PDA

View Full Version : *Official* What Offense? Rays 4, Sox 1 Postgame Puking and Pants Pissing Thread

Frater Perdurabo
04-20-2011, 08:12 PM
The beat goes on...

soltrain21
04-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Bums.

billyvsox
We must be hitting under .100 in eigth and ninth innings

rdwj
Wow - these are getting tough to watch

thomas35forever
I'm running out of things to say about this team. In fact, I couldn't say anything that hasn't been said by people on here already. That's how bad it is right now.

At least the bullpen hasn't had any leads to blow lately (though I'm pretty sure they're the cause of all this).

diehardRLsoxfan
:whatever:

VMSNS
04-20-2011, 08:14 PM
all in!!!!!!

Can we start playing the games on paper?

chisox12
We ****ing suck. Why does everyone with the Sox always seem to slump at the same time?

MarkZ35
This team is dead. Ever since those blown saves this team has lost any fight they had.

Chicago5oooh
Great thread title! This is a ****ing disgrace. How these guys can cash their checks and still sleep at night is astounding. Just garbage baseball.

Patrick134
This is all part of an elaborate plan to get more money out of that 7-11 advertising deal.

chisox12

That's an understatement

Frater Perdurabo
04-20-2011, 08:15 PM
We could just as easily re-post the same replies from yesterday's game. And Monday's game. And Sunday's game. And Saturday's game. And Friday's game.

KMcMahon817
Wow.

Hit the ball hard at times tonight with nothing to show for it. Need to win tomorrow and turn this around before it's too late.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
Any time this team wants to pull its head out of its ass is fine by me.

Oh, and :fireozzie

WhiteSox5187
Well, sometimes when you go all in you come up bust. It's a long season though but this looks like more of the same

thomas35forever
Great thread title! This is a ****ing disgrace. How these guys can cash their checks and still sleep at night is astounding. Just garbage baseball.
They make a lot more in six months than most of us make in a year. That's how.
This is all part of an elaborate plant get more money out of that 7-11 advertising deal.
Which has been gone for a couple of years now.

Nelfox02
04-20-2011, 08:16 PM
eh? I wonder what JR and KW are saying right now........

Quentin got the patented meaningless solo jack tonight.....pen was decent....but if our pitching gives up 2 runs its death....

same old song and dance

For the most part so far I felt this season was going to be very 2010 ish, now starting to doubt this team will even find that mid summer mojo before fading away.....will season be more 2007 ish?

Boondock Saint
04-20-2011, 08:16 PM
We could just as easily re-post the same replies from yesterday's game. And Monday's game. And Sunday's game. And Saturday's game. And Friday's game.

Yep. Not even three full weeks into the season, and I'm thinking about taking a week off of watching to calm my nerves. These guys suck.

Frater Perdurabo
04-20-2011, 08:17 PM
We ****ing suck. Why does everyone with the Sox always seem to slump at the same time?

Because most of the Sox hitters are fastball hitters. And Greg Walker, subscribing to the Hawk Harrelson hitting philosophy, coaches hitters to be great fastball hitters. This has been the same story for years.

Crooked Number
TIP YOUR CAP Copyright Chicago Whitesox 2007-2011

billyvsox
I really think the only answer to this season after season nightmare is to fire Ozzie. Do it now before it is too late

Nelfox02
04-20-2011, 08:18 PM
I really think the only answer to this season after season nightmare is to fire Ozzie. Do it now before it is too late

not. gonna. happen.

guillensdisciple
04-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Can I take back my preseason predictions?

thomas35forever
04-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Did you not read the game thread? There were plenty of reasons listed of why Ozzie (or anyone for that matter) is not getting fired anytime soon.

Hartman
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_E8BpJEni77I/SQM9_PZ0kfI/AAAAAAAAF4A/yngdErDabeA/s400/tip+of+the+hat.jpg

johnnyg83
This is the road trip of my discontent ...

tstrike2000
Same Sox time, same Sox channel.

chisox12
Can I take back my preseason predictions?

I think a lot of people would like to take back their preseason predictions at this point...

doublem23
Pretty stoked I didn't watch an inning of this garbage.

LoveYourSuit
Here's my take on this:

I don't care anymore. I don't race home from work and make White Sox baseball an appointment as I have done in the past.

It's just not worth my time.

This is the earliest for me White Sox baseball has become irelevant to me. It has more to do with having seen this movie almost every year since 2005.

Now this is just me. It doesn't matter, I don't matter.

Where it will matter is for White Sox financials. White Sox are in deep **** financially if they don't get their act together. For this reason, I think heads will roll early this year and this whole JR being loyal crap goes out the door.

Soxman219
04-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Sometimes you just gotta tip your cap!!!!

04-20-2011, 08:22 PM
The 2011 White Sox: Losing is an option

DirtySox
04-20-2011, 08:25 PM
This team hasn't had a lead in 51 innings.

chisox12
04-20-2011, 08:26 PM

Wow. That's ****ing pathetic.

tstrike2000
04-20-2011, 08:26 PM
White Sox Baseball: We're all in to sacrifice bunting.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-20-2011, 08:27 PM

:o:

That's a lot of cap-tipping!

hula
04-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Beltin' Bill Melton must be pulling his gotee out one wisker at a time.... :mad:

Crooked Number
04-20-2011, 08:28 PM

After having one in every game the first 14 (or something)

Jekyll and Hyde in every aspect:

Great Hitting / Horrific Bullpen

**** Hitting / Ok Pen (lately)

Thank the Sox for waking up the Rays by the way....that 3 run bomb by Dan ****ing Johnson turned around their club. By the way, he still only has one hr.

Why do other teams closers make it look so ****ing easy?

GlassSox
ALL IN trouble

ChiSoxGal85
04-20-2011, 08:29 PM
They're All In Deep ****.

I haven't been able to watch past about the 4th inning for the last few games. Same ****, different day. I can't bear to watch the errors and the lack of execution at the plate over and over again.

They better right this ship right quick. Fans aren't going to flock to the Cell when they come back from their road trip if they keep playing like this.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-20-2011, 08:32 PM
At least Rongey's show will be interesting...

soltrain21
04-20-2011, 08:32 PM

Kyle ****ing Farnsworth of all people.

thomas35forever
04-20-2011, 08:33 PM
They better right this ship right quick. Fans aren't going to flock to the Cell when they come back from their road trip if they keep playing like this.
Absolutely. If it takes attendance numbers dropping back to what they were in '98 and '99 to get ownership to make a major move, so be it. I'll still go to the ballpark once or twice this year, but everyone else has many other things they'd rather do in the summer than watch a team that's underachieving so badly. And if things get really bad from a financial standpoint because of it, the front office will have nothing to blame but itself.

Dan H
04-20-2011, 08:34 PM

You are right about that. How many weak-kneed three up, three down innings can one stand?

veeter
04-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Because they're doing it against the Sox!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Kyle ****ing Farnsworth of all people.

Haven't the Sox historically killed Farnsworth too?

Quentin08
04-20-2011, 08:38 PM
First Sox game I've refused to watch in recent memory.. my blood pressure can't take it anymore.

It's hard to believe they've lost 7 in a row and haven't led in 51 innings after the good start we had. This team needs a big change in mentality. In other words, it's time for Ozzie to go.

LoveYourSuit
04-20-2011, 08:40 PM
At least Rongey's show will be interesting...

I'm tired of his act too. He's a moutpiece for the franchise, finds no fault to anything that goes wrong with this team.

shingo10
04-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Just because the team is playing terribly and looks to be completely awful doesn't change the fact that the Sox (specifically JR and KW) really did go "all in." They put a lot of resources into trying to build a winner. So I'm not going to fault them for that. I'm not gonna make fun of their marketing campaign.

What I am upset about is the product. They coaching staff and players had better start taking responsibility. You don't spend as much money as the Sox did and not have talent. It's there. Somewhere. Unfortunately they are in some deep trouble. Hope it turns around soon.

Hitmen77
04-20-2011, 08:45 PM

:tiphat:

Yep, same old story for several seasons in a row. Players come and go and this team continually underachieves with the exception of a few hot streaks.

jshanahanjr
04-20-2011, 08:46 PM
The Sox can get off the deck just like the Rays have done. It's a long season, and they have too much talent to be so bad. Rios can't be horrible the whole year, even though he might be the most overpaid guy in the league. Hits will start falling for Juan, and Peavy will come back strong. Hang in there Sox fans, it's a long ride.

thomas35forever
04-20-2011, 08:47 PM
The Sox can get off the deck just like the Rays have done. It's a long season, and they have too much talent to be so bad. Rios can't be horrible the whole year, even though he might be the most overpaid guy in the league. Hits will start falling for Juan, and Peavy will come back strong. Hang in there Sox fans, it's a long ride.
We have a former Cy Young Award winner struggling to come back with us in case you forgot.

Hitmen77
04-20-2011, 08:49 PM

I'd like to know why this team has us saying this exact same thing year after year.

jshanahanjr
04-20-2011, 08:49 PM
At least his arm fell off. What's Rios excuse for being horsebleep?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Just because the team is playing terribly and looks to be completely awful doesn't change the fact that the Sox (specifically JR and KW) really did go "all in." They put a lot of resources into trying to build a winner. So I'm not going to fault them for that. I'm not gonna make fun of their marketing campaign.

What I am upset about is the product. They coaching staff and players had better start taking responsibility. You don't spend as much money as the Sox did and not have talent. It's there. Somewhere. Unfortunately they are in some deep trouble. Hope it turns around soon.

No one's mad at JR or KW (well, as much...his decisions on contracts, namely the extensions for Ozzie and Teahen, have been borderline asinine). Everyone is pissed at Ozzie because every team he touches becomes a fundamental-lacking, shapeless mess that is either all or nothing since late-2006. The liability has to fall somewhere...I'm tired of seeing no accountability for their failures.

I know JR's a loyal guy, and he is the last one to deserve this result. But there needs to be a line drawn somewhere...and maybe Ozzie needs to be shown the door.

Thanks for 2005, but you have outlived your usefulness, Ozzie.

TheOldRoman
04-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Why do other teams closers make it look so ****ing easy?Because instead of facing hitters going up there with a strategy to take what the pitcher gives and get a hit, they go up against guys squeezing the bat so hard sawdust comes out, trying to hit 5 run homers with nobody on base. Oh, and:

http://img.movieberry.com/static/photos/38964/poster.jpg

LITTLE NELL
04-20-2011, 08:52 PM

I'm not counting on a strong Peavy this year. I think its going to take another off season of rest to come back from this injury. I read somewhere today that the healing process is 12 to 18 months.

chisox12
04-20-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm tired of his act too. He's a moutpiece for the franchise, finds no fault to anything that goes wrong with this team.

Yep, the postgame shows are pretty much unlistenable at this point. Rongey will NEVER hold anyone accountable.

Dan H
04-20-2011, 08:55 PM

I feel the same way. I've been a big Reinsdorf critic in the past, but I thought they had good off season, and I think the team has far more talent than it is showing. There is still time to turn it around but the team can't wait that long.

But they are going to turn it around some of their half-assed thinking. In the eighth, Dunn toyed with the idea of bunting since the shift was on and the third baseman was nowhere to be found. That's idiotic. He's not paid big money to drop down surprise bunts. So, in the end, he lets a fast ball fly by him and ends up whiffing on some slow stuff a foot outside. Stop it already with this nonsense and swing the bat. Of course Stoney and Hawkeroo thought it was a great idea. Even if it worked, what would you have had? A big slow guy on first with two out. Brillant. Maybe the team should make Stoney the GM.

Gammons Peter
04-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Yep, the postgame shows are pretty much unlistenable at this point. Rongey will NEVER hold anyone accountable.

Post game is unlistenable as is Hawks TV broadcast. I need to get away from this crap for a while...how sad is that, it's still April

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-20-2011, 08:58 PM

Except the fans for "not knowing the game".

I understand that it's his job to be a spin doctor, and as I listen now, he is making a good point about Humber being better than expected.

However, he's gotta realize that fans are frustrated. Hearing Rongey's "Ozzie farts sunshine, lollipops and rainbows" act over and over again and dismissing callers who are frustrated with the lack of quality on the field, and not wanting Rongey to blow smoke up their asses, does not make any other fan feel better.

Noneck
04-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Yep, same old story for several seasons in a row. Players come and go and this team continually underachieves with the exception of a few hot streaks.

Probably beating a dead horse here but once again, Is there any clubhouse leadership on this team? The difference this year is another choirboy was added, Dunn. I dont think Ozwaldos shtick doesnt cuts it anymore, only does in his mind. Years ago some thought that maybe Beckham would be the guy, not with his production level. Management looks at stats and a players wholesomeness when signing guys (except for the manager) but a team does need a vocal clubhouse leader. This team seems to be void of that once again. I think thats why we see the sos year after year.

soxlady8
04-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Well, sometimes when you go all in you come up bust. It's a long season though but this looks like more of the same

Well said ... many times those pocket aces do get cracked . Alot of times it is by the person who decides to gamble with 10-2 off suit (or some other lousy starting hand ). You are ahead to the turn where a 10 shows up , then on the river the person gets a 2. Runner Runner 10-2 and those pocket aces ... well they were useless : (

LITTLE NELL
04-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Probably beating a dead horse here but once again, Is there any clubhouse leadership on this team? The difference this year is another choirboy was added, Dunn. I dont think Ozwaldos shtick doesnt cuts it anymore, only does in his mind. Years ago some thought that maybe Beckham would be the guy, not with his production level. Management looks at stats and a players wholesomeness when signing guys (except for the manager) but a team does need a vocal clubhouse leader. This team seems to be void of that once again. I think thats why we see the sos year after year.

Everytime they showed Ozzie in the dugout tonight he had a ''I don't give a ****" look on his face.

chisox12
04-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Everytime they showed Ozzie in the dugout tonight he had a ''I don't give a ****" look on his face.

I dunno about that. To me, it looked like a "I'm about to ****ing kill someone" face.

beasly213
04-20-2011, 09:08 PM

Oh come on. I'm just as pissed as anyone about this and I wouldn't be pissed if Ozzie was fired.. but do you honestly think he doesn't care? :rolleyes:

What makes you think he wasn't cursing and yelling in the tunnel away from the cameras?

IronFisk
04-20-2011, 09:10 PM
This team is dead. Ever since those blown saves this team has lost any fight they had.

bingo...can you blame them? doesn't instill much confidence, eh?

chisox12
04-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Post game is unlistenable as is Hawks TV broadcast. I need to get away from this crap for a while...how sad is that, it's still April

Hawk has been brutal. My girlfriend keeps asking me why I'm watching Sox games with the sound off.

Luckily the Bulls and Hawks are on tomorrow night so I won't have to suffer through any of this garbage.

amsteel
04-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I was gonna go the games against the O's next Fri and Sat but this team is giving no reason to spend time and money on them.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Oh come on. I'm just as pissed as anyone about this and I wouldn't be pissed if Ozzie was fired.. but do you honestly think he doesn't care? :rolleyes:

What makes you think he wasn't cursing and yelling in the tunnel away from the cameras?

Well, if someone says "they can fire me if they want...I got tons of money", then I think it's a safe bet that they don't care.

Noneck
04-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Well, if someone says "they can fire me if they want...I got tons of money", then I think it's a safe bet that they don't care.

Or he is just full of crap.

tstrike2000
04-20-2011, 09:17 PM

The most emotion I've seen from Ozzie so far in Tampa is when he put a piece of tape over his mouth yesterday to tell his pals Lou Piniella and Don Zimmer to be quiet in the stands. He's a class act.

johnnyg83
04-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Why do we keep Walker? I know the Hitting Coach doesn't mean much, but if he doesn't mean much then we won't miss him. And maybe someone will realize there's some accountability.

Maybe this is revisionist history but do you recall a month or two when everyone had it figured out? When it wasn't one or two guys carrying the rest of the underperformers? Sure those names may have changed, but the approach, the strategy, doesn't seem to work. It's like they're successful despite the coach.

There is too much hitting talent on this team to score 9 runs in 6 games. That's a ****ing embarrassment.

captain54
04-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Except the fans for "not knowing the game".

I agree 100%.... the condescending attitude towards the fans and fact that the Sox front office and coaching/managerial crew can do no wrong, makes that show difficult to listen to.

Quentin08
04-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Hawk has been brutal. My girlfriend keeps asking me why I'm watching Sox games with the sound off.

Luckily the Bulls and Hawks are on tomorrow night so I won't have to suffer through any of this garbage.

I know what you mean. Luckily the Bulls take some of the pain away, but still this depressing feeling is still lurking in the forefront of my mind, because I was really expecting a killer summer on the south side.

I'm going to Indy this weekend to see the Bulls, and I'll probably be checking in on the scores throughout the weekend to see how the Sox are doing. Wish I could tune them out for a weekend but I can't help it. I'll probably be going crazy at Conseco Fieldhouse, high-fiving some other Bulls fans in the upper deck and yelling "Sweeeep", then my mind will switch over to the Sox, so I'll have to check my phone, and then all the sudden my buddies will think I'm bipolar.

The Immigrant
04-20-2011, 09:26 PM
bingo...can you blame them? doesn't instill much confidence, eh?

They haven't shown any fight since Ozzie threw his entire bullpen under the bus following the day game against Oakland. The Sox had won every game following the previous bullpen meltdowns, so I find it hard to pin the current malaise on the bullpen. Someone's act has gotten beyond old and it's taking a toll on the team.

ChiSoxGirl
04-20-2011, 09:31 PM
They make a lot more in six months than most of us make in a year. That's how.

They make a lot more in one GAME than most of us make in a year! I know this because I do a project with my fifth graders every year around this time on the salaries of professional baseball players. For example, both Konerko and Dunn made $74,074.07 per game, and over $8200 per inning last season. :mg: Wrap your brain around that one, kids!

Oh yeah... this team blows. It's like Groundhog Day with them -- the same **** day in and day out. I'm so over their lackadaisical play.

Lip Man 1
04-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Like Aerosmith sang, "same old story, same old song and dance my friend..."

Noneck:

You and I have been asking the same question for years haven't we....why are their no vocal, emotional leaders on this club? Guys who simply won't put up with this **** year after year and will call teammates or whomever on the carpet for it.

And in another thread JB's point about mentally soft guys is also valid. The slightest sign of trouble, of difficulty and they tighen up and try to hit nine run home runs, nine miles. Oh it's too cold, oh we don't know this pitcher, oh we can't bunt, oh we can't pull off a hit and run. Please...

I don't know what to say anymore, we've seen this time and time again.

Lip

Medford Bobby
04-20-2011, 09:33 PM

more like:
TIP YOUR CRAP Copyright Chicago Whitesox 2007-2011 :bandance:

Rikirk
04-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Maybe the Sox are trying to get all of their losses out of the way early...

No...?

Oh well, I tried.

SoxSpeed22
04-20-2011, 09:40 PM
http://doobious.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Pearl_landlord.jpg
I'm tired of this crap!

I can't believe it's only April and I am already sick of baseball. This might be the softest White Sox team I've rooted for.

sox1970
04-20-2011, 09:42 PM
One-ninth of the season in the books...only on pace to lose 99 games.

Give Kenny another 10 mil. Get Griffey out of retirement.

VMSNS
04-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Speaking of Ozzie and coaches, did anyone catch the pre-game interviews on WSCR yesterday and today? Ozzie was on yesterday and said this...

"I love watching the Rays play baseball. Hopefully we can win tonight."

Now contrast that with what Cooper said today...

"I'm not surprised with how we started off. No...I'm disappointed and pissed off about it. We need a good start out of Humber tonight, and we also have to score just one more run than our opponents."

It's refreshing to know that at least someone on this team (Cooper) is actually competitive and is showing signs of life. I'm sick of all the indifference and passive attitudes of the players/coaches. Or like it's all fun and games. Someone or something needs to shake this team up big time, and wake their asses up so they start behaving and playing like a $125 million team that should be running away with the division at this point.

russ99
04-20-2011, 09:46 PM
I know what you mean. Luckily the Bulls take some of the pain away, but still this depressing feeling is still lurking in the forefront of my mind, because I was really expecting a killer summer on the south side.

And who's to say we still can't have one?

This slump sucks and tonight's game hurt worse than the others since the pitchers pitched fairly well and the hitters clobbered the ball, but couldn't get anything to work. Years past should tell us that a 7 game stretch of bad April baseball doesn't doom the whole season.

Does anyone really think Cleveland or KC will be leading this division come August?

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

tstrike2000
04-20-2011, 09:48 PM

This slump sucks and tonight's game hurt worse than the others since the pitchers pitched fairly well and the hitters clobbered the ball, but couldn't get anything to work. Years past should tell us that a 7 game stretch of bad April baseball doesn't doom the whole season.

Does anyone really think Cleveland or KC will be leading this division come August?

No, but Detroit or Minnesota might be.

Nelfox02
04-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Oh it's too cold, oh we don't know this pitcher, oh we can't bunt, oh we can't pull off a hit and run. Please...

I don't know what to say anymore, we've seen this time and time again.

Lip

dont forget cant play well in domes! I think Garfien or Melton actualy said that on the post game show....blaming the dome for this ****....

Lip Man 1
04-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Russ:

It doesn't matter who is leading the division. The Sox are again, burying themselves and forcing themselves to play catch up at a white hot pace, which nobody can sustain forever.

The Sox went 26-5 last summer (tying the 1951 Sox for the best 31 game stretch in franchise history...) What did it get them in the end?

You have got to be consistent, first day of the season...last day of the season.

The Sox are the complete antithesis of consistent except for the fact that three years in a row they've gotten off to bad starts.

Oh and they can't execute fundamentals if somebody put a gun to their heads. They're consistent about that at least!

Lip

Nelfox02
04-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Years past should tell us that a 7 game stretch of bad April baseball doesn't doom the whole season.

I would argue that our crummy start in 2010 played a big role in not making the post season...yeah we didnt exactly finish strong and played like utter **** vs the Twins...but we needed a MONSTER June/early July to play out of the hole we dug

you cant count on having stretches like we had in the early summer to atone for playing like hot garbage for the first 2 months of the season....tough way to make a living.

russ99
04-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Russ:

It doesn't matter who is leading the division. The Sox are again, burying themselves and forcing themselves to play catch up at a white hot pace, which nobody can sustain forever.

The Sox went 26-5 last summer (tying the 1951 Sox for the best 31 game stretch in franchise history...) What did it get them in the end?

You have got to be consistent, first day of the season...last day of the season.

The Sox are the complete antithesis of consistent except for the fact that three years in a row they've gotten off to bad starts.

Oh and they can't execute fundamentals if somebody put a gun to their heads. Their consistent about that at least!

Lip

We're 7-11 with 144 games left to play. Given the obvious talent level on the club, don't you think this is a little bit of an overreaction?

We're also a game ahead of the Twins and one and a half behind the Tigers, hence my KC/Cleveland comment.

This slump stinks to high heaven, but it's not the end of the world. This team will still play good baseball.

I hope we get off the schneid tomorrow, since Verlander's up for the Tigers on Friday.

Red Barchetta
04-20-2011, 09:57 PM
I've watched the last few games through the local Rays feed and it's been brutal. I'm not sure if the Chicago broadcast played this up, however in the fifth inning of tonight's game, Cooper made a call to the bullpen to get some pitchers warmed up. No one moved and they were all joking and laughing. Cooper went nuts and Beuhrle ran down to the bullpen to get tell the pitchers to start warming up.

Turned out Cooper used not one, but two wrong dugout phones to call the bullpen. The cameras zoomed in on the phones which were clearly marked in large letters; "Clubhouse" and "Pressbox". The bullpen phone was the big blue phone that Cooper failed to use. That's how bad it got!

I wasn't expecting too much at the start of the season. I wasn't expecting Peavy back until the All-Star game, however all I really wanted was a .500 record coming out of April. I'm getting really tired of the streaky, all-or-nothing approach of this team. They looked absolutely dead tonight. I think AJ argued balls and strikes just to get the rest of the night off.

Per the earlier thread on Ozzie, I can't help but wonder what a manager like Joe Madden could achieve with the "talent" of the White Sox. Look what the Rays have done with an under-sized fourth outfielder ex-Cub! I really think most of the players think anything out of Ozzie's mouth is just noise.

Soxfest
04-20-2011, 09:57 PM
This team is very predictable and boring pretty much since mid 2006! They have hit like crap since then and are kings of the solo HR!

soxfan1965
04-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Could someone like Don Wakamatsu (now the Blue Jays bench coach) manage this team in 2012? When did he play for the Sox, in the early 90's?

SlowMotion
04-20-2011, 10:10 PM

Cmon now. Stranger things have happened. This is baseball and it's talk like that that makes you look silly come October.

Look at what a lot of people thought about the Sox before the season started. One of the best rotations in the AL if not mlb, will have no problem scoring runs, blah blah blah blah. The thing that sticks out about the Royals for example is they lead the league in batting average, which I think they did last year or came close to it (or at least did for a long time). Their pitching is their weakness, as they've showed they can score runs and hit for average.

If Buehrle keeps pitching like an innings eater instead of a truly reliable guy you can count on to get you a win, Gavin keeps throwing one gem per 3 stinkers, Edwin doesn't take a leap and stays his same inconsistent self, etc, this team is a polished turd.

If Masterson and Carmona and Asdrubal and all those young guys take leaps this year, they could easily make the playoffs. Same could be said for KC and guys like Alex Gordon others like Melky and Franceour who have been highly touted guys that never really delivered for one reason or another.

It is way too early to tell anything at this point, but what is maddening about the Sox is just the incompetence up and down the organization, and the fact that we are close to it makes their faults all the more glaring.

Viva Medias B's
04-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Could someone like Don Wakamatsu (now the Blue Jays bench coach) manage this team in 2012? When did he play for the Sox, in the early 90's?

Please tell me you are kidding.

Lip Man 1
04-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Yes he had a cup of coffe with the team.

Russ:

History shows other "talented" Sox teams picked by the "experts" to win it all (or depending on the year to make the postseason...) I can think of 1968, 1973, 1984, 1995 immediately come to mind.

Things didn't go so well for those "talented" clubs.

Karma is a bad thing. I've always said that in baseball more than any other team sport, how you start is so important mentally because unlike basketball, football and hockey, you simply don't get two, three, six days (in football's case) off to get away, clear your head and regroup...it's one game after another, always, always, always...for six months.

There's no time to go over things, try new things, do a lot of additional work. It's really, really hard to get out of a hole when you dig one in baseball.

I don't think Cleveland or Kansas City will be there in the end either, of course nobody thought the 69 Mets would do what they did or closer to home the 1990 White Sox, picked for dead last by just about every major publication, would win 94 games.

Lip

gogosox675
04-20-2011, 10:16 PM

No, but all these early wins for those guys are going to add up when the Sox are battling with them for 3rd place.

johnnyg83
04-20-2011, 10:25 PM
I remember saying ten, twenty times that Detroit wouldn't keep up their pace in 2006.

soltrain21
04-20-2011, 10:27 PM
No, but all these early wins for those guys are going to add up when the Sox are battling with them for 3rd place.

Especially since we suck against those two teams anyway.

JB98
04-20-2011, 10:30 PM
I remember saying ten, twenty times that Detroit wouldn't keep up their pace in 2006.

Or, look at San Diego last year. They were supposed to suck, but they contended all the way until the last game of the season.

You can't assume a team is going to blow just because experts say they're gonna blow. We're already six games back of Cleveland.

SlowMotion
04-20-2011, 10:31 PM

:thumbsup:

RockJock07
04-20-2011, 10:44 PM
The problem with this all in strategy is that there really isn't the resources to go and fix this.

As someone on here yesterday mentioned, the hitting was supposed to be a strength and that has gone cold which is very alarming. Now this pace isn't going to continue but slumping and not leading for 51 innings are 2 different things.

I always wait for an ozzie freak out at least 2 times during a season but they feel so forced now that it seems like they don't even effect the players anymore. If Ozzie wants to make a point, sit Konerko/Dunn/Rios for 3-4 games if they are struggling. Actions speak louder then words.

GoGoCrede
04-20-2011, 11:05 PM

Haha agreed. Glad I was at work and missed the entire thing.

Frankfan4life
04-20-2011, 11:51 PM
If you think watching the game on TV is brutal, it doesn't come close to being at the game. Two runs in three games??? Give me a break! There was nothing to be hopeful about. Even when we got the first two base runners on in the fifth inning, I still didn't expect anything good to happen.

I would like to see the Sox reach out and slap at the ball more rather than taking hard swings. When you make contact good things can happen. Also, the Rays are playing remarkable defense. I'd also like to see the Sox leave their feet more and start diving for some of these balls (and catching them, of course).

I don't even know what to say anymore. I'm just so desperate for a win -- any kind of a win.

BainesHOF
04-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Memo to Hawk:

It's not all good.

ClutchHarold#3
04-21-2011, 01:52 AM
Trying really hard to stay optimistic...

hawkjt
04-21-2011, 02:10 AM
When Alex swung and hit that ball in the first with the bases loaded,I really though he had hit a grandslam....but it did not even make the wall...I could not believe it. After that ,I had a sinking feeling.

They need to win a game,now! Then win a series,then get back to .500 and they can get back to normal...right now,it is like a bad nightmare,night after night...like deja vu nite after nite...not real.

ShooterMcGavin
04-21-2011, 02:40 AM
Another 0-4 night for Alex Rios. I don't have much confidence in him this year.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-21-2011, 04:42 AM

I got a Strat-o-Matic board I can contribute!

Thome25
04-21-2011, 06:22 AM
I can't do it anymore.

:facepalm:

I'm a diehard fan but, this team is quickly becoming almost unwatchable.

They had better put this thing back together in a hurry or we're looking at a lost season folks....:angry:

gobears1987
04-21-2011, 06:39 AM
I'm really regretting plopping down $120 for the MLB.tv premium package. Oh well, I'm watching the Dodgers game from last night right now and seeing what good baseball is like.

cws05champ
04-21-2011, 07:11 AM
We're 7-11 with 144 games left to play. Given the obvious talent level on the club, don't you think this is a little bit of an overreaction?

We're also a game ahead of the Twins and one and a half behind the Tigers, hence my KC/Cleveland comment.

This slump stinks to high heaven, but it's not the end of the world. This team will still play good baseball.

I hope we get off the schneid tomorrow, since Verlander's up for the Tigers on Friday.

This is why everyone was going nuts over the blown games earlier in the year. If the Sox had come out of that stretch 10-2 or 9-3 they'd be at or still over .500. Then these streaks don't hurt as much...but you blow those late inning games AND you have these bad streaks, then what do you have? :shocked:

Lip Man 1
04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
I was reminded of this last night.

It was almost three yeas ago (early 2008 season) with the White Sox in Tampa that Ozzie had his meltdown and ripped Kenny for putting together a (paraphrasing) 'one dimensional team that can't execute fundamentals offensively or defensively.'

Now I don't expect Ozzie to do that again (not if he wants to keep his job) but it does seem to indicate that with the White Sox the more things change (i.e. new players) the more things stay the same (i.e. 'one dimensional team that can't execute fundamentals offensively or defensively.'

2008 turned out alright in the end 89 wins / playoff appearance. Maybe history will repeat itself.

Lip

TheOldRoman
04-21-2011, 11:22 AM
I was reminded of this last night.

It was almost three yeas ago (early 2008 season) with the White Sox in Tampa that Ozzie had his meltdown and ripped Kenny for putting together a (paraphrasing) 'one dimensional team that can't execute fundamentals offensively or defensively.'

Now I don't expect Ozzie to do that again (not if he wants to keep his job) but it does seem to indicate that with the White Sox the more things change (i.e. new players) the more things stay the same (i.e. 'one dimensional team that can't execute fundamentals offensively or defensively.'

2008 turned out alright in the end 89 wins / playoff appearance. Maybe history will repeat itself.

LipThe only things one dimensional are Ozzie's managing philosphy and Greg Walker's coaching. The team isn't slow anymore. It isn't all power hitters, but STOP HAVING THEM ****ING BUNT so much. Adjust to the team you have, Oz.

VMSNS
04-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Another 0-4 night for Alex Rios. I don't have much confidence in him this year.

He hit the **** out of the ball last night. Unfortunately, it was right at someone, and Fuld had a good jump on that bases loaded shot.

It sucks that he's having a rough year so far, but I think he'll come around soon enough. I'm more worried about Gordon's hitting, to be honest.

JB98
04-21-2011, 12:37 PM
The only things one dimensional are Ozzie's managing philosphy and Greg Walker's coaching. The team isn't slow anymore. It isn't all power hitters, but STOP HAVING THEM ****ING BUNT so much. Adjust to the team you have, Oz.

The last couple years, I defended Ozzie because I thought KW gave him a very limited roster.

Not this year. KW had a good offseason, IMO. This should be a good club. If Ozzie can't win with this group, it's on him. The division isn't that strong.

Playoffs or else.

tstrike2000
04-21-2011, 03:56 PM
The last couple years, I defended Ozzie because I thought KW gave him a very limited roster.

Not this year. KW had a good offseason, IMO. This should be a good club. If Ozzie can't win with this group, it's on him. The division isn't that strong.

Playoffs or else.

No excuses this year. The coaching staff is either all in or they'll be all out.

ChiSoxGirl
04-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Playoffs or else.

No excuses this year. The coaching staff is either all in or they'll be all out.

You both get a big :thumbsup: from me.

g0g0
04-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Good to see them end that 7 game streak. Now hopefully they'll get it going!