PDA

View Full Version : Thomas wonders what Manuel, team have planned for him

Jerry_Manuel
07-07-2002, 01:42 AM
Last thing I needed to see today.

Much much more, it's free (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-020706soxthomas.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dheadlines)
From the Trib:

Frank Thomas' benching may be a prelude to the eventual departure of the Big Hurt.

Or it may just be another motivational ploy by manager Jerry Manuel, who since his arrival in 1998 has enjoyed lighting a fire under Thomas and waiting to see how his slugger reacts.

Either way Manuel's decision to sit his $10.3 million designated hitter has rankled Thomas. He was visibly angry Saturday morning when he learned his name was not on the lineup card for the second straight day and conceded afterward that he's not seeing eye-to-eye with his manager.

"I would love to be on the same page [with Manuel]," Thomas said after the Sox's 7-3 victory over Cleveland gave All-Star Mark Buehrle his 12th win of the season. Jeff Liefer, filling in for Thomas as the DH, broke open the game with a three-run homer in the sixth inning.

"Some things are better off left unsaid," Thomas said. "If I knew this was the plan, of course I could've handled it a little better."

Jerry_Manuel
07-07-2002, 01:44 AM
Just for those of you who didn't click the link look at this:

Thomas removed himself from his teammates Saturday. He didn't sit in the dugout and was the only player other than the bullpen members not to go on the field for the postgame handshake line after Damaso Marte recorded the last out.

Team sources say Manuel's decision to bench his star has Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf's backing . Reinsdorf's relationship with Thomas has soured since Thomas staged a brief walkout in spring training of 2001 over what Thomas believes is an unfair contract clause.

Jerry_Manuel
07-07-2002, 01:50 AM
Here's a portion from another Trib article:

Liefer came into the game with a .208 batting average and said "it's not realistic" to think he's going to replace Thomas as the Sox's designated hitter.

But many of his teammates hope Liefer takes his opportunity and runs with it, especially after Thomas ranted before the game about not being in the lineup.

"I haven't gotten any grief," Liefer said. "The players and coaching staff have all been very supportive. They understand what I'm going through."

doublem23
07-07-2002, 01:59 AM
As if we need more bad player PR.

:reinsy
I won't pay 'em, and I won't let 'em trust me! But yes, I want to win a baseball championship.

CLR01
07-07-2002, 02:07 AM
BLA......Blown out of proportion. Sounds to me like the media is trying to push some of Thomas's buttons. Why the hell are they asking Liefer if he thinks he is going to replace Thomas as the DH anyway??? In a way i agree with Frank, JM could have let Frank know he was not going to be in the lineup again saturday and possibly sunday. Hopefully Frank works with Walt over the break and gets it going. If he does he will be right, Liefer will be back on the bench where he belongs and frank will be back as the DH.

Dan H
07-07-2002, 06:55 AM
If I were Thomas, I wouldn't be complaining about anything,including being benched. He is making $10 million a year and is hitting .239. He just isn't the presence he once was. I am sure he will get his chance to turn his season around. Let's see if his bat can back up his mouth. A leader this guy isn't.

LongDistanceFan
07-07-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
BLA......Blown out of proportion. Sounds to me like the media is trying to push some of Thomas's buttons. Why the hell are they asking Liefer if he thinks he is going to replace Thomas as the DH anyway??? In a way i agree with Frank, JM could have let Frank know he was not going to be in the lineup again saturday and possibly sunday. Hopefully Frank works with Walt over the break and gets it going. If he does he will be right, Liefer will be back on the bench where he belongs and frank will be back as the DH.

you are right, jm should have told him that he was not going to play. Second, frank is not playing all that well and he should realize that maybe someone should play that position, even if its until after the all star break. like this, when he comes back after he works with wallt h, he comes back like frank of old. Next i am not too happy with the way he sulked, if i remember right, he was talking about being a leader on the club. What does this shows to the people, esp after the fiasco of shamme last week.

btw i have really question the motive of the media.

Kilroy
07-07-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
...i am not too happy with the way he sulked, if i remember right, he was talking about being a leader on the club.

Frank didn't sulk. He said that him an Manuel weren't on the same page, presumably about whether he was playing yesterday or not. If Manuel didn't tell him that he was going to sit him again, that would simply be a statement of the truth that they weren't on the same page since Frank was expecting to play. And while the reporter goes thru great pains to tell you where Frank wasn't yesterday, there is not even the slightest attempt to say where he was. Was he in the cage? Was he watching film? They probably don't know or care. They didn't see him, and they had their "Frank Sulks" story...

RedPinStripes
07-07-2002, 10:49 AM
I don't know how much this is blown out of proportion, but i wouldn't put it past Frank. I was at the game yesterday and I noticed Frank was no where to be found. I personally think he's a dick for not being there with his team mates. He's got no right to bitch about anything with the way he looks at the plate. I 'll be pissed if he plays today. That will only prove that all you have to do is bitch in the papers and you will get what you want from JM.

This organization is so f-ed up!

RKMeibalane
07-07-2002, 11:07 AM
Next i am not too happy with the way he sulked, if i remember right, he was talking about being a leader on the club. What does this shows to the people, esp after the fiasco of shamme last week.

btw i have really question the motive of the media.

I think the situation involving Sosa and Rick Reilly is what prompted this article. The Tribune owns the Cubs, and they will do whatever it takes to cover for Sosa, even if it means fabricating a negative story about the Sox when there really isn't one.

I would like to know where Frank Thomas was yesterday. He may have been in the cage or in the clubhouse watching film. Of course, the Tribune neglected to mention any of this. They would much rather see Thomas crash and burn because anything that is said about him obscures the situation with Sosa.

Frank should not have been surprised to be sitting out yesterday. He is struggling. However, Manuel should have let him know that he would not be in the lineup. Frank likes what he does, and he wants to be out there playing. Manuel did the same thing to him during the Cubs' series at Wrigley when he changed his mind at the last minute.

Vsahajpal
07-07-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

I think the situation involving Sosa and Rick Reilly is what prompted this article. The Tribune owns the Cubs, and they will do whatever it takes to cover for Sosa, even if it means fabricating a negative story about the Sox when there really isn't one.

I would like to know where Frank Thomas was yesterday. He may have been in the cage or in the clubhouse watching film. Of course, the Tribune neglected to mention any of this. They would much rather see Thomas crash and burn because anything that is said about him obscures the situation with Sosa.

lmao!

Jerry_Manuel
07-07-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
lmao!

Batting 1st and playing center: Darren Lewis
Batting 3rd and playing right for the Cub today: Angel Echevarria

:)

Vsahajpal
07-07-2002, 12:06 PM
Angel has game, Ian.

Jerry_Manuel
07-07-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Angel has game, Ian.

As Spiff would say "pwned!"

:(:

Paulwny
07-07-2002, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Thomas removed himself from his teammates Saturday. He didn't sit in the dugout and was the only player other than the bullpen members not to go on the field for the postgame handshake line after Damaso Marte recorded the last out.

If Royce had done this, there wouldn't be enough nails on this board for the crucifixion.

sox_fan_forever
07-07-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

LOL

I agree though. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the article this morning.

Mathew
07-07-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Quote:

If Royce had done this, there wouldn't be enough nails on this board for the crucifixion.

If Royce didn't suck nobody would be looking for nails.

LongDistanceFan
07-07-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
[B]

Frank didn't sulk.

are you sooo sure?

And while the reporter goes thru great pains to tell you where Frank wasn't yesterday, there is not even the slightest attempt to say where he was. Was he in the cage? Was he watching film? They probably don't know or care.

a very good point but again are you sure that he wasn't sulking, he should've shown support to his teammates by being there.....

Paulwny
07-07-2002, 12:32 PM

a very good point but again are you sure that he wasn't sulking, he should've shown support to his teammates by being there.....

Agree, not a good sign for "team chemistry", if it does really exist.

LongDistanceFan
07-07-2002, 12:35 PM
Quote:

If Royce had done this, there wouldn't be enough nails on this board for the crucifixion. and i would be bring the hammer.......... you are right about that. i will admit my dislike for him and if you noticed that i didn't like the way big frank sulked....

Kilroy
07-07-2002, 12:42 PM
and i would be bring the hammer.......... you are right about that. i will admit my dislike for him and if you noticed that i didn't like the way big frank sulked....

Are you a lemming?? Paper says he sulked, so that's it? It may turn out to be true, but don't let what was printed today make up your mind.

LongDistanceFan
07-07-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Are you a lemming?? Paper says he sulked, so that's it? It may turn out to be true, but don't let what was printed today make up your mind. i am not basing this on what the paper had to say, i am using what i think is right and wrong, i took his actions as someone who is sulking........... that and i am remembering some of his past antics.

CLR01
07-07-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Here's a portion from another Trib article:

Liefer came into the game with a .208 batting average and said "it's not realistic" to think he's going to replace Thomas as the Sox's designated hitter.

But many of his teammates hope Liefer takes his opportunity and runs with it, especially after Thomas ranted before the game about not being in the lineup.

"I haven't gotten any grief," Liefer said. "The players and coaching staff have all been very supportive. They understand what I'm going through."

See now this is the problem i have. The media should have to write the question asked when printing a player response. When you read the quote from the trib above, an exact quote, you get the impression that the players and coaches are supportive of the benching of Frank and Lief taking his place. However read a few different articles and you learn that the support quote was in response to how they reacted after he his trade request. Such bull****, the trib seems to be trying to report a problem in the clubhouse that most likely is not there.

doublem23
07-07-2002, 02:36 PM
Quote:

:hitless
I'm not the best player in franchise history, Paul.

Paulwny
07-07-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

:hitless
I'm not the best player in franchise history, Paul.

LOL, I wonder if there was anyone worse ?

doublem23
07-07-2002, 02:42 PM

LOL, I wonder if there was anyone worse ?

:ritchie
Well, I think you can at least add my name to that ballot.

Paulwny
07-07-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

:ritchie
Well, I think you can at least add my name to that ballot.

Sorry, I was thinking of ss.
It's before your time but I just looked at the early 70's and found
Luis Alvarado-- .216
Rich Morales---. 206
Eddie Leon---- .228
Then Dent finally arrived
There may be light at the end of the tunnel.

raul12
07-07-2002, 03:14 PM

Sorry, I was thinking of ss.
It's before your time but I just looked at the early 70's and found
Luis Alvarado-- .216
Rich Morales---. 206
Eddie Leon---- .228
Then Dent finally arrived
There may be light at the end of the tunnel.

that was also before the ball was like a superball too. gives you an idea of just how good ted williams, babe ruth, etc really were.

pudge
07-07-2002, 03:30 PM
I have never called for Thomas' departure until right now. It's not because of what the media says, it's because I'm finally convinced he's done. He's never going to be the same, his bat has slowed down, mentally he's all messed up, and I just can't see him being a force again. Plus, Mags and Konerko have really taken the torch like never before. Now that PK is an All-Star, we have the new lumber to survive without Thomas - granted, Thomas is still a relative bargain, but if he is hurting clubhouse chemistry, I would no longer be sad to see him go.

guillen4life13
07-07-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I have never called for Thomas' departure until right now. It's not because of what the media says, it's because I'm finally convinced he's done. He's never going to be the same, his bat has slowed down, mentally he's all messed up, and I just can't see him being a force again. Plus, Mags and Konerko have really taken the torch like never before. Now that PK is an All-Star, we have the new lumber to survive without Thomas - granted, Thomas is still a relative bargain, but if he is hurting clubhouse chemistry, I would no longer be sad to see him go.

i dunno. i just feel like he's coming so close to making good contact, but he's always under it and it becomes a popout. lets see how he rebounds after the break (hopefully he has a session with Walt Hriniak), and if he is back to normal, I have a feeling you will want to take back your statement.

something tells me that we'll be burned if we give him up. lets just wait what happens after his visit with Hriniak. only then we should make these decisions.

also you have to remember that his injury is not fully healed. his muscles are not back to where they used to be, so i think we just need to wait this one out.

i've already given up on this season... we've had way too many people making recoveries from injuries. I think that next year we will start our division dynasty... but this year ain't it.

FanOf14
07-07-2002, 06:38 PM
I used to be a big Thomas fan in the early ninety's. I really do hope that he gets back into his old ways, but I am really wondering if and when. I also don't like this attitude we are hearing that he has in the clubhouse. From a little snippet of an interview Hawk showed today, apparently some of the players are questioning Thomas being a team player or not. I guess at least some players weren't too happy with him not being around when the won Saturday, then his being late to the park and then b!tching about not being in today's lineup. He needs to get his attitude in check and remember what he told the press either early this season or last, "This is a team sport." The team needs to work together to succeed as the assuredly won't win by being individuals.

denev1
07-07-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

i've already given up on this season... we've had way too many people making recoveries from injuries. I think that next year we will start our division dynasty... but this year ain't it.

As long as KW is GM, I don't see anything close to a dynasty on the South Side. Every time we'll get close, he'll find away to give half of our team away for one player who wouldn't be worth the sweat off my forehead.

Todd watch:After today's horrible performance, he is now six games under 500. Pathetic....

As for Frank, hopefully he'll work it out, and be a factor in the second half.