PDA

View Full Version : No-No Alert

manders_01
04-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Anibel Sanchez has one in the top of the 8th with two outs. Rockies at Marlins.

manders_01
04-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Got the third out. Taking it to the 9th.

DSpivack
04-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Turned it on going into the 8th.

TDog
04-22-2011, 09:26 PM
The no-no was lost with two outs in the first. But Anibel Sanchez will take a no-hitter into the ninth against the Rockies.

manders_01
04-22-2011, 09:28 PM
The no-no was lost with two outs in the first. But Anibel Sanchez will take a no-hitter into the ninth against the Rockies.

Well it's very embarrassing to admit that I had no idea that no-no didn't mean no-hitter, that's just always what I've called it. :redface: I will use it properly from now on, thank you. :smile:

manders_01
04-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Here we go. Let's go Rockies!!! :D:

TDog
04-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Well it's very embarrassing to admit that I had no idea that no-no didn't mean no-hitter, that's just always what I've called it. :redface: I will use it properly from now on, thank you. :smile:

There's plenty of embarrassment to go around. In re-reading my post, I see that I misspelled Anibal Sanchez.

manders_01
04-22-2011, 09:33 PM
YES!!! :bandance: Fowler breaks it up on the first pitch.

Good game for Anibal though. Tip of the cap to you, sir.

mzh
04-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Lost with none out in the 9th to Dexter Fowler.

manders_01
04-22-2011, 09:34 PM
There's plenty of embarrassment to go around. In re-reading my post, I see that I misspelled Anibal Sanchez.

LOL So did I on the first post. And I was typing it from the TV screen! :o:

Brian26
04-22-2011, 10:48 PM

Well it's very embarrassing to admit that I had no idea that no-no didn't mean no-hitter, that's just always what I've called it. :redface:

I've always understood "no-no" to mean a no-hitter. I've never understood it to exclusively mean a perfect game.

WinningUgly!
04-22-2011, 10:55 PM
I've always understood "no-no" to mean a no-hitter. I've never understood it to exclusively mean a perfect game.

Same here.

TDog
04-22-2011, 10:56 PM

No-no is old-time newspaper headline shorthand for no-hit, no-run game.

Perfecto is old time newspaper headline for perfect game.

Brian26
04-22-2011, 10:58 PM
No-no is old-time newspaper shorthand for no-hit, no-run game.

That's news to me, but it is interesting.

You'll admit, then, that "no-no" is used incorrectly very, very frequently, no?

TDog
04-22-2011, 11:07 PM
That's news to me, but it is interesting.

You'll admit, then, that "no-no" is used incorrectly very, very frequently, no?

Yes, it is, and I find it a bit annoying, as long as you mention it.

Many fans don't make the distinction because most no-hitters are also shutouts.

DumpJerry
04-22-2011, 11:12 PM
A no-no is a no hitter (http://www.allwords.com/word-no-no.html), not a perfect game.

#1swisher
04-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Do I need to change my sig?

EDIT: Never!

StillMissOzzie
04-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Same here.

No-no is old-time newspaper headline shorthand for no-hit, no-run game.

Perfecto is old time newspaper headline for perfect game.

I also have assumed that "no-no" was shorthand for no runs, no hits, [ or no hits, no runs ] sorta like the inning summary of no runs, no hits, no errors. But, it didn't have to be a perfect game to be a no-no. Back in the early to mid-80's (too lazy too look it up right now), White Sox pitcher Joe Cowley (no, not the Sun-Times scribe) had a rather ugly no-hitter where, IIRC, he walked the bases full and gave up a run on a sacrifice fly. He still pitched a complete game no-hitter, but he was nicknamed "Dr. No" because he didn't earn the second "no", the no runs portion.

SMO
:gulp:

Edit: That was in 9/19/1986, walking 7 (!) in a 7 - 1 victory over the California Angels. Another baseball oddity, Cowley would never win another game in MLB.