinem1
04-25-2011, 09:52 PM

Stuff and stones make closers. Mostly the last item.

BainesHOF
04-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Great game by the rookie. Nice finish by Santos.

I didn't appreciate Ozzie's clown act in the dugout throughout the game. Typical, though.

palehozenychicty
04-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Was in the bleachers, then in 213 on the main level. Had to rub it in to my Yank buddies. :bandance:

Humber has really thrown well. We couldn't ask any more out of him at all.

The offense? Way too aggressive against a guy like Burnett who has trouble throwing strikes e.g. AJ's double play was inexcusable on the first pitch.

Otherwise, like Sale and Santos getting it done. White Sox winner.

SBSoxFan
04-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Stuff and stones make closers. Mostly the last item.

Then why do I see so many posts at WSI saying anyone can close? I doubt anyone makes it as a professional athlete without having "stones." You'd have no huge argument from me that Thornton can't close. But it's because he lacks a secondary pitch versus not having the stones for it.

soxinem1
04-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Then why do I see so many posts at WSI saying anyone can close? I doubt anyone makes it as a professional athlete without having "stones." You'd have no huge argument from me that Thornton can't close. But it's because he lacks a secondary pitch versus not having the stones for it.

Didn't say anyone. And I believe stuff is secondary. Mentality wins out, and I do not think Thornton scores high in that category.

Saying that, I think Thornton is a stuff thrower. When his stuff is on, he is tough. When it is not, neither is he.

He had a nice slider for a bit, but this year, he hasn't shown it.

I think Sale has a better assortment of pitches to close, and Santos' secondary stuff is excellent.

Thus going forward, these two will have to decide who will get the job.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Interesting that the only guys to show some balls in the last couple weeks were the two most likely to make NY say, "who the **** is ______"?

Well done Humber and Santos. Hopefully these two have provided the spark that lights a fire under the rest.

voodoochile
04-25-2011, 10:05 PM

I didn't appreciate Ozzie's clown act in the dugout throughout the game. Typical, though.

Just curious why it bothered you. From my perspective he's trying to keep the mood light and this team needs to relax at the moment. More intensity, more pressing won't help them win.

Brian26
04-25-2011, 10:06 PM

You talking about the bush league stuff when he was making the pitching change? Yelling over to the Yankees on-deck circle? Yeah, that was annoying.

LongLiveFisk
04-25-2011, 10:11 PM
I just saw this on a Yankees fan site:

"Our lumber went to slumber against Humber."

:tongue:

SBSoxFan
04-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Didn't say anyone. And I believe stuff is secondary. Mentality wins out, and I do not think Thornton scores high in that category.

Saying that, I think Thornton is a stuff thrower. When his stuff is on, he is tough. When it is not, neither is he.

I think Sale has a better assortment of pitches to close, and Santos' secondary stuff is excellent.

I wasn't trying to single you out. I've seen it suggested here that the last 3 outs are no different than any of the other 3, and baseball needs to get rid of this "you must have a closer" mentality, etc. Of course, when I say a lot of posts, I might be exaggerating. It is, however, comical to me how much most of proclaim to know about baseball while typing from Mom's basement. I'm literally typing from someone's basement right now, but that's for a whole other reason. :D:

And I agree about Thornton's slider. It has seemed non-existent this year. Even last year, his pitch count would be so high because guys fouled off a lot of fastballs. It was hard to see him pitching a lot of back-to-back games.

soxinem1
I just saw this on a Yankees fan site:

"Our lumber went to slumber against Humber."

:tongue:

And the $275 million team felt Dumber?

sunofgold
Lucky that no team is running away from the pack. Only 5 games out of first. 3.5 out of a wild card birth. haha! We are 5-4 against the AL East...that is something to hang your hat on.

Santos was great tonight. It was only one save but against a good team in a tough environment. Give Santos the closer job for now and the chance to keep the job. He has to prove that he can do this on a regular basis. I hope that he can.

kevingrt
04-25-2011, 10:14 PM
It's a Sergio and Humber world and we are just living in it.

So nice to get a win sometimes.

LongLiveFisk
04-25-2011, 10:15 PM
And the $275 million team felt Dumber?

And their minds went number!

SBSoxFan
04-25-2011, 10:15 PM
You talking about the bush league stuff when he was making the pitching change? Yelling over to the Yankees on-deck circle? Yeah, that was annoying.

How was it bush league? Do you even know what he was yelling about? It looked like he was yelling at Jones (from the dugout too before Ozzie even came out to make the pitching change). Or, he was yelling at the umpire for missing Humber's strikeout of Tiexera. Neither of those strike me as bush.

soxinem1
04-25-2011, 10:17 PM
And their minds went number!

And this rhyme needs a plumber....:D:

Brian26
04-25-2011, 10:21 PM
How was it bush league? Do you even know what he was yelling about? It looked like he was yelling at Jones (from the dugout too before Ozzie even came out to make the pitching change). Or, he was yelling at the umpire for missing Humber's strikeout of Tiexera. Neither of those strike me as bush.

I read that he was yelling at Jones, that's how I know.

Call my cynical, but I'd prefer a little more seriousness when he's trying to win a one-run game, only his second victory in the last 12. Save the joking around for after the game at the bar. That's Spring Training/Bush-League nonsense at this point in the season. But, we're all living in Ozzie's world, so, whatever.

Viva Medias B's
04-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Good to win, especially in New York.

LoveYourSuit
04-25-2011, 10:23 PM

It's nice that he likes to interact with fans during the game and fist bumping kids, but I would prefer he saves that for blow out games in our favor.

I guess Ozzie just being Ozzie.

TDog
04-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Then why do I see so many posts at WSI saying anyone can close? ...

I've heard Billy Beane say something similar. And when you see some of the closers who have success with the A's it sometimes it looks like anyone can close.

That isn't true, of course. Some pitchers can't close. And there are more than a few successful closers who burn out.

I don't think Thornton can't close. I've seen successful closers with less than Thornton. I think this year he has been the victim of some tough luck, and the defense behind him hasn't helped his confidence. In his most recent blown save, he was the third option and wasn't even hit well.

A lot of times, it's mental. Successful closers believe they are unhitable even after they blow a save opportunity or two.

Big Hurt so good
04-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Good win... who would have thought 23 games in that Phil Humber would be the best KW signing of the off-season?

Best part though is Santos picking up the save...

PalehosePlanet
04-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Who would have thought before this game that Robinson Cano, batting 5th in the Yankee lineup would play the entire game and only have 3 plate appearances?

That's how good Humber was tonight. He was a very pleasant surprise.

Also nice to see that for once the sinking feeling I had in the ninth inning, after Granderson's lead-off hit, and a 2-0 count to Teixeira, didn't become full blown anger and frustration. Thank you Sergio.

TDog
04-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Just curious why it bothered you. From my perspective he's trying to keep the mood light and this team needs to relax at the moment. More intensity, more pressing won't help them win.

I didn't have any problem with it because Guillen clearly had his head in the game. What some are complaining about as bush league I thought at the time was Guillen making sure Jones had entered the game as the pinch-hitter, in which he maneuvered the Yankees out of having defense in left in the top of the ninth. Of course, I didn't hear what Guillen was saying.

I can understand people being frustrated with the way the Sox are playing, but I get the impression that a lot of people are looking for an excuse to be negative.

Foulke You
04-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Who would have thought before this game that Robinson Cano, batting 5th in the Yankee lineup would play the entire game and only have 3 plate appearances?

That's how good Humber was tonight. He was a very pleasant surprise.

Also nice to see that for once the sinking feeling I had in the ninth inning, after Granderson's lead-off hit, and a 2-0 count to Teixeira, didn't become full blown anger and frustration. Thank you Sergio.
Keeping that dangerous Yankee lineup to as few plate appearances as possible is so important especially in that ballpark. A little flick of the wrist can shoot a ball over the right field wall.

Don't feel bad, I was right there with you in the 9th with that sinking feeling with the leadoff single to Granderson and Sergio's opening bout with control problems ready to unleash colorful expletives. Nice to finally see our bullpen pitch over it and get us the win.

WhiteSox5187
04-25-2011, 11:52 PM
I didn't have any problem with it because Guillen clearly had his head in the game. What some are complaining about as bush league I thought at the time was Guillen making sure Jones had entered the game as the pinch-hitter, in which he maneuvered the Yankees out of having defense in left in the top of the ninth. Of course, I didn't hear what Guillen was saying.

I can understand people being frustrated with the way the Sox are playing, but I get the impression that a lot of people are looking for an excuse to be negative.

I didn't see the Guillen and Jones thing and I didn't watch the game, but aren't they friends? They played together in Atlanta and I thought they had a good relationship last year.

Foulke You
04-25-2011, 11:56 PM
I don't think Thornton can't close. I've seen successful closers with less than Thornton. I think this year he has been the victim of some tough luck, and the defense behind him hasn't helped his confidence. In his most recent blown save, he was the third option and wasn't even hit well.
I've been banging the drum that it wasn't so much a confidence issue with Thornton as it was a velocity issue. As another poster pointed out, Thornton is more of a thrower and not a pitcher and he needs that gas to put hitters away. He was topping out at 94-95 during those blown saves. Throw that dead arm period in with the poor defense and it spelled trouble for Matt. The good news is that Thornton's velocity was back up his last couple appearances and he was getting some Ks. This bodes well if he does indeed return to a full time set up role. When he is going well, we all know that Thornton is one of the best lefty setup guys around. I feel pretty good with Sergio closing right now because he seems confident and has a nice array of pitches to keep hitters guessing.

WhiteSox5187
04-25-2011, 11:57 PM
I've been banging the drum that it wasn't so much a confidence issue with Thornton as it was a velocity issue. As another poster pointed out, Thornton is more of a thrower and not a pitcher and he needs that gas to put hitters away. He was topping out at 94-95 during those blown saves. Throw that dead arm period in with the poor defense and it spelled trouble for Matt. The good news is that Thornton's velocity was back up his last couple appearances and he was getting some Ks. This bodes well if he does indeed return to a full time set up role. When he is going well, we all know that Thornton is one of the best lefty setup guys around. I feel pretty confident with Sergio closing right now because he seems confident and has a nice array of pitches to keep hitters guessing.

In both of his blown saves against Oakland he was hitting 96-97.

Foulke You
04-26-2011, 12:09 AM
In both of his blown saves against Oakland he was hitting 96-97.
I was watching the ballpark gun from my seats on the club level in the first blown save against Oakland. (The Buehrle/Braden matchup) Most of the pitches were 94mph and only a couple hit 95mph. This is what the in-ballpark gun was telling me. Also, the blown save against TB at home the gun on TV never cracked 95 mph. When Thornton is going good, he usually is always between 96-98 mph.

ShooterMcGavin
04-26-2011, 02:24 AM
How refreshing to post in a postgame thread about a White Sox WINNER!

Humber has greatly surpassed my expectations and I'm looking forward to watching his future starts.

doublem23
04-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Thornton's been one of the best late-inning relievers in baseball since we acquired him in 2006. He just hasn't been very sharp this year for whatever reason.

Can we please drop this idiotic "YOU GOTTA HAVE BALLS TO CLOSE" argument? Seriously. These guys are in the top 1% of the top 1% of the top 1% of all baseball players in the world.

asindc
04-26-2011, 08:16 AM
This is a quote from a comment on the MLB article of the game (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110425&content_id=18245498&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb): "Yes Humber pitched well but the Yankees historically do not hit well pitchers they have not seen."

SOXSINCE'70
04-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Yankees suck, Yankees suck,
Theeeeeeeeeeee Yankees suck.

Thank G-d for a White Sox winner.:bandance:

SOXSINCE'70
04-26-2011, 08:27 AM
This is a quote from a comment on the MLB article of the game (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110425&content_id=18245498&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb): "Yes Humber pitched well but the Yankees historically do not hit well pitchers they have not seen."

There's a team on the South Side of Chicago that has this same problem.:angry:

asindc
04-26-2011, 08:48 AM
[/B]

I brought it up because of the many complaints about the Sox not handling "first-time" pitchers well, with the implication being that it is unique to the Sox. It isn't.

Railsplitter
04-26-2011, 08:52 AM
One sure way to gain ground: win while the rest of the division is off:bandance:

Chez
04-26-2011, 09:52 AM
I brought it up because of the many complaints about the Sox not handling "first-time" pitchers well, with the implication being that it is unique to the Sox. It isn't.

You are right. It's not unique to the Sox. I've heard the Yankee broadcasters complain about this for years.

Fenway
04-26-2011, 10:01 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2011/04/26/gal_backpage_0426.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2011/04/26/covers/back042611.jpg

billcissell
04-26-2011, 10:06 AM
So much for the assclown know-it-alls on Score radio. The afternoon tag team of Boers and Bernstein had a field day yesterday predicting what would happen with Humber facing Burnett in the opening match. They chuckled thinking that A-Rod or Granderson would be hitting 450-foot blasts, etc.

Humber looked great last night and outpitched Burnett. Our offense still looked anemic, but Sale and Santos did a nice job out of the pen. And Dunn looked like he actually knew what he was doing at the plate.

Is there anything better than beating the smug Yankees in their own ballpark?

Dick Allen
04-26-2011, 10:14 AM
With our offense, the pitchers have no room for error. Fortunately, the pitchers didn't err last night.

doublem23
04-26-2011, 10:25 AM
With our offense, the pitchers have no room for error. Fortunately, the pitchers didn't err last night.

Yep, if we can just throw 90 more shut outs, playoffs here we come!

Harry Chappas
04-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Thornton's been one of the best late-inning relievers in baseball since we acquired him in 2006. He just hasn't been very sharp this year for whatever reason.

Can we please drop this idiotic "YOU GOTTA HAVE BALLS TO CLOSE" argument? Seriously. These guys are in the top 1% of the top 1% of the top 1% of all baseball players in the world.

Maybe "balls" isn't the right word, but I do think that the mental aspect of closing plays a huge role. Lots of otherwise good pitchers have been given the chance to close and have peed down their collective legs.

In Thornton's case, I think it has less to do with guts and more to do with the fact that he really only has one pitch that he can throw for strikes.

doublem23
04-26-2011, 10:55 AM
In Thornton's case, I think it has less to do with guts and more to do with the fact that he really only has one pitch that he can throw for strikes.

And he's been a one pitch pitcher for almost his entire stay here, yet up until this year he was fabulously consistent and excellent.

DonnieDarko
04-26-2011, 10:57 AM
So much for the assclown know-it-alls on Score radio. The afternoon tag team of Boers and Bernstein had a field day yesterday predicting what would happen with Humber facing Burnett in the opening match. They chuckled thinking that A-Rod or Granderson would be hitting 450-foot blasts, etc.

You know that in the game of baseball with predictions, people are wrong all the time. Honestly? It was a good bet to take that Humber was going to lose to the Yankees and lose badly. The fact that he didn't is a minor miracle in and of itself.

October26
04-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Humber looked great last night and outpitched Burnett. Our offense still looked anemic, but Sale and Santos did a nice job out of the pen. And Dunn looked like he actually knew what he was doing at the plate.

Is there anything better than beating the smug Yankees in their own ballpark?

I agree and this gives me alot of hope that Dunn is gonna start hitting any day now. And yes, it was nice to see the Sox beat the smug Yankees in their own ballpark. Of course, as desperate as we've been for a win lately, it felt great to watch the Sox beat anybody!

Nelfox02
04-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Moment of the game for me was right after the no hit bid got broken up--now 2 men on, tying run at second....only 1 out. would the emotional let down get to Humber? He faced and retired 2 tough hitters and held the slim lead-----for a team often painted as "gutless" and "mentally weak" that was great to see

I was hoping after the disaster in Tampa that we could win the D-Town series and go for a split in NY....so much for that plan.

Hoping now we can at worst split this one, any maybe get hot at home starting this weekend

we are not going to get another 25-5 run this June, but maybe if we dont play like **** this week and in May, we wont need it.

doublem23
04-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Moment of the game for me was right after the no hit bid got broken up--now 2 men on, tying run at second....only 1 out. would the emotional let down get to Humber? He faced and retired 2 tough hitters and held the slim lead-----for a team often painted as "gutless" and "mentally weak" that was great to see

Yeah, pretty much proves those are worthless buzzwords people like to throw around that don't actually mean anything

TDog
04-26-2011, 01:23 PM

Fans and the media and the quasi-media say that about just about every team just about every year because teams sometimes get shut down by pitchers they have never seen before.

I don't know if the Yankees have faced any pitchers this season they have never faced before, but they haven't gone the first six innings of a game this year without getting a hit against any other starter this season. And if the Yankees are at a severe disadvantage against pitchers they have never seen before, they shouldn't be looking forward to interleague play.

Last year, I'm pretty sure the White Sox had a winning record in games started by pitchers they hadn't seen before. (That includes the game where the Sox didn't hit Strasburg well, but Danks outpitched him.) I certainly would bet the Yankees did. It's true that a pitcher you don't know has something of an edge if he is pitching well and has good stuff, but no one in the American League had trouble with Daniel Hudson last year. The Royals and A's weren't the Yankees, though.

Humber pitched a great game. He is a former busted first-round Mets draft choice, and that makes it worse if you're a Yankees fan. There has to be an excuse.

kufram
04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
I kind of expected the win, whenever it finally came, to be an offensive explosion.. a messy win, but a win. In fact, it was a perfect win for the team, I think. A starter kept them in a tight game with a great performance, bullpen help when it was needed, a save under pressure, and enough hitting at the right times. I don't think anybody, including the players, was sure they could win a game like that. Now they know they can

NOW, can we please have the offensive explosion that will dry everybody's tears?... at least for a day.

WhiteSox5187
04-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah, pretty much proves those are worthless buzzwords people like to throw around that don't actually mean anything

Yes, one game takes away all criticisms of this team.

sunofgold
04-26-2011, 01:38 PM
WINS: Yanks 12, PALE HOSE 9. Let's win 3 more and even the SCORE.

doublem23
04-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Yes, one game takes away all criticisms of this team.

Yeah, THAT'S WHAT I ****ING SAID

If you want to criticize these guys for pitching poorly, or having a poor approach at the plate, or anything actually quantifiable (i.e. EXISTS IN REALITY), that's fine, go ahead. But calling players "gutless" or whatever is idiotic, half-assed bull****. Those words don't mean **** to anyone with a brain. No baseball team is out there "showing heart" or "guts" on April 20. They're just executing or not.

Anyone who thinks the Sox struggles are, at their core, because these guys don't want to win or whatever needs to be hit in the face with a shovel.

The Immigrant
04-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Anyone who thinks the Sox struggles are, at their core, because these guys don't want to win or whatever needs to be hit in the face with a shovel.

:rolling:

Nellie_Fox
04-26-2011, 01:43 PM
:thumbsup:

WhiteSox5187
04-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Yeah, THAT'S WHAT I ****ING SAID

If you want to criticize these guys for pitching poorly, or having a poor approach at the plate, or anything actually quantifiable (i.e. EXISTS IN REALITY), that's fine, go ahead. But calling players "gutless" or whatever is idiotic, half-assed bull****. Those words don't mean **** to anyone with a brain. No baseball team is out there "showing heart" or "guts" on April 20. They're just executing or not.

I am fairly certain I have a brain, but I appreciate your concern. And while obviously anyone here who disagrees with your opinion on this topic, by your own words, must be facing some sort of mental deficiency, I am reluctant to engage you any further, but since I am obviously mentally impaired I will give it a go.

It is not that they don't want to win, every team wants to win. There is another side to anything other than just execution. There is a psychology to all things, and you can see that just in watching players' reactions to things. For example when Matt Thornton gave up those two leads to Oakland he looked glassy eyed, as did everyone else on the Sox. Rather than trying to string together hits or get a rally going in their half of the inning they just LOOKED shell shocked. You can see it when they play the Twins year in and year out. When you go 5-13 against a team like we did against the Twins or go 1-11 in a stretch like we did this year, it suggests one of two things: either the team is not particularly talented or good, or something more psychological that is harder to quantify on paper.

But, obviously I don't have a brain, so what do I know?

BringHomeDaBacon
04-26-2011, 02:16 PM

I don't know about the team being "gutless" or "mentally weak" (I agree with doublem23) but the fact that journeyman fifth starter pitched the game of his life hardly dispels those notions.

All the props in the world to Humber but if anything, the fact that the offense couldn't muster anything behind him in a hitter's paradise after being shut out twice in a row only supports those descriptions however meaningless they may be.

tstrike2000
04-26-2011, 02:18 PM
I am fairly certain I have a brain, but I appreciate your concern. And while obviously anyone here who disagrees with your opinion on this topic, by your own words, must be facing some sort of mental deficiency, I am reluctant to engage you any further, but since I am obviously mentally impaired I will give it a go.

It is not that they don't want to win, every team wants to win. There is another side to anything other than just execution. There is a psychology to all things, and you can see that just in watching players' reactions to things. For example when Matt Thornton gave up those two leads to Oakland he looked glassy eyed, as did everyone else on the Sox. Rather than trying to string together hits or get a rally going in their half of the inning they just LOOKED shell shocked. You can see it when they play the Twins year in and year out. When you go 5-13 against a team like we did against the Twins or go 1-11 in a stretch like we did this year, it suggests one of two things: either the team is not particularly talented or good, or something more psychological that is harder to quantify on paper.

You can just blame me for having no brain. I'm the one who said gutless after Sunday's game.

TDog
04-26-2011, 02:34 PM

That is a very funny line.

voodoochile
04-26-2011, 02:44 PM

And all of that is your perception which is indeed your reality but is also filtered through your own expectations and biases about the players, coaches, manager, GM, owner and team in general.

To YOU Thornton looked glassy eyed. To YOU the team looked shell shocked.

I agree they've looked frustrated and like they are pressing recently, but what we see is never through an objective lens and maybe in reality you were the one glassy eyed and shell shocked and projecting those feelings onto what you were seeing.

asindc
04-27-2011, 07:49 AM

[/B]

You are right. It's not unique to the Sox. I've heard the Yankee broadcasters complain about this for years.

... and no sooner than we speak, Boston was held to one run in six innings last night by a pitcher they had never faced before, eventually losing 4-1 to Baltimore.:cool:

SI1020
04-27-2011, 08:53 AM
That is a very funny line. I thought it was a personal attack, but maybe I'm not too smart either.