PDA

View Full Version : Selig: Bonds records will stand

Fenway
04-22-2011, 05:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6404015
:angry:

Madvora
04-22-2011, 06:50 PM
This type of thing had already been discussed when he broke the record. Nobody really thought records were going to be changed anymore did they? Records mean nothing in baseball anymore as long as those are on the books.
- let me think of another sentence that contains the word "record"

g0g0
04-22-2011, 07:24 PM
We'll just have to wait for the next commissioner and see what he feels on the subject. I'm still hoping for that asterisk for anyone who has been caught.

soltrain21
04-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Is there any other option? You get rid of him from the books and all of a sudden almost every pitcher's ERA and everything else needs to be changed.

Daver
04-22-2011, 07:46 PM
We'll just have to wait for the next commissioner and see what he feels on the subject. I'm still hoping for that asterisk for anyone who has been caught.

When did Bonds fail a test administered by MLB?

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Roger Maris' 61 and Henry Aaron's 755 still stand in my book.

SI1020
04-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Roger Maris' 61 and Henry Aaron's 755 still stand in my book. Agreed.

TDog
04-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Is there any other option? You get rid of him from the books and all of a sudden almost every pitcher's ERA and everything else needs to be changed.

You're right. There isn't any option.

Can you imagine how the standings would change if you negated every Barry Bonds home run with the Giants?

And, of course, Daver is right. Is there any way of knowing which of any home runs shouldn't count? What Bonds did, he did with the blessing of major league baseball.

When Alex Rodriguez breaks the record, his numbers will stand, too.

WhiteSox5187
04-22-2011, 08:55 PM
When did Bonds fail a test administered by MLB?

In 2007 he tested positive for "banned stimulants." I don't know if he was on the 2003 list either.

While I would love to see Aaron get the all time home run record again and Maris get the single season record, I have no idea how the hell you do that. I think in everyone's mind though Aaron still has the record, maybe Maris too. You just have to remind everyone of that.

Daver
04-22-2011, 09:03 PM
In 2007 he tested positive for "banned stimulants." I don't know if he was on the 2003 list either.

While I would love to see Aaron get the all time home run record again and Maris get the single season record, I have no idea how the hell you do that. I think in everyone's mind though Aaron still has the record, maybe Maris too. You just have to remind everyone of that.

He passed that test based on MLB standards of the time, olympic style testing revealed the stimulants, he has never failed an MLB administered drug test. This was the fuel that gave Bud the leverage to strongarm the MLBPA into accepting the most stringent testing in all of American pro sports, he had a little help from the congress as well.

MrT27
04-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Hitters and pitchers alike were doing steroids and we will never find out everyone who did them. No fair punishing one player when really the whole era was tainted.

Yes there were steroids but everyone forgets that there was expansion, small ballparks, and an over emphasis on hitting home runs over things like batting average. I think all these things had more to do with the "power surge" then steroids themselves.

g0g0
04-23-2011, 10:01 AM
He passed that test based on MLB standards of the time, olympic style testing revealed the stimulants, he has never failed an MLB administered drug test. This was the fuel that gave Bud the leverage to strongarm the MLBPA into accepting the most stringent testing in all of American pro sports, he had a little help from the congress as well.

Which we all know weren't very stringent. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Hitters and pitchers alike were doing steroids and we will never find out everyone who did them. No fair punishing one player when really the whole era was tainted.

Yes there were steroids but everyone forgets that there was expansion, small ballparks, and an over emphasis on hitting home runs over things like batting average. I think all these things had more to do with the "power surge" then steroids themselves.

The problem for me is Bonds managed to break some of the most revered records in the game. If he was doping and never did that, then he wouldn't be so reviled. But he did (along with McGuire and Sosa for a time) and has become a very big target.

white sox bill
04-23-2011, 12:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6404015
:angry:

LITTLE NELL
04-23-2011, 12:51 PM
The records stand but no way do these cheaters like Bonds, McGwire and Sosa get into the HOF.

SI1020
04-23-2011, 12:51 PM

Yes there were steroids but everyone forgets that there was expansion, small ballparks, and an over emphasis on hitting home runs over things like batting average. I think all these things had more to do with the "power surge" then steroids themselves. Very few posts on this board that I've agreed with less.

sox1970
04-23-2011, 12:55 PM
The records stand but no way do these cheaters like Bonds, McGwire and Sosa get into the HOF.

Especially Sosa and McGwire, whose careers were completely built off of PED's.

Bonds is an *******, but if you're only admitting players on their playing careers, he still deserves to get in the Hall. I don't think he will, and he doesn't deserve to based on his character, but I think Bonds is in a different category than McGwire and Sosa.

MrT27
04-23-2011, 08:03 PM
A great SI article pertaining to whether steroids really helped as much as people think. Worth a read no matter what side of the argument you are on...

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/08/06/what-if-we-are-wrong-again-about-steroids/

Mohoney
04-28-2011, 01:42 AM
Since it seems to NOT be common sense to everybody, and people seem to be living in denial, here's a brief primer.

Barry Bonds took steroids.

Mark McGwire took steroids.

Sammy Sosa took steroids.

Roger Clemens took steroids.

Lance Armstrong took steroids.

Rafael Palmeiro took steroids.

David Ortiz took steroids.

Manny Ramirez took steroids.

Clay Matthews took steroids.

Jose Canseco took steroids.

Brady Anderson took steroids.

Need I go on further?

soxfanatlanta
04-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Since it seems to NOT be common sense to everybody, and people seem to be living in denial, here's a brief primer.

Barry Bonds took steroids.

Mark McGwire took steroids.

Sammy Sosa took steroids.

Roger Clemens took steroids.

Lance Armstrong took steroids.

Rafael Palmeiro took steroids.

David Ortiz took steroids.

Manny Ramirez took steroids.

Clay Matthews took steroids.

Jose Canseco took steroids.

Brady Anderson took steroids.

Need I go on further?

Lance had a wicked slider, didn't he? :tongue:

SI1020
04-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Floyd Landis.

MrT27
04-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Some players who have been suspended by MLB for taking performance enhancing drugs...

Alex Sanchez
Jorge Piedra
Agustin Montero
Jamal Strong
Juan Rincon
Mike Morse
Calos Almanzar
Feliz Heredia
Matt Lawton
Yusaku Iriki
Jason Grimsley
Juan Salas
Neifi PErez
Dan Serafini
Jay Gibbons
Eliezer Alfonzo
JC Romero
Pablo Ozuna
Sergio Mitre
Jorege Sosa

Anyone can cherry pick a list of any sort and make it seem favorable to their argument. If your interested about the effects of steroids please read the link I posted above.

Bobby Thigpen
04-28-2011, 10:55 AM
A great SI article pertaining to whether steroids really helped as much as people think. Worth a read no matter what side of the argument you are on...

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/08/06/what-if-we-are-wrong-again-about-steroids/
Interesting read, but totally overlooks (from what I saw) the recovery aspects steroids gives you.

Bobby Thigpen
04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Some players who have been suspended by MLB for taking performance enhancing drugs...

Alex Sanchez
Jorge Piedra
Agustin Montero
Jamal Strong
Juan Rincon
Mike Morse
Calos Almanzar
Feliz Heredia
Matt Lawton
Yusaku Iriki
Jason Grimsley
Juan Salas
Neifi PErez
Dan Serafini
Jay Gibbons
Eliezer Alfonzo
JC Romero
Pablo Ozuna
Sergio Mitre
Jorege Sosa

Anyone can cherry pick a list of any sort and make it seem favorable to their argument. If your interested about the effects of steroids please read the link I posted above.
Big difference between steroids and amphetamines and we have no idea which ones these guys took.