PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Ozzie sacrifices a chance to win, Rays beat Sox 2-1 Therapy Thread

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Bloviate here...

GoGoCrede
04-19-2011, 08:53 PM
This should be a doozy.

soxfan21
Ugh....

doublem23
:ohno
Ozzie, watch out for that iceberg, dead ahead!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2008/08/ozzie-guillen-laughing-180.jpg
HEY, I ****IN GOT THIS, ALL RIGHT YOU MOTHER****ING *******S? NOBODY ****ING STEERS THIS ****ING BOAT BUT ME.

http://richardsona.squarespace.com/storage/2008-images/titanic_sinking.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=122 3349425906

tstrike2000
What we don't need is more cowbell.

Noneck
Just a matter of time before someone will be tipping their cap.

soltrain21
Learn to use your players to the best of their abilities, Ozzie. Dunn is not a three hitter - so to have Beckham bunt Pierre over to 2nd and waste an out over and over again for a guy who is either going to walk, strikeout or hit a homerun is stupid.

DirtySox
04-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Bunting to put a runner in scoring position for your three true outcome DH is pretty ****ing hilarious.

aryzner
I'm done watching this trash until they can learn how to win a baseball game again. (Hopefully that's tomorrow but it sure doesn't look like it will be.)

JB98
The manager is really doing a poor job this year.

Giving away out after out with idiotic bunts. Dunn can't touch the ball right now and he's still hitting third. Guys in the wrong roles in the bullpen, etc.

ChicagoG19
I think it's about time Ozzie starts tinkering with the lineup. They have looked pathetic the last couple of games.

diehardRLsoxfan
04-19-2011, 08:55 PM
**** Ozzie, between that bunt and batting Dunn in the three hole that inning was a pretty good representation of his piss poor managing.

chisox12
We really ****ing suck right now.

LITTLE NELL
Made the right move by not driving over to TB to see the Zombies play the Rays

Frater Perdurabo
Beckham is one of the better contact hitters on the team, and he also hits a lot of doubles. Why not let him try to advance Pierre with his bat? He could tie the game with a double. Or, have Pierre straight steal. Then Beckham could tie with a single OR then sacrifice Pierre to third. Then Pierre would be on third base with one out, and Dunn would have a chance to hit a sac fly to tie.

SlowMotion
:chunks

SI1020
It's still early. The air conditioning made it cold in the Trop. Ozzie can't hit, pitch or field for them. You have to tip your cap to Shields. Bunting the tying run over in the 9th with a strikeout king on deck is smart baseball. Go get them tomorrow.

Remember that scene in that Russell Crowe boat movie where the ship crew blames all their bad luck on the one guy and so he grabs a cannonball and jumps overboard after which their luck immediately turns around? Maybe it's time to give one of these guys a cannonball.

asindc
04-19-2011, 08:56 PM
:mad:

vinny
Strikeouts. Lots and lots of strikeouts. Ugh.

I'm ambivalent about having Beckham bunt Pierre over, given Pierre's complete lack of confidence on the bases lately. But the strikeouts were just killers.

To be honest, this one doesn't hurt like the ones we've given away. We had pretty good pitching, just no offense. If the offense and the pitching show up to the ballpark at the same time, we'll be unstoppable.

LITTLE NELL
Beckham is one of the better contact hitters on the team, and he also hits a lot of doubles. Why not let him try to advance Pierre with his bat? He could tie the game with a double. Or, have Pierre straight steal. Then Beckham could tie with a single OR then sacrifice Pierre to third. Then Pierre would be on third base with one out, and Dunn would have a chance to hit a sac fly to tie.

The only thing is that Beckham is swinging the bat like **** right now.

Frater Perdurabo
Remember that scene in that Russell Crowe boat movie where the ship crew blames all their bad luck on the one guy and so he grabs a cannonball and jumps overboard after which their luck immediately turns around? Maybe it's time to give one of these guys a cannonball.

How about Ozzie?

guillensdisciple
Spring training 2012 is right around the corner where the white sox will tell us that they are commited to winning just not against good pitching or when it counts. Undoubtedly someone will now say that we can't get mad because we have faced such good pitching lately which, while true, probably bodes perfectly for us in the playoffs since we only play the fourth and fifth starters in the playoffs

Dick Allen
04-19-2011, 08:57 PM
If Ozzie wants to manage like he's in the National League, then by all means let him go to the National League.

In the meantime, I'm sure glad I didn't purchase advance tickets to any games this year.

Dirty30
:fireozzie

Enough is enough already.

diehardRLsoxfan
It's still early. The air conditioning made it cold in the Trop. Ozzie can't hit, pitch or field for them. You have to tip your cap to Shields. Bunting the tying run over in the 9th with a strikeout king on deck is smart baseball. Go get them tomorrow.

I hope to God that was meant to be in teal.

Zakath
We're just a really ****ty team right now. With 9 more games on the road and 15 more before the next off-day, you have to wonder where the answers come from.

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2011, 08:58 PM
The only thing is that Beckham is swinging the bat like **** right now.

Yes, but so is Dunn, and Beckham is still a better contact hitter than Dunn.

tstrike2000
The manager is really doing a poor job this year.

Giving away out after out with idiotic bunts. Dunn can't touch the ball right now and he's still hitting third. Guys in the wrong roles in the bullpen, etc.

Between that and position players, I think Ozzie's had that problem for about the last 7 years or so.

DirtySox
:tiphat:It's still early. The air conditioning made it cold in the Trop. Ozzie can't hit, pitch or field for them. You have to tip your cap to Shields. Bunting the tying run over in the 9th one down with a strikeout king on deck is smart baseball. Go get them tomorrow.

:tiphat:

Soxfest
Another horrid offensive effort, time for changes are coming sooner than later.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
All in!

I'm now a shirt-wearing member of the "Fire Ozzie" movement. He needs to be let go before he loses more games with his gross mismanagement of the game and his players.

Save the season... ditch Ozzie.

GoGoCrede
04-19-2011, 08:59 PM
If things stay this ****ty for the entire season (and I'm not saying they will), the team motto is going to make the Sox a laughingstock.

chisox12
04-19-2011, 08:59 PM
We're just a really ****ty team right now. With 9 more games on the road and 15 more before the next off-day, you have to wonder where the answers come from.

Let's just hope the Sox don't dig themselves too big of a hole to get out of.

ChiSoxGirl
04-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Another out given away, courtesy of the ninth inning bunt. You're on the road -- you don't play for the tie; you play for the win! How in the hell can they think it's OK to give away an out on the road, and in the ninth inning?! :angry:

The offense is one step above dead, as per usual in the month of April, while the starting pitching has been pretty good. The shame in the annual offensive slumber is that every starter has to go out there and practically be perfect because he's gotta know damn well his offense isn't going to help him out. Just like his last outing, Danks deserves better than the loss he just took. On the bright side, Crain had his second solid outing in a row....

I swear, if someone "tips their cap" to Shields tonight, I'm gonna go postal! :cuss:

sox230
04-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Does anybody else realize how pathetic this is that us "normal, everyday people" all seem to know how to utilize the bunt better than one of the supposed 30 top baseball minds presently? Who are we? The Bears without any luck? Sure looks like it.

LITTLE NELL
04-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Another out given away, courtesy of the ninth inning bunt. You're on the road -- you don't play for the tie; you play for the win! How in the hell can they think it's OK to give away an out on the road, and in the ninth inning?! :angry:

The offense is one step above dead, as per usual in the month of April, while the starting pitching has been pretty good. The shame in the annual offensive slumber is that every starter has to go out there and practically be perfect because he's gotta know damn well his offense isn't going to help him out. Just like his last outing, Danks deserves better than the loss he just took. On the bright side, Crain had his second solid outing in a row....

I swear, if someone "tips their cap" to Shields tonight, I'm gonna go postal! :cuss:

I was on a cruise last week, did I miss something with this tipping of a cap?

doublem23
04-19-2011, 09:02 PM
:KW
I'm all in, dealer!

http://www.sanantoniopokertables.com/poker%20dealer%20home%20page.jpg
All right Mr. Williams, let's see your cards.

http://innocuous.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/seven-deuce-off-suit-300x225.jpg

:comiskey
Thank God, I'm dead.

beasly213
04-19-2011, 09:03 PM
It's gotten to the point where I expect the Sox to lose every night and that's sad. This team has done the same **** for years now where the hitters just seem to forget how to hit. I'm sure at some point this year the offense and the Sox will go on a tear but by that time it could be too little too late.

I haven't been in the fire Ozzie crowd and I'm not in it now.. but if he was fired I don't think I would care.

Big Hurt so good
04-19-2011, 09:03 PM
same story year after year after year after year...

Fire Walker, Fire Ozzie, pick the lineup out of a hat... do something... ANYTHING please

JB98
04-19-2011, 09:04 PM

Three different Sox hitters have used the phrase "tip your cap" or "tip your hat" in postgame interviews over the last four days.

billyvsox
I'm on the Fire Ozzie bandwagon as well. There have been recent cases of making a mangerial change and the team goes on to great success. On long as you dont wait too long to make the change. I remember the Marlins winning a world series after a change and some recent teams making the playoffs (Rockies a few years ago?)

Ozzie was great and will as be revered for bring us a title, but his stubborness and lack of preparing and motivating the club have doomed him.

Make the change now so everyone can move on

chisox12
Regardless of the bunting fiasco in the 9th, this offense still ****ing stinks right now. 1 run in 2 games isn't going to get it done.

Crooked Number
TIP YOUR CAP Chicago Whitesox®™ 2007-2011

Zakath
04-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Let's just hope the Sox don't dig themselves too big of a hole to get out of.

The only positive is that the two teams leading the division are most likely not going to stay up there. Cleveland is eventually going to come back to Earth and I don't think KC's pitching can keep them in the race.

But it doesn't matter if the Sox don't right the ship. You have to think that the bullpen issues demoralized a team that could have been 10-2 or 11-1 instead of 7-5, and now the offense is dragging down some semi-decent to fairly good starting pitching (Floyd's performance on Saturday being a big exception).

Poor Danks can't buy run support.

Malgar 12

It's one of those overdone cliche jokes. Since it obviously couldn't be that the Sox stink, it must be that the other pitcher just shut them down. (hence the tip of the cap).

Its not to "so easy a caveman could do it" level, but its getting close.

tstrike2000
Not that I disagree, but I don't remember this much anger over sac bunts when behind in the 9th here on WSI in the past.

Crestani
:angry: Dunn was a great addition to this lineup..!! This team has no life right now and they act like they know they are going to lose..!!

SI1020
I was on a cruise last week, did I miss something with this tipping of a cap? If your bank account can handle it you might want to go on another one.

kobo
If Ozzie wants to manage like he's in the National League, then by all means let him go to the National League.

In the meantime, I'm sure glad I didn't purchase advance tickets to any games this year.
This. I'm getting sick of watching games where he gives up outs by calling for a bunt. That needs to stop, but unfortunately I know it won't happen.

ChiSoxGirl
04-19-2011, 09:06 PM

It's been a comment said over and over by Sox players the course of the last week or so when talking about the pitching they've faced.

LITTLE NELL
04-19-2011, 09:07 PM
It's one of those overdone cliche jokes. Since it obviously couldn't be that the Sox stink, it must be that the other pitcher just shut them down. (hence the tip of the cap).

Its not to "so easy a caveman could do it" level, but its getting close.

OK, I thought maybe someone actually tipped his hat to the pitcher after striking out.

AnkleSox
04-19-2011, 09:08 PM
This is a very unlikeable team right now.

gogosox675
04-19-2011, 09:09 PM
The only positive is that the two teams leading the division are most likely not going to stay up there. Cleveland is eventually going to come back to Earth and I don't think KC's pitching can keep them in the race.

But it doesn't matter if the Sox don't right the ship. You have to think that the bullpen issues demoralized a team that could have been 10-2 or 11-1 instead of 7-5, and now the offense is dragging down some semi-decent to fairly good starting pitching (Floyd's performance on Saturday being a big exception).

Poor Danks can't buy run support.
At this rate, the Sox going to be so far back of everyone it won't matter. :(:

doublem23
04-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Let's sign Walker to a huge extension, AMIRITE, guys? That'll really stick to all of us who haven't been impressed with him for a couple of years now.

:bandance:

GoGoCrede
04-19-2011, 09:11 PM
So far the best thing about this season has been the nacho helmets and posters' stories about eating them, haha.

Chicago5oooh
04-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Ozzie, Walker and Cora need to go. Let Coop do it all.

JB98
04-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Let's sign Walker to a huge extension, AMIRITE, guys? That'll really stick to all of us who haven't been impressed with him for a couple of years now.

:bandance:

I remember that thread a couple weeks ago. It could live in infamy, much like the "Is this bullpen the greatest ever?" thread from April, 2007.

doublem23
04-19-2011, 09:12 PM
So far the best thing about this season has been the nacho helmets and posters' stories about eating them, haha.

1st week of the season was pretty sweet. ****in' tease.

Dan H
04-19-2011, 09:13 PM
I never seen this offense this pathetic, bunt or no bunt. One inning after another lasted five minutes with weakest ground balls, lazy looking fly balls and awful strike outs. I think things will get better, but it has to be soon. Last year's 25-5 spurt wasn't enough to get them into the playoffs.

GoGoCrede
04-19-2011, 09:14 PM
1st week of the season was pretty sweet. ****in' tease.

Well yes, that too. Just being facetious. :smile: Already seems like so long ago.

LITTLE NELL
04-19-2011, 09:15 PM
I never seen this offense this pathetic, bunt or no bunt. One inning after another lasted five minutes with weakest ground balls, lazy looking fly balls and awful strike outs. I think things will get better, but it has to be soon. Last year's 25-5 spurt wasn't enough to get them into the playoffs.

This long road trip could not have come at a worse time, we could be in a deep hole and ruin the season.

Quentin08
04-19-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm officially on the 'Fire Ozzie' bandwagon. I don't think he cares if he gets fired. He'd probably be relieved. He wouldn't have to deal with the fans or the media, and he could spend the entire year in Miami.

It's time for him to go.

soltrain21
04-19-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm officially on the 'Fire Ozzie' bandwagon. I don't think he cares if he gets fired. He'd probably be relieved. He wouldn't have to deal with the fans or the media, and he could spend the entire year in Miami.

It's time for him to go.

Tomorrow will come the press conference where he says they can fire him if he wants because he has tons of money. Or tomorrow might be the don't watch if we don't like him talk. Or maybe Oney jumps back into the action.

So many possibilities!

veeter
04-19-2011, 09:17 PM
What pisses me off, is because of the way Kenny constructs teams and the way Ozzie "manages", when the Sox are going bad, they have no chance to win. Did anyone think about Dunn having to learn a whole new league coupled with his 1000 strike outs per year? Sadly, Beckham has turned out to be a much better defender than hitter. Carlos...head case. Rios...streaky. Alexi...a dynamic idiot. Ozzie's bullpen decisions not only killed their once building momentum, but drove them into a mental meltdown. Which is another HUGE characteristic of Ozzie teams, mentally fragile. When they're down they're ****ing worthless. They are horrible right now. They will get better. They will fight back into some sort of contention we fans convince ourselves of. Then when they do, in July or so, they'll go to Minnesota or Detroit and get swept and suck all over again. It's the same season over and over again every year since...you know.

RowanDye
04-19-2011, 09:18 PM
OK, I thought maybe someone actually tipped his hat to the pitcher after striking out.

That's hilarious.

Malgar 12
04-19-2011, 09:19 PM
What pisses me off, is because of the way Kenny constructs teams and the way Ozzie "manages", when the Sox are going bad, they have no chance to win. Did anyone think about Dunn having to learn a whole new league coupled with his 1000 strike outs per year? Sadly, Beckham has turned out to be a much better defender than hitter. Carlos...head case. Rios...streaky. Alexi...a dynamic idiot. Ozzie's bullpen decisions not only killed their once building momentum, but drove them into a mental meltdown. Which is another HUGE characteristic of Ozzie teams, mentally fragile. When they're down they're ****ing worthless. They are horrible right now. They will get better. They will fight back into some sort of contention we fans convince ourselves of. Then when they do, in July or so, they'll go to Minnesota or Detroit and get swept and suck all over again. It's the same season over and over again every year since...you know.

"That about sums it up for me."

SlowMotion
04-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Tomorrow will come the press conference where he says they can fire him if he wants because he has tons of money. Or tomorrow might be the don't watch if we don't like him talk. Or maybe Oney jumps back into the action.

So many possibilities!

Think of all the managers around the league who could say stuff like that and still keep their job. It's really been a sad feeling sometimes to be a Sox fan. I was really looking forward to this season, too.

billyvsox
04-19-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm watching the Knicks without Billups and Amare tied with the Celtics late in the game. They have Carmelo and 4 guys I have never heard of competing their a****s off. It make me think I would rather have a team that loses but busts their butt and has fun.

Bring up some kids to play....oops we dont have any left.

But seriously, do we really need Vizquel, Teahan, Lillibridge, etc instead of some guys who get a chance to play

Malgar 12
04-19-2011, 09:21 PM
"That about sums it up for me."

Although to be fair to Ozzie, Jerry Manuel's teams weren't any better in that regard. Anybody besides me remember 2003 and the "great Jose Paniagua affair"?

veeter
04-19-2011, 09:22 PM

I'm all in, dealer!

http://innocuous.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/seven-deuce-off-suit-300x225.jpg

Thank God, I'm dead.
I just peed my pants! Good stuff.

Sox35th
04-19-2011, 09:24 PM

Yep...I'm glad that I too didn't purchase advance tixs!!

This team is a joke and I don't see things turning any time soon:angry:

tstrike2000
04-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Although to be fair to Ozzie, Jerry Manuel's teams weren't any better in that regard. Anybody besides me remember 2003 and the "great Jose Paniagua affair"?

It goes back a lot farther than that. The last good manager the Sox had was Jeff Torborg.

Malgar 12
04-19-2011, 09:26 PM
It goes back a lot farther than that. The last good manager the Sox had was Jeff Torborg.

Ahh the 1990 team...good times noodle salad.

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2011, 09:26 PM

Using Manuel as a foil for Ozzie is damning with very faint praise.

Malgar 12
04-19-2011, 09:31 PM

No doubt. My point is that in terms of the Sox "fading", "crapping the bed", etc. the problem is historically larger than Ozzie.

That's why I think AJ's ALDS homerun in 2005 was so huge. One of the most important in their history really. It got Sox off the schnide for the that whole postseason.

BainesHOF
04-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Another out given away, courtesy of the ninth inning bunt. You're on the road -- you don't play for the tie; you play for the win!

Bingo.

What are we doing? Playing to let Tampa beat us in the bottom on the ninth?

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2011, 09:34 PM
No doubt. My point is that in terms of the Sox "fading", "crapping the bed", etc. the problem is historically larger than Ozzie.

That's why I think AJ's ALDS homerun in 2005 was so huge. One of the most important in their history really. It got Sox off the schnide for the that whole postseason.

Yes, that Game 1 ALDS offensive outburst was a big deal. Just to get the win at home was huge and set the tone for the entire run.

tstrike2000
04-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Bingo.

What are we doing? Playing to let Tampa beat us in the bottom on the ninth?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYuQmajKqZIpkkEolQWbcigJr0jFrj3 I-Guj_kE-aahFa2mE4MqA

"You play to win the game...unless you're all in."

billyvsox
04-19-2011, 09:37 PM

No kidding!! Ask the Mets how they feel about Jerry Manual

BainesHOF
04-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks to many of you who have made me laugh with your posts in the past few days. I need it after watching the games.

Brian26
04-19-2011, 09:41 PM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2008/08/ozzie-guillen-laughing-180.jpg
HEY, I ****IN GOT THIS, ALL RIGHT YOU MOTHER****ING *******S? NOBODY ****ING STEERS THIS ****ING BOAT BUT ME.

http://richardsona.squarespace.com/storage/2008-images/titanic_sinking.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=122 3349425906

:rolling:

Brian26
04-19-2011, 09:42 PM

Same argument, different day.

LITTLE NELL
04-19-2011, 09:51 PM
This team will hit eventually, the key is not get no worse than 5 or 6 games under .500 until they do.
After almost 60 years of watching tons of games its still amazes me how teams get into hitting funks like the Sox are now in. They say that hitting is contageous and so are slumps and the Sox are proving it right now.

Brian26
04-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Ozzie, Walker and Cora need to go. Let Coop do it all.

Has Coop done anything in the past three years to impress you?

Honestly, of those four guys, the only one worth a damn right now is Cora.

Big Hurt so good
04-19-2011, 09:53 PM
It just continues to amaze me how an entire team full of good professional hitters can go through such epic slumps together...

not short, minor slumps with a few guys here or there like normal teams do but EVERYONE for LONG stretches in HORRIBLE slumps...

I get that hitting coaches have very little to do with actual results, but when it keeps happening year after year after year why not at least try to make a change?

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2011, 09:53 PM

No love for Cox?

Frankfan4life
04-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Bunting to put a runner in scoring position for your three true outcome DH is pretty ****ing hilarious.I agree. It's time to play WWOT (What Was Ozzie Thinking). There was a bunt opportunity in the third inning when Ramirez walked. If you don't bunt then, why would you do it in the 9th inning when you're supposed to be playing to win the game, not tie it? I always felt that Ozzie was a bad manager. Every team must have a book of him. His moves are so predictable.

I'm actually going to the game again tomorrow. Fortunately, I won't be expecting much.

VMSNS
04-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Listening to Ozzie on the pre-game interview with Farmer was absolutely vomit-inducing.

"I love watching the Rays play baseball."

"Hopefully we can win today."

Ozzie, get a clue. I'm sick of this clown. I've been kind of indifferent towards Ozzie for a while now, but I think now I've finally had enough. This current trend and Ozzie telling those who disagree with him to "Go be a Cub fan" is the last straw for me.

6 losses in a row, but it's okay because...

:bandance::bandance:We're all in!!!!:bandance::bandance:

Lip Man 1
04-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Doesn't look like it's going to be a good summer does it?

Lip

ChiSoxGirl
04-19-2011, 10:00 PM
It just continues to amaze me how an entire team full of good professional hitters can go through such epic slumps together...

not short, minor slumps with a few guys here or there like normal teams do but EVERYONE for LONG stretches in HORRIBLE slumps...

I get that hitting coaches have very little to do with actual results, but when it keeps happening year after year after year why not at least try to make a change?

You could set your watch to it. The slump begins in April -- if not right at the beginning of the season, within the first two weeks of it, as we've seen this year. Once June rolls around (i.e. when I get out of school for summer vacation), they go on an offensive tear, which is aided by interleague play against crappy teams and warmer temperatures, and maybe even take up residence atop the division for awhile. The Sox hit the cover off the ball 'til around the second or third week of August (i.e. when my summer vacation is coming to an end), then the offensive slumber resumes. On top of that, the pitching begins to run out of gas and the Sox fall out of contention by mid-September yet again.

tstrike2000
04-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Listening to Ozzie on the pre-game interview with Farmer was absolutely vomit-inducing.

"I love watching the Rays play baseball."

"Hopefully we can win today."

Wait till we play the Twins. Ozzie will be shining Gardenhose's shoes after games.

ChiSoxGirl
04-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Wait till we play the Twins. Ozzie will be shining Gardenhose's shoes after games.

:roflmao:

Lip Man 1
04-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Sox now 2-6 in games decided by 1 or 2 runs and have already lost two games where they held an opponent to 3 runs or less.

Don't know what to say except we got suckered again apparently with the off season hype.

Lip

TDog
04-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Learn to use your players to the best of their abilities, Ozzie. Dunn is not a three hitter - so to have Beckham bunt Pierre over to 2nd and waste an out over and over again for a guy who is either going to walk, strikeout or hit a homerun is stupid.

If Dunn is a guy who walks a lot, as people seem to believe, bunting makes a lot of sense. I was hoping Shields would pitch around Dunn.

The bunt didn't lose the game. The bunt gave the Sox a great chance to tie the game.

The Sox had two hitters come up with a chance to tie the game with a hit. Pitching around Dunn puts two on with one out, and a fast pinch-runner at first. Unfortunately, Dunn right now simply isn't much of a any kind of a hitter. It is irrelevant if he is batting third. He is supposed to be an RBI hitter (and, I am told, that his low batting average and high strikeout rate are irrelevant because he walks, hits home runs and drives in runs). If you don't want to bunt in front of Dunn, it was ridiculous to sign him to a four-year-$56 million contract to do nothing but hit.

I was disappointed to see the bunt pop up on the screen. If I were managing down by a run with three outs left, I wouldn't give up an out to move the runner to second. People told me I was wrong six seasons ago when I made the same point about Phil Garner in the ninth inning of Game 4 of the 2005 World Series. Bunting in the ninth tonight is what most major league managers do. Replace Guillen and you're still likely to get a bunt in that situation.

The problem isn't that Guillen is bunting. The problem is that the team isn't hitting. If the team were hitting, there would be no need to bunt.

I hope soon the team starts hitting again. This is about what I posted preseason that I expected from Dunn, drawing scorn at WSI. I hope Dunn proves me wrong, big time. The key, I think, is Pierre. If he starts getting on base more, I think the offense will come around. Maybe moving Quentin to the No. 3 spot would help. But right now, no one is really hitting well.

Brian26

Jerry Manuel's teams played with 10 times the amount of heart of Ozzie's team. Manuel got ripped off in 2001 with the injuries and in 2003 the GM couldn't get him a 5th starter.

SoxSpeed22
Where's a blowup doll when you need one? Not that anyone in the clubhouse will bring it up.

Hartman
04-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Its early, with the talent on this team, it wouldn't be a stretch to have success with a new coaching staff this season. :cool:

soltrain21
If Dunn is a guy who walks a lot, as people seem to believe, bunting makes a lot of sense. I was hoping Shields would pitch around Dunn.

The bunt didn't lose the game. The bunt gave the Sox a great chance to tie the game.

The Sox had two hitters come up with a chance to tie the game with a hit. Pitching around Dunn puts two on with one out, and a fast pinch-runner at first. Unfortunately, Dunn right now simply isn't much of a any kind of a hitter. It is irrelevant if he is batting third. He is supposed to be an RBI hitter (and, I am told, that his low batting average and high strikeout rate are irrelevant because he walks, hits home runs and drives in runs). If you don't want to bunt in front of Dunn, it was ridiculous to sign him to a four-year-$56 million contract to do nothing but hit.

I was disappointed to see the bunt pop up on the screen. If I were managing down by a run with three outs left, I wouldn't give up an out to move the runner to second. People told me I was wrong six seasons ago when I made the same point about Phil Garner in the ninth inning of Game 4 of the 2005 World Series. Bunting in the ninth tonight is what most major league managers do. Replace Guillen and you're still likely to get a bunt in that situation.

The problem isn't that Guillen is bunting. The problem is that the team isn't hitting. If the team were hitting, there would be no need to bunt.

I hope soon the team starts hitting again. This is about what I posted preseason that I expected from Dunn, drawing scorn at WSI. I hope Dunn proves me wrong, big time. The key, I think, is Pierre. If he starts getting on base more, I think the offense will come around. Maybe moving Quentin to the No. 3 spot would help. But right now, no one is really hitting well.

How in the hell does that make more sense? It would have moved Pierre to...second base. Without giving up the out.

Lip Man 1
Hey T-Dog:

Just wondering...

Are the Sox in a "funk" yet? I mean they started off so well, two entire games in Cleveland!

Lip

Chicago5oooh

Seriously? You can only keep one and you're telling me Cora is your guy?

Lip Man 1
04-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Brian:

I don't know if Joey is a good coach or not but I'm hearing from some folks that part of the problem with Ozzie is that he is listening to him too much.

Lip

soltrain21

Honestly - what has Coop done lately? Danks hasn't turned a corner to "upper echelon" and Floyd is pretty inconsistent. Jackson is what he was before he came here.

Nelfox02
its getting hard to find new things to say about performances like this.....its just so common. All the people saying that Ozzie has to go, I dont disagree, but does anyone honestly think that he will be gone? Maybe if they had not exercised the option (why did they do that again?) in the off season I would think there was a chance given the awful state of a 125 million dollar investment....but with his current contract situation I just dont see it.

I wonder what KW is saying about this team behind closed doors.....ah to be a fly on that wall.

Brian26
04-19-2011, 10:19 PM

Dunn's defined role works at any point in the game except when you're down to your last two bullets and need contact to drive a runner in from second base to tie the game. At that point, he's a liability. I disagree that the bunt works here, because it opens up first base so that the pitcher can work around Dunn just close enough to let him chase bad pitches and not give him anything good enough to hit. Nobody is going to intentionally-walk Dunn at this point.

Chicago5oooh
04-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Honestly - what has Coop done lately? Danks hasn't turned a corner to "upper echelon" and Floyd is pretty inconsistent. Jackson is what he was before he came here.

He has a track record of some fairly successful rotations. Joey Cora is the RC Cola to Ozzie's Coke.

You can replace what Oz/Cora/Walker bring easily. I don't think the same can be said about Coop. That's all.

Nelfox02
04-19-2011, 10:24 PM

I just cant agree with the idea of giving up outs in the ninth when you are trailing, especially on the road. Factor in the hitter you have coming up, and the move is just puzzling.....and in my opinon flat out wrong....but this is getting beat to death

PalehosePlanet
04-19-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm wondering if a 13-20 type start would finally put Ozzie's job in jeopardy.

Reinsdorf is being loyal to a fault, imo.

Brian26
04-19-2011, 10:27 PM

I'd pick Cora over Cooper at this point.

The pitching staff, sadly, has been mediocre since All-Star Break 2006, highlighted by quite a few missed opportunities and some eye-opening regressions. Not all of that is Cooper's fault, of course, as injuries and inherent talent play a lot into that.

Lip Man 1
Pale:

Well a bad start didn't last year did it? Now factor in as others have noted his contract extension.

This ownership has only fired a manager in mid season twice since they took over. That's just not their way.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
Adam Dunn is starting to remind me of Dave Nicholson.

SI1020
04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Adam Dunn is starting to remind me of Dave Nicholson. That is a horrifying thought.

LITTLE NELL
04-19-2011, 10:39 PM

That is a horrifying thought.

The truth sometimes can hurt.

thomas35forever
04-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Can you elaborate for those of us who have been born in the last 45 years?

Anyway, I was just watching Baseball Tonight and Shields had the curve working for him tonight (I missed almost all of the game). We have a lineup of fastball hitters. There's nothing you can do about that.

PalehosePlanet
04-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Pale:

Well a bad start didn't last year did it? Now factor in as others have noted his contract extension.

This ownership has only fired a manager in mid season twice since they took over. That's just not their way.

Lip

Agreed, but I was thinking that with the high payroll and the high expectations that this time there might actually be a limit as to how much JR will take.

Unfortunately, you're probably right.

thomas35forever
04-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Dunn's gonna be dropped.
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/4391/dunn-expected-to-be-dropped-in-lineup

Dan H
04-19-2011, 10:46 PM
You could set your watch to it. The slump begins in April -- if not right at the beginning of the season, within the first two weeks of it, as we've seen this year. Once June rolls around (i.e. when I get out of school for summer vacation), they go on an offensive tear, which is aided by interleague play against crappy teams and warmer temperatures, and maybe even take up residence atop the division for awhile. The Sox hit the cover off the ball 'til around the second or third week of August (i.e. when my summer vacation is coming to an end), then the offensive slumber resumes. On top of that, the pitching begins to run out of gas and the Sox fall out of contention by mid-September yet again.

This describes really well. Couldn't have said it better. Hope against hope that 2011 is different, but right now team is holding to form.

vinny
04-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Can you elaborate for those of us who have been born in the last 45 years?

Year G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
1963 126 520 449 53 103 11 4 22 70 2 1 63 175 .229 .319 .419 .738

That would be the league leader.

Domeshot17
04-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Can't wait to hear Ozzie tell the fans to **** off and not watch again...

asindc
04-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Dunn's gonna be dropped.
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/4391/dunn-expected-to-be-dropped-in-lineup

It's about damn time. Shouldn't be hitting 3rd in the first place.

thomas35forever
04-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Agreed. I initially thought he should be batting fifth, but at this point, I'd hit Carlos before him.

A. Cavatica
04-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Not that I disagree, but I don't remember this much anger over sac bunts when behind in the 9th here on WSI in the past.

Here are a few from last season to jog your memory.

Poster 1989, 8/21/2010: "**** you Ozzie for bunting. Seriously, how many times has giving up an out cost us?"

Poster MtGrnwdSoxFan, 9/14/2010: "News flash, Ozzie: In games where you're on the ropes, you don't give the opposition free outs!"

Poster A. Cavatica, 9/26/2010: "Another criminal waste of an out, bunting with Pierre on second. And the next two guys get hits..."

Noneck
04-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Year G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
1963 126 520 449 53 103 11 4 22 70 2 1 63 175 .229 .319 .419 .738

That would be the league leader.

It is also a Sox record.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Thomas:

In a nutshell Dave was an "all or nothing" type player. He hit some of the longest home runs in White Sox and baseball history (hint: something to watch for in the next two weeks in the This Date In Sox History section) but never reacted well to the expectations and pressures that were placed on him. He had a good 1963 but things just kept building and he never realized his potential.

He was one of the strongest players ever too. Jim Landis tells the story about how after a frustrating game Dave twisted the hot and cold faucets in the shower so tightly closed that nobody else could undue them to clean up. The Sox had to get a plumber in to get them loose.

Dave still lives in the Chicago-area.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8GQ9osPEgSKH1Dv9Ega4NGVeNUdiGA eltsbkm007PTRKiSsk5

Lip

RowanDye
04-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Just a matter of time before someone will be tipping their cap.

"Danks, hitters tip caps to Rays' Shields"

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_04_19_chamlb_tbamlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws

:redneck

Noneck
04-19-2011, 11:09 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_04_19_chamlb_tbamlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws

Thank you I have been sitting here waiting for that.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Sox hitters are going to wind up getting carpel tunnel syndrome from "tipping their caps" to every Tom, Dick and Harry who takes the mound for an opponent.

Lip

Crooked Number
04-19-2011, 11:21 PM
:hawk
"This opponent pitching performance tonight sponsored by New Era Tip Your Cap Corner. "

Brooks, get on it.

VMSNS
04-19-2011, 11:21 PM

Wow. Just....wow.

I need to take the rest of the week off from the Sox. It's detrimental to my health.

TDog
04-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Hey T-Dog:

Just wondering...

Are the Sox in a "funk" yet? I mean they started off so well, two entire games in Cleveland!

Lip

If you want to gloat over a hitting slump beginning 10 games into the season to support your vague and unsupportable hypothesis that the team didn't prepare well enough in spring training to begin the season well despite scoring as many runs in the first nine games than any other first nine games in franchise history to justify your hatred of the current regime, you are welcome to do so.

I am certainly not happy that Dunn is every bit the poor spring hitter I had posted that I expected him to be, and I hope it doesn't sound like I am gloating or being a jerk about it. I'm not calling for management to be replaced because Kenny Williams signed him and Guillen continues to play him. The players have done much more to lose than management has.

The bottom line is that Shields struck out Dunn and struck out Konerko with the tying run in scoring position. If either of those RBI men get singles, the game is tied. If Dunn walks and either Konerko or Quentin hit doubles the Sox have the lead.

That is why the Sox lost tonight.

TheOldRoman
04-19-2011, 11:32 PM

:bandance:I just don't understand. I was totally confident this offense was going to be a juggernaut after the first two games. After years of the same thing, I was sure this would be different. By the way, he cannot technically be given an extension. He is appointed for life, like Supreme Court Justices.

So many possibilities!Eh, he normally only pulls out the "tons of money" thing when he is either confident or pissed at Kenny. Ozzie will give the puppy-dog eyes this time, saying "you know, if I can't get it done anymore, maybe I need to be fired. Maybe we need to change the hitting coach." After which Greg Walker will run into Reinsdorf's office and cry again.

soltrain21
04-19-2011, 11:32 PM
If you want to gloat over a hitting slump beginning 10 games into the season to support your vague and unsupportable hypothesis that the team didn't prepare well enough in spring training to begin the season well despite scoring as many runs in the first nine games than any other first nine games in franchise history to justify your hatred of the current regime, you are welcome to do so.

I am certainly not happy that Dunn is every bit the poor spring hitter I had posted that I expected him to be, and I hope it doesn't sound like I am gloating or being a jerk about it. I'm not calling for management to be replaced because Kenny Williams signed him and Guillen continues to play him. The players have done much more to lose than management has.

The bottom line is that Shields struck out Dunn and struck out Konerko with the tying run in scoring position. If either of those RBI men get singles, the game is tied. If Dunn walks and either Konerko or Quentin hit doubles the Sox have the lead.

That is why the Sox lost tonight.

Wait wait wait. So with everything going wrong on this team your goat is Dunn? Why wouldn't the Sox play him? He is a monster. He just isn't a three hitter.

JB98
04-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Wait wait wait. So with everything going wrong on this team your goat is Dunn? Why wouldn't the Sox play him? He is a monster. He just isn't a three hitter.

Yeah. Dunn has 38 or more homers in seven straight seasons. 100 or more RBIs in six of the last seven seasons. He's gonna hit. He's just not hitting now, and he's been placed in the wrong spot in the batting order by a manager who is off to just as poor a start as Dunn.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Ummm T-Dog. I have been the biggest supporter of Ozzie and Kenny out there, feel free to check my posts over the past eight years.

Me thinks thou doth protest to much.

The bottom line though as many others have said, is that something isn't working, something ALWAYS doesn't seem to work with this team, this manager, this organization and it's now getting to the point where fair or unfair something may have to be done. The almost constant struggles on the field, the almost constant behind the scenes tensions, the soap opera like atmosphere around this franchise is getting beyond the point of sanity and hard for anybody, even a supporter of Ozzie and Kenny to take.

Unless something unforeseen happens it probably won't happen until the off season. Winning covers everything but since June 2006 this team hasn't been winning much more than they've lost have they?

I was making a satiric statement about what I consider some very illogical comments from you about how "well" this team started the season (which you seemed to ignore by the way) mainly that they had to pull a rabbit out of their rear ends just to get the "winning" road trip that you seemed to be trumpeting like they just won the World Series...nothing more, nothing less.

Yea they could have won more games, they could have not blown easily winnable games but the concrete fact is they didn't. You seem to take the opinion that because they did a lot of things well things are fine.

Well actually they aren't as evidenced by their record. Is there a connection to spring training? as I said once before, "I have no idea" but it seems the circumstantial evidence says there is. The brain dead execution of fundamentals, the inability to hit good or bad pitchers early (and not just two games), the "corpse-ball" attitude that seems to show itself on the field and in the dugout...I don't care how good these guys are on paper, you can't just "turn the switch" and play for "real" after six weeks that perhaps resemble more of a country club than getting ready to play against other top professionals. The manager himself says spring training is "meaningless" (direct quote)...then why should the players give a damn?

Nothing personal by the way, some of your statements just seem unusual and at time pompous.

And I asked you this once before; you never responded but I'm curious who you are? You see to have knowledge of the game, to know (like myself) some of the folks in the organization. Are you in the media? a former player? a former scout?? PM-me if you'd like.

Lip

IronFisk
04-19-2011, 11:50 PM
What we don't need is more cowbell.

that's a shameless way to drag me back in here...

but it worked.

TomBradley72
04-20-2011, 12:09 AM

He'll actually strike out more- Nicholson holds the single season White Sox record with 175 strike outs- Dunn had 199 last year.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-20-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm all in, dealer!

Thank God, I'm dead.

Wow, this is ****ing hilarious. Excellent, excellent interneting. I can't stop giggling.

kittle42
04-20-2011, 01:33 AM
Wake Me Up When September Ends...

04-20-2011, 01:40 AM

Hey Ozzie!

guillensdisciple
04-20-2011, 01:54 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYuQmajKqZIpkkEolQWbcigJr0jFrj3 I-Guj_kE-aahFa2mE4MqA

"You play to win the game...unless you're all in."

I just pissed my pants hahahahaha.

Oh and I am either growing up, or just bored of this process but I am not even angry at this team. Last year I exploded everywhere.

WhiteSox5187
04-20-2011, 02:28 AM
I didn't see the game (thank God), but I did see we sacrificed Pierre over to second. Now, I am a fan of the sac bunt, I liked it on Sunday. But I hate bunting a guy over just to second. Especially Pierre. Have him steal second and then see if Beckham can hit the ball over to the right side of the infield, try a hit and run! But God, I don't like bunting guys over to second. I know this team isn't hitting well so bunting actually makes sense, but c'mon. Not over to second.

WhiteSox5187
04-20-2011, 02:33 AM

I can't figure out why he was there, I can sort of understand a reluctance to put Carlos there because he's a feast or famine guy, Rios is scuffling, and that leaves who else? Alexei maybe? I don't know, I am glad to see he's moving though.

wassagstdu
04-20-2011, 07:01 AM
Dunn and Konerko both strike out with the tying run in scoring position and Ozzie gets the blame for putting the run in scoring position. Amazing.

The Sox make 26 unproductive outs and the game was lost because of the one productive out. Amazing.

Ozzie is the only thing standing between us and the world's record for consecutive 3-run homers! Fire Ozzie!

Jiddy78
04-20-2011, 07:14 AM
We Dunn losing.

Gavin
04-20-2011, 08:06 AM
I didn't see the game (thank God), but I did see we sacrificed Pierre over to second. Now, I am a fan of the sac bunt, I liked it on Sunday. But I hate bunting a guy over just to second. Especially Pierre. Have him steal second and then see if Beckham can hit the ball over to the right side of the infield, try a hit and run! But God, I don't like bunting guys over to second. I know this team isn't hitting well so bunting actually makes sense, but c'mon. Not over to second.

I seem to remember Ozzie actually doing this with Iguchi up and Podsednik on base ahead of him. Often.

ChiSoxGirl
04-20-2011, 08:19 AM

:gah:Not this **** again...!
:hawk
"This opponent pitching performance tonight sponsored by New Era Tip Your Cap Corner. "

Brooks, get on it.

:roflmao:

Hartman
04-20-2011, 08:29 AM
I wish these hitters would just own up to the fact that they are completely lifeless at the plate instead of flattering the opposing pitcher.

Every time the Sox have an offensive drought, Ozzie has the same diagnosis: "everyone is pressing and trying to be a hero." That's dead wrong if you ask me...I don't see any heroes stepping into the box right now. I see a bunch of uninterested hitters that may or may not get on base, and if they don't, the pitcher must have had great stuff that night :rolleyes: What other team has that kind of defeatist attitude?

guillensdisciple
04-20-2011, 08:36 AM
You know what, in memory of the White Sox recent triumphs, I am randomly tipping my cap to someone today.

fox23
04-20-2011, 09:01 AM

So it's your fault then! How dare you not buy up tickets immediately to support this team.

VenturaFan23
04-20-2011, 09:07 AM

Gold, Jerry! Gold!

SI1020
04-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Dunn and Konerko both strike out with the tying run in scoring position and Ozzie gets the blame for putting the run in scoring position. Amazing.

The Sox make 26 unproductive outs and the game was lost because of the one productive out. Amazing.

Ozzie is the only thing standing between us and the world's record for consecutive 3-run homers! Fire Ozzie! Those of you who support Ozzie personally and professionally are never going to be happy with those of us who don't. Of course Ozzie or any other manager can't hit, field, pitch or run for the team. What a manager can do is put his team in the best possible position to win. Ozzie, at least by my amateur for what they're worth standards, is not a good game day strategist. Even worse, he hasn't improved, he's regressed. So you're unhappy with us, we're unhappy with management, and nobody is happy with the product on the field. The only good thing about last night was the fact that a few posters but particularly doub, were in rare form. Laughter does ease the pain.

hawkjt
04-20-2011, 10:24 AM
I do not blame Ozzie for the sacrifice. The way Shoppach is throwing,he would have probably thrown out Juan trying to steal,and the way Gordo is hitting,he probably hits into a doubleplay...ballgame.

There are no right words from Ozzie or any of the players or Kenny in the middle of a losing streak like this....all they can do is keep playing and try to win a effing game.
Thats it. It is a deep funk when you have guys getting picked off first by the catcher...ouch.

doublem23
04-20-2011, 10:25 AM

Ozzie is the only thing standing between us and the world's record for consecutive 3-run homers! Fire Ozzie!

Obviously Ozzie is not the one on the field, whose not hitting for jack. Yes, it's not his fault that the Sox have scraped together 1 run in the past 18 innings, but he's consistently not putting this team in the best position to win, whether it's calling bunt after bunt after bunt after bunt, or it's yanking dominant SP in favor of shaky relievers, or batting a strikeout machine 3rd, or keeping Alexei buried 8th in the order...

He's not helping himself.

Tragg
04-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Ozzie gets the blame because he is intentionally giving away outs.

And as I've said, it's going to get worse; Ozzie's ego is driving this train, and he's going to "prove" to us that his lame-brained strategies are going to work.

He's an immense anchor and costs this team game after game.

Hitmen77
04-20-2011, 11:23 AM

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Indeed.

TDog
04-20-2011, 12:44 PM

If Dunn is a monster, the only reason you should be upset to see him coming up with the tying run in scoring position and first base open with a chance to tie the game is that he could be pitched around. He wasn't. (And actually, it would have put the go-ahead run on first if he had, so that would have been a good thing.) What you are complaining about is that Guillen put Dunn in a position to tie the game when he shouldn't be expected to.

You cannot on one hand argue that Guillen was an idiot for putting Dunn in a position where he was likely to fail and on the other argue that Dunn is a monster hitter. The point of having Dunn in the lineup, the point of being an offensive monster, is to have someone who can dive in runners in scoring position, especially when you are losing by one run in the ninth.

Not wanting Dunn to hit third is a question of how he affects the dynamics of the lineup on an overall basis. Saying the manager is an idiot for putting him in a position to drive in runs is arguing he is not a monster hitter.

Of course this offensive slump isn't Dunn's fault, although the offensive funk coincided with Dunn returning to the lineup. The slump probably has more to do with Pierre not getting on base as often.

However, it is Dunn's fault and Konerko's fault that the Sox didn't tie the game in the ninth Tuesday night.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-20-2011, 12:54 PM
If Dunn is a monster, the only reason you should be upset to see him coming up with the tying run in scoring position and first base open with a chance to tie the game is that he could be pitched around. He wasn't. (And actually, it would have put the go-ahead run on first if he had, so that would have been a good thing.) What you are complaining about is that Guillen put Dunn in a position to tie the game when he shouldn't be expected to.

You cannot on one hand argue that Guillen was an idiot for putting Dunn in a position where he was likely to fail and on the other argue that Dunn is a monster hitter. The point of having Dunn in the lineup, the point of being an offensive monster, is to have someone who can dive in runners in scoring position, especially when you are losing by one run in the ninth.

Not wanting Dunn to hit third is a question of how he affects the dynamics of the lineup on an overall basis. Saying the manager is an idiot for putting him in a position to drive in runs is arguing he is not a monster hitter.

Of course this offensive slump isn't Dunn's fault, although the offensive funk coincided with Dunn returning to the lineup. The slump probably has more to do with Pierre not getting on base as often.

However, it is Dunn's fault and Konerko's fault that the Sox didn't tie the game in the ninth Tuesday night.

The argument isn't that Dunn was put in a position to fail but that giving up the out is not worth the marginal benefit of having a player on second. The value of having the player on second is further diminished by the fact that Dunn doesn't hit all that many singles anyway.

canOcorn
04-20-2011, 12:55 PM

You're responding to a guy who thinks that Nate freakin' Schierholtz is the answer to all our problems.

Crooked Number
04-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Face it folks, we have another all or nothing team this year. Reminds me of the Frank, Maggs & Lee teams. When this team hits, we win. When they don't, well you are seeing the results.

Of course, this is baseball, where teams can change their identity very quickly. What is frightening, is that during the post '05 era, WhiteSox teams tend to Jekyll and Hyde. Very hard to pinpoint what kind of team it is, because they are maddeningly inconsistent.

The offense could explode at any moment and is capable of prolonged winning baseball, only to go ice cold again. Add that up, and it is roller coaster time for the fans. We should all be used to it by now. Enjoy the highs, but don't get too down during the lows. This team will rebound and start smashing the ball. When that happens, hopefully the back end of the pen can finish the games this time.

DonnieDarko
04-20-2011, 01:03 PM
The offense could explode at any moment and is capable of prolonged winning baseball, only to go ice cold again. Add that up, and it is roller coaster time for the fans. We should all be used to it by now. Enjoy the highs, but don't get too down during the lows. This team will rebound and start smashing the ball. When that happens, hopefully the back end of the pen can finish the games this time.

+1. This summarizes my thoughts pretty succinctly.

russ99
04-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Ozzie gets the blame because he is intentionally giving away outs.

And as I've said, it's going to get worse; Ozzie's ego is driving this train, and he's going to "prove" to us that his lame-brained strategies are going to work.

He's an immense anchor and costs this team game after game.

That's one opinion.

Another is he's putting runners in scoring position for the hitters who are the run-producers/RBI machines to do their jobs, and they're not.

Ozzie's "lame brained strategies" only work if the players put in the position to succeed do so.

Excuse me if every power hitter on this team is some kind of sacred cow and can do no wrong, and yet everything that doesn't work for every other player on the roster is ripped to shreds.

Tragg
04-20-2011, 03:02 PM
That's one opinion.

Another is he's putting runners in scoring position for the hitters who are the run-producers/RBI machines to do their jobs, and they're not.

Ozzie's "lame brained strategies" only work if the players put in the position to succeed do so.

Excuse me if every power hitter on this team is some kind of sacred cow and can do no wrong, and yet everything that doesn't work for every other player on the roster is ripped to shreds.
He is taking the bats OUT of run producers as well by taking away chances.
Dunn does 3 things: hits homers, walks and strikes out. Bunting in front of him is inane. Complaining about his walks his even more inane...if you don't like walks don't sign Dunn!!!!! And if Guillen is grousing even a little bit about Dunn's discipline.....
Regardless, Ozzie Guillen is giving away 33% of the team's outs to tie, not win, the game on the road. Inane it is. But it's all about his ego now.

soxlady8
04-20-2011, 03:05 PM
It stinks to see my favorite pitcher Johnny Danks not get the run support :( He has been pitching pretty well and the bats have been cold for him !!

Big Hurt so good
04-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Face it folks, we have another all or nothing team this year. Reminds me of the Frank, Maggs & Lee teams. When this team hits, we win. When they don't, well you are seeing the results.

But that's the issue here... this isn't another all or nothing team... other than Dunn, Konerko and Quentin who are each capable of hitting 40+ homers, the other 6 guys in the everyday lineup aren't 30 homer guys...

this team is capable of hitting the ball all over the field for singles and doubles, that's what makes this so difficult to comprehend this season... how can the same problems continue to plague a team year after year with different personnel? the only pieces that remain consistent are manager and hitting coach... and i'm a huge ozzie fan, but enough is enough...

PalehosePlanet
04-20-2011, 03:50 PM
That's one opinion.

Okay Russ, since you're a big fan of Ozzie, explain this to me:

Last Friday night in our 4-3 loss to The Angels, Ozzie was bunting in the bottom of the 3rd inning against Weaver and playing to scratch out a run. Which we did, so obviously he's playing the game tightly in just the 3rd inning.

Then in the top of the 4th, with two runs already in for The Angels and men on 2nd and 3rd w/2 outs and first base open he decides to have Humber pitch to Izturis. Mind you, Izturis had already hit two bullets --- and was the ONLY player to have hit the ball hard off Humber to that point in the game --- yet he decides to play it loose, and with 1st base open, decides to let Humber pitch to him. Result: 2 run double, we lose by a run.

So my question is, if he's playing the game tightly and over-managing in the bottom of the 3rd, and playing for one run, how does he suddenly in the top of the next inning stop managing the game the same way?

Bottom line is he's a ****ty manager who needs to go if this team is ever going to succeed.

SoxFan1979
04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
We really ****ing suck right now.

What chisox12 said