PDA

View Full Version : Games on WCIU

tick53
04-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Can someone shed some light as to why the Sox put games on this station? I can get all the Comcast games and the WGN games from my proximety from Chicago on DirectTV but not games on The U. It's a weak little pondunk station anyway and I why on Earth do the Sox continuosly use this damn thing.

I aplogize if this ground has been covered before but I missed it if it was.

DrCrawdad
04-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Can someone shed some light as to why the Sox put games on this station? I can get all the Comcast games and the WGN games from my proximety from Chicago on DirectTV but not games on The U. It's a weak little pondunk station anyway and I why on Earth do the Sox continuosly use this damn thing.

The quality of the broadcast picture for the games on "The U" are terrible. The picture is so dark every game looks like they need to turn the lights on.

I think "The U" uses cell phones for their television cameras.

Gavin
04-24-2011, 10:11 AM

As someone without cable, I'm glad they show games on the U. You can get it over the antenna.

ChiSoxGirl
04-24-2011, 11:20 AM
As someone without cable, I'm glad they show games on the U. You can get it over the antenna.

I'm the other person on this board without cable and am also happy they show Sox games and other sporting events on Channel 26.1.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Tick:

From my interview with Bob Grim:

ML: I know at White Sox Interactive we get comments from fans living near Chicago but still a good 75 to 100 miles away talking about how they can’t get WCIU for example, yet when they try to sign up to watch the Sox through MLB video on their computers they are told the game is “blacked out.” It doesn’t make sense to me to alienate fans who are willing to pay to see the games yet are told, “no can do.”

BG: “I know first hand that you really can’t get the WCIU signal if you live outside of Chicago and that’s an issue. Every time we show a game on WCIU, the next day I’ll get a few calls or e-mails from fans that finally got up the nerve to want to talk about it. You were in TV Mark, you know the saying that if someone finally contacts you on an issue there are ten more people who feel the same way, so yes it’s a big concern.”

“What we’ve done and are still working on this, is to try to do what we can, when we can. What I mean is that when ESPN for example, is doing a Sox game and that same night WCIU is showing the game locally, normally what happens is that ESPN is “blacked out” in all areas that are considered White Sox territory. Naturally we want our fans watching the game on our stations but realizing the limitation with WCIU we got ESPN to lift what they call the “second tier” blackout area…that’s places like South Bend, Indiana and we’re trying to get that into Rockford. We want our fans to at least see our games through someone even if it’s not our network.”

ML: Speaking of WCIU Bob, we get a lot of messages complaining about the technical issues and the overall quality of the signal when Sox games are on that station, far more it appears, then when WGN or Comcast Sports Chicago is doing the game. What is the problem with WCIU?

BG: “At this point in time WCIU ownership can’t make the upgrades needed to bring their signal more into line with WGN and Comcast. We’ve discussed that with them. That’s why for example, the MLB Extra Innings package can’t show Sox games with our announcers, when the game is on WCIU. The satellite that WCIU uses, simply isn’t strong enough for the satellite that DirecTV uses for the Extra Innings package to pick it up.”

ML: Is there any chance of the Sox pulling the games off WCIU in the future and moving them somewhere else?

BG: “Mark that’s part of the issue, there are no other options. When we put this together a few years ago, WGN went to every other TV station in the market and asked if they would be interested in being a part of it and the only one who said yes was WCIU.”

“And that doesn’t mean that the other stations don’t like the Sox, it’s a matter of business. A network station for example, gets their programming free from ABC, NBC, CBS, or Fox. They sell the advertising and get the profit. To carry the Sox they’d have to bump that programming and to be a part of the Sox Network they have to pay us a fee, so it’s just not practical for them.”

ML: Well that’s been an issue since the Sox originally left WGN before the start of the 1968 season. The Chicago market, unlike New York or Los Angeles for example, just doesn’t have and never had, the number of independent stations that had the flexibility to do something like show a lot of ballgames in prime time. I mean WLS for example isn’t going to take off their prime time fall shows in September to show White Sox games.

BG: “That’s exactly correct. What we hope happens, we’re watching it, is the situation at WGN after the Tribune Company sells them. It’s possible the CW Network just goes away or new ownership wants to go back to the way things used to be at that station, namely showing a lot of games from all sports. We’ve talked to WGN about picking up more Sox games and on nights other than Saturday, but they only have a certain number of times they can bump the CW Network throughout the year so right now they just don’t have the ability to take on more games.

Lip

cnw8052
04-24-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm one of those considered in the Chicago market, but not close enough to Chicago to get WCIU. Therefore I'm in the blackout zone here. I wish Comcast cable would carry WCIU. I despise that channel :angry:

Fenway
04-24-2011, 11:48 AM
WCIU is one of the few TV stations in the US that makes full use of the ability to show many programs on separate sub-channels but that effects the overall quality of 26.1.

WCIU games are produced by WGN at Bradley Place and the finished product is then sent to WCIU via a dedicated fiber line. They use the same cameras as WGN/CSN but there is little Weigel Broadcasting can do without an expensive upgrade that they will not do as they are a cheap outfit.

Twins had the same problem with the UHF they were using and now all games have been moved to cable.

Now Comcast bigwigs in Philadelphia are looking at doing what they did in San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose - creating a second CSN to handle everything. In the Bay Area you have CSN-Bay Area and CSN-California. Chicago is rare where there is only ONE RSN in the market - New York has FOUR (YES, SNY, MSG and MSG+)

I would guess within 5 years you will see NO games on an over the air channel anywhere except when it is a network game. Local TV can not generate the revenue like a RSN can because the TV stations are not getting and revenue from the cable/dish providers.

TDog
04-24-2011, 11:54 AM
It's ironic that so many people complain about the Sox being taken off of free TV 30 years ago, and now that most people have decided to pay for TV, people complain about games the Sox have on free TV.

Where I live, I can't get WGN or WCIU or the Chicago Comcast station, so I don't stand anywhere on the WCIU issue. But one thing I find interesting is that the Bay Area has two Comcast sports stations, one that broadcasts almost all of the Giants games and another that broadcasts almost all of the A's games. A few games are on what is technically still free television. A recent White-Sox A's game was pre-empted for a regular season NBA game, which also took precedence on the radio station where I can hear A's games, but mostly each team in the two team market and northern California has its own cable station.

samurai_sox
04-24-2011, 12:21 PM

Same here.

roylestillman
04-24-2011, 12:56 PM
It is my understanding that they shift games to The U when conflicts arise on WGN (since these games are branded WGN presentations.) Why don't they just broadcast them on 9.2 or the cable equivalent.

Fenway
04-24-2011, 01:02 PM
It is my understanding that they shift games to The U when conflicts arise on WGN (since these games are branded WGN presentations.) Why don't they just broadcast them on 9.2 or the cable equivalent.

99 percent of the viewers in Chicago have no clue 9.2 even exists and being a sub channel it would make for lousy HD.

I do think we will see a second CSN channel formed like the Bay Area. That would end overflow games on CLTV..... but it would also mean less over the air games.

ChicagoG19
04-24-2011, 01:16 PM
99 percent of the viewers in Chicago have no clue 9.2 even exists and being a sub channel it would make for lousy HD.

I do think we will see a second CSN channel formed like the Bay Area. That would end overflow games on CLTV..... but it would also mean less over the air games.

I would be 100% in favor of this.

Fenway
04-24-2011, 01:57 PM
I would be 100% in favor of this.

Pretty simple to set up.... Sox and Bulls on one channel, Cubs and Hawks on the other.

soxlady8
04-24-2011, 05:03 PM
The quality of the broadcast picture for the games on "The U" are terrible. The picture is so dark every game looks like they need to turn the lights on.

I thought maybe it was just my t.v.
I guess the picture stinks on the U . glad it isn't just my t.v.

SBSoxFan
04-24-2011, 05:53 PM
I live in South Bend, and WMYS, channel 69 is a WCIU equivalent. It broadcasts Sox (and Cubs) games. Comcast also carries the station on cable. So, why does the ESPN blackout have to be lifted in South Bend? Also, my parents live in Portage, IN and have no problem receiving WCIU. So, a couple of things Bob Grim says in that interview, don't seem to match with reality.

Fenway
04-24-2011, 06:05 PM
I live in South Bend, and WMYS, channel 69 is a WCIU equivalent. It broadcasts Sox (and Cubs) games. Comcast also carries the station on cable. So, why does the ESPN blackout have to be lifted in South Bend? Also, my parents live in Portage, IN and have no problem receiving WCIU. So, a couple of things Bob Grim says in that interview, don't seem to match with reality.

I don't know how he didn't know Weigel owns that station. It is a LP xmtr but strong enough that cable has to carry it. Weigel is a master at that - see METV

MISoxfan
04-25-2011, 06:54 AM
I can get WCIU over the air in Michigan, I didn't realize it was such a problem. My complaint is with the CSN broadcasts. I technically live in Detroit territory so those games are blacked out.

ewokpelts
04-25-2011, 08:13 AM

WGN purchases air-time from WCIU to broadcast games that WGN has under thier broadcast agreement, but has some other programming that takes precedence(i.e. Cubs games, CW programs, ).

The broadcast is produced by WGN Sports, and the majority of the ads are sold via wgn's sales staff(WCIU gets some spots to promote thier own programing).

ewokpelts
04-25-2011, 08:20 AM
WCIU is one of the few TV stations in the US that makes full use of the ability to show many programs on separate sub-channels but that effects the overall quality of 26.1.

WCIU games are produced by WGN at Bradley Place and the finished product is then sent to WCIU via a dedicated fiber line. They use the same cameras as WGN/CSN but there is little Weigel Broadcasting can do without an expensive upgrade that they will not do as they are a cheap outfit.

Twins had the same problem with the UHF they were using and now all games have been moved to cable.

Now Comcast bigwigs in Philadelphia are looking at doing what they did in San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose - creating a second CSN to handle everything. In the Bay Area you have CSN-Bay Area and CSN-California. Chicago is rare where there is only ONE RSN in the market - New York has FOUR (YES, SNY, MSG and MSG+)

I would guess within 5 years you will see NO games on an over the air channel anywhere except when it is a network game. Local TV can not generate the revenue like a RSN can because the TV stations are not getting and revenue from the cable/dish providers.ny is a differeant beast fenway, as comcast(sny) only has one rsn in the market. two of those are owned by the dolans, and one by the yankees. csn-chicago is a rare co-op between the four teams on there and comcast. if csn opened a 2nd channel, they would be competing against themselves.

doublem23
04-25-2011, 08:21 AM
It's ironic that so many people complain about the Sox being taken off of free TV 30 years ago, and now that most people have decided to pay for TV, people complain about games the Sox have on free TV.

As usual, you are commenting on something you don't understand. Most of the people who complain about WCIU games are the people who are considered in the Chicago market by MLB's antiquated TV blackout rules but cannot get the channel over the air or through their cable provider. I was in the same boat in Central Illinois.

ewokpelts
04-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Pretty simple to set up.... Sox and Bulls on one channel, Cubs and Hawks on the other.especially if johnny McCub got his way

Hitmen77
04-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Is MLB's blackout policy at issue here, or is it that some people who live close enough to Chicago to get CSN Chicago (in Chicago's sports market), but not close enough to get WCIU on cable or satellite (not in Chicago's TV market)?

I used to feel the same way about WCIU broadcasts before I upgraded to HDTV. Sox broadcasts looked terrible. But on the HD channel, I really can't say that I have noticed the picture quality being any worse that it is on WGN or CSN games.

doublem23
04-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Is MLB's blackout policy at issue here, or is it that some people who live close enough to Chicago to get CSN Chicago (in Chicago's sports market), but not close enough to get WCIU on cable or satellite (not in Chicago's TV market)?

It's both. When I lived in Peoria, I got CSN on my cable, but I didn't get WCIU, nor was I able to get the channel over the air, but since almost all of Illinois is in the White Sox blackout area for MLB.tv, that didn't help either. All I could do for those games was listen on the radio and follow along with Gamecast.

I don't have a problem with them blacking out games that I could get on cable or over the air. I understand the TV revenue is a major source of income for pro sports teams and they'd want to protect that as much as possible. It just sucks that there were games I had no opportunity to watch. And it seems like the games on WCIU have been increasing lately.

Thankfully I moved home and I don't have this problem any more.

Fenway
04-25-2011, 12:49 PM

I used to feel the same way about WCIU broadcasts before I upgraded to HDTV. Sox broadcasts looked terrible. But on the HD channel, I really can't say that I have noticed the picture quality being any worse that it is on WGN or CSN games.

The quality of the pictures leaving the park are the same.....now what WCIU does with it is another matter.

TDog
04-25-2011, 01:05 PM
As usual, you are commenting on something you don't understand. Most of the people who complain about WCIU games are the people who are considered in the Chicago market by MLB's antiquated TV blackout rules but cannot get the channel over the air or through their cable provider. I was in the same boat in Central Illinois.

When I was growing up in Northwest Indiana, we got WCIU and WGN via antenna. I am guessing people can still pick up WCIU with an antenna in Northwest Indiana.

The irony is that people are now are paying to see their televised baseball after people complained 30 years ago that the games were being taken off of free TV. I don't have an opportunity to see many Sox games on TV, and I'm probably insensitive to people who pay to see games and have them blacked out. (I wouldn't buy a product where blackouts would apply.) I apologize for any such insensitivity.

One more point. I really don't mind if you complain that I don't know what I'm talking about when I write in 2009 and 2010 that Gordon Beckham isn't a No. 2 hitter. Complain that I'm full of something that triggers the language filter, as some did, when I write in February and March that Adam Dunn won't hit in April and isn't a No. 3 hitter.

But don't tell me I don't understand my irony.

Hitmen77
04-25-2011, 01:12 PM

I would guess within 5 years you will see NO games on an over the air channel anywhere except when it is a network game. Local TV can not generate the revenue like a RSN can because the TV stations are not getting and revenue from the cable/dish providers.

Pretty simple to set up.... Sox and Bulls on one channel, Cubs and Hawks on the other.

Comcast already offers games on "CSN Plus" when there is a scheduling conflict between two teams. Comcast has a separate channel dedicated to CSN+ HD and I believe so does Directv. So, why would they need a 2nd full-fledged separate network that officially divides up the co-owners of the station?

As far as games being gone from free TV in 5 years, I think that really depends on what the Cubs do. If the Cubs keep games on WGN, are the Sox going to leave free TV altogether? I know this isn't 1982 anymore, but apparently there still is a concern by Sox management about eliminating free TV games altogether. Otherwise they wouldn't be bothering with WCIU right now. It's hard to compare with what most other teams (like the Twins) are doing because they're the only team in town. It looks like the move away from free TV is happening in other 2 team markets, but perhaps those markets don't have a history of on station (WGN) helping one team dominate and build a national following.

doublem23
04-25-2011, 01:16 PM
But don't tell me I don't understand my irony.

There's still no irony, people aren't complaining that the games are on free TV, people complain because the games are on a channel they don't get and are in the Sox MLB.tv blackout zone.

Seriously. This is not a complicated topic.

Fenway
04-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Comcast already offers games on "CSN Plus" when there is a scheduling conflict between two teams. Comcast has a separate channel dedicated to CSN+ HD and I believe so does Directv. So, why would they need a 2nd full-fledged separate network that officially divides up the co-owners of the station?

As far as games being gone from free TV in 5 years, I think that really depends on what the Cubs do. If the Cubs keep games on WGN, are the Sox going to leave free TV altogether? I know this isn't 1982 anymore, but apparently there still is a concern by Sox management about eliminating free TV games altogether. Otherwise they wouldn't be bothering with WCIU right now. It's hard to compare with what most other teams (like the Twins) are doing because they're the only team in town. It looks like the move away from free TV is happening in other 2 team markets, but perhaps those markets don't have a history of on station (WGN) helping one team dominate and build a national following.

They are already paying for those channel placements - ownership would not change....

Hitmen77
04-25-2011, 01:27 PM
They are already paying for those channel placements - ownership would not change....

But, I don't know.....maybe it's just years of seeing the Sox often getting pushed to 2nd banana status and then ignored....I think this idea gives me some concern because I can see the "Cubs" CSN becoming their flagship and the "Sox" CSN becoming the "spillover" or "plus" channel. Maybe that's not how it would work, but I'm just saying that's my first reaction to the idea of putting the Cubs and Sox on separate channels.

By the way, regarding the games on WCIU: It's only 24 Sox games this year out of 162. So, it's not a lot of games. I think there are about 30 Sox games on WGN, some "network" games on Fox and the rest on CSN.

http://www.wgntv.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/schedule/

Fenway
04-25-2011, 01:33 PM
To the Bay Area WSI folks - how does it work out there?

The A's are on one channel, the Giants the other.

Radio has always beeen the A's headache as while the Giants are on blowtorch KNBR - the A's bounce around the dial.

But, I don't know.....maybe it's just years of seeing the Sox often getting pushed to 2nd banana status and then ignored....I think this idea gives me some concern because I can see the "Cubs" CSN becoming their flagship and the "Sox" CSN becoming the "spillover" or "plus" channel. Maybe that's not how it would work, but I'm just saying that's my first reaction to the idea of putting the Cubs and Sox on separate channels.

By the way, regarding the games on WCIU: It's only 24 Sox games this year out of 162. So, it's not a lot of games. I think there are about 30 Sox games on WGN, some "network" games on Fox and the rest on CSN.

http://www.wgntv.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/schedule/

Lamp81
04-25-2011, 09:26 PM
As long as Reinsdorf owns the Bulls and a chunk of CSN, I think the Sox will get treated fairly. I don't see them getting bumped for the Cubs, unless it's later in the season and the Cubs are in a playoff race and the Sox are out of it. When the reverse is true, I hope the Cubs would get pushed by CSN.

Anyone else get the Sox on ESPN tonight w/o blackout in Chicago area? I had the TV on ESPN when the game came on and was expecting the blackout screen. It never came on, and I wasn't going to switch to WCIU while Humber had a no-hitter going. I did watch the last 2 innings on WCIU.

SephClone89
04-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Anyone else get the Sox on ESPN tonight w/o blackout in Chicago area? I had the TV on ESPN when the game came on and was expecting the blackout screen. It never came on, and I wasn't going to switch to WCIU while Humber had a no-hitter going. I did watch the last 2 innings on WCIU.

Monday Night Baseball never has local blackouts.

Gavin
04-25-2011, 09:32 PM
As long as Reinsdorf owns the Bulls and a chunk of CSN, I think the Sox will get treated fairly. I don't see them getting bumped for the Cubs, unless it's later in the season and the Cubs are in a playoff race and the Sox are out of it. When the reverse is true, I hope the Cubs would get pushed by CSN.

I had the Sox on ESPN3, but I don't have cable. I didn't even check WCIU.

SBSoxFan
04-25-2011, 09:35 PM
WGN purchases air-time from WCIU to broadcast games that WGN has under thier broadcast agreement, but has some other programming that takes precedence(i.e. Cubs games, CW programs, ).

The broadcast is produced by WGN Sports, and the majority of the ads are sold via wgn's sales staff(WCIU gets some spots to promote thier own programing).

Aren't the Cubs shown on WCIU as well? I know they were last season. So, how could their games take precedence over the Sox on WGN? Tonight was a perfect example. I don't know what was on WGN, but the Cubs, I think, were on CSN. So, unless the Bulls were on WGN, why not show the Sox on WGN.

I'm thankful the Sox were on WCIU so I could watch it. Of course, had they lost, I would have been upset that the game was on WCIU because I wouldn't have wasted my time watching the game. :tongue:

FielderJones
04-25-2011, 09:55 PM

I'm the other person on this board without cable and am also happy they show Sox games and other sporting events on Channel 26.1.

Same here.

+1

I don't really get the poor quality. 26.1 (27.3) looks like any other 720p station on my 9-year-old HDTV and 6-year-old OTA HD-DVR. The picture quality is fine by me. :shrug:

SBSoxFan
04-25-2011, 09:59 PM
+1

I don't really get the poor quality. 26.1 (27.3) looks like any other 720p station on my 9-year-old HDTV and 6-year-old OTA HD-DVR. The picture quality is fine by me. :shrug:

In South Bend, the WCIU (WMYS) broadcasts over 69.1, but it's standard definition. The quality is really poor. However, I'm not sure it's any worse than, say, PBS in SD.

MARTINMVP
04-25-2011, 10:19 PM
In the Bay Area you have CSN-Bay Area and CSN-California. Chicago is rare where there is only ONE RSN in the market - New York has FOUR (YES, SNY, MSG and MSG+)

While I don't know that you are correct Fenway, there was one point when Chicago did have both Comcast SportsNet, and Fox Sports Net.

Granted, Comcast took all Bulls, Sox, Cubs and Blackhawks broadcasts from Fox Sports, making that channel irrelevant. I'd guess that about a year after Comcast Sports showed up, Fox Sports Chicago went dead.

My Fox/Comcast example may be apples and oranges if a second regional sports network shared ownership with those teams (Fox Sports was not owned by any of the local teams).

MARTINMVP
04-25-2011, 10:28 PM
So, unless the Bulls were on WGN, why not show the Sox on WGN.

WGN-TV Ch. 9 is an affiliate of the CW Network (much like how WLS-TV Ch. 7 is an affiliate of ABC, or WFLD-TV Ch. 32 being an affiliate of Fox). As a CW affiliate, Ch. 9 has to meet certain CW obligations, meaning they are restricted to how many CW primetime blocks they can preempt in favor of sports.

ewokpelts
04-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Aren't the Cubs shown on WCIU as well? I know they were last season. So, how could their games take precedence over the Sox on WGN? Tonight was a perfect example. I don't know what was on WGN, but the Cubs, I think, were on CSN. So, unless the Bulls were on WGN, why not show the Sox on WGN.

I'm thankful the Sox were on WCIU so I could watch it. Of course, had they lost, I would have been upset that the game was on WCIU because I wouldn't have wasted my time watching the game. :tongue:wgn is a partner of the CW. very likely the conflict was there. also, espn was carrying the game. wgn, being a superstation, cant show the game concurrently

doublem23
04-26-2011, 10:56 AM
wgn is a partner of the CW. very likely the conflict was there. also, espn was carrying the game. wgn, being a superstation, cant show the game concurrently

Not all games on WGN are on the Superstation, as well.

ewokpelts
04-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Not all games on WGN are on the Superstation, as well.not true.

ChiSoxGirl
04-26-2011, 11:15 AM
+1

I've got a 40" Sony 1080p HDTV and the picture quality is outstanding on all HD channels. My dad stopped over during the game last night and he commented on how beautiful the picture was.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2011, 11:33 AM
All Sox and Cub games that are on WGN are also on WGN America (aka the Superstation).

Bulls are not always on both.

Hawks are only shown locally because the NHL did not want to devalue their "Center Ice" package.

Lip

Hitmen77
04-26-2011, 11:40 AM

I'm thankful the Sox were on WCIU so I could watch it. Of course, had they lost, I would have been upset that the game was on WCIU because I wouldn't have wasted my time watching the game. :tongue:

It looks like the Cubs have 8 games on WCIU this year and maybe about 70 games (I didn't count) on WGN. The Sox have 24 on WCIU and about 30 on WGN.
http://corporate.tribune.com/pressroom/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Cubs_2011_WGN-WCIU.pdf

I think part of the issue, as others have said, is that WGN is limited in their ability to bump CW programming.

But as far as the games that games they are able to air, it looks like WGN gives priority to the Cubs over the White Sox. They have plenty of Cubs games on WGN. Some of these WGN broadcasts are thanks to afternoon Wrigley games that don't preempt network programming. They can also accommodate some west coast games that start at 9pm after the CW programs are done. But this week, for example, WGN is airing prime time Cubs games on Tuesday and Thursday.

So in that respect, the answer to your question is yes, Cubs games take precedence over Sox games on WGN. I'm not saying that as a gripe. Seeing as the Cubs get higher ratings, I'm not blaming WGN for going with the Cubs more often. Plus, the Trib still owns a part of the Cubs.

tick53
04-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks everyone for all the incite and opinions!!! I appreciate your responses :smile:

Fenway
04-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Simple reason

http://www.hollywoodchicago.com/sites/default/files/images/wgnradio.jpg

But as far as the games that games they are able to air, it looks like WGN gives priority to the Cubs over the White Sox. They have plenty of Cubs games on WGN. Some of these WGN broadcasts are thanks to afternoon Wrigley games that don't preempt network programming. They can also accommodate some west coast games that start at 9pm after the CW programs are done. But this week, for example, WGN is airing prime time Cubs games on Tuesday and Thursday.

So in that respect, the answer to your question is yes, Cubs games take precedence over Sox games on WGN. I'm not saying that as a gripe. Seeing as the Cubs get higher ratings, I'm not blaming WGN for going with the Cubs more often. Plus, the Trib still owns a part of the Cubs.

ThomeInPeoria
05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
It's both. When I lived in Peoria, I got CSN on my cable, but I didn't get WCIU, nor was I able to get the channel over the air, but since almost all of Illinois is in the White Sox blackout area for MLB.tv, that didn't help either. All I could do for those games was listen on the radio and follow along with Gamecast.

As of May 31 2011, the WCIU Sox games are now broadcast on Peoria's Channel 59 , WAOE see this link(yes, it includes Cubs games, especially the Crosstown games in June) http://www.my59.tv/shows/744-whitesox-cubs

ChicagoG19
05-31-2011, 09:21 PM
As of May 31 2011, the WCIU Sox games are now broadcast on Peoria's Channel 59 , WAOE see this link(yes, it includes Cubs games, especially the Crosstown games in June) http://www.my59.tv/shows/744-whitesox-cubs

That's good stuff. I don't understand why this isn't done in every market in the White Sox/Cubs local/blackout zone (i.e. Champaign/Urbana, Springfield, Quad Cities).

FielderJones
05-31-2011, 09:25 PM

So, was tonight's game in 720p HD? Not that I'm planning on being Peoria any time soon. :D:

Lamp81
05-31-2011, 09:49 PM
They have always billed these games as being available on "SoxNet", which it seemed that WCIU was the only affiliate. Good to see a Peoria station pick them up. Hope more stations pick up this package the way radio affiliates, outside of Chicago, pick up Sox games.

SOXYoose
05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
I've found that the WCIU hd feed for sox games over the air antenna is comparable, maybe superior, to the comcast feed. And since I cant have a cable box in every room, it's a great option to have a non-cable channel.

DSpivack
05-31-2011, 11:00 PM
That's good stuff. I don't understand why this isn't done in every market in the White Sox/Cubs local/blackout zone (i.e. Champaign/Urbana, Springfield, Quad Cities).

I'm guessing the stations in those other markets away from the Chicago are worried that the ratings for Sox games would be too low to justify carrying them.

FielderJones
05-31-2011, 11:02 PM
I've found that the WCIU hd feed for sox games over the air antenna is comparable, maybe superior, to the comcast feed.

Cable HD is compressed. OTA HD is not. You should usually find antenna WCIU and WGN superior to cable HD.