Big Hurt so good
04-23-2011, 05:44 PM
http://4rd.ca/aaafFe

Read it and get mad...

LITTLE NELL
04-23-2011, 05:58 PM

Read it and get mad...

I read that earlier and I was going to post something about it but had to run some errands, Walker is delusional.

Big Hurt so good
04-23-2011, 06:08 PM
I read that earlier and I was going to post something about it but had to run some errands, Walker is delusional.

Agreed... if he really, truly believes this team is okay then we've got serious issues up and down this organization and have little hope of competing for the division this year

SoxSpeed22
04-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Here I was thinking 90% of the 'Fire Walker' talk came from here.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess.

P.S. This team sucks out loud.

Hitmen77
04-23-2011, 06:17 PM

Read it and get mad...

Yeah, how do you expect our guys to hit against tough pitching like Brad Penny?:rolleyes::mad:

I've never been a big "fire Walker" or "fire Ozzie" guy, but all I know is that year after year their team looks flat, lifeless and underachieves except for brief periods where they go on incredible hot streaks.

Whatever. I'm sick and tired of hearing Walker and Guillen defend themselves. This team, once again, is just unpleasant to watch. They can't seriously expect fans to get "all in" and buy more tickets ($100-$200 to take a family to the game) to watch their continued crap fest.

Dear Sox management and players, just shut the **** up with the excuses and just starting getting some wins.

chisox12
04-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Agreed... if he really, truly believes this team is okay then we've got serious issues up and down this organization and have little hope of competing for the division this year

Very serious issues.

tstrike2000
04-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Just wow. Never let Walker speak to the media again.

Noneck
04-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Sounds like he is the guy willing to fall on the sword.

tstrike2000
04-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Sounds like he is the guy willing to fall on the sword.

Don't tease us.

TomBradley72
04-23-2011, 06:54 PM
I do not think Walker is the problem with this team- but using average runs/game which is inflated by the first 2 games vs. CLE- is not facing reality.

JB98
04-23-2011, 06:59 PM
I do not think Walker is the problem with this team- but using average runs/game which is inflated by the first 2 games vs. CLE- is not facing reality.

It's a delusional comment by a man whose time should be up, IMO.

Boondock Saint
04-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Well, at least all this talk has gotten the offense to wake up against the Tigers.

Way to respond, anybody.

LongLiveFisk
04-23-2011, 07:06 PM
If this is hitting fine, I shudder to think what hitting badly would look like.

infohawk
04-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Let me begin by saying that I'm not a "dark cloud." I'm usually pretty optimistic and sometimes hopelessly patient.

That's starting to change as I can't help but see the Sox falling into what seems like an almost annual pattern. Solid enough looking roster in a weaker division, yet prone to maddeningly slow starts and elongated slumps that leave the team trying to dig out of an early hole. And too much damn talent on the roster to explain WHY it happens. The team pitches below it's talent level when they have pitching and the team seems to hit below it's talent level when they have hitting.

I don't think I've ever called for a firing, but something simply is not meshing with this group. There's something that inhibits any semblance of consistently solid play. They may go on a tare eventually, but it could likely just counteract the losses that stack up during multiple slumps. And BAD slumps. The kind that leave you irrationally wondering if they will ever win another game!

So, something needs to change. And I don't know if it's the field managing, the coaching, or the roster construction. I tend to want to give KW a pass because, on paper, he typically puts together a pretty solid roster. This year is no exception. Sure, we've got a few older guys, but they're not declining that much yet. Every roster has flaws, but I like the composition of this team.

I guess that I have no answer for why the team gets into these slumps with the talent on hand. I'm left to wonder if it's a leadership issue, though.

Lip Man 1
04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
If Greg truely believes this he is becomming delusional.

Sometimes right or wrong, change simply for changes sake needs to be made.

It's getting very close to this time don't ya' think? (and it could be mre than just Greg.)

Lip

dickallen15
04-23-2011, 07:47 PM
What's going to happen if Walker leaves and the offense continues to have the same problems or even gets worse? How long does the new hitting coach get before he needs to go?

TheOldRoman
04-23-2011, 08:04 PM
What's going to happen if Walker leaves and the offense continues to have the same problems or even gets worse? How long does the new hitting coach get before he needs to go?If we are going by the standards set for Walker, the new coach gets 7 1/2 years of poor results before he gets fired.

Gavin
04-23-2011, 08:06 PM
This is scary.

CLR01
04-23-2011, 11:07 PM
What's going to happen if Walker leaves and the offense continues to have the same problems or even gets worse? How long does the new hitting coach get before he needs to go?

Yoyu're probably right. Nobody should ever get let go because the next guy may suck just as bad.

Dan H
04-24-2011, 04:01 AM
Let me begin by saying that I'm not a "dark cloud." I'm usually pretty optimistic and sometimes hopelessly patient.

That's starting to change as I can't help but see the Sox falling into what seems like an almost annual pattern. Solid enough looking roster in a weaker division, yet prone to maddeningly slow starts and elongated slumps that leave the team trying to dig out of an early hole. And too much damn talent on the roster to explain WHY it happens. The team pitches below it's talent level when they have pitching and the team seems to hit below it's talent level when they have hitting.

I don't think I've ever called for a firing, but something simply is not meshing with this group. There's something that inhibits any semblance of consistently solid play. They may go on a tare eventually, but it could likely just counteract the losses that stack up during multiple slumps. And BAD slumps. The kind that leave you irrationally wondering if they will ever win another game!

So, something needs to change. And I don't know if it's the field managing, the coaching, or the roster construction. I tend to want to give KW a pass because, on paper, he typically puts together a pretty solid roster. This year is no exception. Sure, we've got a few older guys, but they're not declining that much yet. Every roster has flaws, but I like the composition of this team.

I guess that I have no answer for why the team gets into these slumps with the talent on hand. I'm left to wonder if it's a leadership issue, though.

This post sums up my feelings, too. You look at the roster and wonder what is going on. The Nationals look better than this team.

What is odd is how contagious these slow starts are. Rios wasn't on the club in the beginning of '09 and he has started bad. Dunn was part of this team in 2010 and he has fallen in with this stuff. I know he strikes out a lot anyway, but he can't hit even close to .200? I know he is in a different league now, but with inter-league play, he has at least seen a sample of AL pitching.

While this team is puzzling, we do know one thing: They can't wait until summer time to turn things around. They need to get out of this fun as soon as possible or the season is lost. They've been outscored 18-3 in two games against the Tigers. There is absolutely no excuse for that. It is one thing to lose; it is another to play dead.

Falstaff
04-24-2011, 04:55 AM
I am going to say two words: Frank Thomas.
Think about it. The man was a student of hitting (literally, with Walt H)
and certainly learned how to adapt and sustain results thru a HOF worthy
career. Hit for power? Hit for average? RISP? HOw to stay sharp as DH? I think most MLB players might give a listen to Frank Thomas ideas on these hitting topics. He's probably got more to offer than Greg Walker. OK Kenny, please do this, solve one problem (of many).

#1swisher
04-24-2011, 09:05 AM
I think "when we do get everyone healthy", is very telling.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-24-2011, 09:12 AM
What a ****ing joke. Last time I checked, those 10 runs (or 10.6 % of total runs) they dropped on Fausto Carmona on opening day aren't helping to win anymore games. They will, however, help Walker keep his "per game run average" up until some poor shlub fourth and fifth starters (preferably from the NL) have to face them at the Cell after the weather heats up. And then we will all rejoice about how the offense as come to life and the stat padding will commence.

chisoxfanatic
04-24-2011, 11:31 AM
The only reason their run total is still near the top of the league is because of the first week of the season! And, the Sox have NOT been facing "the toughest pitching." What BS, Walker!!!

soltrain21
04-24-2011, 11:36 AM
The only reason their run total is still near the top of the league is because of the first week of the season! And, the Sox have NOT been facing "the toughest pitching." What BS, Walker!!!

Sox have faced some tough pitchers already. But that doesn't really excuse the performance.

chisoxfanatic
04-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Sox have faced some tough pitchers already. But that doesn't really excuse the performance.
Hasn't pretty much every other team as well? They haven't been facing the toughest, though...Not close.

The first three weeks of this season were supposed to be forgiving. Here I was thinking they'd be fine until the Yankee series, but not so.

soltrain21
04-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Hasn't pretty much every other team as well? They haven't been facing the toughest, though...Not close.

The first three weeks of this season were supposed to be forgiving. Here I was thinking they'd be fine until the Yankee series, but not so.

I don't know if they have faced the "toughest" or not - and I'm not about to go through every single team and look at every pitcher they've faced. But I'm guessing what they've faced is up there for toughest.

Illini Stripes
04-24-2011, 11:48 AM
A year ago today we were 8-11 were 8-13 now.

HebrewHammer
04-24-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm not a Greg Walker fan, but anyone that thinks a hitting coach has anything to do with a good offense is an idiot. I don't think Greg Walker can do anything to make Juan Pierre or Brent Morel not bad at offense. I don't think he did anything to make Adam Dunn not hit the ball. I don't think he told AJ to keep bunting to get out of his slump.

Johnny Mostil
04-24-2011, 12:16 PM

And after 21 games in 2010 the Sox were 8-13 . . .

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2011, 12:54 PM
I don't know if this malaise we are in is Ozzie's fault, Kenny's fault, Greg Walker's fault, or the churros vendor's fault. However, I am sick and tired of it going on. In reality, this same malaise of underachievement has been occurring at various levels since the 2006 season. And if it does not change sooner rather than later, I'm all for a housecleaning from Kenny to Ozzie and on down. I see things in attitudes of certain people that bother me. Whether it's Walker's attitude with this or Ozzie looking more forward to his next daytrip to Miami than our next game.

captain54
04-24-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm not a Greg Walker fan, but anyone that thinks a hitting coach has anything to do with a good offense is an idiot. .

So, whether the offense is bad or the offense is good, Greg Walker holds no accountability. Okay, got it.

captain54
04-24-2011, 01:45 PM
And if it does not change sooner rather than later, I'm all for a housecleaning from Kenny to Ozzie and on down.

the only true barometer will be is if attendance takes a hit as we approach the summer and warmer weather months.. then I believe Reinsdorf's hand will be forced..

there's always the risk of a housecleaning bringing in less competent, but I think most Sox fans at this point might be at a point where the risk might be worth it.

Big Hurt so good
04-24-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm not a Greg Walker fan, but anyone that thinks a hitting coach has anything to do with a good offense is an idiot. I don't think Greg Walker can do anything to make Juan Pierre or Brent Morel not bad at offense. I don't think he did anything to make Adam Dunn not hit the ball. I don't think he told AJ to keep bunting to get out of his slump.

I think most understand the hitting coach has very little to do with it... it's just a matter of there needing to be a change, some change, any change....

sticking with the status quo that's failed year after year and is failing once again just isn't an option IMHO

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2011, 02:29 PM
the only true barometer will be is if attendance takes a hit as we approach the summer and warmer weather months.. then I believe Reinsdorf's hand will be forced..

there's always the risk of a housecleaning bringing in less competent, but I think most Sox fans at this point might be at a point where the risk might be worth it.

Fans would be willing to reset things a season or two back if we clean house and bring in a proven winning GM from another club. The problem with that is that Reinsdorf is too loyal to his current personnel. Look how long it took from him to get rid of Jerry Krause.

soltrain21
04-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Oh yeah, they are really starting to come around today. Boy howdy.

SI1020
04-24-2011, 02:57 PM
I think most understand the hitting coach has very little to do with it... it's just a matter of there needing to be a change, some change, any change....

sticking with the status quo that's failed year after year and is failing once again just isn't an option IMHO These posts make me want to scream or bang my head against the wall. If they don't matter then why the **** have them at all? Save the money and spend it elsewhere.

whitesoxfan
04-24-2011, 03:17 PM

Neat. We didn't win **** last year.

Apparently, people are just going to forget the fact that we never do anything when we get off to slow starts. Games in April mean just as much as games later on in the season.

Soxfest
04-24-2011, 07:45 PM
I loathe Walker he should of been gone LONG ago!:angry:

kaufsox
04-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Is firing Walker going to make the defense any better?

SoxSpeed22
04-24-2011, 11:34 PM
You got outscored 21-3 in this series. I would say losing is a total team effort.
If firing anyone gives the team a good swift kick in the cheat, then I'm up for it.

soltrain21
04-24-2011, 11:43 PM

At this point I don't care. Fire an equipment manager. Do SOMETHING.

soxfanreggie
04-25-2011, 01:26 AM

Perhaps...hmmm...maybe our batters would spend more time at the plate and our fielders would get more rest? Then, the increased rest would help them play better...hopefully!

ewokpelts
04-25-2011, 09:25 AM

Read it and get mad...

Hey Greg! Get ****ed

Hitmen77
04-25-2011, 09:56 AM
And after 21 games in 2010 the Sox were 8-13 . . .

The Sox are off to their worst start in 10 years.

One thing I'm getting fed up with, is that after years of underachieving, there apparently is no accountability for Ozzie and his coaching staff. It's never their fault even when they're given enough talent to win.

VenturaFan23
04-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Hey Greg! Get ****ed

You took the words out of my mouth, but I'll say it again.....Get ****ed Walker. Year after year we have a different lineup with different players and we get the same dead ass all-or-nothing results. His time has long past.

russ99
04-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Maybe this awful slump will accomplish the impossible, getting Walker fired after three straight years where it was needed.

hi im skot
04-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Hasn't the exact same article been written the past four seasons?

Enough is enough.

Dibbs
04-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Walker should have been fired years ago. It's the same stuff every year. At this point, it's so long overdo that it is no longer a big deal to me. I've lost a little faith in the organization.

VenturaFan23
04-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Enough is enough.

Exactly. Just change a few players names and the year.

JB98
04-25-2011, 02:08 PM

Enough is enough.

Agreed. People are always scolding me for blaming Walker and wanting him gone. Yet, year after year I'm given cause to make the exact same arguments.

I believe the Sox mental approach to hitting is broken. It's been all-or-nothing for five years. Let's bring somebody new in to take a fresh look at some old problems.