PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations In Order To Everyone At WSI

Lip Man 1
04-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Gang:

I take a lot of pride in this and I hope that everyone else will too.

I was exchanging e-mails with a member of the Chicago media tonight and said that the only thing keeping me sane right now is reading the postgame "official" recap threads.

I said that honestly some of the responses are among the most brilliant satirical pieces I've ever seen anywhere. Some of the posts are absolutely lyrical in their writing and have the impact of a stiletto through the heart. I passed along some of the better ones to them.

I told the person that I don't know if the Sox organization reads any of this but if they did, I don't know if they'd bust out laughing or get royally pissed off.

The media member wrote back and said that "the Sox organization reads everything especially WSI and Twitter..." (direct quote)

They then gave some examples of how they personally knew the organization does this. They didn't say who exactly visits the site (wouldn't it be wild if Kenny was one of them?)

I just think it's really cool that a bunch of folks who care about a club can make that kind of impact for better or worse, especially in today's world with thousands of sites, blogs, mainstream media outlets etc.

The place has come a long way since George Bova had a two or three page site in the late 90's hasn't it?

Congrats and thanks to all who work keeping the site going, contributing stories, interviews and historical pieces and you the fans for your time, passion and love of the franchise.

Lip

GoGoCrede
04-20-2011, 11:03 PM
That is really cool. Hello, Sox personnel. Would you mind trying to keep the hot dog buns warm?

Thank you,

GoGoCrede. :tongue:

Noneck
04-20-2011, 11:15 PM
It makes sense for the organization to read the pulse of the fans. It sure is a heck of a lot cheaper than paying for a marketing company to conduct focus groups. I'm sure the media uses it a lot also to get ideas for talk radios discussions and newspaper articles. It is ashame though that only Rongey and the Grobber post occasionally here, I wish the lurkers would occasionally post also.

Marqhead
04-20-2011, 11:22 PM
It makes sense for the organization to read the pulse of the fans. It sure is a heck of a lot cheaper than paying for a marketing company to conduct focus groups. I'm sure the media uses it a lot also to get ideas for talk radios discussions and newspaper articles. It is ashame though that only Rongey and the Grobber post occasionally here, I wish the lurkers would occasionally post also.

It's certainly smart for them to read this site, and as you said get the pulse of the fans. It's also very smart that most of them don't post here, as they would be jumped on in a heartbeat by not only the smart, rational and intelligent fans, but also by the outliers. Think of Rongey's postgame show in message board form. It would get ugly.

It's pretty damn cool to think that some of our posts and rants are being read by people within the organization.

Noneck
04-20-2011, 11:26 PM
It's also very smart that most of them don't post here, as they would be jumped on in a heartbeat by not only the smart, rational and intelligent fans, but also by the outliers. Think of Rongey's postgame show in message board form. It would get ugly.

Yea you are right. Sometimes when Rongey posts he gets drilled and deserves it but most of the time he gets drilled just because he is Rongey.

Soxfest
04-21-2011, 01:00 AM
Kudos!

thomas35forever
04-21-2011, 01:06 AM
The fake Tribune headlines are what attracted me to the forums in the first place, but I guess everything Lip just mentioned convinced me to sign up and it's why I'm still here. Thanks to everyone.

WhiteSox5187
04-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Did they mention me?!

Scottiehaswheels
04-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Cool, Jerry if you're listening... Do something about the blackout restrictions will ya or at least offer CSN on a provider other than DirecTV! Those of us down by Indy could really use the help! :D:

GoGoCrede
04-21-2011, 01:26 AM
It's certainly smart for them to read this site, and as you said get the pulse of the fans. It's also very smart that most of them don't post here, as they would be jumped on in a heartbeat by not only the smart, rational and intelligent fans, but also by the outliers. Think of Rongey's postgame show in message board form. It would get ugly.

It's pretty damn cool to think that some of our posts and rants are being read by people within the organization.

Maybe they do and they're frequent posters. :cool:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-21-2011, 05:57 AM
Glad to know our crazy, incoherent, adrenaline-fueled rants aren't going unnoticed :cool:

It's nice to see that with a little solidarity, people can really make their voices heard, even to a multimillion dollar franchise. The vast majority on this site come here because they love the Sox, and even though they express it in different ways, that love and passion for the team runs deep in their blood, sometimes for generations.

Fans get frustrated, yes (that much is obvious by looking at the site now). But the reason they are so aggravated is because they know this team can do much better, and they should be. No fan likes to see their team lose. Fans have different theories as to why they're struggling, and this board gives them a medium to vent and share their thoughts.

It's good to know that our cozy little corner of the internet is a source that the object of our devotion looks at to get a feel of fan reaction and to consider our thoughts. That makes me feel warm inside (or it could be the Taco Bell I ate last night, either or).

Thanks for sharing that with us, Lip. :gulp:

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Thanks Lip - that's really cool.

Ok, listen up White Sox front office....

Bring back the diamond patch.
Build the awesome gate entrance off 35th Street. Don't ask how - search this site, we've given you all the details.
Build up a RF home run porch. See above about how.
Turn the stadium to face north.
Update the scoreboard - when KC has a better scoreboard then us, something is wrong.

Not everything is teal. :tongue:

g0g0
04-21-2011, 08:17 AM
They then gave some examples of how they personally knew the organization does this. They didn't say who exactly visits the site (wouldn't it be wild if Kenny was one of them?)

Is the the poster who's always saying Coop will fix them? :tongue:

Chez
04-21-2011, 08:24 AM
I AM Brooks Boyer and the new patches stay! Got it? They stay!!

tebman
04-21-2011, 08:28 AM
It's good to know that somebody at the Sox reads WSI. It's smart for them to do that since they'll get unfiltered opinions.

Gratifying too that they appreciate the game recaps. We wonder when we do those whether they're like notes in a bottle that we throw out to sea, never to be seen or acknowledged. We're lucky that we're not constrained (much) in writing those and that we can vent or praise while having a few laughs.

:cool:

asindc
04-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I have always suspected that at least someone in the FO reads WSI on a regular basis. As other posters have mentioned, I also think it is a good thing that they do because it gives them a micrososm view of what the Sox fanbase thinks of the organization, from one extreme to the other. In fact, I would respect them a bit less if they decided not to take advantage of this site and use it as a resource.

That said, here is my message: JR, please tell your fellow shareholders (you know, the ones only in it for the money who rarely attend any games) that their investments will become much more valuable when the team sustains excellence over several years (i.e., see Philadelphia Phillies), so spending more money to enhance team operations (roster, minor league system, scouting, etc.) can be a great way to get a better return on investment. In other words, winnning cures all.

SI1020
04-21-2011, 08:51 AM
I have always suspected that at least someone in the FO reads WSI on a regular basis. As other posters have mentioned, I also think it is a good thing that they do because it gives them a micrososm view of what the Sox fanbase thinks of the organization, from one extreme to the other. In fact, I would respect them a bit less if they decided not to take advantage of this site and use it as a resource.

That said, here is my message: JR, please tell your fellow shareholders (you know, the ones only in it for the money who rarely attend any games) that their investments will become much more valuable when the team sustains excellence over several years (i.e., see Philadelphia Phillies), so spending more money to enhance team operations (roster, minor league system, scouting, etc.) can be a great way to get a better return on investment. In other words, winnning cures all. That is a home run. Now if only they will listen.

Jim Shorts
04-21-2011, 08:57 AM
As lot more members of the organization read these types of pages and sites than anyone of us would guess. They paid attention even before Ozzie and his kids learned to use the Internets. PR, Mktg, Game Ops and sales are the primary areas paying attention to our release. Baseball ops, KW, Hahn and JR, not so much. And they all talk.

They laugh, they take notes, but they mostly laugh. At the lunatics and the humorists. They know handles and one or two even post.

None of this should be surprising in today's age of instant communication

Mots09
04-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Really pretty cool! I've been lurking on this site for along time but not as much as I used to (having kids slowed me down). Still enjoy reading the game threads :gulp:

Go go sox

Bump34
04-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I wish our team had a site like this! It is indeed the best in the big leagues! Keep up the great work!!!

Gavin
04-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Don't know how much good it is that the organization can openly see that its most fervent fans are frustrated with the manager of the team and the cyclical nature of the way the Sox play each year and yet sit pat and do nothing reactionary. Then again, we're all most likely to be fans no matter what.

Chez
04-21-2011, 10:06 AM
I wish our team had a site like this! It is indeed the best in the big leagues! Keep up the great work!!!

Dave, for a change of pace, I listened to your broadcast last night (rather than DJ and Farmio). I enjoyed it, but why the hate for Stanford?

Lip Man 1
04-21-2011, 11:35 AM
In addition to Chris and Grobber, I know Phil Rogers and Joe Cowley and Dave Wills have posted here in the past. I'm not sure if there has been anybody else though.

And if memory serves WSI has a rule, strictly enforced about personal attacks against members of the media who post here. Daver takes that very seriously and simply doesn't allow it.

The site considers it a privilege (if I can use that word) that members of the mainstream media will visit and comment.

Lip

voodoochile
04-21-2011, 11:43 AM
In addition to Chris and Grobber, I know Phil Rogers and Joe Cowley and Dave Wills have posted here in the past. I'm not sure if there has been anybody else though.

And if memory serves WSI has a rule, strictly enforced about personal attacks against members of the media who post here. Daver takes that very seriously and simply doesn't allow it.

The site considers it a privilege (if I can use that word) that members of the mainstream media will visit and comment.

Lip

It's part of our cool factor that folks who get paid to cover the Sox and other sports think the site is cool enough to be contributing members.

fisk4ever
04-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks for that info. The Tomorrow's Cubune thread, especially, had some fierce contributions.

Bump34
04-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Dave, for a change of pace, I listened to your broadcast last night (rather than DJ and Farmio). I enjoyed it, but why the hate for Stanford?

I wouldn't call it hate... more like dislike...especially for those who went there and think they are way better than everyone else... and unfortunately I've bumped into several...also Quentin was kind of being a jerk to one of our writers who just wanted a note or two about fellow Cardinal Sam Fuld... who is a real good guy...

DirtySox
04-21-2011, 02:54 PM
That said, here is my message: JR, please tell your fellow shareholders (you know, the ones only in it for the money who rarely attend any games) that their investments will become much more valuable when the team sustains excellence over several years (i.e., see Philadelphia Phillies), so spending more money to enhance team operations (roster, minor league system, scouting, etc.) can be a great way to get a better return on investment. In other words, winnning cures all.

Aww. I was gonna post this. :(:

soxlady8
04-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks Lip - that's really cool.

Ok, listen up White Sox front office....

Bring back the diamond patch.
Build the awesome gate entrance off 35th Street. Don't ask how - search this site, we've given you all the details.
Build up a RF home run porch. See above about how.
Turn the stadium to face north.
Update the scoreboard - when KC has a better scoreboard then us, something is wrong.

Not everything is teal. :tongue:

Well said ... I sooo don't like the Sox patches :(

Daver
04-21-2011, 04:02 PM

Most of them don't post, but we have members from several newspapers on the east coast, a couple from a corporate IP address in Bristol, Conn., and a handful from the west coast media. Oh, and we have members from just about every news source in Chicago, as well as several radio hosts. Don't ask me to name names because I won't.

Oh, and I have known for years that White Sox front office follow this site, and there are a couple of them registered here.

I'm glad to see the writing staff of the TBGR get some credit, they all deserve it in a big way, especially since their boss is heartless bastard.

Fenway
04-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Gammons looks at it daily...

Most of them don't post, but we have members from several newspapers on the east coast, a couple from a corporate IP address in Bristol, Conn., and a handful from the west coast media. Oh, and we have members from just about every news source in Chicago, as well as several radio hosts. Don't ask me to name names because I won't.

Oh, and I have known for years that White Sox front office follow this site, and there are a couple of them registered here.

I'm glad to see the writing staff of the TBGR get some credit, they all deserve it in a big way, especially since their boss is heartless bastard.

ewokpelts
04-21-2011, 04:14 PM
i know from personal experience that sales and marketing look at posts.

Noneck
04-21-2011, 07:21 PM

Lip

Thank you both for the eye opening information and the correct form of discretion that was used regarding this matter.

fisk4ever
04-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Most of them don't post, but we have members from several newspapers on the east coast, a couple from a corporate IP address in Bristol, Conn., and a handful from the west coast media. Oh, and we have members from just about every news source in Chicago, as well as several radio hosts.

Have you ever had to ban any of them, or caution them about attendance comments?

JermaineDye05
04-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Lip

Rockabilly's identity is finally known.

Daver
04-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Have you ever had to ban any of them, or caution them about attendance comments?

Joe Cowley has been banned twice, and almost never posts under his current username.

DirtySox
04-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Rockabilly's identity is finally known.

I Loled.

rcescato
04-22-2011, 01:51 PM
nicely put. yeah I remember a lot of us on the old aol message boards before this was put on the web. Good job everyone.:bandance::bandance:

LongLiveFisk
04-24-2011, 08:32 AM
nicely put. yeah I remember a lot of us on the old aol message boards before this was put on the web. Good job everyone.:bandance::bandance:

Really? It's too bad I didn't know about that. I lived on AOL in the late '90s. :wink:

skobabe8
04-24-2011, 09:49 AM

I think I remember the marketing company that Brooks hired used to post, right?

sullythered
04-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Maybe they do and they're frequent posters. :cool:

The jig is up! I'm outta here!

Daver
04-24-2011, 10:20 AM
I think I remember the marketing company that Brooks hired used to post, right?

Yes, he posted here until his company lost the contract, he used our community to test run his ideas before they went public.

kaufsox
04-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Hey, If the Sox personel are reading, I lost a Phish hat about 10 years ago, any help?

rcescato
04-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Really? It's too bad I didn't know about that. I lived on AOL in the late '90s. :wink:

lip was on there

SoxandtheCityTee
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
The Tomorrow's Cubune thread, especially, had some fierce contributions.

I still think those up some times, though I never posted -- the habit of reading them grew on me and so new ones would just come to mind.

Ranger
05-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Yea you are right. Sometimes when Rongey posts he gets drilled and deserves it but most of the time he gets drilled just because he is Rongey.

I would consider "getting drilled" the same as being bombarded with no solid defense. That doesn't happen here, or anywhere for that matter. I've never made an argument that doesn't make sense. On the other hand, I've argued with many o' people that are incoherent. That's actually pretty frequent.

I feel like Noneck has been there before.

captain54
05-16-2011, 02:20 PM
On the other hand, I've argued with many o' people that are incoherent. That's actually pretty frequent.

If you're referring to the fans on WSI, I would say for the most part, that would be an innacurate statement. I think you're mistaking incoherency for folks that don't see things your way, or people that you believe to be beneath you in your baseball acumen.

If you're referring to radio show callers, well...that's kind of the nature of the beast, isn't it? There's always gonna be a freak factor or "Jerry Springer" factor with, for the most part, people who think its cool to get on the air and spout their opinions for free, no matter how non-sensical they may be.

So maybe you should have thought about that before you took the gig.

Either way, you get a free pass from me. Expressing your true opinion doesn't always mix well with collecting a regular paycheck.

Ranger
05-18-2011, 01:54 AM
I don't give any opinions that aren't my real opinions. Believe otherwise if you'd like, but you'd be wrong.

captain54
05-20-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't give any opinions that aren't my real opinions. Believe otherwise if you'd like, but you'd be wrong.

I don't doubt that when you express an opinion on the air, its what you believe. Big difference though, between that, and holding back, not airing you're true beliefs.

hsnterprize
05-22-2011, 07:40 PM
It's great to be a part of a great fan site like this. It's also great to know that people in the Sox organization read this and pay attention. Hopefully, they'll keep taking our suggestions, and keep making our team better.

LET's GO SOX!!!!!

Elgin Sox Fan
05-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Glad to know our crazy, incoherent, adrenaline-fueled rants aren't going unnoticed :cool:

It's nice to see that with a little solidarity, people can really make their voices heard, even to a multimillion dollar franchise. The vast majority on this site come here because they love the Sox, and even though they express it in different ways, that love and passion for the team runs deep in their blood, sometimes for generations.

Fans get frustrated, yes (that much is obvious by looking at the site now). But the reason they are so aggravated is because they know this team can do much better, and they should be. No fan likes to see their team lose. Fans have different theories as to why they're struggling, and this board gives them a medium to vent and share their thoughts.

It's good to know that our cozy little corner of the internet is a source that the object of our devotion looks at to get a feel of fan reaction and to consider our thoughts.

I had a really good feeling about this year going in. Thinking it would be sooooo much better than this sub .500 team. I'm one of those who has said KW & Ozzie can do no wrong in my book b/c of '05. However I can't take these 1/2 year teams we have had. Sure they will get hot as the year goes on but could be (probably is) too late!