PDA

View Full Version : Team travel question

manders_01
04-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Just curious about something that's no big deal but now that I've thought about it, I keep wondering. :D:

A team has a home day game, a day off then an away night game on the third day. When does the team travel?

Bump34
04-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Most of the time the team will leave late afternoon or early evening of the off day... if the off day is at home... if its on the road... most team's will leave after the day game and have an entire day off the next day...

Lamp81
04-23-2011, 12:18 AM
On Earth Day, I've been thinking about team travel.

It doesn't seem that the White Sox, when on the road, get scheduled to travel in a way that would lessen the miles flown, and the jet fuel used.

For example, instead of a Tampa - Detroit - New York road trip, the middle leg could have been Baltimore.

I think MLB could do a better job at reducing travel miles if they added that to their formula. We should never "cross Chicago" on a road trip, yet in May we go from Texas, cross Chicago to Toronto and then on to Boston. In July, go from Detroit, Crossing Chicago to Kansas City, to crossing Chicago back to Cleveland before coming home. In August we go from Minnesota, crossing Chicago on our way to Baltimore.

It seems this could be planned a lot better, especially for a teams based in the Midwest.

Lip Man 1
04-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Lamp:

The people who make the schedule are idiots which is why you had the Padres freezing in Chicago instead of the Cubs going there where it's 65 degrees and have San Diego come to Chicago say in June when it's warm...to say nothing of the Sox getting screwed with a stretch of 30 of 43 games on the road.

Sure they've got a bunch of home games later in the year but if they are nine games out it's not going to mean a damn thing. So the old 'well they all even out, 81 home, 81 road' argument is meaningless.

It's WHEN you play home games, how often and against whom that shape a race.

Remember the 09 August road trip? Boston, New York, Minnesota...10 games. That spelled complete and utter doom.

Lip