PDA

View Full Version : If you were manager, what would your starting lineup be?

cards press box
04-24-2011, 10:55 AM
As everyone can see, the Sox offense has stalled lately. I would like to see the Sox try this lineup:

Pierre LF
Morel 3B
Quentin RF
Dunn DH
Konerko 1B
Rios CF
Pierzynski C
Beckham 2B
Ramirez SS

It is true that Pierre does not get on base as much as a top lead off man should but, let's face it, the other lead off options (i.e., Ramirez, Beckham) don't have great on base percentages, either. Morel has a great ability to shoot the ball to the right side of the infield and is probably the best #2 hitter the Sox have.

What lineup would you use?

DickAllen72
04-24-2011, 11:23 AM
With the current 25 man roster:

Rios
Morel
Quentin
Konerko
Dunn
Ramirez
Beckham
Pierzynski
Pierre

If I had my druthers, Viciedo and De Aza would replace Teahan and Pierre on the roster:

Rios
Morel
Quentin
Konerko
Dunn
Ramirez
Viciedo
Pierzynski
Beckham

I do like the idea of Morel hitting second, seeing that he seems comfortable slapping the ball to RF.

delben91
04-24-2011, 11:45 AM
No one other than Quentin is hitting right now, so in my mind it doesn't really matter what order they're in.

If a couple guys start hitting, then that's when it'd start making a difference...

Lamp81
04-24-2011, 07:52 PM
I also like Morel in the #2 spot. I think he can handle the bunting and situational hitting that the slot needs.

Pierre 7
Morel 5
Quentin 9
Konerko 3
Dunn DH
Ramirez 6
Pierzynski 2
Rios 8
Beckham 4

konerko 14
04-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Pierre LF
ramirez SS
quentin RF
konerko 1B
dunn DH
pierzynski C
rios CF
morel 3B
beckham 2B

PalehosePlanet
04-24-2011, 08:18 PM
1- Alexei
2- Pierre
3- Quentin
4- Konerko
5- Dunn
6- Rios
7- AJ
8- Beckham
9- Morel

When Alex starts hitting I'd swap him w/Carlos, because I prefer a faster more athletic hitter in the 3 hole.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-24-2011, 08:22 PM
The first thing I would do is acknowledge the fact that hitters at the top of the order are going to see the most at bats and should therefore be selected from amongst the best hitters regardless of how many bases they might steal. This would result in two things:

1) Pierre will not leadoff
2) The number two hitter will not be a slap hitter expected to bunt and hit behind runners ala Omar Vizquel

Therefore:

Rios
Ramirez
Quentin
Konerko
Dunn
Beckham
AJ
Morel
Pierre

Procol Harum
04-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Raines, LF
Fox, 2B
Appling, SS
Thomas, DH
Konerko, 1B
Baines, RF
Ventura, 3B
Fisk, C
Johnson, CF

At least this crowd might be able to push 5-6 runs across the plate in a weekend series at Detroit...

MrT27
04-25-2011, 10:45 AM
My "traditional" lineup
1. Pierre
2. Ramirez
3. Konerko
4. Quentin
5. Rios
6. Dunn
7. AJ
8. Beckham
9. Morel

I agree with BringHomeDaBacon where the top hitters should get the most at bats regardless of speed. I probably wouldn't do this if I was manager because of all the scrutiny I'd get but if I had total control...

1. Konerko
2. Rios
3. Quentin
4. Dunn
5. Ramirez
6. Beckham
7. Pierre
8. AJ
9. Morel

Dirty30
04-25-2011, 11:03 AM
First off, let me say that I think we need to stick with a lineup for 10 or so games. I understand Ozzie is trying to find what works, but why not just let a set lineup for 10 games just to get comfortable?

With Viciedo

SS- Ramirez
C- Pierzynski
RF- Quentin
1B- Konerko
DH- Dunn
LF- Viciedo
2B- Beckham
CF- Rios
3B- Morel

With Current Roster

SS- Ramirez
C- Pierzynski
RF- Quentin
1B- Konerko
DH- Dunn
2B- Beckham
LF- Teahen
CF- Rios
3B- Morel

A few notes:

-AJ hitting 2nd. Why? Because it jump started the offense a few years ago, at least it felt that way, why not try it again? It couldn't be worse.

-Teahen in LF. Defensively, could he be any worse then Pierre? On offense, he is better then Juan.

-I would rather have Dayan in LF, but we all know this won't happen for two reasons. 1) Ozzie won't bench Juan. 2) Ozzie wouldn't have that many righties in a row.

Jerko
04-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Right now I don't think it matters which order these guys bat in, but I do agree with sticking the "starters" in there and leaving them alone for a few series. Maybe they'll hit better without having to worry about being moved down in the order or flat out benched if they have a bad stretch. I know these are pros and that shouldn't matter, but what has been going on for the past few years isn't working either.

russ99
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
It makes no sense to put Morel in the #2 spot, as if Beckham can't handle the professional hitting required from the spot, why would we assume an even younger player can?

When everyone is hitting again:

1. Pierre (until Mitchell is ready, he's the only leadoff guy we have)
2. Rios (there would be less pressure here than in his current role as a run-producer)
3. Dunn (worked pretty well here until his surgery)
4. Konerko (sees better pitches with Quentin behind him)
5. Quentin
6. A.J.
7. Beckham
8. Morel
9. Ramirez (I love his bat at the bottom of the order)

soltrain21
04-25-2011, 12:00 PM
It makes no sense to put Morel in the #2 spot, as if Beckham can't handle the professional hitting required from the spot, why would we assume an even younger player can?

When everyone is hitting again:

1. Pierre
2. Rios
3. Dunn
4. Konerko
5. Quentin
6. A.J.
7. Beckham
8. Morel
9. Ramirez

Age doesn't really have anything to do with it. Skill, sure. But to not bat someone in the order at a certain spot because of age isn't a good idea. Mr. Castro from across the way seems to be doing quite okay despite his age.

russ99
04-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Age doesn't really have anything to do with it. Skill, sure. But to not bat someone in the order at a certain spot because of age isn't a good idea. Mr. Castro from across the way seems to be doing quite okay despite his age.

Not really age, more like experience.

Even Tadahito Iguchi struggled with the role at first.

Lamp81
04-25-2011, 12:17 PM

Maybe Morel is a better baseball player than Beckham. This is Beckham's 3rd year. If he was going to break out as a big star, we would have seen it by now. Beckham appears that he will just be another guy, nothing special. In time, we will look back at him like we look back at Scott Fletcher now. Major League talent, nothing special.

JC456
04-25-2011, 12:44 PM
I'd Punt!

bridgeportcopper
04-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Pierre 7
Rios 8
Quentin 9
Konerko 3
Dunn 10
Pierzynski 2
Ramirez 6