PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Lifetime extension for Ozzie & Walker! Sox bats thump Rays 9-2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
04-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Finally...

soltrain21
Good. Turn this ****ing thing around and win the damn division by 20 games.

thomas35forever
Gray for closer!

SephClone89
Beckham out, Sox clout.

manders_01
04-21-2011, 08:41 PM
That felt soooooo great!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
Santos and Gray still with 0.00 ERAs.

LITTLE NELL
Our long national nightmare is over.

mzh
04-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Way to overuse the bullpen in a blowout. Changes need to be made.

:fireozzie:

diehardRLsoxfan
Finally

JermaineDye05
I am officially blaming our losing skid on my paper I'm currently working on for my Shakespeare class.

The skid started precisely when I started working on it. Now I'm about an hour away from finishing it and the Sox finally win.

Please forgive me, WSI.

SephClone89

Right on cue.

diehardRLsoxfan
04-21-2011, 08:43 PM

Give me a break.......:rolleyes:

Frater Perdurabo
04-21-2011, 08:43 PM
9 runs on 10 hits is pretty efficient, especially without a homer.

Can we please have the past week be our slump for the season?

manders_01
04-21-2011, 08:45 PM
I am officially blaming our losing skid on my paper I'm currently working on for my Shakespeare class.

The skid started precisely when I started working on it. Now I'm about an hour away from finishing it and the Sox finally win.

Please forgive me, WSI.

Damn you JD!!! :tongue:

thomas35forever

Please forgive me, WSI.
Quick! Drop the class if you still can!

Tragg
9 runs on 10 hits is pretty efficient, especially without a homer.

Can we please have the past week be our slump for the season?

Amen

diehardRLsoxfan
04-21-2011, 08:46 PM
I hope we see Bacon down in the order when he comes back, let him clear his head for awhile.

GoSox2K3
04-21-2011, 08:46 PM
About time. You can't lose 'em all. This team needs to play like this a bunch of games in a row and get this beginnings of a train wreck turned around.

Santos and Gray still with 0.00 ERAs.

Well, it's a good thing Ozzie kept him unused for an entire week while the rest of the bullpen went in full meltdown mode. Genius!

mzh
04-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Right on cue.

Give me a break.......:rolleyes:
Forgive me, implied teal. :redface: I am a fervent Ozzie supporter if you look in the other threads.

SoxSpeed22
04-21-2011, 08:47 PM
That's better. Do more of that.

ChiSoxGal85
04-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Welcome back, White Sox. We missed you. The clones that took your place the last 7 games were woefully inadequate.

Good stuff. Keep it rolling, please!

GoSox2K3

Imagine that: the Sox win one game for the week. Take that you Ozzie haters!:rolleyes:

October26
Wonderful White sox winner - so great to see the Sox bats come alive tonite! And Gavin pitched great!

doublem23
04-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Man this has been a long week

SOXSINCE'70
04-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Man this has been a long week

It feels more like a long 3 weeks to me.Glad the Nightmare is over.
Tomorrow night, weather permitting, it's Burls and Verlander.

Thome25
04-21-2011, 08:59 PM

You can't be ****ing serious...:rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
04-21-2011, 08:59 PM
So this is what a win feels like...

Lip

Nelfox02
04-21-2011, 09:04 PM
yes, a W......they get 2 of 3 in Motor City and at least a split and NY, and I will start to see more of the glass half full side of things.

russ99
04-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Good job Sox. :D:

Let's chase Verlander early tomorrow.

mzh
04-21-2011, 09:09 PM
See my above post. Implied teal, I was hoping I was being ridiculous enough, but apparently not :?:. I am a fervent Ozzie supporter, if you look in the other threads.

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Sorry not getting excited here. I figured the White Sox would win this won. 3 vs. DET, 4 vs. NYY...

And we win no wonder why there isn't 5 pages yet...

johnnyg83
04-21-2011, 09:12 PM
More please, sir.

WhiteSox56
04-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Nice win. Let's keep it going.

SlowMotion

Yikes. It never stops does it...

soxlady8
nice win :)

good offense , good defense , good pitching :)

Please ... we need more of games like this ---

DirtySox
04-21-2011, 09:16 PM
I was preoccupied with the other sporting event. Nice to see a win though.

FielderJones
04-21-2011, 09:20 PM
See my above post. Implied teal, I was hoping I was being ridiculous enough, but apparently not :?:. I am a fervent Ozzie supporter, if you look in the other threads.

This is the WSI corollary to Poe's Law: Without real teal, it is impossible to create a parody of an anti-Ozzie or anti-Walker rant that someone won't mistake for the real thing.

tstrike2000
04-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Jeff Niemann came at the right time. Also nice to see a little shakeup of the lineup.

doublem23
04-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Imagine that: the Sox win one game for the week. Take that you Ozzie haters!:rolleyes:

Keep reading, guys

Crooked Number
04-21-2011, 09:34 PM
I didn't get to see the majority of this one, but damn it's a relief to see that we got a win! Hope this is a sign for things to come with the offense. We all know this team can hit. Just got to hope they don't go in entire team shut down mode again.

Teams can lose 2 or 3 in a row occasionally. But losing 7 in a row is pretty tough to overcome. Let's try to get some consistency like when we were 6-3. It can be done. Season is young.

Crooked Number
04-21-2011, 09:35 PM
This is the WSI corollary to Poe's Law: Without real teal, it is impossible to create a parody of an anti-Ozzie or anti-Walker rant that someone won't mistake for the real thing.

Haha. Well said. :D:

Nelfox02
04-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Sorry not getting excited here. I figured the White Sox would win this won. 3 vs. DET, 4 vs. NYY...

And we win no wonder why there isn't 5 pages yet...

yep.......need 2/3 vs Kitties and then get at worst a split in NY....get home and try to make a little noise before going back on the road.

need to stay withing striking distance of .500 on this trip, and then at least get back to it during the brief homestand

TDog
04-21-2011, 09:40 PM

Please forgive me, WSI.

What was the subject of your paper? In any case, it was nice to see the Sox get hits tonight that were not only most palpable, but timely as well.

I totally missed Wednesday's game because I was at a book sale in San Francisco, but I heard the Sox were hitting the ball better. I got to see tonight's game on the baseball network, and the Sox did almost everything right. It was good to see.

It makes a difference when Pierre gets on base. And scoring in the top of the first without hitting the ball out of the infield for the team's first lead in almost a week was huge. Getting runners on for the middle of the order to drive them in, was huge. Tonight's offense looked like it was clicking, putting the ball in play and not needing to hit the ball out of the park to score nine runs.

There were a couple of mistakes. Vizquel didn't advance the runners when the sacrifice was taken off, although he scorched the ball at the shallow third baseman. Dunn struck out, failing to advance Konerko to third after a leadoff double. But in both cases, the runners on base were bought in with subsequent hits.

Pierre stole a base after being caught five straight times and played well defensively in left. Teahen played well at third. Overall the defense was pretty good. Floyd wasn't flawless, but except for one hitter, he was tough when he needed to be.

I like Quentin hitting third. He seems to be where he was during his breakthrough season. Teahen and Vizquel were probably in the lineup because of the offensive slump. Maybe Beckham and Morel will benefit from the time off.

Vizquel only got two hits tonight, but he and Pierre were so key to the win tonight. He really has played well this year even with spotty playing time. Looking at Vizquel standing at second after stealing the base standing up after reaching first on a strike out, it struck me, he is the most interesting player in baseball.

"I don't play every game. But when I do, I play well.

"Go White Sox, my friends."

ChiSoxGirl
04-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Holy hell... a win! :o: I'm not going to break out the dancing bananas, though; only when I see the Sox play like they did tonight CONSISTENTLY, will I believe the slump is ovah. With that said, I'm thrilled with tonight's win and hope the Sox can at least make it a game against Verlander tomorrow night.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-21-2011, 09:43 PM

Be nice to go back to the days when we owned him.

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-21-2011, 09:44 PM
yep.......need 2/3 vs Kitties and then get at worst a split in NY....get home and try to make a little noise before going back on the road.

need to stay withing striking distance of .500 on this trip, and then at least get back to it during the brief homestand

Exactly.

doublem23
04-21-2011, 10:18 PM

Pretty much. Just remember that you may think you're being ridiculously over the top, but man, there are some weirdos here (myself included).

DirtySox
04-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Pretty much. Just remember that you may think you're being ridiculously over the top, but man, there are some weirdos here (myself included).

Come for the Sox talk, stay for the weirdos, homers, and snarky *******s.

WhiteSox5187
04-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Okay, one win is nice. Two is even better. Keep it going.

Frankfan4life
04-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! Nice way to end a losing streak. I am finally at peace. When I wished for a clutch hit, the Sox actually gave me one. When I wanted a double-play, poof, double-play. I saw a major league team on the field tonight. They pitched well, bunted for hits, stole bases and played good defense. I want to see this team show up again.

beasly213
04-21-2011, 11:03 PM
On twitter this morning Ozzie and a couple of the Sox players posted tweets about being positive and staying positive. I'm not saying I think all of the sudden the Sox are going to turn it around and win 13 in a row (Although that would be great!) It was nice to hear that members of the team we're doing their best to stay up beat during an awful stretch for the team.

JermaineDye05
04-21-2011, 11:23 PM
On twitter this morning Ozzie and a couple of the Sox players posted tweets about being positive and staying positive. I'm not saying I think all of the sudden the Sox are going to turn it around and win 13 in a row (Although that would be great!) It was nice to hear that members of the team we're doing their best to stay up beat during an awful stretch for the team.

2011 White Sox: All In

Stay positive.

canOcorn
04-21-2011, 11:44 PM
There were a couple of mistakes. Vizquel didn't advance the runners when the sacrifice was taken off, although he scorched the ball at the shallow third baseman. Dunn struck out, failing to advance Konerko to third after a leadoff double. But in both cases, the runners on base were bought in with subsequent hits.

The sac bunt shouldn't have been on in the first place and I know you would prefer Nate Schierholtz over Dunn, but, beyond that, you're just being ridiculous.

TDog
04-22-2011, 12:53 AM
The sac bunt shouldn't have been on in the first place and I know you would prefer Nate Schierholtz over Dunn, but, beyond that, you're just being ridiculous.

It's fundamental baseball. When you have a runner on second with none out with your team one run down, tied or holding the lead, you get him over to third, whether by bunting (which Vizquel might do on his own in that situation) or hitting to the right side. I prefer hitting to the right side, but many hitters prefer sacrificing because it doesn't lower their batting average. Vizquel was tipping that he was bunting to draw the third baseman in. Unfortunately, he hit the ball hard at the third baseman. It wasn't bad baseball, just tough luck. But it would have been tougher luck, as in triple play, if the runners had been in motion.

Dunn, to move Konerko to third, only had to pull the ball on the ground, something he often does, judging by the shift teams employ against him. I don't know if a deep fly to right would have advance Konerko, but he did challenge Fuld to get to second. As it turned out, Dunn didn't even put the ball in play.

Fortunately, tonight there were big hits down the order that brought those runs in anyway. But in many games, especially lately, those big hits weren't there.

If you are happy with the White Sox outfield defense, you are in the minority. You can dismiss me because I would have preferred the White Sox had acquired baseball's best defensive right fielder than a designated hitter, considering that pre-Dunn the Sox had plenty of designated hitters already and continue to lack outfield defense. But I care more about winning than home runs. I am concerned home runs won't be enough to win.

Of course, the Sox aren't going to improve their outfield defense because Quentin and Pierre are key components in the offense, I am hoping I am wrong and you will have the opportunity to dismiss me in teal again when Dunn leads the team to its second 21st century title.

Noneck
04-22-2011, 07:56 AM
If the Sox have a plus .500 road stand, that will impress me.

Nelfox02
04-22-2011, 08:06 AM
If the Sox have a plus .500 road stand, that will impress me.

considering they are just 1-3 at present, and 4 of the seven remaining are in NY? If they go on to have a plus .500 road stand that would SHOCK me. But here is to hoping that they do it, becasue a stretch like that would go a long way to showing that maybe this team is a different animal to what we have come to expect the last few seasons.

kufram
04-22-2011, 08:08 AM
I think the only way I can get through a baseball season is to approach it the way the players and manager say they do... take each game as it comes. I can't look ahead and decide how many games they need to win in the future nor can I look back and try to change the results from the past. I got to really enjoy almost the whole of 2010 that way. The poor start was frustrating, but only on a daily basis because I never wrote off the year during that time. The run was great fun and the end was disappointing but not the end of the world.

If I considering not making the playoffs every year a complete and unmitigated disaster I think my expectations are unrealistic.

hawkjt
04-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Sox absolutely had to have this game,and they got it.
Now,they can relax and go to Detroit,a place they have played well,and try to take the next step...win a series. Verlander makes it tough,but even if they lose that one,the next two are winnable.

Gotta crawl before you can walk or run.
Nice game..Go Sox!

Harry Chappas
04-22-2011, 08:49 AM

Please tell me you're joking.

Edit: Sorry - just read your other posts.

Harry Chappas
04-22-2011, 08:56 AM
About time. You can't lose 'em all. This team needs to play like this a bunch of games in a row and get this beginnings of a train wreck turned around.

Well, it's a good thing Ozzie kept him unused for an entire week while the rest of the bullpen went in full meltdown mode. Genius!

Yeah, because it was painfully obvious based on his 3 innings that he is the answer. :rolleyes:

soxfanatlanta
04-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Jeff Niemann really does suck, doesn't he? :tongue:

The Immigrant
04-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Jeff Niemann really does suck, doesn't he? :tongue:

He made us look silly last year.

SephClone89
04-22-2011, 09:59 AM

Then chances are he sucks, right?

Risk
04-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Thank gawd.

That was the first game in the last week that hasn't made me want to puke.

Risk

The Immigrant
04-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Then chances are he sucks, right?

Fair enough, particularly if that was the first time we faced him.

JB98
04-22-2011, 01:16 PM
The 1-2-3 DP that Floyd induced to escape the bases loaded jam in the bottom of the second inning was the key to the whole game.

If the Rays get a base hit there and take the lead, the Sox probably go into here-we-go-again mode. Instead, they get out of trouble. Everybody exhales. Then, they go out and score four runs the next half-inning and take command of the game.

soxfanatlanta
04-22-2011, 01:25 PM

Many pitchers did that last year.

Foulke You
04-22-2011, 01:39 PM
The 1-2-3 DP that Floyd induced to escape the bases loaded jam in the bottom of the second inning was the key to the whole game.

If the Rays get a base hit there and take the lead, the Sox probably go into here-we-go-again mode. Instead, they get out of trouble. Everybody exhales. Then, they go out and score four runs the next half-inning and take command of the game.
I agree. In addition to our offensive woes, the pitching staff has given up a lot of 2 out hits of late. It was nice to see Floyd dance out of danger despite not having his great command. I'm just glad this series is over. I hate Sam Fuld, I hate Matt Joyce, I hate cow bells, and I hate that dark depressing dome. Nice to get a win and move on.

SlowMotion
04-22-2011, 01:41 PM

That's what I was thinking. If Floyd didn't snag that it looked like it would've squeaked by Beckham or if not, a run would've scored anyway and the inning continues. It was a big point in the game and I think a little lucky, because so many things had to be just right for that to happen.

Niemann was pretty dominant all last year until injuries caught up to him. He's also a former first round pick. His delivery and mechanics still look out of whack this year. Wonder if he'll ever be the same, as shoulder injuries are the worst.