PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Rectal-Cranial Inversion Cap Tipping: DET 3, SOX 0 Postgamer

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2011, 02:25 PM
The malaise (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/malaise) continues...

Frater Perdurabo
04-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Somehow the Sox are able to tip their caps while their heads are up their butts.

soltrain21
04-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Screw these guys. I'd rather watch young players in rebuilding than this garbage. At least then we know a bunch of money wasn't spent on the same results. Hell, they'd at least be exciting to watch.

LongLiveFisk
04-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Call a doctor. Somebody check for a pulse or some signs of life.

Big Hurt so good
here's the issue in a nutshell: that horrendous start we were all hoping to avoid and figuring they'd learn to avoid has happened again...

the problem is not even a 25-5 run got them to the playoffs last season... and there isn't a 25-5 run that's going to happen again this season...

so, it leaves many great philosophers asking: WHY CONTINUE CARING?

Soxman219
:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

SoxSpeed22
Fire everyone
I've seen better efforts in our posts.

October26
04-24-2011, 02:28 PM
JUST AWFUL. Sox record is now 8 wins and 14 losses. I feel sick for John Danks who now has 0 wins and 3 losses. TERRIBLE.

Viva Medias B's
Fire everyone
I've seen better efforts in our posts.

Whether or not that should happen, it won't anytime soon.

LITTLE NELL
here's the issue in a nutshell: that horrendous start we were all hoping to avoid and figuring they'd learn to avoid has happened again...

the problem is not even a 25-5 run got them to the playoffs last season... and there isn't a 25-5 run that's going to happen again this season...

If you love the White Sox, you have to care.
This is driving me nuts and I don't need this at age 65.

delben91
04-24-2011, 02:29 PM

Easy, I don't. I typically get at least mildly upset when the Sox lose and mildly happy when they win.

I am not completely emotionless following losses, and even after the win over TB I was more surprised than anything else.

I'll tune back in when they do something worth watching.

SI1020
:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat: You need more hats than that.

EnglishChiSox
Fire anybody, I've seen more life in the Antiques Roadshow exhibits

Nelfox02
04-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Screw these guys. I'd rather watch young players in rebuilding than this garbage. At least then we know a bunch of money wasn't spent on the same results. Hell, they'd at least be exciting to watch.

agree....at least then you could say maybe it was going toward something better down the line (hopefully).....this? it just an epic ****ing waste of time and money

this team, organization, going nowhere.

Viva Medias B's
Of course we continue to care; that is why we are here talking about the malaise state of our team here on WSI.

Big Hurt so good
If you love the White Sox, you have to care.

I agree with you... we're all diehard fans and so we'll continue to care... and watch and subject ourselves to this absolute awfulness...

it's just very hard on the heart and the mind to know that the season is basically over on April 24...

I will continue to pray that my last statement is wrong, I just don't see how that can be the case

kittle42
Easy, I don't. I typically get at least mildly upset when the Sox lose and mildly happy when they win.

I am not completely emotionless following losses, and even after the win over TB I was more surprised than anything else.

I'll tune back in when they do something worth watching.

This is how I feel right now. They're simply not worth my time.

harwar
Maybe they should try changing the theme song to "whole lotta rosie" .. it can't hurt ..

SoxSpeed22
04-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Whether or not that should happen, it won't anytime soon.I don't expect many changes now, just something I might say over and over this season.

LoveYourSuit
04-24-2011, 02:32 PM
I guess we can use the Lovie factor: Keep rooting for them to lose so that they clean house with the staff.

Unfortunately the Bears backed into the NFC Championship and saved Lovie his job.

This staff needs to go, Everyone must go.

And for those who compare this to last year, give me a damn break.

You think the Sox can make that interleague run they made last year once again this year? That run is a once in a lifetime type run they made just to get back into it. It's not gonna happen.

Only hope the Sox have this year is that the AL Central is an 87-88 win division for the crown. Quite frankly, that's pathetic.

kittle42
04-24-2011, 02:33 PM
This team could go 8-154 and no one would get fired.

samurai_sox
I'm not gonna sugercoat it,

this team sucks.

34rancher
I'll jut call it the curse of Dunn. Never been on a winner.

LongLiveFisk
04-24-2011, 02:34 PM
At least Rongey's show should be entertaining once again.

SI1020
04-24-2011, 02:34 PM
This team could go 8-154 and no one would get fired. They say White Sox management sometimes lurks here. I hope someone in authority with a little brains reads this post.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Same ****, different underwear.

cws05champ
04-24-2011, 02:39 PM

Same here...I usually watch every game or DVR it and watch through it. But right now if I catch some of the game fine....but I am just not invested in THIS.

I'm just tired of Walker and Ozzie, have been for a couple years.....it's closing time, I don't care where you go but you can't stay here.

LITTLE NELL
04-24-2011, 02:39 PM
At least Rongey's show should be entertaining once again.

Can I get his show on my computer?
They block out the Sox games.

SoxSpeed22
04-24-2011, 02:40 PM
They block out the Sox games.Go for a drive.

ChiSoxGal85
04-24-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't care how "early" it is in the season. No one is going to strike April games off the final W-L totals at the end of the season.

Really, really painful to watch. I love the Sox. I hate when they play bad baseball for an extended period of time.

I have tickets for a couple of games already. But I was planning on buying tickets for a few random games that we could fit on our schedule. Not going to waste my money right now. Maybe they can turn it around.

kittle42
04-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Go for a drive.

In Florida?

MarySwiss
Funny you should say that. Soltrain. I was stomping around the house ranting about "firing them all" and MrMarySwiss asked "Fire who all?" I said (screamed), "Everybody! Manager, coaches, players! Bring up the team from Charlotte!"

Okay, maybe I was a little upset, but.... :angry:

WhiteSox5187
Ozzie and Kenny should probably be fired, but not until the end of the season as there is still time to turn this around. But Greg Walker can and should be fired right now. Whatever his strategy is, it's clear that it's not working and it never works in April which is why we have to play ****ing catch up for the next two months.

LongLiveFisk

If you go to a search engine and type the Score 670 Chris Rongey, or something along those lines, you may be able to find it (?).....I'd check myself but my computer is moving way too slow right now.

LoveYourSuit
04-24-2011, 02:42 PM
I'll jut call it the curse of Dunn. Never been on a winner.

He has had ZERO factor on the offense this year.

The Sox signed a game changer, he hasn't done ****.

Guys who need to start looking themselves in the mirror starts with Dunn and then Rios.

Getting paid way too much coin to suck this bad.

southside rocks
04-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Ditto.

I'm glad I didn't renew my Ozzie Plan ticket package this year. Right now I can't imagine spending a dollar to see this team play.

voodoochile
04-24-2011, 02:43 PM
This is pathetic. Even a diehard optimist like me is getting plenty fed up. I'm turning off games early (which I almost never do).

Honestly this is lame...:angry:

LoveYourSuit
04-24-2011, 02:45 PM

Why do you want listen to that crap?

Dumb fans calling in for stupid **** and then Rongey on the defense for Ozzie, the staff, and players.

The callers are dumb asses and the host is a company mouth piece.

ChiSoxGal85
If you go to a search engine and type the Score 670 Chris Rongey, or something along those lines, you may be able to find it (?).....I'd check myself but my computer is moving way too slow right now.
Usually I can pick Ranger's show up on Yahoo! Radio or my computer - but for some reason it's not playing right now. Not sure if they forgot to switch the stream over or what.

I can't do the regular ol' radio out here, it's too static-y.

MarySwiss
I was really looking forward to the upcoming series with the D'Backs out here. Now I'm not sure I want to waste my money. :(:

Sad
04-24-2011, 02:46 PM
this is bull****
I want my ****ing money back :angry:

10 out of 11

Viva Medias B's
Has the level of angst ever been this high?

kittle42
I'd also like to say that, even though he had no impact on today's loss, Mark Buehrle will finish the season with an ERA above 5.00.

LongLiveFisk
04-24-2011, 02:49 PM

Dumb fans calling in for stupid **** and then Rongey on the defense for Ozzie, the staff, and players.

But you might win some Beggar's Pizza.

manders_01
04-24-2011, 02:49 PM

Yes (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/station/670-the-score/)

LITTLE NELL
04-24-2011, 02:50 PM

Just curious, never heard it before and I thought there could be a news flash about Ozzie and his whole staff getting canned.

manders_01
04-24-2011, 02:50 PM
But you might win some Beggar's Pizza.

Chris just gave some pizza away as consolation for the loss. :whiner:

LoveYourSuit
04-24-2011, 02:51 PM

It has plenty of times during the current regime.

But I think the stakes (all in) have not been this high, ever. In franchise history.

I think the killer here is the financial obligations this team has and nothing of value in the farm system.

This is Baltimore Orioles bad right now.

The crazy thing is that there is talent here to win on the big league club. No one can tell me that this team is not good enough to win.

What are they waiting for to fire everyone and try saving this season?

Nelfox02
04-24-2011, 02:51 PM

recently? no.....expectations very high, payroll very high, you would think stakes high for people in this organization but if you want them that seem like they could care less

LoveYourSuit
04-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Just curious, never heard it before and I thought there could be a news flash about Ozzie and his whole staff getting canned.

I can guarantee you would hear about it here as quick as you would there.

WhiteSox5187
04-24-2011, 02:55 PM
I can guarantee you would hear about it here as quick as you would there.

And it's not going to happen until after Memorial Day, but really I don't think that would have much of an impact. The problem starts at the top and goes all the way through.

LoveYourSuit
04-24-2011, 02:56 PM
I'd also like to say that, even though he had no impact on today's loss, Mark Buehrle will finish the season with an ERA above 5.00.

He'll find the way to get below 5.00, like say 4.89 and then Kenny will lock him up for another 3 years just to please dumb fans.

The guy's junk is not fooling AL hitters anymore.

yazz32
04-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Worse start since 2001 (Sox were 7-15 in 2001)

Jurr
04-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Fat cats, all with big, difficult-to-move contracts. No sense of urgency. No chips on shoulders. Nothing to prove.

Go out, get beat, cash the same paycheck. As is the situation with most people, motivation becomes a bigger problem for players once they have the coin. That is, unless they are just hall-of-fame caliber competitors, who care about nothing besides winning.

It's nice to have a group of players all signed up, but there are too many fat and happy players here. They have pissed on all of the corners...their scents are in place.

I BY FAR enjoy watching the Pirates this year more than the Sox, because at least the young Bucs act like there's something to play for.

johnnyg83
04-24-2011, 03:01 PM
I am getting a lot more done. Just have to check in on them now instead of watching the whole game.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-24-2011, 03:02 PM

Regardless of sport, this is the worst least interesting kind of team. The overpriced, underperforming crew of past their prime veterans. Yuck.

GoGoCrede
04-24-2011, 03:04 PM
I am usually an annoying optimist when it comes to this team, but **** this. I haven't watched a game in a week and I don't intend to until something changes. Oh well, I will probably save a lot of money if I don't go to as many games.

dwitt76
04-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Worst team in MLB record wise :whiner:

A. Cavatica
04-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Start by firing the manager.

Keep KW, and let him hire Ozzie's replacement, on condition that if the replacement doesn't get the team to play .550 ball for the rest of the season, then Kenny goes too.

Let the new manager decide which of the coaches he wants to keep.

Put the word out that anyone on the roster could be had in the right trade, and see what kinds of offers come back.

Include a concession voucher with every ticket sold for the rest of the season.

Jurr
04-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Regardless of sport, this is the worst least interesting kind of team. The overpriced, underperforming crew of past their prime veterans. Yuck.

I could not agree more.

kittle42
04-24-2011, 03:17 PM
He'll find the way to get below 5.00, like say 4.89 and then Kenny will lock him up for another 3 years just to please dumb fans.

The guy's junk is not fooling AL hitters anymore.

He's pretty bad.

mccoydp
04-24-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm so glad that I'm not able to watch any games over here in Saudi Arabia, due to bandwidth issues (MLB.TV) and lack of available games on Armed Forces Network (AFN). I was so excited for this season to start.

I was going to get MLB Extra Innings when I return home in June, but **** that. I also planned on traveling to Phoenix and Denver to watch the Sox when they play there in June, but **** that as well.

I feel bad for those of you who actually have watched some of this garbage, either live or on television. I'm not about to watch their bad baseball, so at least I've got several seasons of "House, M.D." to watch over the next month or so.

I just finished watching the Miami-Philadelphia game on AFN with a co-worker of mine, and they had an ad for the upcoming Sox-Yankees game. They mentioned that the Sox were on their way to losing the 10th out of their last 11 games, and I said "it figures". I immediately moved to WSI to read the gamethread :redneck.

tstrike2000
04-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Gutless

Bucky F. Dent
04-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Well, at least there were no errors today.....:?:

kittle42
04-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Gutless

I really hate when people use this term to describe losing teams, especially in baseball, where "guts" are so rarely demonstrated.

Brewski
04-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Start by firing the manager.

Keep KW, and let him hire Ozzie's replacement, on condition that if the replacement doesn't get the team to play .550 ball for the rest of the season, then Kenny goes too.

Let the new manager decide which of the coaches he wants to keep.

Put the word out that anyone on the roster could be had in the right trade, and see what kinds of offers come back.

Include a concession voucher with every ticket sold for the rest of the season.

Free beer! That'll bring out the fans. Nachos too.

He's pretty bad.

He was pretty good the first game of the year. But I agree.

Tragg
04-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Are pinch hitters still allowed in baseball?

Madvora
04-24-2011, 03:48 PM
"It's early" only means there's much, much more of this to come.

wassagstdu
04-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Paul Konerko is a good player and his attitude seems to work well for him (NEVER play with a sense of urgency) but it is killing the Sox franchise. If they do not develop a sense of urgency and quickly, the Sox will end up liquidating this team and going into long, long rebuilding phase that nobody will enjoy.

KyWhiSoxFan
04-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Someone needs to be fired, and it may as well be Walker to start with.

If this is supposed to be a great offensive team, it is not showing up on the field or in the stats.

I think the players are too complacent, and Konerko is captain of complacency as far as I'm concerned. When he said the other day that you have to wait till the All Star break before you become concerned with their record, that about says it all. I guess we have to wait for another 50 games like this before he becomes concerned, too. I suppose when you make as much as him, you're not concerned by much.

Firing Walker should at least get some people's attention, particularly Konerko, who loves him so much.

Soxman219
04-24-2011, 04:15 PM
At this rate, we'll get the number 1 pick in next year's draft

wsoxfan
04-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Is it still too early to change the slogan from "all in" to "fold"?

Jurr
04-24-2011, 04:39 PM
At this rate, we'll get the number 1 pick in next year's draft

Then we'll trade him for a year of Vlad Guerrero.

captain54
04-24-2011, 04:41 PM

It is kind of interesting that no matter how terrible the team is, management is never at fault, according to Rongey.

The callers are not all dumb asses. A guy today made a good point about
how there's a disturbing pattern with this team that occurs every year since 05', and while the rosters change, management has been the constant. That's a legitimate point, but instead, it gets spun into the same old "well, the manager and GM don't hit/bunt/field and pitch."

When a major market team with a $120 mill payroll has the worst or near the worst record in MLB at the end of April, it's a distrubing course of events, for sure, and EVERYTHING needs to be evaluated as the culprit, from the manager, GM, coaches, all the way down to the players.

The bottom line is, we're only a month into the season and you can already sense apathy amongst the fans. Given some of the contracts the Sox have doled out to players and given the loyalty JR has for the GM and field manager, chances are nothing will really change, attendance will be down and the Sox organization will lose a ton of money this year, provided the current trend continues.

Which comes back to the original point. Even if the current trend does not continue, and the Sox end up getting hot at some stretch of the season, they will ultimately fall short come September. Just as they have the last 6 yrs (save the miracle of 08'). It's becoming as predictable as Thanksgiving in Nov and Christmas in Dec. So whether its the players, the GM, Ozzie or whatever, collectively, it's not working. Given that, you can't really argue against fresh blood SOMEWHERE, regardless of whether or not you can prove it's gonna make a difference.

Madvora
04-24-2011, 04:48 PM
What I hate the most is that these losses aren't really bothering me anymore.
I shouldn't be expecting this from this team, but I do. I know this is going to happen every year.

SOXSINCE'70
04-24-2011, 04:54 PM

I'm only about be 49, and I don't need this either.
Time to take a small break.Haven't been able to watch the malaise lately.
I'll start again when they can win 2 in a row. Let's start small.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Well boys and girls that's 11 of 13. And this is the 3rd time this year the Sox lost a game when allowed three runs of less.

"Corpse-ball" (aka Walker-ball) is alive and well it seems. At least these guys are getting in their "cap-tipping" work!

Never, honest to God did I think this team with this talent would get off to this kind of start. Amazing. Three consecutive years now.

One can only imagine what ownership and the front office is thinking.

A few days ago I was in touch with a member of the Chicago media and the point I was making was that this could turn into a disaster like the organization hasn't seen in decades. A 125 million dollar payroll, with a lousy record and no fans come the summer.

The person e-mailed me back and said (and while this individual is neutral when it comes to the Sox I know they doesn't wish them bad) "Can't wait to see Brooks with a sandwich board standing outside of the ballpark trying to sell tickets..." He was being facetious of course, but the point is you won't be able to give away tickets at this rate.

Doesn't look good, the team shows no life, nothing...at least act like you care guys, even if you have to fake it.

Lip

Red Barchetta
04-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Well boys and girls that's 11 of 13. And this is the 3rd time this year the Sox lost a game when allowed three runs of less.

Corpse-ball (aka Walker-ball) is alive and well it seems.

Never, honest to God did I think this team with this talent would get off to this kind of start. Amazing. Three consecutive years now.

A few days ago I was in touch with a member of the Chicago media and the point I was making was that this could turn into a disaster like the organization hasn't seen in decades. A 125 million dollar payroll, with a lousy record and no fans come the summer.

The person e-mailed me back and said (and while this individual is neutral when it comes to the Sox I know they doesn't wish them bad) "Can't wait to see Brooks with a sandwich board standing outside of the ballpark trying to sell tickets..." He was being facetious of course, bu the point is you won't be able to give away tickets at this rate.

Doesn't look good, the team shows no life, nothing...at least act like you care guys, even if you have to fake it.

Lip

They did not have a strong spring and then jumped out of the gates much to the surprise of most of us. The blown saves kept them close to the pack and now the wheels have fallen off. I sure hope Peavy doesn't think he is expected to be the savior when he returns. This teams needs leadership and has none.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2011, 05:19 PM
Red:

I think the four blown games destroyed the team mentally. That's just my opinion and if true says a lot about the "character" of the club if they mentally starting mailing it in with 140 games to go.

Lip

04-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Watching these guys is like going to the dentist after a trip to the proctologist

Dan H
04-24-2011, 05:26 PM
To be shut out twice in a row in this day and age is ridiculous.

I doubt that Reinsdorf will do anything right now, but I don't see how he can do nothing if the team tanks this season. Regardless, I don't remember a team looking this bad at the plate since the punch less clubs of the late Sixties. And those teams never, ever hit well. So Konerko thinks we don't have to worry until All-Star break? If the White Sox don't start turning it around now, the season will be over by Mother's Day.

SI1020
04-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Red:

I think the four blown games destroyed the team mentally. That's just my opinion and if true says a lot about the "character" of the club if they mentally starting mailing it in with 140 games to go.

Lip In 05 they get off to the great start that lasts past the All Star break. Then they had two tough months and just when it looked like the Indians were going to catch and pass them they found their mojo again and win the division going away. Then they literally destroyed the opposition in the post season. Since the second half of 06 this team tends to fold up like an accordion when it matters most. Why?

Railsplitter
04-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Arghhh!!

daveeym
04-24-2011, 05:29 PM
It is kind of interesting that no matter how terrible the team is, management is never at fault, according to Rongey.

The callers are not all dumb asses. A guy today made a good point about
how there's a disturbing pattern with this team that occurs every year since 05', and while the rosters change, management has been the constant. That's a legitimate point, but instead, it gets spun into the same old "well, the manager and GM don't hit/bunt/field and pitch."

When a major market team with a $120 mill payroll has the worst or near the worst record in MLB at the end of April, it's a distrubing course of events, for sure, and EVERYTHING needs to be evaluated as the culprit, from the manager, GM, coaches, all the way down to the players.

The bottom line is, we're only a month into the season and you can already sense apathy amongst the fans. Given some of the contracts the Sox have doled out to players and given the loyalty JR has for the GM and field manager, chances are nothing will really change, attendance will be down and the Sox organization will lose a ton of money this year, provided the current trend continues.

Which comes back to the original point. Even if the current trend does not continue, and the Sox end up getting hot at some stretch of the season, they will ultimately fall short come September. Just as they have the last 6 yrs (save the miracle of 08'). It's becoming as predictable as Thanksgiving in Nov and Christmas in Dec. So whether its the players, the GM, Ozzie or whatever, collectively, it's not working. Given that, you can't really argue against fresh blood SOMEWHERE, regardless of whether or not you can prove it's gonna make a difference. I bet this team makes the playoffs if Ozzie is canned by the 7th of May. 2 more weeks for him to right the ship.

ChiSoxGal85
04-24-2011, 05:49 PM
I really need to do this too. I just keep hoping every game I watch is the one they're going to snap the funk. :(:

Brian26
04-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Fat cats, all with big, difficult-to-move contracts. No sense of urgency. No chips on shoulders. Nothing to prove.

Go out, get beat, cash the same paycheck. As is the situation with most people, motivation becomes a bigger problem for players once they have the coin. That is, unless they are just hall-of-fame caliber competitors, who care about nothing besides winning.

It's nice to have a group of players all signed up, but there are too many fat and happy players here. They have pissed on all of the corners...their scents are in place.

I BY FAR enjoy watching the Pirates this year more than the Sox, because at least the young Bucs act like there's something to play for.

Lots of truth here.

I don't group Konerko on that list, but lots of truth.

SBSoxFan
04-24-2011, 05:59 PM

It seemed like they had avoided that horrendous start. They were 7-4 and everyone one, including myself, was bemoaning the fact that they weren't 10-1. What happened to that team?!

The Sox aren't the only team to tank so far after a good start --- Baltimore and Cincinnati come to mind.

rookie
04-24-2011, 06:08 PM
I am usually an annoying optimist when it comes to this team, but **** this. I haven't watched a game in a week and I don't intend to until something changes. Oh well, I will probably save a lot of money if I don't go to as many games.

Well, optimist, here's an encouraging thought that gave me some hope. On the radio they said that our record is only one loss worse than our record last year, though I think it's hard to repeat the winning streak we had last June.

I just want them to get out of this funk. I don't want to get angry or down about it. Luckily I have a distraction in the Bulls, but I miss rooting for my Sox.

Harry Potter
04-24-2011, 06:10 PM

The person e-mailed me back and said (and while this individual is neutral when it comes to the Sox I know they doesn't wish them bad) "Can't wait to see Brooks with a sandwich board standing outside of the ballpark trying to sell tickets..." He was being facetious of course, but the point is you won't be able to give away tickets at this rate.

Anyone want to start a poll after this team returns home next Friday with it's tail between its leg as to how soon we start hearing Uncle Jerry and/or Kenny complaining/begging about attendance? :angry:

Lip Man 1
04-24-2011, 06:14 PM
As I was told in the mid-1990s, "there's nothing worse than an unproductive team of veterans."

Lip

soltrain21
04-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Anyone want to start a poll after this team returns home next Friday with it's tail between its leg as to how soon we start hearing Uncle Jerry and/or Kenny complaining/begging about attendance? :angry:

If they complain about attendance after this showing as soon as we get back than I will seriously consider going to a game again until the regime is gone.

With that being said, I don't see them saying anything.

Zakath
04-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Red:

Lip

+1. When the offense goes out and does everything it can to win, the starters hand off a win to the pen, and it all collapses, OVER and OVER again,
there's no way it doesn't have an effect.

Really not looking forward to seeing this team in Yankee Stadium...

LoveYourSuit
04-24-2011, 06:39 PM
As I was told in the mid-1990s, "there's nothing worse than an unproductive team of veterans."

Lip

Only other thing worse is a team going young with no young talent.

That's what we would be.

Had the Sox not done this "all in" offseason, you would have been looking at another train wreck like 2007. At least this "all in" effort gave us hope going into the Spring and in all honesty should have produced a better start than this crap.

There is plenty of talent on this team to win right now. You are just not getting the results. I point at the coaching stafff and manager for this.

Hendu
04-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Glad I didn't go to this game and decided to go explore downtown and cross the river into Windsor instead. Like others I'm starting to not really care about this team less than one month into the season. I'm sure Ozzie will go on another rant and nothing will change.

Zakath
04-24-2011, 06:43 PM
He has had ZERO factor on the offense this year.

The Sox signed a game changer, he hasn't done ****.

Guys who need to start looking themselves in the mirror starts with Dunn and then Rios.

Getting paid way too much coin to suck this bad.

I was among the most vocal last year saying I wanted no part of Dunn, but I didn't imagine he would be this bad. I'm willing to cut him a little slack based on the appendectomy, but there's no question now that he came back way too early.

Pre-appendectomy - 4-14, 4 BB's, 3 K's
Post-appendectomy - 4-41, 6 BB, 21 K's

Put him back on the table and stick the damn thing back in. Hell, I'll give him mine.

twinsuck
04-24-2011, 08:00 PM
I can't take this **** anymore... Can you just do us a favor, Sox, and at least win one against the Yankees??

PalehosePlanet
04-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Ditto.

I'm glad I didn't renew my Ozzie Plan ticket package this year. Right now I can't imagine spending a dollar to see this team play.

As pissed off as I am right now I still plan on buying some tickets in the next couple of weeks.

In fact if things go according to plan I'll purchase the "Cito" plan.

Jurr
04-24-2011, 08:17 PM
One thing I really worry about is the difficulty of moving parts if the wheels totally fall off. Who can afford these crazy contracts at the deadline, especially if the vets aren't producing? It turns into a Mets situation.

You would think with the "talent" on the roster, they could reload the system quickly if need be. With these contracts, I have my doubts.

That said, I still see the Sox getting their heads on straight and at least playing competitive ball. If the Yankees absolutely blow them out and the team is listless, some change will happen.

Brian26
04-24-2011, 08:31 PM
As pissed off as I am right now I still plan on buying some tickets in the next couple of weeks.

In fact if things go according to plan I'll purchase the "Cito" plan.

Cito Gaston is retired. He's not coming back to manage the White Sox.

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2011, 08:38 PM

Thank God.

PalehosePlanet
04-24-2011, 08:41 PM

It was a joke; he's 67 years old now. I wanted to use a first name only manager that would be recognized, ala Ozzie.

The sentiment still stands though.

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2011, 08:43 PM
This is reminding me of 1995, when we were supposed to contend but fell on our face. That year, Gene Lamont got canned after we lost a Memorial Day week series in Cleveland.

PalehosePlanet
04-24-2011, 08:49 PM
This is reminding me of 1995, when we were supposed to contend but fell on our face. That year, Gene Lamont got canned after we lost a Memorial Day week series in Cleveland.

That season started late because of the lockout, and after an 11-20 start I remember wishing it would have never started at all.

And yes, we were exactly 8-14 to start that year too. Hopefully the end result this time won't be Terry ****ing Bevington.

Frater Perdurabo
04-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Hypothetically, say Ozzie gets canned. Who replaces him? Cora? Would Cora represent enough of a "departure" that would get the team to play better for him?

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Hypothetically, say Ozzie gets canned. Who replaces him? Cora? Would Cora represent enough of a "departure" that would get the team to play better for him?

I say Buddy Bell, who currently works in the organization as Director of Player Development. He would manage the balance of the season, in spite of his 519-724 (.418) managerial record.

:o:

johnnyg83
04-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Good question, Frater. I don't think Cora is far enough away from the establishment.

Dave Duncan?

Rick Anderson?

PalehosePlanet
04-24-2011, 08:58 PM

IMO absolutely not Cora. It would have to be someone outside of the organization to spark this team.

Cora would probably make a decent manager elsewhere, but I don't think the team would react to him in this situation.

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Good question, Frater. I don't think Cora is far enough away from the establishment.

Dave Duncan?

Rick Anderson?

Dave Duncan is permanently attached to TLR's hip.

captain54
04-24-2011, 09:03 PM

and the beginning of the Terry Bevington era...

Coming off the 94' strike year, the Sox started the season 2-8, and were 11-20 when Lamont was canned.

Johnny Mostil
04-24-2011, 09:03 PM
This is pathetic. Even a diehard optimist like me is getting plenty fed up. I'm turning off games early (which I almost never do).

Honestly this is lame...:angry:

Lately, I've been so swamped with work that I haven't had time to do much but glance at box scores. But I must say, brother, with all due and considerable respect, that if the team has even lost you then they must be playing like crap. So thanks at least for being my barometer!

PalehosePlanet
04-24-2011, 09:05 PM

True, and besides, it would have to be someone that's unemployed right now.

GoGoCrede
04-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Well, optimist, here's an encouraging thought that gave me some hope. On the radio they said that our record is only one loss worse than our record last year, though I think it's hard to repeat the winning streak we had last June.

I just want them to get out of this funk. I don't want to get angry or down about it. Luckily I have a distraction in the Bulls, but I miss rooting for my Sox.

I'm sure they'll get better (I think it's impossible to get worse). But right now it's hard to watch any games, especially since I have homework and other things to do in the evening.

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2011, 09:17 PM
I said it before in this thread. We are in a malaise. I see it reflected in a number of comments from posters saying they don't care to watch games anymore.

johnnyg83
04-24-2011, 09:18 PM

I know. Wishful thinking ... he has some history here and might be at the point in his life where he doesn't want to be the lieutenant anymore.

Tragg
04-24-2011, 09:32 PM
I think it would have to be Cora. For one thing, he may be his own man. Second, it's tough to really find the guy you want in-season anyway.
Third, this mess is on Williams too. May be too soon to find a permanent manager.

johnnyg83
04-24-2011, 09:46 PM
I think it would have to be Cora. For one thing, he may be his own man. Second, it's tough to really find the guy you want in-season anyway.
Third, this mess is on Williams too. May be too soon to find a permanent manager.

And you could name Cora interim for the season, mitigates the risk .. and if he performs you name him full-time.

voodoochile
04-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Lately, I've been so swamped with work that I haven't had time to do much but glance at box scores. But I must say, brother, with all due and considerable respect, that if the team has even lost you then they must be playing like crap. So thanks at least for being my barometer!

Just to be clear, they'll never "lose me" and I won't give up hope this early in the season ever, but man this is frustrating to watch.

SoxSpeed22
04-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Pitching coaches generally don't do well as managers (Bud Black being an exception). I think it's too early to fire Ozzie now. I don't see him leaving, unless Florida makes an offer for him.
If that happens, here's my choice, Dino Ebel.
http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/team/coach_staff_bio.jsp?c_id=ana&coachorstaffid=492822

Lip Man 1
04-24-2011, 10:06 PM
They have had some success with managers who have learned on the job...Lamont in 93, Manager Gandhi in 2000, Ozzie particularly in 2005 but I'd prefer to see an experienced, dignified manager with a track record of success in the job should the Sox decide a change is needed.

That wouldn't happen until the off season though.

Now there is a qualifier, if the team tanks this season I fully anticipate the Sox are going to "rebuild" next year and for the next three years (if they are lucky...) in that case they'll probably go with a 'no-name' who has some potential and is willing to put up with 90+ loss seasons and few fans in the stands.

There's always a slight chance that JR would say, 'one last go'round' and spend a decent amount to contend. If that's the case my first comment would be my preference but I'd only give that a 20% possibility of happening should ths team collapse.

Lip

Iron Dragon2
04-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Nah. Fire Ozzie now. Maybe it'll spark the team before it's too late (Yes, implied teal here too.....kind of.)

soltrain21
04-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Let's get a horse as a manager and we will set up salt licks in the dugout with pictures of each player on different salt licks. Who he licks will determine the lineup/pitching changes for the day.

Our bench coach will be a seal.

Nelfox02
04-24-2011, 10:11 PM
They had had some success with managers who have learned on the job...Lamont in 93, Manager Gandhi in 2000, Ozzie particularly in 2005 but I'd prefer to see an experienced, dignified manager with a track record of success in the job should the Sox decide a change is needed.

That wouldn't happen until the off season though.

Now there is a qualifier, if the team tanks this season I fully anticipate the Sox are going to "rebuild" next year and for the next three years (if they are lucky...) in that case they'll probably go with a 'no-name' who has some potential and is willing to put up with 90+ loss seasons and few fans in the stands.

There's always a slight chance that JR would say, 'one last go'round' and spend a decent amount to contend. If that's the case my first comment would be my preference but I'd only give that a 20% possibility of happening should ths team collapse.

Lip

while the idea of sucking wind thru a rebuild stinks (and considering the young players we have and my belief of our inability to move any our current players for any decent return it would be woeful) I could at least get behind it if it meant this team could get back to actually being a quality baseball product someday........but whacking Ozzie then is one thing, does anyone really want Kenny in charge of this rebuild?

I for one, do not.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2011, 10:16 PM
At least Matt Thornton (the guy who helped begin this collapse) gets it:

ďI donít believe in saying itís early in the season.Ē

AND he also didn't "tip his cap" to an opponent! :D:

Lip

SoxSpeed22
04-24-2011, 10:19 PM
while the idea of sucking wind thru a rebuild stinks (and considering the young players we have and my belief of our inability to move any our current players for any decent return it would be woeful) I could at least get behind it if it meant this team could get back to actually being a quality baseball product someday........but whacking Ozzie then is one thing, does anyone really want Kenny in charge of this rebuild?

I for one, do not.Same here. I don't think anyone in charge now has the patience for it. Some of the buy-low moves that he's made have worked out well, but I think he will end up taking a big risk that could stall the process. I think if Reinsy promotes him to Executive Vice President (Pizer to Vice Chairman one Einhorn retires), he will do a good job in that spot.

palehozenychicty
04-24-2011, 10:30 PM
I know the game is different, but the defending champs have shown how to fight despite the injuries, malaise, etc.

Our Sox need to look in the mirror.
:(:

Nelfox02
04-24-2011, 10:36 PM
I know the game is different, but the defending champs have shown how to fight despite the injuries, malaise, etc.

Our Sox need to look in the mirror.
:(:

agree with the jist of this post......I dont follow the Hawks really, but in addition to the Sox, I m a huge Bulls fan. Again, as you said, a much different game, but while watching the Bulls game Saturday with some family I made the point at the half that it is rare that the Bulls just lay down and die.....they almost always seem to get back in a game at some point....there just isnt any quit. they came up short on Sat...but they did indeed get it to the point where they had a chance to tie it on the last shot....

that got me thinking about the Sox (who, as the Bulls were rallying with everything they had, were letting D-Town put a 5 spot on them).....a team that at least to the outside observing fan seems to quit all the time. I would never turn a Bulls game off, even if they were down 16 with 4 minutes to play....the Sox? if they are down 2 in the fifth I would consider my options of other things to do or watch........and that sucks

A. Cavatica
04-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Knowing JR, if he ever does replace Ozzie it will be with someone who played for the Sox in the Reinsdorf era. So I have no idea if any of these names are a fit, but I'll throw them out there anyway.

Former players with some ML managing experience: Joel Skinner, Jerry Royster, Don Wakamatsu, Bob Melvin, Joey Cora.

Former players with some minor league managing experience: Scott Fletcher, Jerry Hairston, Marc Hill, Ron Hassey, Greg Norton, Chris Singleton.

Former stars that you hope could mold a team in their image: Carlton Fisk, Robin Ventura, Tim Raines, Sandy Alomar, Jack McDowell (only pitcher on this list).

Ex-manager we should mend fences with: Jeff Torborg.

Tragg
04-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Let's get a horse as a manager and we will set up salt licks in the dugout with pictures of each player on different salt licks. Who he licks will determine the lineup/pitching changes for the day.

Our bench coach will be a seal.
Mr Ed's available. He coached Willie Davis Johnny Roseboro out of a slump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm1sa0zhjiM

soltrain21
04-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Knowing JR, if he ever does replace Ozzie it will be with someone who played for the Sox in the Reinsdorf era. So I have no idea if any of these names are a fit, but I'll throw them out there anyway.

Former players with some ML managing experience: Joel Skinner, Jerry Royster, Don Wakamatsu, Bob Melvin, Joey Cora.

Former players with some minor league managing experience: Scott Fletcher, Jerry Hairston, Marc Hill, Ron Hassey, Greg Norton, Chris Singleton.

Former stars that you hope could mold a team in their image: Carlton Fisk, Robin Ventura, Tim Raines, Sandy Alomar, Jack McDowell (only pitcher on this list).

Ask Omar Vizquel to retire and take over as manager.

DSpivack
04-24-2011, 10:57 PM

If Ozzie is fired anytime soon I expect Cora will be the replacement.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Cavatica:

As much as Jeff appreciates the thought he's retired now and is working very hard to stem the effects of an illness. (I don't think I should say any more.)

I speak with Jeff every few weeks or so and I can tell you for a guy who is the only person in history to catch a no hitter from both Koufax and Ryan, he ranks his time in Chicago, particularly 1990 as one of the highlights of his life.

Oh Jeff still holds JR and the Sox in high regard. He made the trip to Tampa last week to watch the team and stop by Ozzie's office. He was also at the first two games of the 2005 World Series, as a guest of Ozzie and the organization.

Lip

Johnny Mostil
04-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Just to be clear, they'll never "lose me" and I won't give up hope this early in the season ever, but man this is frustrating to watch.

Fair point and duly noted. Rephrasing: if the generally optimistic turn off games early, then I wonder how bad things are going . . .

doublem23
04-24-2011, 11:16 PM

Yeah people who are declaring the 2011 season "over" are being just crazy over-the-top, but it's OK, I understand the frustration. They're playing so poorly now.

On the plus side, tickets are cheap as hell. Going Friday, picked up in the 4th row of the Lower Bowl for about $20 per person. Better price than I'd have gotten with the 1/2 price code. BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

tstrike2000
04-24-2011, 11:20 PM
I really hate when people use this term to describe losing teams, especially in baseball, where "guts" are so rarely demonstrated.

Who gives a **** what word is used? Instead of nitpickng the word gutless, the team isn't showing anything, desire, intensity, emotion, and playing like garbage. That description work better for you?

Nellie_Fox
04-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Has the level of angst ever been this high?Yes. Pretty much every ****ing year.

I said it before in this thread. We are in a malaise. I see it reflected in a number of comments from posters saying they don't care to watch games anymore.What are you saying? That the posters not watching means that the players don't care? I don't see the connection.

mcsoxfan
04-25-2011, 01:24 AM
This team could go 8-154 and no one would get fired.

The person that needs to be fired is the chairman because all he'll do is hire more of the same. They need to go outside the organization - something he'll never do because he can't stand hearing the truth. For as much as Reinsdorf mad-mouthed Larry Himes, his eye for talent could not be denied. If he's not going to convince the owners it's time to sell, then he's got to put this organization in the hands of someone who comes with a clean slate and a fresh perspective.

The Sox slogan of "All In" is a classic marketing blunder.
I don't know about anyone else who frequents this site, but my minimal expectation for an ownership in no worse than the third largest baseball market in the country is to be "all in" every year.

Imagine how a slogan like that would play in New York or Boston....their reaction would be the same as mine.....and?

The Sox payroll next year will be 39 cents.

mcsoxfan
04-25-2011, 01:31 AM

A two-game winning streak?
See ya next year.

mcsoxfan
04-25-2011, 01:34 AM

"Corpse-ball" (aka Walker-ball) is alive and well it seems. At least these guys are getting in their "cap-tipping" work!

Lip

The fallacy is the 125 million was spent on talented baseball players.
It wasn't.

mcsoxfan
04-25-2011, 01:39 AM
I bet this team makes the playoffs if Ozzie is canned by the 7th of May. 2 more weeks for him to right the ship.

What quality manager would want to be bothered with this organization?
I wasn't all that excited about the possibility of La Russa coming back here but I could never see him answering to Williams - not in a million years.

mcsoxfan
04-25-2011, 01:55 AM

Absolutely, positively not.

Forcing Guillen down Kenny's throat in the first place was the biggest mistake Reinsdorf's made since siding with Jerry Krause over Hall of Famers Jordan and Jackson. That of course was one for the ages because it set the Bulls back for more than a decade and alienated would-be free agents from signing here. The Sox would cease to exist under similar circumstances. Frankly, I wish Reinsdorf would have moved the team to Florida. We would have eventually had another AL team here. Imagine him down there trying to compete in that market. Tampa Bay has had superior baseball teams and still can't draw.

mbwhitesox
04-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Out of morbid curiosity I checked the standings tonight. Not only are the Sox dead last in their division, they also have the second worst record in baseball at 8-14, only slightly ahead of the Mariners who are 8-15.

The obvious upside is, it can only get better from here, right? Right??

mcsoxfan
04-25-2011, 02:15 AM
Same here. I don't think anyone in charge now has the patience for it. Some of the buy-low moves that he's made have worked out well, but I think he will end up taking a big risk that could stall the process. I think if Reinsy promotes him to Executive Vice President (Pizer to Vice Chairman one Einhorn retires), he will do a good job in that spot.

Doing what exactly?

kufram
04-25-2011, 02:58 AM
The only good news is that is that it is virtually impossible to keep playing this badly for much longer. The hitting, in particular, HAS to improve. The law of averages just won't sustain this super low production.

Also, we don't need to go 25-5 to get back in it... well, not yet. A good winning streak will do it right now.

The bad news is the players collective demeanor. There is no energy anywhere on the field. I don't know what can affect an entire team like this. Last year I thought it could be the cameras in the clubhouse. That was a common denominator.

Of course it is too early to give up on this year, but I would like to see one player at least look like he won't accept this any more. It doesn't look like any of them want to be here. I don't think losing a few games can cause that... it might be the result of something but not the cause. Of course I'm speculating.

BainesHOF
04-25-2011, 03:09 AM

Bingo.

Red Barchetta
04-25-2011, 08:25 AM
It seems like only yesterday when the Tampa Bay announcers were in aww of the SOX line-up during the first series in Chicago when the SOX should have swept the Rays. They were playing without Dunn and the announcers were making claims that the SOX had one of the best offenses ever assembled and were certainly atop the American League.

What happened?! :scratch:

As a "fan", I know we often look at the SOX with rose-colored glasses, however how can non fans and other baseball professionals also be fooled.

If this team is talented and are not playing up to their potential, the finger definitely has to be pointed to the manager/staff. They aren't going to fire all the players so it's pretty obvious what needs to happen if this continues.

Hitmen77
04-25-2011, 09:50 AM

This is what makes me so angry. It's not like this is the first time the Sox have fallen flat on their face and looked dead and dug themselves into a hole to start the season. Like you said, 3 years in a row and lots of games in there were we got owned by a nobody pitcher.

I also find it amazing that a team with this much talent has looked this bad and lifeless.....but sadly it's not really "shocking" that they're repeating the same pattern from past years all over again. Does this mean we are going to see signs of life in June only to have them fall flat on their face and fall out of contention again in July or August?

That cap tipping is becoming quite a White Sox tradition.:mad:

Red:

Lip

Yes, but at least Ozzie saved Buehrle's arm by taking out for the 9th inning.

soxfanatlanta
04-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Does this mean we are going to see signs of life in June only to have them fall flat on their face and fall out of contention again in July or August?

Well, we do get the Nationals, and the D-Backs this year :smile:

LongLiveFisk
04-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Well, we do get the Nationals, and the D-Backs this year :smile:

And at the moment their fans are probably saying "well, we do get the White Sox this year". :o:

ChiSoxGal85
04-25-2011, 10:07 AM
And at the moment their fans are probably saying "well, we do get the White Sox this year". :o:
:rolling: Spot on!

Quentin08
04-25-2011, 10:11 AM
It's been a miserable April.. but I'm keeping hope alive. It could be a lot worse. The Sox are only 4 games behind Detroit (5.5 games behind Cleveland but they'll drop out of the race before it's all said and done) with about 160 games left in the season. The Sox will eventually go on a winning streak, hopefully sooner than later, and knowing how depressing that malaise was, they'll do everything they can to keep winning.

doublem23
04-25-2011, 10:12 AM
It's been a miserable April.. but I'm keeping hope alive. It could be a lot worse. The Sox are only 4 games behind Detroit (5.5 games behind Cleveland but they'll drop out of the race before it's all said and done) with about 160 games left in the season. The Sox will eventually go on a winning streak, hopefully sooner than later, and knowing how depressing that malaise was, they'll do everything they can to keep winning.

Might want to double check that math for me, partner

kittle42
04-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Who gives a **** what word is used? Instead of nitpickng the word gutless, the team isn't showing anything, desire, intensity, emotion, and playing like garbage. That description work better for you?

It always reminds me of "Chicago Tough," which is a ridiculous concept.

soxfanatlanta
04-25-2011, 10:20 AM

Bam!

We should take this act on the road :wink:

#1swisher
04-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Somehow the Sox are able to tip their caps while their heads are up their butts.

Finally, something they excel at. :o:

ShooterMcGavin
04-25-2011, 11:58 AM
I've always leaned pessimistic when it concerns the Sox, but I can't help but feel optimistic since they're only 6 under .500. I definitely think the Sox will be back at .500 soon and I'll re-evaluate the team from that point.

That said, I understand .500 baseball isn't the goal, but I am expecting the Sox to be there soon, and hopefully make their push from there.

Guillen must go. Cora is not the answer though, even on an interim basis, since the Sox are in a win-now approach. Now is not the time to evaluate a new manager to see if he is a good fit for the team.

Jim Shorts
04-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I miss baseball.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Based on some of the comments from fans the past week (certainly with justification...) I'm reminded of this comment from Brooks Boyer in his interview with WSI:

ďAbout the only think that I wish I could change long-term (about the fan base) is that sometimes the passion from our fans can be a weakness. What I mean is that a lot of Sox fans are so passionate, so into the team that if things arenít going well, they get mad, they get fed upÖ they say, ĎIím not going to watch these guys, Iím not going to listen to them and Iím not going to show up at the game.í"

Brooks my friend, if this doesn't turn around soon..."you ain't seen nothing yet."

Lip

QueerGirrl
04-25-2011, 02:00 PM
I miss baseball.

Me too Jim. I watched the first 6 innings of the Reds/Cards game last night just because it was nice to watch baseball without wanting to cry! I think I will be doing a lot more of that this summer, just watching teams that I don't have an investment in just to enjoy the sport itself. I love the Sox first and baseball itself second, so my feelings are really hurt right now.

I need a hug! :grouphug:

Based on some of the comments from fans the past week (certainly with justification...) I'm reminded of this comment from Brooks Boyer in his interview with WSI:

“About the only think that I wish I could change long-term (about the fan base) is that sometimes the passion from our fans can be a weakness. What I mean is that a lot of Sox fans are so passionate, so into the team that if things aren’t going well, they get mad, they get fed up… they say, ‘I’m not going to watch these guys, I’m not going to listen to them and I’m not going to show up at the game.’"

Normally I'm not the type of person who does this but **** you Brooks! There's nothing wrong with us! We've simply have had enough of the same crap year after year! Our passion as a weakness?!?! Well at least we give a ****! So frustrating!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-25-2011, 02:24 PM

ďAbout the only think that I wish I could change long-term (about the fan base) is that sometimes the passion from our fans can be a weakness. What I mean is that a lot of Sox fans are so passionate, so into the team that if things arenít going well, they get mad, they get fed upÖ they say, ĎIím not going to watch these guys, Iím not going to listen to them and Iím not going to show up at the game.í"

Brooks my friend, if this doesn't turn around soon..."you ain't seen nothing yet."

Lip

Yeah, we fans love having smoke blown up our collective asses, Brooks. Thanks for insulting us for caring about your product.

It would be different if it looked like the team gave two ****s out on the field. If they were in every game, going balls to the wall and just getting beat, then that's a different story. But to get blown out in most of these losses in this stretch and to see the team act as if it's another day in the office...THAT'S what pisses us off.

SOMETHING clearly needs to be done, before it's too late. The games in April count as damn much as the games in September do, and no one seems to give a damn except us "passionate" fans!

Nellie_Fox
04-25-2011, 02:30 PM
It would be different if it looked like the team gave two ****s out on the field. If they were in every game, going balls to the wall and just getting beat, then that's a different story. But to get blown out in most of these losses in this stretch and to see the team act as if it's another day in the office...THAT'S what pisses us off. This genuinely puzzles me. You're not the only one to say this. What is it you want to see? AJ gets ripped for smashing his bat into the ground after popping up, so apparently that's not it. Do you want them to go into the dugout and destroy the water cooler? Do you want them calling each other out in the press?

I'm serious; I don't understand how so many people can come to the conclusion that they don't care. Baseball is truly a sport where "trying harder" is more often counterproductive.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2011, 02:32 PM
In fairness to Brooks folks, he did thank the fans in the same interview for turning out in 2007 to watch a bad baseball team.

I don't think by any means that Brooks was trying to insult the fan base... from his point of view as a marketing-guy, he wants the park filled everday, win or lose, 100 win or 100 loss season. He knows he's never going to get that with Sox fans but again as a marketing-guy he'd love to see that.

The reality though is that if this thing doesn't turn around quickly, fan attendance and radio / TV ratings are going to drop like a boulder in the ocean.

Lip

Jerko
04-25-2011, 02:35 PM
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the Sox wouldn't really mind if we stopped showing up... That seems to be all they talk about......in April.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Nellie:

I can only speak for myself but yes I want to see somebody calling out teammates if they know they aren't trying, I want to see every ground ball run out, every pop up run out, I want to see to see a water cooler hammered, I also wouldn't mind seeing a fight (aka April 2000) if that's what it takes to wake up this club.

Again just myself, I'm also tired of reading comments from players about "tipping your cap," and "it's early."

I'd respect these guys more even in this seemingly disinterested stretch if somebody just came right out and told the media the truth, "we suck.." in no uncertain terms. I'd give the guy credit for being honest.

And I think a lot of fans are reacting to dugout shots that appear to show the team collectively as just sitting these like bumps on a log, no emotion, nothing...like zombies.

Which opens up still another issue that has come up from fans (including myself) where's the veteran leadership? The Sox slogan is "pride, passion, tradition..." Well where exactly IS the passion from these teams the past few years? Remember they had a losing year in 2007, 2009 and so far 2011 has been a disaster hasn't it?

Lip

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-25-2011, 02:40 PM
This genuinely puzzles me. You're not the only one to say this. What is it you want to see? AJ gets ripped for smashing his bat into the ground after popping up, so apparently that's not it. Do you want them to go into the dugout and destroy the water cooler? Do you want them calling each other out in the press?

I'm serious; I don't understand how so many people can come to the conclusion that they don't care. Baseball is truly a sport where "trying harder" is more often counterproductive.

I just want acknowledgment that this team is not what they thought it was, and that players need to start getting their act together or else.

And I want stupid **** like Alex Rios lollygagging to balls in the gap and the five-run homer swings late in games to stop. If they're playing such bad fundamental baseball (which, save 2005, has been a constant on Ozzie-managed teams) maybe they need to get a manager that will teach them...and if that means taking a wash on this year, then so be it...but if that happens, they'll just as quickly try to fire-sale everyone.

What a fine mess this organization is.

doublem23
04-25-2011, 02:52 PM
What a fine mess this organization is.

Oh god, for ****'s sake, they're just on a losing streak, which sucks in the present tense but usually has little ramifications on the big picture. There were people who quit on the Sox in September 2005 and all over the place in 2008.

The Royals and the Pirates, those are messed up organizations. The Sox are struggling, but the thought that there's absolutely zero chance they have any shot at climbing back into things is a bit dramatic. Be careful what you say, else you look foolish down the line.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Oh god, for ****'s sake, they're just on a losing streak, which sucks in the present tense but usually has little ramifications on the big picture. There were people who quit on the Sox in September 2005 and all over the place in 2008.

The Royals and the Pirates, those are messed up organizations. The Sox are struggling, but the thought that there's absolutely zero chance they have any shot at climbing back into things is a bit dramatic. Be careful what you say, else you look foolish down the line.

The TEAM may be on a losing streak, but looking into the organization itself, you have a GM and a manager who dislike each other and are only working together because JR begged them to, and we have NO farm system whatsoever. If it's not a mess, it's at least majorly dysfunctional.

Hence, why I said "organization" as opposed to "team".

thomas35forever
04-25-2011, 03:00 PM
The Royals and the Pirates, those are messed up organizations.
Don't forget about the Mets, Dodgers, A's and Rays. Their problems go far deeper.

doublem23
04-25-2011, 03:36 PM
The TEAM may be on a losing streak, but looking into the organization itself, you have a GM and a manager who dislike each other and are only working together because JR begged them to, and we have NO farm system whatsoever. If it's not a mess, it's at least majorly dysfunctional.

Hence, why I said "organization" as opposed to "team".

Not really, when all is said and done our problems are superficial, there's plenty of fans of other teams who would trade places with us in an instant.