PDA

View Full Version : Happy 99th Birthday Fenway Park

Fenway
04-20-2011, 11:44 AM
:happybday

http://rlv.zcache.com/fenway_park_on_opening_day_1912_poster-p228110627556906701t5wm_400.jpg

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110420&content_id=18020212&vkey=news_bos&c_id=bos&partnerId=rss_bos

Hitmen77
04-20-2011, 12:37 PM
It opened 5 days after the Titanic sank.

Fenway
04-20-2011, 02:28 PM
It opened 5 days after the Titanic sank.

Tiger Stadium would have turned 99 today as well.

The Red Sox will milk this to death.

mzh
04-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Tiger Stadium would have turned 99 today as well.

The Red Sox will milk this to death.
I was out of the country at the end of Tiger Stadium, so I missed all of the politics surrounding it. What was the deal? Was it just falling apart, ownership, or what?

Hitmen77
04-20-2011, 03:48 PM
I was out of the country at the end of Tiger Stadium, so I missed all of the politics surrounding it. What was the deal? Was it just falling apart, ownership, or what?

I think the simple fact is that, after 80 or so years, old ballparks need a huge investment of money to keep them structurally sound and plus the old parks simply don't have the modern amenities a new facility can offer.

Wrigley and Fenway are extremely unusual exceptions to this. They hung on long enough to become national tourist attractions. They were unique enough (green monster, ivy walls, etc.) and Wrigley had the benefit of a booming neighborhood and TribCo's WGN marketing of the park as a "shrine".

Tiger Stadium was more like old Comiskey: beloved by fans and full of memories, but in a bad neighborhood and simply not enough of a tourist destination to justify pumping tens or hundreds of millions in it just to keep it standing.

In an era where teams are moving into popular "retro parks" and not into multipurpose monstrosities like they did in the '70s, I can see why the Tigers wanted to have Comerica built to replace Tiger Stadium.

gobears1987
04-20-2011, 04:50 PM

Tiger Stadium was such a dump when I went to games there throughout the 90s. People welcomed the building of Comerica Park.