PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Winning Streak OVAH at 1" 4/22/2011 Postgame Thread

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Discuss the disgust.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-22-2011, 08:47 PM
:angry::angry::angry:

SoxSpeed22
04-22-2011, 08:49 PM
One of those 60 you lose, but does anybody else sense the bad karma?

soxlady8
04-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Beckham, Dunn , and Rios are painful to watch at the plate :(

Nelfox02
04-22-2011, 08:51 PM
really had zero expectation of a sox win tonight, the sad thing is I think the Sox themselves felt the same way

Carlos had a nice game.......uh, dont think we had an error......uh......that really is about all that comes to mind for the postives.....

still a chance to win this series......

soxinem1
04-22-2011, 08:52 PM

Rios has been useless all year so far on both offense and defense.

Follow up a nice, well-played game with this pile of crap tonight. Damn, why didn't it rain out by the 3rd Inning? :angry:

ChiSoxGal85
04-22-2011, 08:53 PM
:angry: The Sox offense apparently was lost with the luggage, except for Carlos and Paul.

Would love to see Rios and Dunn get out of their funk. It's painful.

Tomorrow is another day. <-- vague attempt to be optimistic.

Nelfox02
04-22-2011, 08:53 PM

Rios, what happened to him? I mean he was once a good hitter.....he has been basically complete **** since coming here....a few stretches here and there......but overall an extreme dissapointment.

Dunn, I knew going in he would stike out a ton going into this, but didnt realize how painful it would be to watch over and over again......ugh

Beckham, well there is a whole thread dedicated to his failures

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2011, 08:54 PM
In spite of our facing Verlander, it seemed like there was no consensus sense of urgency, except for TCQ and Paulie.

soxlady8
04-22-2011, 08:54 PM
:angry: The Sox offense apparently was lost with the luggage, except for Carlos and Paul.

Would love to see Rios and Dunn get out of their funk. It's painful.

Tomorrow is another day. <-- vague attempt to be optimistic.

Love that first statement !! good analogy !!

manders_01
04-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Well that certainly wasn't how I anticipated that to go.

LongLiveFisk
04-22-2011, 08:58 PM

The Sox are just trying to get their 60 losses out of the way in the first couple of months.

WhiteSox5187
04-22-2011, 09:02 PM
As bad as our offense has been in the past eight games we have run into some good pitching too (Verlander, Price, Weaver, Haren).

Nelfox02
04-22-2011, 09:03 PM
post game show just showed the line from each of Mark's starts this year, I did not realize just how awful he's been so far this year......

soltrain21
04-22-2011, 09:03 PM
I think we lost because we gave up 9 runs.

Foulke You
04-22-2011, 09:07 PM
post game show just showed the line from each of Mark's starts this year, I did not realize just how awful he's been so far this year......
Ump wasn't giving Buehrle the corners and when that happens, he is kind've screwed. The Rayburn HR to RF was a cheapie too. Overall, he wasn't very sharp but he also had some bad luck in this outing. By the way, add Rayburn to the list of scrub players that ALWAYS get up to play the Sox.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Well that's 9 of 11..."don't stop now boys!"

I remember when the Sox owned Verlander, he was like 1-6 against them, not anymore, not the past few years especially.

Gotta LOVE those solo home runs eh?

Lip

tstrike2000
04-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Probably not a good thing when both the starting pitching has been kind of slumping and the offense is slumping.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2011, 09:31 PM
You just wonder if one game can make a difference...

I was thinking about this earlier today. Go back to last July, the game right after the All-Star Break at Minnesota where Jenks couldn't hold a three run 9th inning lead. Instead of getting a four game split, the Twins grabbed momentum and the Sox mentally fell apart.

Now this year the rubber game with the A's...AGAIN the Sox urinate away a three run 9th inning lead and lose in extra innings. It's been all down the toilet ever since.

One out, one game can make all the difference in the world it seems if it happens at just the wrong time and with three previously blown games maybe it was the one to push things out of control and downhill.

Time will tell but this hasn't been close to the same team before it. I mean at least in the first week they showed a pulse.

Lip

Nelfox02
04-22-2011, 09:40 PM
You just wonder if one game can make a difference...

I was thinking about this earlier today. Go back to last July, the game right after the All-Star Break at Minnesota where Jenks couldn't hold a three run 9th inning lead. Instead of getting a four game split, the Twins grabbed momentum and the Sox mentally fell apart.

Now this year the rubber game with the A's...AGAIN the Sox urinate away a three run 9th inning lead and lose in extra innings. It's been all down the toilet ever since.

One out, one game can make all the difference in the world it seems if it happens at just the wrong time and with three previously blown games maybe it was the one to push things out of control and downhill.

Time will tell but this hasn't been close to the same team before it. I mean at least in the first week they showed a pulse.

Lip

Not saying you are wrong, unfortunately you are probably right. But lets say you are right, doesnt that say a lot about this team then? one bad game, and they just go soft and piss away game after game after that?

In 162 games, all teams have a terrible loss here and there, give up a late lead, horrible error costs the game, load the bases down 1 in the ninth with no outs and not score.....etc, etc, it happes to all teams......why then do the Sox respond to tough losses by turning to quivering piles of **** for days?

slavko
04-22-2011, 09:42 PM
The good news? Don't need a closer. Depressing. And Lip is right about the defeatist attitude that sets in after a string of disheartening losses. I wouldn't be looking at this stuff if it wasn't raining cats and dogs outside.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Nel:

That's the million dollar question isn't it?

This has happened before to the Sox, I'm sure if Kenny knew the answer he'd have had it fixed long time ago.

Is it Ozzie? Is it the contention among some (and I include myself in that group) that the issue is no vocal / strong leaders in the locker room? Is it too many vets who are complacent to just get their checks...is it a bunch of mentally weak players? Hell I have no idea...but I wish I did.

Lip

Brian26
04-22-2011, 09:56 PM

He's pitched five games.

One of them was a brilliant two-hit performance that the bullpen blew.

Another was Opening Day, where he obviously just turned it down a notch after the Sox put up 12 runs early. He gave up four runs.

It's too early to start jumping down Buehrle's throat. He's going to have games where he gives up seven or eight hits. Many of those games he'll end up winning if the Sox defense shows up behind him. This shouldn't be a newsflash to Sox fans. This act got tired with Mike North's performance about four years, a week before Buehrle threw his first no-hitter.

Nelfox02
04-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Nel:

That's the million dollar question isn't it?

This has happened before to the Sox, I'm sure if Kenny knew the answer he'd have had it fixed long time ago.

Is it Ozzie? Is it the contention among some (and I include myself in that group) that the issue is no vocal / strong leaders in the locker room? Is it too many vets who are complacent to just get their checks...is it a bunch of mentally weak players? Hell I have no idea...but I wish I did.

Lip

I mean, wouldnt you think a team that has as many vets as ours would by nature react better? these guys have been thru this grind year after year, the know that type of **** is just part of the game.......I guess I would expect a young team to tank for awhile after a rough loss or two....but a veteran team reacting like this? year after year?

I guess its easy to say, but why dont tough losses get this team motivated to kick ass the next day? piss em off to the point where they will take it out on the next team they play? at the end of the day isnt that the advantage of the baseball season? you play almost every day, you dont have time to sit there an ruminate about a tough loss and let it sink into your brain like you do in the NFL and to a lesser degree the NBA or NHL

maybe that is where not having a vocal leader(s) in the clubhouse comes in.......I think that is the number one thing that drives me nuts about this team the last few years: the lying down and taking a beating game after game whenever anything goes wrong

to your orignal point, you are right, I think in basically every season since 05 you can point to a terrible loss or 2 and see that as the point where momentum just left this team and they never really got it going again, or by the time they did get it going again they had done so much damage to their position in the standings that it was too little to late...I guess the one exception was the disastrous trip to Minn in 08, but the sox turning it on in the last few games to make it to the post season.....

tstrike2000
04-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Lip, every team blows saves, but you may be right. It's all in how you respond and rebound from a loss like that. Right now, who knows, it's still April. But as history serves, it doesn't typically bode well for the Sox if they fall under .500 going in through May. A 25-5 run or whatever it was last year may not happen again for a long time.

BainesHOF
04-22-2011, 10:03 PM
The players are WAY too comfortable. Most are older vets with huge, guaranteed contracts. I don't see much hunger on this team. There's a general acceptance of what's going on, and that's not good.

It's Ozzie's job to make sure his team plays with a competitive edge. Most of the players look soft.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2011, 10:06 PM
TS:

Let's put it this way...the Sox went 26-5 last year, the only other time that happened in franchise history was 1951.

I wouldn't count on it happening again which to your point means they better start playing better now.

Lip

Lip Man 1
04-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Slavko:

Just to be clear I never said anything about a "defeatist" attitude but I will say this, from talking to and interviewing a bunch of baseball people over the years the single biggest thing that can prey on a ballclub, just eat away at them, is to lose games that mentally you had already put in the win column.

The Sox had four in the first two weeks and who knows, it (as I said) might have pushed the ball over the edge and rolling downhill.

2009: 10-10 first 20 games (1 game out)
2010: 8-12 first 20 games (6 games out)
2011: 8-12 first 20 games (5.5 games out)

That's progress?

Lip

Domeshot17
04-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Mark Buehrle might be in the top group of worst 15 million spent in baseball.

Dub25
04-22-2011, 11:39 PM

Bad karma??? Not sure, but I will say this. We are seeing the usual formula of a Sox season. Shortly into the season the bats go cold for a long time. Seems the only runs come from solo HR's. Then they wake up to go on a run. Mid August rolls around and they play the Twins. The Sox crap the bed but in September they are close enough for us to stay interested. Then the Twins hammer in the final nails to the coffin to put the Sox away and once again the brass are left scratching heads to wonder how to beat the Twins.

PalehosePlanet
04-23-2011, 03:12 AM
Rios, what happened to him? I mean he was once a good hitter.....he has been basically complete **** since coming here....a few stretches here and there......but overall an extreme dissapointment.

Dunn, I knew going in he would stike out a ton going into this, but didnt realize how painful it would be to watch over and over again......ugh

Beckham, well there is a whole thread dedicated to his failures

Apparently you missed all of the 2010 season, when he rightfully deserved to be an all-star. He and Konerko were the only reason we weren't 20 games under .500 by June 1st.

Dan H
04-23-2011, 03:57 AM
Bad karma??? Not sure, but I will say this. We are seeing the usual formula of a Sox season. Shortly into the season the bats go cold for a long time. Seems the only runs come from solo HR's. Then they wake up to go on a run. Mid August rolls around and they play the Twins. The Sox crap the bed but in September they are close enough for us to stay interested. Then the Twins hammer in the final nails to the coffin to put the Sox away and once again the brass are left scratching heads to wonder how to beat the Twins.

This sums it real well. Maybe it is time to change the brass.

Jim Shorts
04-23-2011, 09:19 AM
This team is soft and complacent. Just what a fan base wants from their team that spent the most in franchise history on payroll.

Hitmen77
04-23-2011, 09:53 AM
2009: 10-10 first 20 games (1 game out)
2010: 8-12 first 20 games (6 games out)
2011: 8-12 first 20 games (5.5 games out)

That's progress?

Lip

We are seeing the usual formula of a Sox season. Shortly into the season the bats go cold for a long time. Seems the only runs come from solo HR's. Then they wake up to go on a run. Mid August rolls around and they play the Twins. The Sox crap the bed but in September they are close enough for us to stay interested. Then the Twins hammer in the final nails to the coffin to put the Sox away and once again the brass are left scratching heads to wonder how to beat the Twins.

I think this is why so many fans are already angry about what's happening so far in this young season. It isn't just the Sox playing poorly in the last 10 game, it's that this looks to be a repeat of the same old pattern that you (Dub25) sum up.

We've seen this rerun before. Even as the roster slowly turns over, we see the same mediocre results. Something is wrong with the way this team is run. It's either that KW & Co. keeps bringing in these all-or-nothing guys or that Ozzie & his coaches are too often having the team underachieve for the amount of talent they're given to work with.......and it's probably a little of both.

It's not that they're giving us 90 loss teams, but merely a team that's good enough for 2nd or 3rd place in the division.

Zakath
04-23-2011, 10:35 AM
To give you an idea of the kind of slump Dunn is in, for his career he averages about 4 K's for every 3 hits. This season, he's got 8 hits and 22 K's in 49 at-bats, and only 4 hits since returning from the appendectomy (19 K's). Have to think that he came back too soon (a la Paulie a couple of years ago with the oblique).

Hendu
04-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Of course I had to sit through 9 cold innings and miss the Pixies concert across the street to watch that garbage. Beutiful stadium and great fans.

Now watching today's suckfest at a bar in Corktown by the old Tiger stadium site.

SBSoxFan
04-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Well that's 9 of 11..."don't stop now boys!"

I remember when the Sox owned Verlander, he was like 1-6 against them, not anymore, not the past few years especially.

Gotta LOVE those solo home runs eh?

Lip

I was thinking about that too, Lip. Now, it doesn't look like these guys couldn't hit Justin Bieber let alone Verlander.